McDermott or Dorsey?

damj

5 hours ago, Warcodered said:

No it doesn't, you weren't even talking about burning clock, you were talking about buying time for the defense to rest. Is it McDermott I don't know nobody on here does, but the idea that he somehow wants the offense to be conservative because he's a defensive coach is just ***** dumb. He's had aggressive offenses for multiple years in a row with Allen.

Because the defense has been in a better shape than now. And I think something may have changed after the Jets game as well, which was probably the first defeat of the Josh era which could be put solely on him.

If McDermott isn't dumb then it's Dorsey. One of them is getting it wrong and I'm finding it easier to believe it's McDermott than Dorsey. Either way the offense needs to be allowed to take the approach which suits it best.

I don't know what is going on with this team, but I DO know that they are looking like the Ryan Fitzpatrick led Bills on offense far too often now for my liking.  A good drive then long periods of nothing...struggling to get into the 20s in points way way too much...

It's honestly just unacceptable with Josh Allen as your QB.  No excuse, if Dorsey can't figure it out then bring someone else in who can.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, damj said:

I have seasons ... I'll be out there tailgating every week and having fun,  but I have no expectations of a playoff run anymore.

I don't even expect to make the playoffs ... but I'm okay with that.  At least I know I'll be free for a concert I want to see Wildcard weekend

Some of this Dorsey but most of it is on McDermott. This reminds me of the Pats and Belichick. McDermott had gotten rid of any opposing viewpoints. Daboll? Gone. Frazier? Gone. He tells Beane what players to get. It's all Sean's vision now. Reign in the gunslinger QB. Run it more. And no turnovers!! And this is the result. A stud QB scared shi#tless to throw. 🤦

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Dorsey is underachieving massively and should be let go.  McDermott appears to be the classic case of a coach that turned things around, changed the culture, but has taken the team as far as he can, and now they are in regression.

It's a tough deal for Pegula and Beane, but while Josh Allen is still in his prime they should give someone else a shot at finishing the job of winning a SB, before it's too late.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I blame Leslie Frazier! 

Still will never get why a SB contender would just think getting a guy who has never been OC on any level would be good enough. The SB move would be hiring Bienemy (look at the number Dollar store Baker Mayfield is putting up) to run the offense. 

minus Daboll (who had an awful NFL OC resume), his OC picks have been awful. I can’t imagine how bad this offense would be if we didn’t have Allen and Diggs. 

this offense just makes me sad.

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Dorsey is underachieving massively and should be let go.  McDermott appears to be the classic case of a coach that turned things around, changed the culture, but has taken the team as far as he can, and now they are in regression.

It's a tough deal for Pegula and Beane, but while Josh Allen is still in his prime they should give someone else a shot at finishing the job of winning a SB, before it's too late.

I’ve grown to really respect McDermott and you have to be careful firing a guy who has been so constantly good. But man does this look like a team that could win a SB if they hired an offensive head coach and a proven DC. 

McD won’t make a change in season. He said years ago he doesn’t work that way. He’ll waste the season away before attempt to make a change that could help the team. Crazy how the HC doesn’t know why the team didn’t keep rolling with the up tempo offense. 

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

this offense just makes me sad.

I’ve grown to really respect McDermott and you have to be careful firing a guy who has been so constantly good. But man does this look like a team that could win a SB if they hired an offensive head coach and a proven DC. 

I've been hesitant to call out for firing McD.  But maybe it's time.  I mean you cannot go and replace him with someone like Todd Bowles.  That's a loser move.  But there are some very good O-coordinators out there looking to be the head guy... and it may be time to take a big swing with new leadership.  This team has gotten stale.

at this point I'm leaning towards firing McDermott  and the staff at the end of this season.

i get the injuries on defense but they held Cincinnati to 24( only 3 in the second half) but-

this offense is in a funk and some of this is from the HC's philosophy. 

gut the team of old washed up players-take a gap year and then be ready to go in year 2025

• Like (+1) 1

Well, McDermott's defense proves time and time again they can play well and beat good offenses--despite having lost some of the best players on EVERY level of their defense.  And proves he will adjust quickly within the game and make the needed changes.

Dorsey has proven that he cannot plan well for good defenses, against good DCs, and that it takes him much much too long to make in game adjustments,

But the fish rots at the head, so unless Dorsey is fired now, this week, or very soon, it will be on McDermott. 

Now, today...

Nothing left to see here

Didn't read all the posts but several said Wildcard is our only chance. It's probably opposite. Division title is really our only possibility. Bills lost too many AFC games, but we are only a game back of Miami. Division winner is only reasonable chance.

• Agree 1

last night McDermott had dementia level blunders. The punt rather than a Hail Mary at the end of the first half and the pointless wasted challenge.  He is wasting time outs on a regular basis this season. He also seemed befuddled during the sideline interview last night. He may very well be burned out altogether.  

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Mango said:

I still expect a wild card. I believe there’s enough talent in offense, and enough veterans who have been here for years to clean up enough of the execution issues to get into the playoffs. 

Dorsey can go. But the core of the offense is the same. Dorsey is reasonably similar to Daboll. But the guys have to be better too. They aren’t a young team anymore. 

I too believe there is plenty of talent on this team, it's the inept coaching holding them back. Playoffs, who knows, it's a crap shoot at this point.

Edited by LarryMadman
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Posted in another thread too but... I think everything starts with the example the head coach sets. He seems like a great person, and I know he works as hard as anyone. But he's worked himself into a ball of nerves. He doesn't coach with confidence, and I think his timid "trying not to lose" attitude pervades every part of the team: players, coordinators, and assistant coaches. It's gotten worse over the past few years. 

His deer-in-headlights in-game decisions (random defensive timeouts, decisions to waste timeouts on foolish challenges, etc) are so bad they're obvious to even casual fans, but I bet his nervous mindset is manifesting itself in many other ways that we can't see. He looks visibly pained and shaken on gameday, and the players are absolutely going to see and feel that total lack of confidence. You can't keep up a facade in a position of leadership as demanding as an NFL head coach where you need to be the balls. Dorsey is just a symptom of the larger McDermott failure IMO.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DC Greg said:

Posted in another thread too but... I think everything starts with the example the head coach sets. He seems like a great person, and I know he works as hard as anyone. But he's worked himself into a ball of nerves. He doesn't coach with confidence, and I think his timid "trying not to lose" attitude pervades every part of the team: players, coordinators, and assistant coaches. It's gotten worse over the past few years. 

His deer-in-headlights in-game decisions (random defensive timeouts, decisions to waste timeouts on foolish challenges, etc) are so bad they're obvious to even casual fans, but I bet his nervous mindset is manifesting itself in many other ways that we can't see. He looks visibly pained and shaken on gameday, and the players are absolutely going to see and feel that total lack of confidence. You can't keep up a facade in a position of leadership as demanding as an NFL head coach where you need to be the balls. Dorsey is just a symptom of the larger McDermott failure IMO.

Dorsey is for sure a failed OC, but guess what....Sean hired him just like Farwell and Frazier.  He's officially run out of scapegoats. This is his cooking. And he's the one who insisted on all the defensive groceries.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, BananaB said:

When is McDs press conference? Normally listen to him when I get home from work but today I’ve been waiting

Yeah. He hasn’t taken the podium yet. He’s probably rehearsing his lines. 

-trust the process

-need to be better

-we aren’t playing complimentary football

-it starts with me

-I don’t know why xxxxx happened 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Problem is I don’t think there is a McDermott replacement out there. The Josh Allen factor will open lots of HC candidates.

That said, minus a losing record, I think the odds the Bills fire McDermott are very low. 

Odds they fire Dorsey is probably higher than most realize. Bills will likely be able to hire whatever candidate they want at OC. 

8 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yeah. He hasn’t taken the podium yet. He’s probably rehearsing his lines. 

-trust the process

-need to be better

-we aren’t playing complimentary football

-it starts with me

-I don’t know why xxxxx happened 

...."stay humble and hungry"....I've never seen a guy resort to so many ridiculous slogans that amount to a big nothing burger.

35 minutes ago, Chaos said:

last night McDermott had dementia level blunders. The punt rather than a Hail Mary at the end of the first half and the pointless wasted challenge.  He is wasting time outs on a regular basis this season. He also seemed befuddled during the sideline interview last night. He may very well be burned out altogether.  

Honestly with the timeout there why not just call it at 1 and kick? Probably miss but like... we just let the clock run out?  What was that?

Challenge was bad... there just wasn't enough value in it even though he probably caught it.  

7 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Problem is I don’t think there is a McDermott replacement out there. The Josh Allen factor will open lots of HC candidates.

That said, minus a losing record, I think the odds the Bills fire McDermott are very low. 

Odds they fire Dorsey is probably higher than most realize. Bills will likely be able to hire whatever candidate they want at OC. 

They could easily have first crack at Ben Johnson, who I think would immediately turn Josh around.  Ben would also emphasize improving the OL and our WR2 situation.  If we F this up and simply fire KD as Sean's 4th scapegoat it will be rinse & repeat.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

...."stay humble and hungry"....I've never seen a guy resort to so many ridiculous slogans that amount to a big nothing burger.

People seriously need to stop looking to PCs for answers. You REALLY think the things said at the podium are the same things said in private meetings? Come on. 

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

They could easily have first crack at Ben Johnson, who I think would immediately turn Josh around.  Ben would also emphasize improving the OL and our WR2 situation.  If we F this up and simply fire KD as Sean's 4th scapegoat it will be rinse & repeat.

I get it, but I think hiring a 1st time OC to HC would be a massive gamble that historically isn’t worth taking. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

People seriously need to stop looking to PCs for answers. You REALLY think the things said at the podium are the same things said in private meetings? Come on. 

I get it, but I think hiring a 1st time OC to HC would be a massive gamble that historically isn’t worth taking. 

I agree but at this point the same old cliches and slogans are insulting to the fans.  You don't have to get into the depths of what is wrong with your schemes and concepts but give us something.  That's one thing I can honestly say I like about Don Granato, he is much more informative and willing to dive into topics at his press conference's than McDermott is.  

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

"get in rythmn"

5 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

McDs throwing Dorsey under the bus at the halftime and post game interviews was cringeworthy. Total lack of leadership.  That’s why he’s lost the team. 

I agree he has lost the team. It's been heading that way since 13 secs. An unpardonable error.

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

He's not very smart unfortunately. The punt at the end of the half was mindnumbingly stupid. On top of the dumb decision not to Hail Mary, even though the clock was started before the play and time would expire before the play clock, he was actually going to punt the ball. Fortunately he didn't get the ball snapped before time ran out. He is simply not smart enough to be an NFL head coach. The close-up of his embarrassed, flustered and confused face after he lost the ill-advised challenge said it all.

• Like (+1) 1

I'd prefer to get rid of McDermott, but the issue is he is both HC or DC. I'm getting to the point where I wouldn't mind Frasier coming back for the rest of the season and hiring an offensive minded HC to help Dorsey. If there are no signs of improvement from the OC under the new set up, move him on in the post season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.