Do you wonder if the league is fixed?

The Red King

I usually don't think that it is but given some of the umpires calls & them being so inconsistent from game to game and the money they have coming in from the gambling thing it wouldn't surprise me .

Where ever you have a lot of money if men or women are involved greed can have certain influences in some decision making . I hope & pray that's not the case but one never knows .

2 minutes ago, T master said:

I usually don't think that it is but given some of the umpires calls & them being so inconsistent from game to game and the money they have coming in from the gambling thing it wouldn't surprise me .

Where ever you have a lot of money if men or women are involved greed can have certain influences in some decision making . I hope & pray that's not the case but one never knows .

Individual referees being on the take is certainly a possibility but the idea that the league decides beforehand who will win games, not so much.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

What does one expect when NFL owners are the controlling interest in the gambling houses? That and NFL corporates lust for profit for profits sake is insatiable, what could possibly go wrong…, 

• Thank you (+1) 1

The fact that refs can't be fined and aren't allowed to be scrutinized plays a part in this as well. A coach or player can be fined huge money for criticizing officiating but the refs can make any call they want on the field even though it can be blatantly wrong with major impact on the outcome of a game with no consequences? Seems weird to me. I've always thought if there was one of those "we're sorry, we messed up" calls that they do at times. The whole crew should 100% face a fine

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

No. There is 100% bias on calls, but it also is proven home teams get more calls then away which I get as refs feel the noise and vibe there. Good teams seem to get more calls then bad teams... because bad teams are bad so it makes sense.

The whole idea of a fix is insane to me because it would mean that Jalen Hurts on that scramble to the side throw TD over Poyer & Hyde everyone had to do that perfectly. 

I do believe that teams like PIT/DAL/NYG who have owners that are favorites by the league and tremendous pull get more calls then they should. NE right now is kind of proof as the league circles are still kind of shocked NE is bad, in the same way PIT I always feels gets beneficial calls as the league/media can't believe they may be bad. So 100% a bias exists for certain bluebloods/or league favs over say Carolina or Tampa Bay etc.. I also believe the league may tell ref crews to call things a certain way in terms of more calls or less calls with certain matchups which can favor one team over the other. But that is probably the extent of my conspiracy feelings which really isn't anything out of the norm.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Each year I prepare myself for the officiating to be a disaster, just how it is. However, usually by mid-season things seem to level out. There are still bad calls and whatnot but it's like they get their crap together at a certain point and become mostly competent. 

That hasn't happened this season. It's been ungodly awful this year and only seems to be getting worse. 

The game has simply gotten too fast for the officials, who are not 20-something year old dudes.

Bottom line, they call too much judgement stuff that they *think* they see but really didn’t happen, or they will miss something obvious.

More reviews should be eligible as much as people hate that.  Get the calls right.

10 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

If it was 'fixed', the Bills wouldn't catch an away game in KC every effing year.

That's actually setup by an algorithm.  We play the AFC West every three years, alternating home/away.  In 2026 KC is coming here.  In 2029, we're going there.  That's already set in stone.

Every season we play against the two teams that finished in the same spot we did, in the AFC divisions we don't play, and home/away alternate every two years.  That's why we got JAX and CIN this season.

We got hit with the perfect storm.  In 2020 we played the AFC West and hosted KC.  For the 2021 and 2022 seasons both Buffalo and KC finished in first place the prior season and so played each other again.  This, unfortunately, lined up with the "at the AFC West's stadium" two-year cycle.  And then, since we hosted KC in 2020, they got us this season.  That's how we ended up going there three straight years.

This time if we finish in the same place as KC they'll have to come up here next season.  Ironically, this may be the first season we don't finish in the same spot.

Edited by The Red King
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Having an untouchable entity officiating the games means there is zero accountability and that they could be easily influenced to say, help keep a game close. The NFL embraced gambling as a way to drive up viewership. First you give the user a taste, then you get them hooked. 

Edited by Luka
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

5 years after Joe  .. what made that year special ? 

from wiki:

The Saints' win was seen as a major morale boost for the city of New Orleans following the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. However, the game would later became controversial by the New Orleans Saints bounty scandal, when the NFL determined in 2012 that the Saints operated a slush fund between the 2009 and 2011 seasons to pay out bounties to their players for injuring their opponents.[12]

4 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

from wiki:

The Saints' win was seen as a major morale boost for the city of New Orleans following the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. However, the game would later became controversial by the New Orleans Saints bounty scandal, when the NFL determined in 2012 that the Saints operated a slush fund between the 2009 and 2011 seasons to pay out bounties to their players for injuring their opponents.[12]

Other more ethically bound sports would take away their championship but would be hard to take away the ring.

Even Putin felt ethically bound to take away a championship ring from Beli-CHEAT.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not sure about fixing the game but, why not this way of judging a play...example: horse collar to Allen in Philly. It's obvious what happened, review it, and make it right.  Change the call...seems simple to me. Or the fumble in Philly, really, you missed that? Two steps, opps, didn't hold the ball long enough. He had that ball.

• Like (+1) 1

Chris Russo had an interesting comment relating to this and the Bills.  His take basically was that the league would be crazy not to want the Bills and Josh in the playoffs so they could showcase on of their superstars.  So you’d think if it was fixed it would be to the bills benefit.

On 11/27/2023 at 2:27 PM, The Red King said:

Do you wonder if the league is fixed?

No. The idea is stupid.

Why risk hundreds of billions to win a few tens or hundreds of millions? It simply doesn't make sense. It'd be killing the golden goose.

Is it possible one guy somewhere is venal and stupid enough to try? Yeah. Sure. 

But the whole thing? Absolutely not. It simply makes no sense whatsoever.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 11/30/2023 at 4:25 AM, Zerovoltz said:

Yeah....it's scripted.

Nothing the NFL Loves more than having the Chiefs be a contender year in and year out while BOTH NEW YORK TEAMS SUCK, the Washington team sucks, the LA teams suck, the Chicago teams sucks....and Cincy has been good...the Bills (despite the lack of a SB) are a top team....what a script!  Let's make are smallest, LEAST populous and diffiuclt to market teams, the best ones out there.  And let's make sure the three biggest markets are horrible.  

Officiating sucks for everyone.  

Easy for you to say, KC has been gifted multiple big games due to the refs. TB, Cincy, Philly. Now you have that Swift skank in the crowd to help the NfL make dollars and to push the agenda. You would think your walrus of a head coach would have some class, but judging his son’s behavior I tend to think he got it from his pops. Congratulations on being a fan of a franchise full of redneck hypocrites. Now that that has been said why don’t you go to the cesspool of KC fans on their board instead of littering your garbage on ours…you simply don’t belong here. Hope the door drills you on the way out. 

Edited by EffKCChiefs
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/26/2023 at 11:29 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You can’t do it. Too many people involved. But you can have 1-2 bad apples and they can do enough damage.

But no, I don’t believe the NFL is fixed. Officiating isnt getting worse, it’s always been bad. We just have more rules and more cameras now. Rules complicate an already difficult job. Cameras show every mistake they make in 4k ultra slow motion.

It really wouldn't take much to influence the outcome of certain games at the officiating level.  Point spreads are on a thin edge and a few penalty calls or avoidances can affect the score and the results ATS.  

Extreme amounts of money on the line. 

People in a position of great power. 

People with money to tempt and corrupt those in power.  

As for some kind of pre-determined script on the season that is very doubtful and as you mentioned too many people involved.  

12 hours ago, rocky61 said:

I'm not sure about fixing the game but, why not this way of judging a play...example: horse collar to Allen in Philly. It's obvious what happened, review it, and make it right.  Change the call...seems simple to me. Or the fumble in Philly, really, you missed that? Two steps, opps, didn't hold the ball long enough. He had that ball.

C'mon man, you know that for it to be a catch it requires ...

5 Golden steps

3 Football moves

And a Partridge in a Pear Tree.

11 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

All it takes is one bad apple. Yes. I’d say 99% the outcome is known before the game is played. 

what's the 0.1%?

anyway, for those who can't think too deep into why this is a ridiculous question, consider the only reason you must to reject this ultimate goofball conspiracy:

why would any owner ever consent to allowing the refs to favor another owner's team? 

See?  It's a silly question.  Not "fixed"?

I tell this story every time this topic comes up.  

In the late 80s when I was single and responsibly wagering on games for the added thrill there was a certain Sunday where all the favorites were winning ATS including a late game was in the final quarter- I forget the teams. 

This was the final game to close out the day and the favorite was winning but not ATS.  Maybe a point or two under the spread but moving the ball easily into field goal range which would have put them over.   They were on the opponents 35 or 40 or so.  

The next play was a big gainer but was called back because of a questionable penalty.  It happened THREE MORE TIMES in a row.  This put them way back to their own territory first and 40 or something like that and they coundn't convert and it was the only game of that didn't cover.    

Coincidence?  

Oh, I think it's fixed sometimes. That horse collar decision was unbelievable. (or no decision) It happens all the time. What, the Patriots favourable calls towards them and Brady didn't happen? It's a forward pass Tom...I think the refs played a huge part in New England's wins. Just say'n...

35 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

The only way the NFL could be rigged is via the refs. No way the players could get it accomplished.

It's not rigged but the refs have too much influence on the game

You best me to it, the only "rigging" could be telling officials to look for particular things that one team does much more than other 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Chris Russo had an interesting comment relating to this and the Bills.  His take basically was that the league would be crazy not to want the Bills and Josh in the playoffs so they could showcase on of their superstars.  So you’d think if it was fixed it would be to the bills benefit.

If it were fixed, who is in the playoffs wouldn't matter, who wins week to week would.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

what's the 0.1%?

anyway, for those who can't think too deep into why this is a ridiculous question, consider the only reason you must to reject this ultimate goofball conspiracy:

why would any owner ever consent to allowing the refs to favor another owner's team? 

See?  It's a silly question.  Not "fixed"?

Easy

$$$

make money who cares / losing teams have proven to be profitable 

12 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

You best me to it, the only "rigging" could be telling officials to look for particular things that one team does much more than other 

You can’t tell me refs don’t dictate gsmes

ie

Philly vs Buffalo 10 penalties to 1 in the first half

seemed to slow down the smack down we were giving them

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.