Do you wonder if the league is fixed?

The Red King

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

That's the problem.  The NFL finally realized there's nothing we can do, which is why the bad officiating is so obvious this season, all around.

The playing of the game has also been mediocre overall this season.  I used to like watching other games with QBs like Brees, Peyton Manning, Rodgers, Rivers, etc.  Now, we’re lucky to see a couple games that are worth watching.  

Even Brady agrees with me.

You have sons of ex-refs working the game.  Nepotism is real. Of course it's corrupted!

Fixed straight up, no. Buy they push outcomes. 

Owners are fined. Ralph was fined $50k in 1998 for speaking out about the "Just Give It To 'em" game in Foxborough.  They were building a new stadium in New England at that time on Krafty's own dime.

What's amazing is we are building but can't buy a break.  You'd think the League is setting us up to fail...  Or are we just too loyal they know they have us on a leash?

1 minute ago, BobbyC81 said:

The playing of the game has also been mediocre overall this season.  I used to like watching other games with QBs like Brees, Peyton Manning, Rodgers, Rivers, etc.  Now, we’re lucky to see a couple games that are worth watching.  

Even Brady agrees with me.

Did you see Alex Smith on this topic? Skewered Brady and rightly so!

https://x.com/_mlfootball/status/1728808103553204251?s=42&t=fcgz37_PnkvXe-Cr_UaALg

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Y

What's amazing is we are building but can't buy a break.  You'd think the League is setting us up to fail...  Or are we just too loyal they know they have us on a leash?

Yet the Bucs are “permitted” to win two SBs?

The Bills might have a small home market( which sells out and travel’s to away games ..) but they have fans all over the country since Josh Allen…

Now their season is in the toilet with 6 weeks remaining… makes no sense ??

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

The Bills might have a small home market( which sells out and travel’s to away games ..) but they have fans all over the country since Josh Allen…

Yeah...

This points to external forces. Refs, that pushing outcomes is real:

"The Bills are the 40th team since 1970 merger to have 500 yards, 10 third down conversions, and a positive turnover margin in a game. They are the first team to lose in that scenario. Teams were 39-0 entering today."

What more can a coach and his players do? Walk on water. Turn water into wine?

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I think about this a lot. Why not fix it for the Bills today? 

What I’ve come to learn is that it’s not always obvious who they choose and why. 

I think there are a few different flavors of fixing. 

1. A certain team MUST win. Think tuck rule. 

2. They prefer a team to win but if the other team is too good, just let the blowout happen. Not worth the obvious phony calls. I think that was what happened today in the 1st half. 

3. Affecting the gambling line. 

4. They don’t care who wins, just keep it close and let the game come down to a late drive. This is most of them. Very common in the NBA too (extending series to 7 games). 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

I think about this a lot. Why not fix it for the Bills today? 

What I’ve come to learn is that it’s not always obvious who they choose and why. 

I think there are a few different flavors of fixing. 

1. A certain team MUST win. Think tuck rule. 

2. They prefer a team to win but if the other team is too good, just let the blowout happen. Not worth the obvious phony calls. I think that was what happened today in the 1st half. 

3. Affecting the gambling line. 

4. They don’t care who wins, just keep it close and let the game come down to a late drive. This is most of them. Very common in the NBA too (extending series to 7 games). 

AND there was an actual NBA ref scandal!

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

Remember the replacement refs in 2013 or whatever? Everyone made fun of those guys. Then when the union signed a deal I remember the first game where smug Steratore made the first call with the "real" refs back. He got a standing ovation. I puked in my mouth a bit at that moment. Those replacement refs would have been fine long term and drained the scum from the pond at the same time. Now Steratore is a schill for cbs and he still sickens me. Fixed or general incompetence, the NFL sees no reason to fix it or acknowledge it is a problem.

I remember in that season teams that traditionally got favorable calls were getting screwed over for once😁

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You need more than owners and officials. What is the point of fixing a game? What money? Who is getting the money in your opinion?

People want a conspiracy badly. 

I am not going to answer your questions, because I would like for you to think for yourself. 

Here’s a better conspiracy for you.. 

How is it that a multi-billion dollar industry suffers from league wide poor officiating year after year, and yet do “nothing” about it? 

Why is it an automatic fine (and usually the most costly) when players and coaches speak out about the officiating? 

Why don’t the officials have to talk to the press after each game like the coaches and players? Surely the press would have some questions for them as well, since they largely impact the outcome of each game.. 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

This dates back to way before Josh Allen. Even before Josh Allen was born.

This iscnot a new phenomenon. The NFL has long favored teams to win that miraculously get all the calls.  I remember the Bucs getting a lot of BS calls in their Super Bowl win over the Chiefs.  I also remember Super Bowl XL between Seattle and Pittsburgh.  All week on NFL Channel they were playing up it being the Bus' last game in his home town blah blah blah.  The officiating in that game was a lot like today's.

But now that the NFL is in bed with gambling I am more suspicious.  The referees huddling up with a direct line to New York smells bad to me as does the way games are called involving the glamour teams.  I quit watching the NBA a long time ago cuz their refs absolutely decide a lot of games. I don't want to quit watching NFL football too, but I do think I'm going to start taking it less seriously and  not get emotionally involved if I can.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don't think the league itself is fixed.  I do think there are a lot of bad referees and also biased ones that obviously favor certain teams.  They may not outright fix games but they certainly do at least a little to sway it.  I've seen some horrible calls in my 40+ years of watching.  That extends to all games and teams, not just the Bills.  I think today was the most obviously biased crap I have ever watched in that 40+ years in any game.

The league does nothing to fix it.  The owners, teams, coaches, players can say nothing about it.  The referee's are not held accountable. It's like an untouchable mafia.  They just do what they want and it doesn't matter because there is no criticism or accountability that they have to face.  The worst that can happen is they might not be the ref's that get to call the superbowl.  Big deal.

Edited by Scott7975

Tyler Bass' second miss looked shady last night, too. 

The other tweet I wanted to post refuses to embed, I get a little note that says "Twitter does not allow the embedding of that tweet." Interesting...

You see a player score a touchdown and try to throw the ball into crowd and is unable to do so because the ball clings to his glove! He then tries to shake the ball out of his hand and cannot do it. Finally he has to remove his glove and drop it to the ground, still attached to the ball. Someone later picks up the ball and the glove is still attached! Nothing to see there though move along.

https://twitter.com/Emme0703/status/1702358319979991218?t=WSXAkFIIpmFwKvGcifb-_g&s=19

• Sad 1

The refereeing was terrible throughout the game and especially in the first half.  

However, the league being fixed doesn't make a lot of sense based on this game.  What would be the goal of the fix?  To keep the league as competitive as possible to rack up more $$$$.  Secondly, according to many, its to help big-market teams.

That would best have been accomplished in this game by having the Bills win.  The Eagles are 9-1 and playing a non-conference game.  This is one that they could easily have afforded to lose without hurting big markets.  The Bills on the other hand needed the victory badly in an exciting AFC playoff race.  The league already has the Bills scheduled in prime time essentially through the rest of the season.  Upcoming games @KC and @Miami would become much bigger marquee match-ups if the Bills win.  Allen has become the NFL poster boy.  He played a great game and having him heroically beat Philly on he road, would have had more buzz than any other outcome.

Any "fix" should have favored the Bills.

Edited by cage
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, cage said:

The refereeing was terrible throughout the game and especially in the first half.  

However, the league being fixed doesn't make a lot of sense based on this game.  What would be the goal of the fix?  To keep the league as competitive as possible to rack up more $$$$.  Secondly, according to many, its to help big-market teams.

That would best have been accomplished in this game by having the Bills win.  The Eagles are 9-1 and playing a non-conference game.  This is one that they could easily have afforded to lose without hurting big markets.  The Bills on the other hand needed the victory badly in an exciting AFC playoff race.  Allen has become the NFL poster boy.  He played a great game and having him heroically beat Philly on he road, would have had more buzz than any other outcome.

Any "fix" should have favored the Bills.

Stroud is the current poster boy, not Josh. Josh is seen as a glorified turnover machine.

And Kelce v Kelce in the Super Bowl with Swift in attendance must be a dream. Shame the 49ers keep blowing out teams at the moment…

Edited by UKBillFan

Just now, UKBillFan said:

Stroud is the current poster boy, not Josh. Josh is seen as a glorified turnover machine.

Nonsense... Allen is the Madden cover, he's in commercials for the league.  I haven't seen Stroud in anything yet.  "Poster boy" means face that is seen all the time

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.