This team never makes a big stop

Brianmoorman4jesus

The offense has struggled all season. At times it’s been hard to watch and it’s infuriating….That being said, more then once this offense has kept grinding and gotten us the lead late, only to watch the Defense on skates and blow it. 

It’s not just this season, it’s EVERY season with McDermott….overall we end up with good statistics defensively but we never make a stop in a big spot. If we are in a situation where momentum is changing and we need a quick 3 and out to get the ball back, the other team moves it on us every single time. No exceptions. If we get up in a game and need a stop to win…they go down the field and score every time. If we aren’t turning people over, we don’t make stops. This coach has no clue how to get firm in a big spot. 13 seconds was the reveal to the world but it’s been happening on a smaller scale from day 1. If we aren’t turning a team over, we don’t stop them. Every third down, guys wide open. Every short yardage situation, no resistance…constant penalties in back braking spots. This defense looks good on paper but when you need them to step up, never happens

• Like (+1) 7
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The offense has struggled all season. At times it’s been hard to watch and it’s infuriating….That being said, more then once this offense has kept grinding and gotten us the lead late, only to watch the Defense on skates and blow it. 

It’s not just this season, it’s EVERY season with McDermott….overall we end up with good statistics defensively but we never make a stop in a big spot. If we are in a situation where momentum is changing and we need a quick 3 and out to get the ball back, the other team moves it on us every single time. No exceptions. If we get up in a game and need a stop to win…they go down the field and score every time. If we aren’t turning people over, we don’t make stops. This coach has no clue how to get firm in a big spot. 13 seconds was the reveal to the world but it’s been happening on a smaller scale from day 1. If we aren’t turning a team over, we don’t stop them. Every third down, guys wide open. Every short yardage situation, no resistance…constant penalties in back braking spots. This defense looks good on paper but when you need them to step up, never happens

Im gonna disagree only in that the offense last night squandered many big stops

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I was convinced the whole time it was Fraizer, at this point I’m done with McDermott. Every time the other team has a 3rd down you know they are going to buy an extra second and see guys wide open. Every accurate QB shreds this zone. It’s not what we need. Im done with this guy. Get a new young voice in the room

• Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Agreed 100%.  THis is the difference between the Bills statistically dominant defense, or what it was, and a defense like KC who give up some yards and points but usually can manage a stop when it counts.

I don't know what the bill of goods that McD sold to Pegula, and continues to sell, but he's one hell of a salesman

I thought the defense was stout last night. If we’re being fair, the offense put them in terrible field position and went 3 and out most drives. So not only did they allow very few drives and forced FGs on possessions starting in plus territory, they had sacks and forced an important turnover, giving the offense a short field. You want to blame Johnson for the PI, fine but it shouldn’t have come down to that. The defense was not the problem.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

The minute Sutton scored that wonder tap TD I knew Denver came to play. Every facet, offense/defense/special teams, had some funky and underwhelming moments. 

we didn’t run the ball against porous run defense, special teams made many blunders; kick offs, punt coverage and of course the 12 men on the field, and then to top it off the defense itself missed many crucial tackles and let a QB who’s been unable to gain yards on the ground scramble for a decent chunk of yards. 

I’ve never been in the fire McDermott camp but he needs to go at seasons end unless this team makes a miracle 180° turnaround… it’s consistent errors from his game management.

Like many others point out, this guy has invested heavily into a defensive line that rarely shows up for massive cap space, roster spots and a heavy rotation. The stats are convoluted to a handful of games. 

I think the defense isn’t half as bad as some may think as they are on the field a lot by stalled drives, turnovers and spotty play choices from an offense. 

Offense is what wins you games and I, personally, feel we need to shift a coaching regime to that end of the field. Josh has played some head scratching games this year but he still has otherworldly talent that you can harness easy success from…

Edited by BBFL
  • Agree 1

only 6 points off 4 turnovers, and our O and ST giving them starts in our own territory all night.

If the offense showed up to play like the defense, we'd only have 1-2 losses.

I do believe the DC needs to be fired but not because of our Defensive performance. And I cant knock any of the players on D who show up and play with heart all the time. Unlike most of our Offense.

You want a big stop, blame the dummy who called a 2nd all out blitz coming off a time out. Coaching not putting our guys in the best position to succeed.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

only 6 points off 4 turnovers, and our O and ST giving them starts in our own territory all night.

I do believe the DC needs to be fired but not because of our Defensive performance. And I cant knock any of the players on D who show up and play with heart all the time. Unlike most of our Offense.

You want a big stop, blame the dummy who called a 2nd all out blitz coming off a time out. Coaching not putting our guys in the best position to succeed.

Defense kept us alive in the game all night.

Competent teams, like the Eagles, would’ve been up 21-0 at the end of the first Q.

I don’t understand how folks don’t get this. Unless we are ASKING the banged up defense to score points for the offense, what else can they do?

• Like (+1) 8

1 minute ago, BillsFan130 said:

Not in the 4th quarter.

Last two drives: 8 minute drive- TD.

GW field goal with time expiring 

The OP said big stops. People are really going to make it look like I am defending the coaching here and I am not, but do you think that maybe since they were on the field all game in tough spots they got wore out in the 4th? (And even then still should have won if not for bad coaching decisions)

Just now, FireChans said:

Defense kept us alive in the game all night.

Competent teams, like the Eagles, would’ve been up 21-0 at the end of the first Q.

I don’t understand how folks don’t get this. Unless we are ASKING the banged up defense to score points for the offense, what else can they do?

Well said

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah. If I'm dealing out blame it's like 40% offense (So Dorsey, I think most of Allen's woes are scheme issues), 50% McD (letting the offense get this bad without adjustments), and 10% the defense not holding up in the last moments.

Just now, BillsFan130 said:

Not in the 4th quarter.

Last two drives: 8 minute drive- TD.

GW field goal with time expiring 

That last TD drive started at midfield man… Another ST let down. Sure they could have done better but they were on fringe scoring  to start. 

Sideline to Perine and the short pass to Sutton on 3rd & 4 were the only absolute failings by the defense on that drive… They converted that due to coverage design. 

16 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Recency bias.  You can go back numerous times since McD was here and see plays where the D won the game.

Taron Johnson intercepting Mahomes to end the game last year was one.

This offense is unacceptable and the fact people want to act like because they gave us a lead late that it somehow falls on the D is laughable.  They are the only reason the Bills weren't down by 20+ after handing them 4 TO's and an average drive start of their own 42 yard line.  So tired of watching this offense remind me of the Dick Jauron/Chan Gailey/Doug Marrone era offenses.  Inexcusable.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

Recency bias.  You can go back numerous times since McD was here and see plays where the D won the game.

Taron Johnson intercepting Mahomes to end the game last year was one.

This offense is unacceptable and the fact people want to act like because they gave us a lead late that it somehow falls on the D is laughable.  They are the only reason the Bills weren't down by 20+ after handing them 4 TO's and an average drive start of their own 42 yard line.  So tired of watching this offense remind me of the Dick Jauron/Chan Gailey/Doug Marrone era offenses.  Inexcusable.

We don’t pay Josh and Stef half a billy to play Jauron ball and try to steal the game at the end. 

We are winless this season when the defense allows 21 points. That’s league average. We cannot score enough. Offense is broke.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

Can someone explain to me why we spend all these assets and cash on the DL only to run ineffective blitzes at key times?

you DL was getting pressure without the blitz isn’t that the goal?  

by not blitzing wouldn’t that have been useful to help with a spy and the banged up Defensive Backfield?

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Can someone explain to me why we spend all these assets and cash on the DL only to run ineffective blitzes at key times?

by not blitzing wouldn’t that have been useful to help with a spy and the banged up Defensive Backfield?

I swear our blitzers are specifically looking for blockers to run into, lol. It's sad. 

Or they run untouched into the QB and whiff on him. See that a lot, too. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I didn't get that.... 3x1 spy with dorian again, 7 in coverage with 5 across.  Force the 4th down.  Make payton decide to go for it or kick the long FG.   I mean hell you can man match with safety help over the top.  

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

The OP said big stops. People are really going to make it look like I am defending the coaching here and I am not, but do you think that maybe since they were on the field all game in tough spots they got wore out in the 4th? (And even then still should have won if not for bad coaching decisions)

Well said

Nope. Crunch time you need to make a stop. This is not a one time thing .

4 times this year they needed a stop when they were leading or needed a stop in the 4th to have a chance.

Want to know what the results are?

0-4.

Jax- 2 TDs in a row to salt the game away

NE- GW drive to mac jones

cinci- drains the clock to end game

Den- GW drive to Russell Wilson

The offence is def the reason they lost in a vacuum . But the defence is to blame as well as it’s the same story with them in the 4th quarter 

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 seconds is the big "didn't get the big stop" moment, but yeah, there's been countless others.  Just this season, we've seen the offense finally show up late and the D could not get that one big stop against Denver, Cinci, Mac Jones, Jags.  And they didn't even stop the NY Giants, they got kinda lucky.  There's so many more including all those OT losses...

4 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Nope. Crunch time you need to make a stop. This is not a one time thing .

4 times this year they needed a stop when they were leading or needed a stop in the 4th to have a chance.

Want to know what the results are?

0-4.

Jax- 2 TDs in a row to salt the game away

NE- GW drive to mac jones

cinci- drains the clock to end game

Den- GW drive to Russell Wilson

The offence is def the reason they lost in a vacuum . But the defence is to blame as well as it’s the same story with them in the 4th quarter 

You are arguing against a point that I didnt make. 

10 minutes ago, BBFL said:

That last TD drive started at midfield man… Another ST let down. Sure they could have done better but they were on fringe scoring  to start. 

Sideline to Perine and the short pass to Sutton on 3rd & 4 were the only absolute failings by the defense on that drive… They converted that due to coverage design. 

You have to make a stop on one of those two drives

It’s Russell Wilson we are talking here. Not pat Mahomes .

No excuse to give up a 8 minute TD drive and a GW field goal to end the game against Rus Wilson 

Stop one^ of those and you win 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

It’s been the same story with the defense for awhile now. People will point to the injuries and how well they’ve played despite the injuries, but they always and I mean always give up a pivotal scoring drive when we clearly need a stop.

That defensive line is the healthiest unit and they should be good enough to get pivotal stops which they never do. We watched Zack Wilson, Tyrod Taylor, Mac Jones, Baker Mayfield and the ghost of Russel Wilson all drive the ball down the field to either win the game or put their team in position to win the game!

Edited by streetkings01
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Bray Wyatt said:

You are arguing against a point that I didnt make. 

Sorry if I misunderstood.

But no I don’t think them being on the field all game is an excuse. Part of the reason they are on the field all game is because they don’t force many 3 and outs.

(Of course mixed with bad offence as well)

• Thank you (+1) 1

It's too convenient to blame the defense.  They were on the field for 40 minutes compared to our O's 20 mins of possession.  They held up pretty much all game and it was bound to happen with the way the offense insists on screwing around for 85% of most games.  Instead of blaming the defense...point the blame at Allen and the coaching staff.  They lost this game, the Jets game, and the Patriots game.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

The defense always sucks when it matters. 

McDermott sending everyone and getting that sack? Nice call.

WHY ARE YOU DOING THE SAME THING AGAIN? YOU KNOW RUSS IS ON ALERT NOW AND HAS TO THROW IT UP.

Wilson was averaging less than 5 yards a pass. The problem wasn't we rushed him, the problem was Taron got beat and had to recover and his first instinct was play the man not the ball and got flagged for it. Do we blame coaches or players at that point? It can go both ways but last night I blame Taron on that, as he's been horrible in coverage most of this season. 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, FireChans said:

We don’t pay Josh and Stef half a billy to play Jauron ball and try to steal the game at the end. 

We are winless this season when the defense allows 21 points. That’s league average. We cannot score enough. Offense is broke.

Nathaniel Hackett got more production out of Thad Lewis, Jeff Tuel, Marquise Goodwin and Sammy Watkins then we are getting out of Josh Allen and Diggs right now.  That's mind numbing. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.