Do you wonder if the league is fixed?

The Red King

Something was definitely up in that first half. Those calls weren’t just unfairly lopsided, they were blatantly bias toward the Eagles. 

At the same time…

No NFL official told Gabe Davis to run the wrong option on his route in overtime. That wasn’t a fix, unless you think David was in on it. 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, Vod Kanockers said:

I am not going to answer your questions, because I would like for you to think for yourself. 

Here’s a better conspiracy for you.. 

How is it that a multi-billion dollar industry suffers from league wide poor officiating year after year, and yet do “nothing” about it? 

Why is it an automatic fine (and usually the most costly) when players and coaches speak out about the officiating? 

Why don’t the officials have to talk to the press after each game like the coaches and players? Surely the press would have some questions for them as well, since they largely impact the outcome of each game.. 🤷‍♂️

I’ve always said the officials should have to face the media like everyone else and explain why certain calls are made.

I don’t think anything can improve officiating. It’s a very difficult job and they will get it wrong at times. I think the key is to make certain penalties less impactful on the outcome of the game. Defensive fouls are way too impactful. 

54 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Why would you need thousands of people to stay quiet? You would need the refs and maybe a couple people in the league office. The players and coaches get in trouble if they call out the refs at all. That’s a huge red flag. 

Why just a couple people? Refs are protected for this exact reason. They get death threats. Fans think they were paid off if they make a bad call.

One thing I’ve always wondered is why no one has created a PFF like site for officiating. Maybe I should, lol. It would get a lot of clicks.

6 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

Remember the replacement refs in 2013 or whatever? Everyone made fun of those guys. Then when the union signed a deal I remember the first game where smug Steratore made the first call with the "real" refs back. He got a standing ovation. I puked in my mouth a bit at that moment. Those replacement refs would have been fine long term and drained the scum from the pond at the same time. Now Steratore is a schill for cbs and he still sickens me. Fixed or general incompetence, the NFL sees no reason to fix it or acknowledge it is a problem.

The replacement refs actually did a better job, it was obvious.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, The Red King said:

(Please don't merge this with the thread complaining about the Bills/Eagles officiating.  This is different, with wider scope, and not limited to the Bills.)

no it isn't.  this dumb conspiracy stuff gets posted all season long.

congratulations on skipping the "search" option...

5 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

Something was definitely up in that first half. Those calls weren’t just unfairly lopsided, they were blatantly bias toward the Eagles. 

At the same time…

No NFL official told Gabe Davis to run the wrong option on his route in overtime. That wasn’t a fix, unless you think David was in on it. 🤷‍♂️

But then they made the biggest call of the game favor the Bills with the roughing call in OT that should’ve gave us the win.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Why just a couple people? Refs are protected for this exact reason. They get death threats. Fans think they were paid off if they make a bad call.

One thing I’ve always wondered is why no one has created a PFF like site for officiating. Maybe I should, lol. It would get a lot of clicks.

Why just a couple people? If you’re trying to keep something quiet do you tell every single person you come across or do you tell the least amount as possible?  

Just now, phypon said:

Not sure why people say it can't be done.  It's happened in baseball and the NBA.  Of course it could happen in the NFL.

People don’t want to believe they’ve been tricked. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Why just a couple people? If you’re trying to keep something quiet do you tell every single person you come across or do you tell the least amount as possible?  

People don’t want to believe they’ve been tricked. 

I just don’t know who is benefiting from rigging the game. Why would the owners agree to it? Why would they want the Eagles to win? 

The one thing about officiating I never understood is fans and media accept the calls that aren’t made a lot more than the calls that are made. Letting them play always wins over more flags. So why not just let them play?

I would love to know the entire process of grading officials and what punishment they receive from the NFL. I believe there’s internal grading that happens every game. But this is also secret. It seems like a lot of calls are very weak and could go either way. I understand protecting officials but I think it makes it worse. If somehow they could stop making those weak calls.

Marv Levy always had the best line. “Over-officious jerk!”

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

If you really do think it is fixed,  why do you watch?

Same reason I watch the Royal Rumble or a television show, because it is something to do that I can talk about with friends. 

Do you not watch movies or tv shows? They also have predetermined outcomes. 

What a peculiar question. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Kaenon said:

ESPN now has their own betting thing, right?

Any time money is involved, corruption will follow suit.

It was clear that Shawn Cockuli has funds coming in from places other than just the NFL after that 10 penalty first half.

The worst call favored the Bills and should’ve won us the game.

Nope.  It is not.

The rules are setup to keep these games close....If you have a big lead it is not safe and if you are trailing late it is never insurmountable.

Unlike MLB where you really earn your wins, (there are no Flags thrown after a walk off home run or a double play turned in the bottom of the 9th where the offense gets another crack at it because a player was 6 inches out of position before the pitch having nothing to do with the play...and yes i know they put in rules against the shift and how far over the ss and 2b can be)  anyway.  The NFL competition committee wants the game this way exactly.

4th and forever late in the game down 4 or 6 just heave one up and the officials will call anything close a penalty to give you another chance.  This is how the competition committee wants it and this is how they call it.

Yesterday was an atrocious day for the over officious jerks...they missed three shots to the heads of bills players, blatant PI and a ridiculous horse collar....Nothing will come of it and no one will care in a few days or weeks after the next thing grabs the headlines.  

As long as people are watching and the games are close the NFL Owners are winning.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Again, let me be clear...

I am not just talking about the Bills/Eagles games, or just the Bills.  I am referring to bad officiating all over, all season.

The Bills were even on the receiving end vs. the Giants this season.  That was a blatent penalty in the end zone, and other teams have been screwed over by the refs as well.

35 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The worst call favored the Bills and should’ve won us the game.

The horse-collar turned into intentional grounding favored the Bills? 🤔

2 hours ago, DasNootz said:

Was the game outcome “fixed” - I doubt it.  They wouldn’t have called the Kelce false start in crunch time to move them back if it was truly scripted.

Are refs taking money to impact betting lines -  it would amaze me if it wasn’t happening given the amount of money involved.

Yesterday there were egregiously bad calls made.  New York needs to step in during these moments and correct the on field errors.  The technology and systems exist. It’s worth “slowing down the game” to make the correct calls in my opinion.

That is my thinking and my wife even asked about it. I told her absolutely its not only possible, but odds are they are getting paid.  WAY too much money esp. with betting on NFL games being legal and hell even encouraged. Look at the commercials during the games for betting sites.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.