This team never makes a big stop

Brianmoorman4jesus

Just now, BillsFan130 said:

That don’t count as stops to me.

Those teams ran out of time.

Giants had 65 yards to go with 0 timeouts with about 1:30.

And tampa had 80 yards to go with 0 timeouts in 20 seconds lol.

Those aren’t “stops “ to me

They had the ball and needed to score to win, and the defense didn't let them lol.

Why are you trying to change the definition?

If the defense tackled Russell Wilson and the Broncos ran out of time, that wouldn't be a stop?

When Josh and the offense couldn't get out of bounds vs the Dolphins last year to kick a field goal, the Dolphins defense didn't stop us, we just ran out of time?

What?

What is your definition of a "stop?"  They have to get the ball back for the offense to go victory formation at least once?

What about putting them in a position to miss a field goal?  Is that a stop?

To be fair..not many teams get that stop. If a team needs a FG to win/tie in the modern NFL, there is a greater than not chance they're going to get the attempt. Whether its on their own, or aided by officials/calls, the ball is getting moved.  

Great defense in the NFL doesn't mean what it used to. (though the trend of defense/run game seems to cycling back)

55 minutes ago, FireChans said:

They had the ball and needed to score to win, and the defense didn't let them lol.

Why are you trying to change the definition?

If the defense tackled Russell Wilson and the Broncos ran out of time, that wouldn't be a stop?

When Josh and the offense couldn't get out of bounds vs the Dolphins last year to kick a field goal, the Dolphins defense didn't stop us, we just ran out of time?

What?

What is your definition of a "stop?"  They have to get the ball back for the offense to go victory formation at least once?

What about putting them in a position to miss a field goal?  Is that a stop?

A “stop” isn’t objective. There has to be lots of context to it.

Fine you want to argue the giants one was a stop? I will disagree but ok. The clock and no timeouts had more of a factor than the bills defence making plays in my opinion.

the bucs one was not a “stop”… 

80 yards to go with 20 seconds on the clock with 0 timeouts.

What defence would actually piss that away? 

It was even amazing Tampa got off a Hail Mary and should have had 1st and goal from the 1 from a missed PI call.

Giants one? Fine I get your argument but I’ll disagree. Bucs one? That is not a “stop”. 

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Disagree 1

21 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Fine you want to argue the giants one was a stop? I will disagree but ok. The clock and no timeouts had more of a factor than the bills defence making plays in my opinion.

It was even amazing Tampa got off a Hail Mary and should have had 1st and goal from the 1 from a missed PI call.

Giants one? Fine I get your argument but I’ll disagree. Bucs one? That is not a “stop”. 

You only disagree because it doesn’t help your argument.

A pass defensed on the goal line to end the game is a stop for everyone else on the planet. 

14 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The offense has struggled all season. At times it’s been hard to watch and it’s infuriating….That being said, more then once this offense has kept grinding and gotten us the lead late, only to watch the Defense on skates and blow it. 

It’s not just this season, it’s EVERY season with McDermott….overall we end up with good statistics defensively but we never make a stop in a big spot. If we are in a situation where momentum is changing and we need a quick 3 and out to get the ball back, the other team moves it on us every single time. No exceptions. If we get up in a game and need a stop to win…they go down the field and score every time. If we aren’t turning people over, we don’t make stops. This coach has no clue how to get firm in a big spot. 13 seconds was the reveal to the world but it’s been happening on a smaller scale from day 1. If we aren’t turning a team over, we don’t stop them. Every third down, guys wide open. Every short yardage situation, no resistance…constant penalties in back braking spots. This defense looks good on paper but when you need them to step up, never happens

It’s because his bend but don’t break conservative defense that he’s employed since he’s been here. Then he does something like he did last night and 2 blitzes in a row to get burned and he won’t blitz again for 5 more games. 

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

The ball was delivered in the endzone to win the game. A catch or a pass interference ,as you should well known we are highly prone to, is a loss. Games don't get much closer than one play that sends you home with a W or L. it's a textbook definition of "a stop".

• Disagree 1

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

You only disagree because it doesn’t help your argument.

A pass defensed on the goal line to end the game is a stop for everyone else on the planet. 

You’re making a “stop” way too black and white here.

Giants one? Like I said, ok if you want to count that Fine even though I disagree because I am factoring in context. But yes you have a legitimate argument for that one

You also said the bucs one is a “stop” which by rule, technically you’re “right”. But it once again doesn’t factor in common sense and context. (80 yards to go in 20 seconds with 0 timeouts..)

Where’s the line here? If a team gets the ball on their own 1 yard line with 1 second to go and the defence “stops them”, would that count as a stop in your mind?

Or does it make more sense to use context and common sense?

Edited by BillsFan130

4 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

You’re making a “stop” way too black and white here.

Giants one? Like I said, ok if you want to count that Fine even though I disagree because I am factoring in context. But yes you have a legitimate argument for that one

You also said the bucs one is a “stop” which by rule, technically you’re “right”. But it once again doesn’t factor in common sense and context. (80 yards to go in 20 seconds with 0 timeouts..)

Where’s the line here? If a team gets the ball on their own 1 yard line with 1 second to go and the defence “stops them”, would that count as a stop in your mind?

Or does it make more sense to use context and common sense?

They are all stops. More or less impressive stops, but stops nonetheless. 

If a team went 99 yards in 1 play and scored a TD with no time left, you’d blame the defense for not stopping them, right?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

They are all stops. More or less impressive stops, but stops nonetheless. 

If a team went 99 yards in 1 play and scored a TD with no time left, you’d blame the defense for not stopping them, right?

Your team is down by 3 with 7 to go.

You let up a 6:45 drive but gave up no points and you get the ball back at your 2 yard line with 15 seconds to go.

But hey, it’s a stop right as that’s all that matters !🙄

I can go on and on. You are failing to apply any Common sense and context to what you’re trying to argue about “stops”

7 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Your team is down by 3 with 7 to go.

You let up a 6:45 drive but gave up no points and you get the ball back at your 2 yard line with 15 seconds to go.

But hey, it’s a stop right as that’s all that matters !🙄

I can go on and on. You are failing to apply any Common sense and context to what you’re trying to argue about “stops”

That is a stop, yeah. 

• 2 weeks later...

This defense is the same every single time we need it. Every single time we need a stop it’s a guarantee they are scoring. Even if you fire McDermott tonight it’s not fast enough. This defense cost us a Super Bowl and now we missed the playoffs in the most wide open year in forever. Absolutely sickening and inexcusable.

• Agree 1

Every year from the Texans loss on has been about the defense letting down in big spots. We have wasted an all time offensive window because our defense in invisible when it matter. Somehow, inexplicably the 1 year our defense wasn’t the causes of our season ending was 17. The worst playoff team we had…the 1 that the defense gave us a shot.

• Agree 2

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Every year from the Texans loss on has been about the defense letting down in big spots. We have wasted an all time offensive window because our defense in invisible when it matter. Somehow, inexplicably the 1 year our defense wasn’t the causes of our season ending was 17. The worst playoff team we had…the 1 that the defense gave us a shot.

But the defense didn't give us a shot in the Cinci game last year.  Cinci ran a train through our defense.

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The defense never gives us a shot any year. What are you talking about? I’m blaming the defense for all of this. I made the thread

Isn't this what you said?

Somehow, inexplicably the 1 year our defense wasn’t the causes of our season ending was 17. The worst playoff team we had…the 1 that the defense gave us a shot.

2 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Isn't this what you said?

Somehow, inexplicably the 1 year our defense wasn’t the causes of our season ending was 17. The worst playoff team we had…the 1 that the defense gave us a shot.

The only year the defense DIDNT cost us was 17….every other year it did. Then you brought up last year? Yeah last year we got run the ***** over. Only in 2017 was the defense NOT an issue 

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus

McD is a one trick pony and personally he only knows zone coverage.  He has cost us so many games going to this Zone deep protect crap that it is beyond belief.  He sucks as a head coach and as a Def. coordinator.  There is nothing game changing with anything he brings to this D side of the ball.

I am also done with Poyer and Hyde, their mistakes this year are un F***ing believable.  They are old, slow and are not elite by any standard right now.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, DapperCam said:

I mean did they really? KC scored a TD and it got called back on a technicality that had nothing to do with the play. I would say KC stopped themselves.

Well then you can apply that logic to multiple Bills losses too for killing themselves 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

There, now they actually did. Can’t kill then for not and ignore them when they do. Great job guys. Proud of you 

Yea, I don’t think this is the one you rally around. Even stopping 4 plays to get off the field, that is a real tough one to say that was a stop at the same time.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I mean did they really? KC scored a TD and it got called back on a technicality that had nothing to do with the play. I would say KC stopped themselves.

Yes they did. The penalty should have been called. That negated the play. Bill win. It’s not their fault Toney lined up Offside. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.