Hines injury...

Hebert19

I didn't think much of it at the time but damn that had an impact.  Harty and sherfield just don't have the same skillset.  

1.   Have we even tried a jet sweep or the motion of jet sweep this year.   That was a big part of the offense with daboll.  Hines was going to be the guy there.  

2.  Our return game is this.  OK.  Don't fumble.  That's it.  We saw shakir literally just fall down last week.  We fair catch everything.  This is am indictment of McDermott being so conservative too. 

This hurt this offense and special teams a lot in hindsight.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

I didn't think much of it at the time but damn that had an impact.  Harty and sherfield just don't have the same skillset.  

1.   Have we even tried a jet sweep or the motion of jet sweep this year.   That was a big part of the offense with daboll.  Hines was going to be the guy there.  

2.  Our return game is this.  OK.  Don't fumble.  That's it.  We saw shakir literally just fall down last week.  We fair catch everything.  This is am indictment of McDermott being so conservative too. 

We have no return game.  Hines was grossly underutilized last year in the offense.  Now the same is happening to Harty/Sherfield. It's so unbelievably frustrating to see the cap $ that went to these 3 players, could've gone to a quality wr2.  Throw in the very few looks Cook & Shakir get and that's 5 offensive players not producing. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Hey! We’re paying a lot of money for Harty to fair catch every punt! 

I don’t understand why they signed him to a decent contract? 

I actually don’t want to know because I think the answer will anger me. I honestly believe they had a role for Harty but trashed it because they needed a return man.

9 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Re #1 - Tried it 2 or 3 times that I recall, and every time the play was blown up. Understand why we've scrapped it.

Re #2 - Reminds me of what Wade Phillips said about Chris Watson..."He's more of a punt catcher."

30 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

What skill set of Hines are they missing? After being acquired last season, he was barely used except for returning kicks. 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I actually don’t want to know because I think the answer will anger me. I honestly believe they had a role for Harty but trashed it because they needed a return man.

I think that is the biggest BS thought process ever. He only returns punts. You mean to tell me that the guy is spending all that extra time to fair catch 5 punts a game and can’t focus on being a receiver? It’s crap. He just isn’t good and never has been. It was a foolish signing that we never should have made. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

I think that is the biggest BS thought process ever. He only returns punts. You mean to tell me that the guy is spending all that extra time to fair catch 5 punts a game and can’t focus on being a receiver? It’s crap. He just isn’t good and never has been. It was a foolish signing that we never should have made. 

They didn’t sign him to return kicks. They signed him for a reason. 

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They didn’t sign him to return kicks. They signed him for a reason. 

Again. The amount of practice it takes to fair catch punts is pretty negligible. You could just tell him to do nothing but fair catch them and let them sail over his head if need be. And let him practice on offense. But something tells me that he’s useless on offense and they’ve realized that after seeing him for half a year now. 

3 minutes ago, mrags said:

Again. The amount of practice it takes to fair catch punts is pretty negligible. You could just tell him to do nothing but fair catch them and let them sail over his head if need be. And let him practice on offense. But something tells me that he’s useless on offense and they’ve realized that after seeing him for half a year now. 

So you think he’s stupid or something? They aren’t even playing him. He doesn’t know what to do?

They're making the decision not to play him during game planning. Week 1 it looked like they wanted to feature him and he didn’t do much. But that was week 1. Then never again.

19 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

So you think he’s stupid or something? They aren’t even playing him. He doesn’t know what to do?

They're making the decision not to play him during game planning. Week 1 it looked like they wanted to feature him and he didn’t do much. But that was week 1. Then never again.

He had 3 catches for 9 yards. If that’s not the biggest stretch of the use of the term “feature”, I don’t know what is. 

just face it. He’s not good. Can anyone that’s been arguing for him since we got him just finally admit that. It’s such a joke. Some of us have been saying he sucks since we signed him. Just admit it already. 

edit: and yes. I do think he’s stupid 

Edited by mrags

Just now, mrags said:

He had 3 catches for 9 yards. If that’s not the biggest stretch of the use of the term “feature”, I don’t know what is. 

just face it. He’s not good. Can anyone that’s been arguing for him since we got him just finally admit that. It’s such a joke. Some of us have been saying he sucks since we signed him. Just admit it already. 

You’re on a totally different conversation.

The Bills didn’t sit there and say this guy sucks let’s give him money to do nothing. They signed him before the Hines injury also. So what was their plan for him?

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You’re on a totally different conversation.

The Bills didn’t sit there and say this guy sucks let’s give him money to do nothing. They signed him before the Hines injury also. So what was their plan for him?

My conversation and argument is for people to just realize he sucks. Stop hoping something happens out of him. Stop wondering what the plan was with him. Someone got your hopes up when we signed him. Who and how I have no idea. But the guy is not good. Never has been. It’s not happening. 

to the argument of what their plan was when they picked him up? Who cares? They were wrong about him. Hell, McDermott still wants to be a bend but don’t break defense. He still wants to be conservative as hell in an offensive and QB driven league. He still wants to park his Ferrari QB in the garage and drive him out to the edge of the driveway once a week but that’s it. He’s scared to take the handcuffs off. He’s scared to let Josh be himself. He’s scared his players will screw up in some way and coaches that way. 

And for all we know, unless you speak with McClappy on a personal level and know otherwise, their plan with Harry actually was for him to return kicks for this team. There’s no guarantee that they didn’t have plans for Hines in the offense and not Harty. 

facts are facts however. Through 9 games he has 13 catches for 113 yards and 1 TD. It’s not good. Just admit that he’s not a good player. If he was, maybe the coaches would find a way to get him on the field. But they don’t. Because he hasn’t shown that he’s even close to being a reasonable WR in this league. 

I’ll admit I was wrong about 1 thing with him. I thought he would have been hurt by week 3. He hasn’t. But maybe it’s because he sucks so much they don’t trust him to actually be on the field. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

My conversation and argument is for people to just realize he sucks. Stop hoping something happens out of him. Stop wondering what the plan was with him. Someone got your hopes up when we signed him. Who and how I have no idea. But the guy is not good. Never has been. It’s not happening. 

to the argument of what their plan was when they picked him up? Who cares? They were wrong about him. Hell, McDermott still wants to be a bend but don’t break defense. He still wants to be conservative as hell in an offensive and QB driven league. He still wants to park his Ferrari QB in the garage and drive him out to the edge of the driveway once a week but that’s it. He’s scared to take the handcuffs off. He’s scared to let Josh be himself. He’s scared his players will screw up in some way and coaches that way. 

And for all we know, unless you speak with McClappy on a personal level and know otherwise, their plan with Harry actually was for him to return kicks for this team. There’s no guarantee that they didn’t have plans for Hines in the offense and not Harty. 

facts are facts however. Through 9 games he has 13 catches for 113 yards and 1 TD. It’s not good. Just admit that he’s not a good player. If he was, maybe the coaches would find a way to get him on the field. But they don’t. Because he hasn’t shown that he’s even close to being a reasonable WR in this league. 

I’ll admit I was wrong about 1 thing with him. I thought he would have been hurt by week 3. He hasn’t. But maybe it’s because he sucks so much they don’t trust him to actually be on the field. 

So you’re telling me they gave Harty $5.5 million this year to return kicks? Respectfully, I disagree.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Hey! We’re paying a lot of money for Harty to fair catch every punt! 

Then having Ty Johnson return KO's. Call me confused. 

27 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

At the very least it would have kept me from having to watch Ty Johnson try to prove kick returns are still part of football.  I cant take watching the guy take the ball out from the endzone anymore.

How in the world can the coaches see Ty Johnson and say lets have him be our kick returner...

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Hardy was the receiver they gave us when we wanted Hopkins, but we couldn't afford Hopkins and yet I'd bet we could have made it work. I'm sure I'm wrong here on 1000 points but this is what it sure felt like at the time. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

So you’re telling me they gave Harty $5.5 million this year to return kicks? Respectfully, I disagree.

Yet here he is. Basically just returning kicks. And frankly, he’s not exactly doing a bang up job at it. 

5 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Hines was underutilized when we traded for him and now were doing the same with Harty and Sherfield. Not even sure why these guys were brought in. There is no design plays for these guys which is baffling but I don't really think much of Dorsey as an OC so I'm not really all that surprised.

About Hines, his injury, his contract dispute, etc

Is there any info about Hines' recovery from the jet ski injury?  Will he ever play again?  And will he play for Buffalo?  I know there was a dispute between the Bills and Hines over an injury settlement.  Usually (it seems to me) teams do this with players who get hurt and who won't play again, or won't play for them again.  

It's true though that the dropoff from Hines to whoever we're using for returns any given week, is really big.  I honestly can't remember a single big punt return for the Bills this year.  Not one.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Draconator said:

Agreed. It is a great article! Credits the Bills (after some tense contract moments) for making it right and excited to be a Bill in 2024. 

I'm not really sure he will be a Bill next season. Pretty large cap hit for his position and coming off an ACL? Like we've seen with Tre and now Von it takes a while to come back. 

I just read the article.  

Makes me like and want to root for Hines.  Sounds like a real hard worker and a guy who can be an asset as long as that knee allows it.

Its strange to me though that he experienced so much pain after an ACL reconstruction.  Its usually not so bad unless there was a bunch of other trauma and work done not mentioned in the article.  I had my ACL reconstructed, and while it sucked and it was uncomfortable, I never experienced anything close to the intense pain that he describes (and I am a wimp).  I actually purposely tossed my painkillers after a few days because they were so enjoyable and I felt like I wanted them more than I needed them

• Like (+1) 4

What’s interesting is that Hines unavailability has opened a roster slot for larger backs like Ty and Fournette, which I think the organization is starting to like more.  Harty has not been dynamic but has been extremely sure handed with the return duties.  That is nothing to take for granted. Entire seasons can be derailed with a few muffed returns and the fallout of trying to find replacements just to securely field kicks. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.