From a former McDermott Supporter: It is OVAH

Success

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

What other active head coaches would have a Josh Allen led team at .500 this late in the season? I mean that has to be the absolute floor of what even a replacement level head coach would accomplish.

You're giving a lot of other coaches WAY too much credit. 

Just off the top of my head, Staley, Rivera, Lafleur, Saleh, McDaniels (fired), Pierce, Dennis Allen, Arthur Smith, McCarthy....arguably Daboll, Reich, O'Connell.... all could easily be worse with this same team. That's way above bottom 5. If you don't think so, I don't think you're being honest and you're just emotional after a loss.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

A key question is, who is the accountable decision maker? A strong GM would fire McDermott tomorrow and probably would have after the Broncos or Pats games. But Beane did not do that then and is unlikely to do so tomorrow. Is that because Beane is compromised in some way given his tight interrelationship with McDermott throughout their tenure? And if that is the case must Beane and McDermott go together? And if that is the case how much confidence should we have in Terry getting these choices right without Kim there to call the shots as she may well have done when they drafted #17? Or is there another path forward? Can Terry just call Beane in the morning and say look, I need to roll the dice with one of you chuckleheads, clearly it’s not Sean; he is a loser. The whole world can see it …  so bring me a plan in 7 days for how to turn this thing around or else you are done, too? 

it is an interesting management and governance moment…

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

You're giving a lot of other coaches WAY too much credit. 

Just off the top of my head, Staley, Rivera, Lafleur, Saleh, McDaniels (fired), Pierce, Dennis Allen, Arthur Smith, McCarthy....arguably Daboll, Reich, O'Connell.... all could easily be worse with this same team. That's way above bottom 5. If you don't think so, I don't think you're being honest and you're just emotional after a loss.

I think .500 with an elite QB is as bad as it gets to be honest. That's not me being emotional, it should just be the normal standard. I mean it just doesn't happen in the modern era. Staley is the only coach you mentioned that has a QB even approaching Josh Allen. And FWIW I agree Staley is one of the few coaches that I would definitively say is worse than McDermott, for the same reason just on a worse scale. Bowles is up there for sure. Ditto for Rivera. McDaniels before he got fired. Other than that... I can't see any distinct advantages that McDermott gives us over any other head coach in the league.

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think .500 with an elite QB is as bad as it gets to be honest. That's not me being emotional, it should just be the normal standard. I mean it just doesn't happen in the modern era. Staley is the only coach you mentioned that has a QB even approaching Josh Allen. And FWIW I agree Staley is one of the few coaches that I would definitively say is worse than McDermott, for the same reason just on a worse scale. Bowles is up there for sure. Ditto for Rivera. McDaniels before he got fired. Other than that... I can't see any distinct advantages that McDermott gives us over any other head coach in the league.

It's very subjective, but you're giving some other coaches WAY too much credit. I've seen a lot of terrible coaching from the guys I listed and many of them have barely half the leadership qualities McDermott does. I'm not against replacing McDermott, but people are going over the top after this loss.

1 minute ago, RoscoeParrish said:

Yes, I was wrong.  I will admit I thought the problems on O ran deeper than just the OC.  Through 2 games, it’s hard to argue that Dorsey wasn’t a major problem schematically, mentally, etc. 

I think you are wrong here too but I will give you credit that you admit when you are wrong.  Nothing wrong with having an opinion though.

1 hour ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Eagles fired HC Doug Pederson just 2 years after leading his Eagles team to a Lombardi trophy. Why is McWimpy still here for the past six years of mediocrity?

And then they went to a SB and are in a top spot right now.  We are just spinning our wheels with a serial chocker. 

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

What other active head coaches would have a Josh Allen led team at .500 this late in the season? I mean that has to be the absolute floor of what even a replacement level head coach would accomplish.

Sean Payton went 8-8 with Drew Brees.

You know that there's a long history of franchise QBs missing the playoffs right?

We aren't Brady/Belichick.

Edited by FireChans

Not yet. If we miss the playoffs it might be, though.

Objectively, if we had to choose 1 of our 6 remaining games to lose, it was this one. Non conference road game against maybe the best team in the NFL and you probably should have won.

We have a bye week... let's see what they do after that. I know no one wants any optimistic viewpoint right now, but that was the toughest game left on our schedule. Maybe it acts like the Tampa loss in 2021. Maybe not. Regardless, the result of this game was the least important result of all our remaining games.

40 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

It's very subjective, but you're giving some other coaches WAY too much credit. I've seen a lot of terrible coaching from the guys I listed and many of them have barely half the leadership qualities McDermott does. I'm not against replacing McDermott, but people are going over the top after this loss.

It’s not about “this loss”

Its about the entire year, his entire tenure and the fact “this loss” happens regularly in big moments for this HC. 

McDermott has us at 6-6 with an elite QB, owner willing to spend anything it takes and an above average GM that used any resource we could to give McDermott adequate injury replacements for 2 of the 3 guys we lost for the season.  

Pretty sure most HC’s could achieve .500 with Allen, Diggs, Kincaid, Top 5 OL and a stable of pass rushers that form a top 5 pass rush.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Objectively, if we had to choose 1 of our 6 remaining games to lose, it was this one. Non conference road game against maybe the best team in the NFL and you probably should have won.

Technically, that's correct, but being real, do you really believe this team can make the playoffs?

At this point, Sean's defense folding like a cheap suit in the fourth quarter has become the norm.  And it's not just against the Mahomes and Hurts of the world.  We pissed away leads against Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, washed up Wilson, and honestly should have lost to Tyrod Taylor if not for a gift from the refs. (Nearly pissed away the Bucs game too).  Keep Sean McDermott and you're gonna get more of the same.  This is who he is.

• Thank you (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

We have a bye week... let's see what they do after that. I know no one wants any optimistic viewpoint right now, but that was the toughest game left on our schedule. Maybe it acts like the Tampa loss in 2021. Maybe not. Regardless, the result of this game was the least important result of all our remaining games.

Do you think the Bills can go 5-0 down the stretch?

Talent wise, with Allen, I actually do. 

Execution, discipline and coaching-wise.. I do not. 

Because 5-0 is likely what it will take to get in, unless the Texans, Broncos, Colts or all start falling apart to leave that 7 spot wide open or Browns/Steelers stop winning rock fights every week. 

1 hour ago, seattlebillsfan said:

A key question is, who is the accountable decision maker? A strong GM would fire McDermott tomorrow and probably would have after the Broncos or Pats games. But Beane did not do that then and is unlikely to do so tomorrow. Is that because Beane is compromised in some way given his tight interrelationship with McDermott throughout their tenure? And if that is the case must Beane and McDermott go together? And if that is the case how much confidence should we have in Terry getting these choices right without Kim there to call the shots as she may well have done when they drafted #17? Or is there another path forward? Can Terry just call Beane in the morning and say look, I need to roll the dice with one of you chuckleheads, clearly it’s not Sean; he is a loser. The whole world can see it …  so bring me a plan in 7 days for how to turn this thing around or else you are done, too? 

it is an interesting management and governance moment…

If Terry is a smart businessman, that's exactly what he has to do. Keep Beane for the time being and fire McDermott.  Start your search for a dynamic offensive minded HC.  There's definitely some out there. I think even Kim would tell him this.

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I read both your posts, I dont think he is going over the top, just what he is honestly feeling.  I happen to agree with him, just because it differs from your opinion does mean it's over the top.  Its not really over the top at all, watch our games this year.  We are a way better team than our record says talent wise.   It's coaching.  Just take a look at the teams we lost to

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Technically, that's correct, but being real, do you really believe this team can make the playoffs?

If Allen and the offense can keep playing like this... yes, I do.

50 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Do you think the Bills can go 5-0 down the stretch?

Talent wise, with Allen, I actually do. 

Execution, discipline and coaching-wise.. I do not. 

Because 5-0 is likely what it will take to get in, unless the Texans, Broncos, Colts or all start falling apart to leave that 7 spot wide open or Browns/Steelers stop winning rock fights every week. 

Yes, I think the Bills can go 5-0 down the stretch if Allen and the offense keep their level of play up.

I actually think they could lose 1 and still get in, though. I also think people are really overvaluing the Dolphins, who I could easily see losing to anyone remaining on their schedule, including the Commanders next Sunday.

Do you guys think any of our remaining games will be tougher than the one today?

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Most people will not join where I've been for a couple of years.

This was a classic big, close, exciting game...that the Bills lose.

It's what McDermott does.

Get rid of him THIS YEAR and get the rebuild going sooner than later.

you don't rebuild with Josh Allen as your QB. Everey loss, like last years regular season,  has been by under 6 points.  

I respect majority of ppl on this board. Be careful what you wish for

13 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yes, I think the Bills can go 5-0 down the stretch if Allen and the offense keep their level of play up.

I actually think they could lose 1 and still get in, though. I also think people are really overvaluing the Dolphins, who I could easily see losing to anyone remaining on their schedule, including the Commanders next Sunday.

Do you guys think any of our remaining games will be tougher than the one today?

Finally some optimism.  I agree. We'll certainly have a legit chance to win every game.  

39 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The Bills could go 5-0 but Cowboys and KC are going to be just as tough as today was.  Personally, I think the Cowboys have a better offense than the Eagles but aren't as consistent week to week.  I don't really know what to think of the Chargers game.  I feel like the Chargers suck but I also feel like we play them so little that its the team that can blow us out in some weird game that shouldn't happen.  That hasn't happened to us yet this year, but usually does.

I think you are undervaluing Miami based on past years and our past game with them.  It's unlikely that Miami loses a game other than maybe against the Cowboys and Ravens.  The Ravens were garbage today on offense.  Losing Andrews to them is like KC losing Kelce.  It was a huge loss.  Ravens D won that game.  Not sure they can stop Miami like that but maybe.  Those are the two games that Miami could lose to.  They aren't losing against the Commanders and they aren't losing against the Titans.  Miami may not have beat the good teams this year but they have won the games they were supposed to and most of them pretty convincingly.   The Bills matchup, I dunno.  I think Josh has their number.  I think McD is comfortable game planning against them.  I don't think it will be as easy as the last game though.

Edited by Scott7975

Listening to him go on about missed plays that cost us points is brutal. D gave up 30 points in just over 30 minutes and two times the O left the field and all they needed was a stop. You think he’d talk about that, not a ***** chance. Sooner he’s out of here the better. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BananaB said:

Listening to him go on about missed plays that cost us points is brutal. D gave up 30 points in just over 30 minutes and two times the O left the field and all they needed was a stop. You think he’d talk about that, not a ***** chance. Sooner he’s out of here the better. 

The defense has let us down badly by giving up multiple game losing drives this season.

Yesterday, was just another example. We would be in great shape for the playoffs but for the defense not being able to close out games. 

• Agree 1

On 11/27/2023 at 12:13 AM, TheBrownBear said:

I now believe that Josh Allen made Sean McDermott.  McDermott is skilled at building/scheming a defense that can feast on The Sisters of the Poor of the NFL, but that's about it.  His defense sucks in big games or against pretty much any top-15 quarterback.  He needs to go.

McDermotts soft zone is okay against teams who are playing conservatively offensively and trying to avoid turnovers. When teams get aggressive needing a score the defense has tons of holes. That’s why he almost always gives up the late scores. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 11/27/2023 at 8:30 AM, Peter said:

The defense has let us down badly by giving up multiple game losing drives this season.

Yesterday, was just another example. We would be in great shape for the playoffs but for the defense not being able to close out games. 

We would have lost 1-2 games if that was the case. We would be at the top of the AFC if McD didn’t fail so spectacularly at the end of games.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Absolutely fits

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Ovah

OVAH!

In gay term when something or someone is OVAH they are fabulous.
Over the top. They are gorgeous and beautiful. They can also be sassy and sometimes fierce specially in a vogue competition on the pier or at a vouge ball.
Sometimes they vouge fiercly and and fall to the floor and someone yells it's OVAH for you miss cooky. You better work contessa. LOL

I do question reliability when dictionary spells a word wrong.

I used to work a job setting type and which I was financially penalized for each mistake.

• Haha (+1) 1

McDermott (and beane) are very very involved in the design of the new stadium. Specifically any area the players will be (locker room, warm up areas, training areas, etc). So it’s no coincidence they are both signed through the new stadium opening. So those of you wishing McDermott gets let go due to the team’s record are wishful thinking. However, the absolute number 1 priority of ownership is the new stadium and the finances related to it. This includes ensuring there are $0 of overruns(team is responsible) and most importantly, recouping Terry’s investment through the sale of PSLs. Legends sold the Bills on the fact that they will be able to sell PSLs in the Buffalo market to get Terry’s investment back. 

This is the billsmafia’s chance to make a statement about McDermott. The only chance the fans have of a head coaching change is if it poses a risk to the team being able to sell PSLs. The fans have leverage! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.