From a former McDermott Supporter: It is OVAH

Success

Diggs' face at the end of regulation and into OT said it for me. He knew we would dig deep and find a way to lose. 

Credit to the Eagles kicker for making a monster kick.

I knew that when we settled for a FG in OT we were cooked.

Yes the defense was gassed. The offense and kicker made too many miscues earlier and kept the Eagles in the game. But we completely dominated the TOP. What else did we need?

Why does it feel like everything has to be perfect for a Sean McDermott coached defense to come through? Like our offense rolls them early or we run into a Zack Wilson type and we're gifted 3 and outs by an inept offense.

McDermott and the Bills have built a league-wide reputation of not being able to close games we should have won, and finding a way to lose, often in cinematic fashion.

I don't hate the guy and am truly thankful for a culture change he brought when he came here but it's time to go. I was previously worried he was losing the players, and am now convinced.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, technobot said:

Diggs' face at the end of regulation and into OT said it for me. He knew we would dig deep and find a way to lose. 

Yes the defense was gassed. The offense and kicker made too many miscues earlier and kept the Eagles in the game. But we completely dominated the TOP. What else did we need?

Why does it feel like everything has to be perfect for a Sean McDermott coached defense to come through? Like our offense rolls them early or we run into a Zack Wilson type and we're gifted 3 and outs by an inept offense.

McDermott and the Bills have built a league-wide reputation of not being able to close games we should have won, and finding a way to lose, often in cinematic fashion.

I don't hate the guy and am truly thankful for a culture change he brought when he came here but it's time to go. I was previously worried he was losing the players, and am now convinced.

The defense was gassed? They were only on the field for 23 minutes! The offense was in possession for over 40.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Keep hearing about how should have moved on back after 13 seconds or the blown Houston playoff game

But honestly hind sight being 20/20 the move that should have been a red flag and really when we should have known McDermott didn't have it......

The guy named Nathan Peterman starting QB in the middle of a playoff push.....and then again the following season for week one 

Great fact....we saw way back then a little glimpse into the future on how incredibly stupid this guys personnel decisions were.  And because he ended the drought, he got a lifetime pass by way too many people.

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’d fire him just for putting Von Miller out there. If we can all see that Von is worthless, what the heck is McD doing on the sideline? 

Watching Von play today really pissed me off.  Just shut him down the rest of the year and maybe....just maybe we get 1 good full season before we jettison him.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’d fire him just for putting Von Miller out there. If we can all see that Von is worthless, what the heck is McD doing on the sideline? 

Well, they have a fortune invested in that guy and a lot riding on the success of his K.  They have a major conflict of interest with that.  Not unusual in sports.

10 minutes ago, technobot said:

We all knew that and McDermott should have, too.  There was no way that defense was going to get a stop at that point of the game.  Our OT possession should have been treated as four-down territory the whole way, TD or bust.  Total lack of self-awareness. 

• Like (+1) 1

I too have been defending McD (mostly because I remember how bad things were from 2000-2016...and I've been fearful of returning to those days).  But this coach cannot win close games, and playoff games are frequently close.  No way we can win a championship if we can't win close games.  If you know that you can't win a championship with a guy, then it's time to move on.  

We just keep losing close games in the exact same way.  As soon as Philly went up by 4, who wasn't predicting that we would score a TD to go up 3 and that we would give up a game tying FG.  It was soooo predictable.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

they guy needs to go  His in game decisions are bad  His personnel decisions are bad  He stays loyal too long and too much with the never ending nepotism  The endless Carolina players  Sticking with Peterman  Yeah he broke the playoff streak but its beyond time for a change  We can do better and should quickly

5 minutes ago, technobot said:

I have questioned this regime since the beginning and been roasted/ostracized but hey I just call ‘em like I see them. 

The kick in the rain was huge. Jesus Javier! 

Playing off on third down was a fish or cut bait kind of thing.  

McD does seem to play not to lose, which is a bad message to send to your players. 

Allen has looked better under Brady. He’s running again and that is what the best are doing in today’s game. 

HC is too big for Sean. There are only a handful of SB coaches.

In a world where many football coaches lack integrity, McD seems like a great guy. That alone made me root for him, but he’s done something no Bills coach has ever done, even during the drought years. He’s made me lose any sense of joy watching Buffalo Bills football. I’m not certain why I feel this way, but it’s where I’ve been since the Bengals loss.

Josh Allen’s heroic performances going to waste is the most frustrating thing I’ve ever seen from a Bills coaching staff. In our history we had teams who were bad, ownership that didn’t want to spend, and coaches who weren’t great, but McD has a unique ability to make football everything but fun. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Same themes keep reappearing which is a bad sign. Pegulas will keep McD around another year because of the extension but it's becoming clearer we might need to go in another direction. 

Even today, no one remembers that we came into the game with a great game plan. Hurts never saw so much zone. But then we didn't adjust when they did and as usual the floodgates opened when we couldn't hold them with our ultra-conservative brand of football.  

Edit: I want to see someone do the all 22 because it's hard to catch everything live...I remember we blitzed on Eagles drive to send to OT and Hurts got rushed into an incompletion. It was one of very few.  

Edited by VW82

25 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Von was walking on the the field tonight and the play was not even over.  His sorry ass needs to be benched the rest of the year and we trade him some how some way before next year.  The only thing this guy does now is make stupid tv commercials.  Because he insists he can play this year and he is really lying to himself because he thinks he can play when he can't.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Success said:

How many games like this do we have to lose.

How many games where the defense FOLDS at the end.  I don't care how well they play in the 1st quarter.

We have to move on.  We're likely missing the playoffs now. It makes no sense unless there is a change.  

Yeah the guy coaches like a b****. Time to replace him

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Hawaii50 said:

Would McD get another head coaching job next year if fired?  I think the answer is clearly no.  To me, that means he should be fired.    He might not even get hired as a defensive coordinator the way he has been coaching. 

We went from the drought to contenders.  He will get a job.  The Jets would be perfect for him.

• Disagree 1

58 minutes ago, BBFL said:

The only thing going for McD is that extension they gave him… can’t see Terry eating that much money. He’ll get another season to prove himself unless it unfolds in the same manner as this one… If so, he will be out the door mid-season. 

Cool so we are gonna waste all of Allen's prime for a washed up NEVER  has been coach who's philosophies are akin to caveman football of the early 70s lol

Edited by Billever76
  • Like (+1) 1

It’s the coaches job to make sure the team is prepared. He had the years to build the team as he wanted. If the players are not performing it is still on the coach, because maybe we should have selected, rostered players that don’t make as many mistakes. Or maybe they should be more disciplined. I’m not saying players are not at fault. But there has been no evidence of good coaching and it all starts at the top.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

Cool so we are gonna waste all of Allen's prime for a washed up NEVER  has been coach who's philosophies are akin to caveman football of the early 70s lol

Probably so. 😔

Need a train wreck this season for him to go come years end. 

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s Dick Jauron with a talented roster. If you’re defending him at this point, I don’t know what to say. McDermott is HORRENDOUS. He’s a bottom 5 coach with an elite QB. He is a loser. He should be gone tomorrow but won’t be. He absolutely can’t be back in 2024. He can’t win.

He broke the 17 year playoff drought without an elite QB. Just saying.

I'm fine if the Bills decide to move on from him. Like the OP says, his team consistently folds in these crucial moments. I'm not sure if a McD team will ever have the right killer instinct at the end of a critical game. His style is just wrong. He has the wrong mindset.

However, he's not a "bottom 5 coach." It's undeniable that the dude has a winning formula for team-building. He's just not shown that he can bring home the big ones. He's so much better than Dick Jauron.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

A lot of things in this game kind of highlighted the problems with McDermott, and while it got even harder there's still a path for the Bills to make the playoffs. Because as much as this sucked one thing seemed somewhat clear Brady and the offense wasn't a complete fluke they could absolutely go on a run, especially if we're not having as ridiculous Reffed a game as that was.

Focusing on McDermott, things that bugged me in this game his reaction to the refs, I get not wanting to make things worse, but when Allen got horse collared and they called a penalty on him and McDermott was talking to them politely, it was like "WTF am I watching here get in there face there being ***** ridiculous!" The defense in the first half was great they shut the Eagles down extremely well. The defense towards the end of the game was the same as always, it's like why do we change what works. I find myself thinking the same thing I think about burning clock it doesn't matter if it's passing or running you have to get first downs and keep the ball to burn clock and prevent D only works if you actually prevent them from moving the ball. If you're defense devolves into being so scared of the big play that it gets carved up inside and they just hurry up and hustle as they dink and dunk down into FG range what's even the point. Then once their down in the redzone and your defense is gassed from being worked down the field hopefully they don't break and give up a TD. 😒

The decision to kneel out the 20 seconds was aggravating, we have Josh Allen they have no timeouts be aggressive take some shots knowing you can't risk turning the ball over and maybe you give yourself a chance to win the game. McDermott was lucky we even won the coin toss and have some more missed calls and a bad route to be angry at, though we still got watch his standard soft prevent defense prevent nothing.

It's frustrating because in a lot of ways he's been a very good coach he has made a great culture here and is overall a good defensive coach. But I don't know it's like he's trying too hard to make the right decision instead of just doing it, like he doesn't have that killer instinct for it maybe? Like he has it at times as a DC he can call some great defensive schemes but his feel for when to do things in the game just feels off, like when he'll have us switch to a clock burning offense when we're up by 14 at the start of the second half of a game when we should probably try and make sure to get up by more than 2 scores.

He made a change at OC because the offense wasn't making enough plays.  At the very least, he should make a change at DC for the same reason and fire himself from that position.  Then he needs to be the HC and only the HC for the rest of the season.  Hopefully they can win out and make the playoffs.  I see that as the only way he keeps his job next season...and I'm not necessarily advocating that he does.  

45 minutes ago, Hawaii50 said:

Would McD get another head coaching job next year if fired?  I think the answer is clearly no.  To me, that means he should be fired.    He might not even get hired as a defensive coordinator the way he has been coaching. 

He would get a job in a heartbeat. You're insane. He's like a Tony Dungy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

It's frustrating because in a lot of ways he's been a very good coach he has made a great culture here and is overall a good defensive coach. But I don't know it's like he's trying too hard to make the right decision instead of just doing it, like he doesn't have that killer instinct for it maybe? Like he has it at times as a DC he can call some great defensive schemes but his feel for when to do things in the game just feels off, like when he'll have us switch to a clock burning offense when we're up by 14 at the start of the second half of a game when we should probably try and make sure to get up by more than 2 scores.

He is forever going to be running from 13 seconds.  

He’ll never think about that game in the heat of another.  But that colossal f up is there in the back of his mind and it’s forever going to haunt him. 

It makes me sad because I love and respect the man here.  

But as head coach it’s over.  We’re done. Time to move on.  

McDermott is not a bottom 5 coach but you are hoping he can luck into a Super Bowl with him in charge. He is just good enough to lose in big situations. I do think he would get another head coaching job but may have to take DC job before getting another shot.

If Bills miss the playoffs and Terry decides to move on hopefully he will be looking at potential offensive candidates to pair with the QB.

14 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

He made a change at OC because the offense wasn't making enough plays.  At the very least, he should make a change at DC for the same reason and fire himself from that position.  Then he needs to be the HC and only the HC for the rest of the season.  Hopefully they can win out and make the playoffs.  I see that as the only way he keeps his job next season...and I'm not necessarily advocating that he does.  

His chance to do that was last year. He wanted control, he wanted to run the D “his way” and he failed so it’s a no brained that he needs to be fired. By doing it that way he was basically acknowledging that it was his last chance.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, RoscoeParrish said:

Not at all.  I sincerely don’t think a McD scapegoat firing is the right move for a team that has been a consistent contender. 

Especially after he took the leap of firing his friend and Josh’s hand selected boy in Dorsey and clearly got that one right.  He should be praised for that move and there hasn’t been a peep of that. 

Whatever dude holy smokes

20 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

He broke the 17 year playoff drought without an elite QB. Just saying.

I'm fine if the Bills decide to move on from him. Like the OP says, his team consistently folds in these crucial moments. I'm not sure if a McD team will ever have the right killer instinct at the end of a critical game. His style is just wrong. He has the wrong mindset.

However, he's not a "bottom 5 coach." It's undeniable that the dude has a winning formula for team-building. He's just not shown that he can bring home the big ones. He's so much better than Dick Jauron.

He literally IS Dick Jauron, he just has an elite QB and Dick didn’t 

2 hours ago, RoscoeParrish said:

Not at all.  I sincerely don’t think a McD scapegoat firing is the right move for a team that has been a consistent contender. 

Especially after he took the leap of firing his friend and Josh’s hand selected boy in Dorsey and clearly got that one right.  He should be praised for that move and there hasn’t been a peep of that. 

You want McD to get credit for firing the guy he himself evaluated and hired for the position and kept him in for a season and a half that turned out to be a failure…what???

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Not sure you remember the Dick Jauron days, then. You also don't know what the word "literally" means. Regardless, McD is much more intense, with a systematic approach to leadership and team building, and was able to create a winning culture without a franchise QB. We got none of that from Jauron. Sure, he was a respectable, polite guy and good D coordinator, but he wasn't the leader McD is.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

You want McD to get credit for firing the guy he himself evaluated and hired for the position and kept him in for a season and a half that turned out to be a failure…what???

No.  He brought Dorsey onto his staff in a junior role.  Allen was Dorsey’s pick when Daboll left, hence the promotion.  McD canned Allen’s boy, and that was clearly the right decision. 

Edited by RoscoeParrish

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.