Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

25 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

this is part of the reason mcdermott cant come back...having to play at the jets every year plus in new england....it will never go away.

i mean the giants stadium commuter parking lot had cars parked there for awhile because they were victims in the attack.

there is no coming back from this no matter what anyone says....wait until the sunday morning pregame shows talk about this.  Mcdermott is done.

This single thing in particular isn't enough to do it IMHO.  But everything adding up is simply too much.

It was obvious that this season would be the one where he was exposed for who's he really is, but the fact that it's all cascaded so quickly is stunning.

As mentioned, he keeps giving himself rope to hang himself with.  

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what anyone but Pegula thinks.  But at some point even he's gotta consider the outside pressure and image of the franchise.  

15 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Close games with McD are like a Final Destination movie. You don't know exactly which goofy decision or call will set off the 5-sigma improbable series of events to ultimately just barely lose the game at the end, but you know it's coming.

McPuckerUp?

• Dislike 2

I don't think McD will survive the public backlash for his insensitive stupid and senseless 9/11 comments to the team in 2019.  This becoming public is a humongous embarrassment to the organization and the last thing this team needs.  Just google the way it's been received nationally already, it's about to get hammered on every news outlet in the country.

His presser looks like 13 seconds and every other defensive collapse. His facial expressions scream fear and self-doubt.  He's scared, and for good reason, as this is likely the final nail in his coffin, and may prevent him from ever being a HC in the NFL again as well.

I honestly won't be surprised if he steps down as HC at this point, as the heat is about to get VERY intense at OBD.

As a McD hater, I am both glad as this IMO will finally get him out of here as HC, but also feel sympathy as this may destroy him personally as well. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

4 minutes ago, Preds said:

I don't think McD will survive the public backlash for his insensitive stupid and senseless 9/11 comments to the team in 2019.  This becoming public is a humongous embarrassment to the organization and the last thing this team needs.  Just google the way it's been received nationally already, it's about to get hammered on every news outlet in the country.

His presser looks like 13 seconds and every other defensive collapse. His facial expressions scream fear and self-doubt.  He's scared, and for good reason, as this is likely the final nail in his coffin, and may prevent him from ever being a HC in the NFL again as well.

I honestly won't be surprised if he steps down as HC at this point, as the heat is about to get VERY intense at OBD.

As a McD hater, I am both glad as this IMO will finally get him out of here as HC, but also feel sympathy as this may destroy him personally as well. 

"Fight on, my men, Sir Andrew said, A little I'm hurt but not yet slain. I'll just lie down and bleed awhile, And I'll rise and fight again. Unless terrorists bomb my ass".

• Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Preds said:

Many of us can only hope. I still personally don’t believe he’s going anywhere. At least not this year. Unless…. And this is a huge IF. Pegula all the sudden realizes something may be wrong and he has an end of season interview with either everyone, or the key pieces to this team to gather their thoughts on the HC. It MIGHT be a way out. I still doubt it though. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

Many of us can only hope. I still personally don’t believe he’s going anywhere. At least not this year. Unless…. And this is a huge IF. Pegula all the sudden realizes something may be wrong and he has an end of season interview with either everyone, or the key pieces to this team to gather their thoughts on the HC. It MIGHT be a way out. I still doubt it though. 

Like I said up-thread, I think Pegula is sensitive to public embarrassment.

So if the fallout from this is lasting public embarrassment, Right or Wrong, I think McDermott is gone.

11 minutes ago, Preds said:

On this, my personal feeling is that something which happened 4 years ago and was dealt with at the time, should remain at rest.

I think it’s BS to dredge this up now.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

It is so obvious 

He practically loses games single handedly.

He is one of the worst coaches in crucial, high pressure situations that I've ever seen. The dumb look of confused panic on his face as he makes bad decisions at critical moments. 

His dire need to deflect all blame is such an obvious character flaw and should absolutely be a disqualifying trait for any leadership position. He's the same as he has always been. His attitude and response in the aftermath of the 13 second debacle showed who he is and he hasn't changed a bit.

For a guy who prides himself on character,  humility and leadership, McDermott fails miserably in alot of these traits.  No wonder alot of his players turn to other coaches.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Torn on all the McD stuff. I think he has reached the ceiling and coaches scarred. My head believes it’s time to make a change and knows it is very likely over but of course my heart wants to see an epic run into the playoffs. All this has to be distracting to team (like Von crap) and this team needs to be laser focused. What a frustrating year. 

I  am though starting to hate all the piling on that McD s getting. Sure he is flawed like all of us but he seems like a decent person who while making a lot of money is likely going to be outta a job soon and family will be uprooted. I don’t know, he did get “lead” is out of the drought and for that I am thankful but it does certainly seem like wheels are really coming off here. 

• Like (+1) 1

I believe it is time to move on from McDermott-- but I felt this way long before this article came out.  The 9-11 reference is stunning. How do you stand in front of a team and start to use that as an example of teamwork--- without stopping yourself and thinking-- "WTH am I talking about here?"

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

On this, my personal feeling is that something which happened 4 years ago and was dealt with at the time, should remain at rest.

I think it’s BS to dredge this up now.

Jon Gruden agrees with you.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Huh? What? said:

Hey... this requires an entirely stupid gesture response.. Maybe that was what he was going for, but... that was movie.. psychotic is the word we are missing here!... 

I just laughed my ars off as we watched that dumb movie so many times in college as I was in a fraternity.  I will admit it was some of the dumbest and most fun times as a youngster.  From the “ you must drink every time you hear a shush shush when the door opens on Star Trek to you have to drink every time in scar face someone says the f word”

thank god eventually I grew up.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Does he have good assistants now, or simply yes-men that he dragged with him from a former team?  

There's not a single distinguished coach on this staff.  

Kromer is well regarded, and Shula, but that’s about it (on offense). Though I like Brady.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.