Boston Globe writer "Belicheck could be coaching for his job this weekend"

zow2

Personally I don't buy it.  I don't believe Kraft would fire the man who got him six Championships in mid-season.  But the Patriots are playing the defensively challenged and banged up Colts in London.  A New England loss means they've dropped 6 of 7 games and they are playing dreadful football compared to their standard.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Say what you want about Bill, but he doesn't deserve to be fired mid-season for all he has done for that organization. Nine Super Bowl appearances with six Super Bowl wins. If Bill and the Pats part ways it will be in the off season where Bill agrees to step down and retire. I doubt Kraft comes out and tells him he is fired. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 11

9 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Personally I don't buy it.  I don't believe Kraft would fire the man who got him six Championships in mid-season.  But the Patriots are playing the defensively challenged and banged up Colts in London.  A New England loss means they've dropped 6 of 7 games and they are playing dreadful football compared to their standard.

Boy, that team they beat must suck!

🤷🙁

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I think Kraft could look into relieving BB from his GM or Coaching responsibilities but not both. Ultimately I think BB sticks around until he breaks the coaching win record and then rides off into the sunset or they agree to part their ways much like we "lost" Frasier.  

5 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

And they still beat the Bills. Go figure. That is the true travesty of the season. The other losses I could handle, but that one. pukeworthy.

If the Bills miss the playoffs,,,and it would likely be by 1 game or maybe because of AFC loss tiebreakers,  you can point to that game.  If McD gets relieved of his duties that would be the inexplicable loss that cost him dearly.  They didn't play complimentary football.

• Agree 1

Just now, zow2 said:

If the Bills miss the playoffs,,,and it would likely be by 1 game or maybe because of AFC loss tiebreakers,  you can point to that game.  If McD gets relieved of his duties that would be the inexplicable loss that cost him dearly.  They didn't play complimentary football.

And the Jets game. I was at MetLife on Monday night for the Jets-Chargers and Wilson is an absolute joke of a QB and their OL is crap. I know the Jets defense matches up well with the Bills, but they cannot get swept by that team and QB. That would be embarrassing.

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I disagree, you can point to any one of our losses. As to be honest we lost 4 AFC games and each game had a moment or two in which we could/should have won with. Is it all on coaching? I don't think so. 

The end of an empire is always sad because the emperor only hears when the music has stopped, but not when its slowing.

I think being *fired* by the team you saw so much success with is sad.  BB is leaving the Patriots like Tom Landry did in Dallas - it's a long sad march of one last terrible season.  

I always appreciated that Marv knew it was time after that 6-10 season in 1997.  

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Say what you want about Bill, but he doesn't deserve to be fired mid-season for all he has done for that organization. Nine Super Bowl appearances with six Super Bowl wins. If Bill and the Pats part ways it will be in the off season where Bill agrees to step down and retire. I doubt Kraft comes out and tells him he is fired. 

I have no idea, but presumably there's the possibility that Bill refuses to step down.  He's got a huge ego.  

I wouldn't dismiss that.  

I would love to see him fired midseason though if I cared.  

We have enough troubles of our own.  

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I think Kraft could look into relieving BB from his GM or Coaching responsibilities but not both. Ultimately I think BB sticks around until he breaks the coaching win record and then rides off into the sunset or they agree to part their ways much like we "lost" Frasier.  

At this rate it wouldn't be until the 2025 season at best.  

You think that Kraft, who's not particularly a fan of BB's, would sit still for that?

That also borders on irresponsible.  

No reason to fire him now, and it's probably in the Patriots' best interest to tank anyways.  They need a lot of help, particularly on offense. 

No matter what though I can't see Bill being allowed to coach for another season. The game has passed him and as a GM he's arguably one of the worst.   

1 minute ago, Bruffalo said:

No reason to fire him now, and it's probably in the Patriots' best interest to tank anyways.  They need a lot of help, particularly on offense. 

No matter what though I can't see Bill being allowed to coach for another season. The game has passed him and as a GM he's arguably one of the worst.   

I don't know if the game has passed him by. Going from Brady to Jones is a huge decline at the QB position. No coach could overcome that. He is definitely a bad GM and shouldn't have that job anymore.

57 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

There is no way they fire Belichick mid season (and coming back from London nonetheless).  If they do that, Kraft is a scumbag and deserves nothing but losing for the rest of his life.

Firing him in London makes complete sense.  He can go visit his buddy in Russia who gave him help on spying.

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

Agreed. Kraft could have that difficult conversation with him. BB retires, gets his accolades and paid out on his contract - which makes him unavailable to other teams. Or a team like Washington is dumb enough to give up picks to get him. I just can’t see this ending any other way. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, zow2 said:

Is there a link??

13 hours ago, billieve420 said:

Can’t see this happening as well. The only way I see Belicheck being pushed out is if Kraft says he is taking away GM duties. At which point Belicheck asks out and they look to trade him to another team.

Could be how Krafts way to get rid of him without having to come out and fire him.   BB elects to leave.

People can say that 6 titles buys you a lot of leeway, but team owners aren't patient with losing teams - particularly when the arrow keeps pointing down and there is no clear path to get back to winning ways

This reminds me a bit of what happened w/ Shula.  It may sound cliched to say "the game passed him by" - but it did, and Miami kind of squandered having one of the best QB's in history.  

And Belichick's formula does not work anymore.  He tried to zag the past few years, but the league is miles ahead of him at this point.

That's a long way of saying that what is being speculated on would not shock me.

13 hours ago, zow2 said:

Buy it. Maybe not mid-season but by year's end? Definitely.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.