Bills Cap Breakdown by Greg Tompsett

DrDawkinstein

Greg Tompsett is making the podcast rounds in the bye week this week and talking cap.

Gave a pretty detailed plan on Cover1 and showed how the Bills could get themselves to about $72M UNDER the cap. Or $56M under without anything too crazy.

Worth watching, or at least clicking around through, for anyone concerned with our cap situation next year.

He was also on Locked On Bills to discuss our Free Agents and re-signing options

As a little preview, the detailed plan to get to $72M...

No Brainers - Cap Saved

Restructure Josh - $23M

Restructure Diggs - $13M

Restructure Ed - $3M

Release Hines - $5M

Release Harty - $4M

Total - $48M

Being $29M OVER cap right now, these moves alone put us $19M UNDER.

Tompsett's Preferred/Likely Moves - Cap Savings

Extend Dawkins - $7M

Extend Douglas - $6M

Extend Johnson - $5M

Release Siran Neal - $3M

Release Sam Martin - $1M

Restructure McGovern - $3M

With these moves added to the above, the Bills would be $44M UNDER

Painful but Possible - Cap Savings

Release Poyer - $5.5M

Release Tre - $6M

Bills now $56M UNDER

Prefer Not - Cap Savings

Restructure Milano - $2.5M

Restructure Knox - $6M

Trade Elam - $165k

Release Bates - $1.5M

Release Morse - $5.5M

Bills now $72M UNDER

I type all that to once again reiterate, the cap is a myth.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 23

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Greg Tompsett is making the podcast rounds in the bye week this week and talking cap.

Gave a pretty detailed plan on Cover1 and showed how the Bills could get themselves to about $72M UNDER the cap. Or $56M under without anything too crazy.

Worth watching, or at least clicking around through, for anyone concerned with our cap situation next year.

He was also on Locked On Bills to discuss our Free Agents and re-signing options

No Brainers - Cap Saved

Restructure Josh - $23M

Restructure Diggs - $13M

Restructure Ed - $3M

Release Hines - $5M

Release Harty - $4M

Total - $48M

Extend Dawkins - $7M

Extend Douglas - $6M

Extend Johnson - $5M

Release Siran Neal - $3M

Release Sam Martin - $1M

Release Poyer - $5.5M

Release Tre - $6M

Bills now $56M UNDER

Prefer Not - Cap Savings

Restructure Knox - $6M

Trade Elam - $165k

Release Bates - $1.5M

Release Morse - $5.5M

Bills now $72M UNDER

I dunno if the cap is a myth or the cap isn't a myth, but the Bills have said they want Hines to play for them next season.  Hines has said he expects to play for the Bills next season.  Hines didn't fight losing his salary of $2.5M and the Bills didn't try to recover his $500k signing bonus......Hines is getting basically, maximum PS money this season ($940k)

I don't think it takes a dot-connecting genius to infer that Beane promised Hines he would be on the team next season in exchange for getting the cap relief with no negative PR/grievance filed this season.  I think there's a bunch of other moves on Tompsett's list the Bills won't make, but the essential point is correct, there are moves to be made.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I dunno if the cap is a myth or the cap isn't a myth, but the Bills have said they want Hines to play for them next season.  Hines has said he expects to play for the Bills next season.  Hines didn't fight losing his salary of $2.5M and the Bills didn't try to recover his $500k signing bonus......Hines is getting basically, maximum PS money this season ($940k)

I don't think it takes a dot-connecting genius to infer that Beane promised Hines he would be on the team next season in exchange for getting the cap relief with no negative PR/grievance filed this season.  I think there's a bunch of other moves on Tompsett's list the Bills won't make, but the essential point is correct, there are moves to be made.

Yeah, I saw it more as a menu to pick through to get us to about $50M under. Mix and match as you like!

But the Hines situation could also be benefiting Hines and what a more thorough investigation following a grievance might reveal.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

So many fans don’t understand age catches up quickly. If you restructure Diggs you’re locked in until age 33+. Not many WRs produce at that age.

Either keep him on his current structure for a year so he can groom his replacement we draft this year or move on completely in the offseason.

Restructing 30+ year old non qbs is bad for business.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Thanks for posting. A good topic to dive into. We are not in cap hell, but certainly not as flexible as we would like.  The DL is going to be an issue and we need to spend some money there.  It will be an interesting off-season if we don't make a serious playoff run.  I like most of the moves they discussed, but we do need to find ourselves a reliable #2 WR. I just hope we pull this season together and finish strong. It's been so disappointing so far. 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Not worth it imo.

Both moves Tompsett has labeled "Painful but Possible" I've thought of as "Must Do" for weeks now. Especially if we are able to extend Douglas.

I’m predicting what I think happens rather than “what I would do” …I wouldn’t have even brought Poyer back this year personally…

they probably move on from Tre and let Hyde go ..  Rapp has been a disappointment and is probably not resigned..and whilst Damar might be kept next year for the last year of his rookie deal (cheap) … he is a break glass in emergency type only..

They probably keep Poyer one more year to mentor through the replacements …whilst they draft and sign a safety in FA…

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

No Brainers - Cap Saved

Restructure Josh - $23M

Restructure Diggs - $13M

Restructure Ed - $3M

Release Hines - $5M

Release Harty - $4M

Total - $48M

Extend Dawkins - $7M

Extend Douglas - $6M

Extend Johnson - $5M

Release Siran Neal - $3M

Release Sam Martin - $1M

Release Poyer - $5.5M

Release Tre - $6M

Bills now $56M UNDER

Prefer Not - Cap Savings

Restructure Knox - $6M

Trade Elam - $165k

Release Bates - $1.5M

Release Morse - $5.5M

Bills now $72M UNDER

I never worried about the Bills cap space. Getting cap space isn’t a problem. The problem is it’s kicking the can down the road. Have to pay the piper eventually and that likely causes at least one down year. That really isn’t much a problem either if you win one before that happens. If the can is just kicked to a new staff it sucks though. 

the cap isn’t a myth though. People that think that only think of the now and don’t care about the tomorrow. 

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I suggest the Cover 1 podcast if you really want to get in the weeds.  To be fair, Greg did say that we're pry going to have to keep Josh's contract structure in place and take their medicine in either this year or next year.  He guessed 2025.  He's more bullish on Diggs skills not declining over the next two seasons than I am. 

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I never worried about the Bills cap space. Getting cap space isn’t a problem. The problem is it’s kicking the can down the road. Have to pay the piper eventually and that likely causes at least one down year. That really isn’t much a problem either if you win one before that happens. If the can is just kicked to a new staff it sucks though. 

the cap isn’t a myth though. People that think that only think of the now and don’t care about the tomorrow. 

Agreed.  Just look at the top ten teams with the most dead cap money this year.  The Bucs, Rams, and Packers went all in while the rest o the teams are either dysfunctional and/or signed some awful contracts (the Cardinals alone are eating 5.9 million in dead cap for their Jordan Phillips deal which is hilarious).  Only two (Eagles and Texans) are above .500.  How the Eagles have such a good roster still is a testament to Roseman.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: $75.32MM

Los Angeles Rams: $74.23MM

Green Bay Packers: $57.14MM

Philadelphia Eagles: $54.73MM

Carolina Panthers: $51.54MM

Arizona Cardinals: $36.96MM

Tennessee Titans: $36.56MM

Minnesota Vikings: $35.54MM

Houston Texans: $31.72MM

Las Vegas Raiders: $29.95MM

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

I get the cap concern.  But if the Bills want to pony up the bucks, it isn’t as bad as it looks. Certainly the team wants to stay relevant, especially with the new stadium season tix (PSL’s) looming.

One thing to remember is cutting players isn’t a zero sum game.  Gotta fill that position with another warm body.  And to stay relevant, those warm bodies need to be good players who may not come cheap.  Filling the roster via the draft is a good way to manage the cap with cost effective rookie contracts.  But impossible to know if those rookies will make meaningful impact. 

25 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I suggest the Cover 1 podcast if you really want to get in the weeds.  To be fair, Greg did say that we're pry going to have to keep Josh's contract structure in place and take their medicine in either this year or next year.  He guessed 2025.  He's more bullish on Diggs skills not declining over the next two seasons than I am. 

Josh will get an extension in the next 2 years so it doesn’t matter.

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

No Brainers - Cap Saved

Restructure Josh - $23M

Restructure Diggs - $13M

Restructure Ed - $3M

Release Hines - $5M

Release Harty - $4M

Total - $48M

Extend Dawkins - $7M

Extend Douglas - $6M

Extend Johnson - $5M

Release Siran Neal - $3M

Release Sam Martin - $1M

Release Poyer - $5.5M

Release Tre - $6M

Bills now $56M UNDER

Prefer Not - Cap Savings

Restructure Knox - $6M

Trade Elam - $165k

Release Bates - $1.5M

Release Morse - $5.5M

Bills now $72M UNDER

Agree with all the no brainers. They are easy decisions.

On the preferred moves: Extend Douglas? Maybe wait until he has played even halfway decent against someone that isn't the Jets? I also wouldn't cut Neal and I'd be surprised if they do. So that means I'm $35m under by that point. I definitely release Poyer, sad as that makes me. I try and get Tre to take a paycut but if not I regrettably release him too. That gets me to $47m under. I don't want to press the restructure button on Knox and I wouldn't release Bates - he is my placeholder to replace Morse at centre.

So I think I get to $55m under with those moves. They need c.$10m for their draft picks, they need c.$4-5m for their contingency pool. Then they have about $40m to find some safeties and some DLinemen (on the basis I still think the draft is where you find WR2). 

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

It's not a myth. But it is just accounting. You can spend what you want. You just have to be able to account for it all creatively. Now there are limits to what even the best accountant can do before the flexibility runs out, but the Bills are not close to that point yet. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree with all the no brainers. They are easy decisions.

On the preferred moves: Extend Douglas? Maybe wait until he has played even halfway decent against someone that isn't the Jets? I also wouldn't cut Neal and I'd be surprised if they do. So that means I'm $35m under by that point. I definitely release Poyer, sad as that makes me. I try and get Tre to take a paycut but if not I regrettably release him too. That gets me to $47m under. I don't want to press the restructure button on Knox and I wouldn't release Bates - he is my placeholder to replace Morse at centre.

So I think I get to $55m under with those moves. They need c.$10m for their draft picks, they need c.$4-5m for their contingency pool. Then they have about $40m to find some safeties and some DLinemen (on the basis I still think the draft is where you find WR2). 

It's not a myth. But it is just accounting. You can spend what you want. You just have to be able to account for it all creatively. Now there are limits to what even the best accountant can do before the flexibility runs out, but the Bills are not close to that point yet. 

Yes, it is just accounting.  Eventually they will have to account for every penny though haha

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

No Brainers - Cap Saved

Restructure Josh - $23M

Restructure Diggs - $13M

Restructure Ed - $3M

Release Hines - $5M

Release Harty - $4M

Total - $48M

Extend Dawkins - $7M

Extend Douglas - $6M

Extend Johnson - $5M

Release Siran Neal - $3M

Release Sam Martin - $1M

Release Poyer - $5.5M

Release Tre - $6M

Bills now $56M UNDER

Prefer Not - Cap Savings

Restructure Knox - $6M

Trade Elam - $165k

Release Bates - $1.5M

Release Morse - $5.5M

Bills now $72M UNDER

Restructuring Diggs is a really bad idea. What are we gonna do, pay him $40M at 34 years old? That’s bonkers. 

I also don’t love restructuring Allen again right now. He’s $48M against the cap for 2024. I’d actually extend him out 2-3 years before I restructure. 

Neither of those restructures are no brainers by any means. 

The Bills need to start shuffling out the old guard over the next year or two. You don’t do that by kicking the can down the road with bad restructures. 

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yes, it is just accounting.  Eventually they will have to account for every penny though haha

The cap isn’t real…until it is. 

Having an owner with deep pockets is an advantage. But the bill always comes do. 

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

You only have to account for every paid penny. So restructures this applies to, sure, because you are giving money now to buy cap space and you have to account for that. But in terms of then bringing guys in you can still allow yourself flex with non-guaranteed money. The Bills are at the point where they have some decisions to make, but they are more to do with refreshing an older roster than being cap strung IMO. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

No Brainers - Cap Saved

Restructure Josh - $23M

Restructure Diggs - $13M

Restructure Ed - $3M

Release Hines - $5M

Release Harty - $4M

Total - $48M

Extend Dawkins - $7M

Extend Douglas - $6M

Extend Johnson - $5M

Release Siran Neal - $3M

Release Sam Martin - $1M

Release Poyer - $5.5M

Release Tre - $6M

Bills now $56M UNDER

Prefer Not - Cap Savings

Restructure Knox - $6M

Trade Elam - $165k

Release Bates - $1.5M

Release Morse - $5.5M

Bills now $72M UNDER

I have been saying this.  Just a few years ago the saints were 100 mill over the cap and got under.

1 hour ago, SoMAn said:

summation

cap.jpg

He isn't addressing a post June 1st cut of Von.  No way Von can stay.

8 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

No Brainers - Cap Saved

Restructure Josh - $23M

Restructure Diggs - $13M

Restructure Ed - $3M

Release Hines - $5M

Release Harty - $4M

Total - $48M

Extend Dawkins - $7M

Extend Douglas - $6M

Extend Johnson - $5M

Release Siran Neal - $3M

Release Sam Martin - $1M

Release Poyer - $5.5M

Release Tre - $6M

Bills now $56M UNDER

Prefer Not - Cap Savings

Restructure Knox - $6M

Trade Elam - $165k

Release Bates - $1.5M

Release Morse - $5.5M

Bills now $72M UNDER

Dawk, I like your breakdown, and not sure if they considered the cap increase next year.  The last estimate I read awhile back stated it will go up approximately $30 mil.

3 hours ago, davefan66 said:

I get the cap concern.  But if the Bills want to pony up the bucks, it isn’t as bad as it looks. Certainly the team wants to stay relevant, especially with the new stadium season tix (PSL’s) looming.

One thing to remember is cutting players isn’t a zero sum game.  Gotta fill that position with another warm body.  And to stay relevant, those warm bodies need to be good players who may not come cheap.  Filling the roster via the draft is a good way to manage the cap with cost effective rookie contracts.  But impossible to know if those rookies will make meaningful impact. 

I’ve always felt an older or near the end of their contract players should have their replacement drafted a year or two before a decision has to be made(Bernard is a perfect example) That way they can learn from the guy they’re replacing and not be forced into action while their head is still spinning. Gives the coaches time to evaluate if they’re good enough to be the replacement and learn their strengths and weaknesses without hurting the team on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

They discuss Von at the start of the show. If he gets suspended, which seems to be a likely outcome, then it becomes manageable. They save a couple of million on the year, but there will be options to claw back cap dollars later on (in short, likely a lengthy process a year or two down the line). If no suspension then the Bills will be significantly worse off if they get rid of him. So until things get clearer they were not going to factor in the what-ifs of the situation.

51 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Dawk, I like your breakdown, and not sure if they considered the cap increase next year.  The last estimate I read awhile back stated it will go up approximately $30 mil.

The cap increase is already figured in to their figures.

Edited by Brit

9 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

No Brainers - Cap Saved

Restructure Josh - $23M

Restructure Diggs - $13M

Restructure Ed - $3M

Release Hines - $5M

Release Harty - $4M

Total - $48M

Extend Dawkins - $7M

Extend Douglas - $6M

Extend Johnson - $5M

Release Siran Neal - $3M

Release Sam Martin - $1M

Release Poyer - $5.5M

Release Tre - $6M

Bills now $56M UNDER

Prefer Not - Cap Savings

Restructure Knox - $6M

Trade Elam - $165k

Release Bates - $1.5M

Release Morse - $5.5M

Bills now $72M UNDER

Thanks for sharing that is very exciting to see,  I think this offseason will be about resetting and getting back to being a dominant offensive team. The WR room needs improvement,  I think were fine at RB/TE and maybe could use a new starting center if Morse moves on.  I think with a new DC and possibly new scheme we can maybe salvage Elam and the Bills have enough young pieces to have a reset at the safety position.  Right now safety position will be the biggest change I can see.

Again great stuff and I believe if the Bills bring back McDermott then we are going tp see some splash roster moves

Tompsett supports his prerogative with sound moves, but I don't like his prerogative, which is trying to keep a Super Bowl window open when it's apparent that the window is closed. I am not a fan of continuing to get older at key positions by extending everyone. I'd rather clear out old, ineffective players and make another run at things in 2-3 years while Allen still has tread.

• Disagree 1

9 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

No Brainers - Cap Saved

Restructure Josh - $23M

Restructure Diggs - $13M

Restructure Ed - $3M

Release Hines - $5M

Release Harty - $4M

Total - $48M

For those wondering Greg is just a fan, like all of us. And the Bills are $42M over right now. Not $29M over. So all the numbers are off. Looks like he is using a faulty number from OTC - look at the balance sheet from Spotrac.

I also call BS on them restructuring Diggs. Doing so would lock him here (with no possible way out) for the remainder, at a time when he has shown that he is not happy with the current state of the org.

The rest of the moves are likely.

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

He isn’t accounting for several things, starting with a wrong cap number. But I don’t think we are cutting Von. 

Apparently if you make a video with wrong information, people will eat it up.

• Disagree 1

This is why for the most part the cap is like a credit card where you can move and manipulate it like crazy. Problems become when you move all of your pain forever and all the sudden your like the Saints and over 72 mil heading into next year. Beane didn't do anything to wild this offseason as they ate some true cap, as long as you take your medicine from time to time you generally are fine.

Also it is why hitting on 3-4 picks a draft that turn into starters is so crucial as it keeps contract values low.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

You only have to account for every paid penny. 

Right and every bit of money restructured is immediately paid.

Every time Allen is restructured to the tune of $20+ million, his cap hit the following seasons balloon. when you have a very long contract, like Mahomes, this is easy peasy. That’s why Veach brags about Mahomes 12 year deal.

But Allen’s deal is half as long. Which is going to become a problem. He is worth every penny - don’t get me wrong - but it’s still something that will have to be accounted for.

12 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

Tompsett supports his prerogative with sound moves, but I don't like his prerogative, which is trying to keep a Super Bowl window open when it's apparent that the window is closed. I am not a fan of continuing to get older at key positions by extending everyone. I'd rather clear out old, ineffective players and make another run at things in 2-3 years while Allen still has tread.

The only thing I disagree with him is the Diggs Re structure.

Not very smart to push it down the line to receivers over 30.

But everything else he brings up I think is very reasonable and I don’t think it would mortgage the future that much down the road  (IMHO)

Edited by BillsFan130

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Every time Allen is restructured to the tune of $20+ million, his cap hit the following seasons balloon. when you have a very long contract, like Mahomes, this is easy peasy. That’s why Veach brags about Mahomes 12 year deal.

But Allen’s deal is half as long. Which is going to become a problem. He is worth every penny - don’t get me wrong - but it’s still something that will have to be accounted for.

Allen will get extended as well within the next couple of years to manipulate his cap hits again, and probably bump his pay a bit as the salary cap balloons. 

Just now, H2o said:

Allen will get extended as well within the next couple of years to manipulate his cap hits again, and probably bump his pay a bit as the salary cap balloons. 

Extending isn't a fix-all. People seem to think it is (because it creates a year or two of cap relief followed by crushing cap burden) but it just creates a new contract with even more money (current market rates). For example, the Chiefs extended Mahomes a couple months ago to create cap space for 2023, but it made $240M in cap due over the next 4 years. Which will then have to be restructured, creating $320M in cap burden, but they have space to push it because he has a 12 year contract.

Fans seem to have this idea that you can just extend and "poof" problem fixed .. if that were the case every team would give gargantuan contracts to free agents to get them to the city and then constantly restructure them until they retire. Just not how it works.

34 minutes ago, Einstein said:

And when he approaches that giant cap hit, you extend him and push it back.

This a new problem for folks who haven’t had a franchise QB for a very long time, but it’s very easy to solve.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.