McDermott or Dorsey?

damj

They’re intertwined. I’m not sure if it’s Dorsey who wants to keep the reins on Josh for large stretches of games or if he’s just following orders. I think it might be the latter. McD is conservative to a fault, and I don’t think he always got along with Daboll- who seemed like he didn’t care if the Bills offense ever gave the ball to an RB. 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, damj said:

The struggling offense,  so you think it's McDermott or Dorsey?

Personally, I blame McDermott.  I have no idea if Dorsey is good enough... but I think McDermott keeper hammering to Doresy to play conservative.... McDermott tried that with Dorsey, but he had enough balls to ignore McDermott and run the offense to Josh's strengths.

Now,  I think McDermott drills into Dorsey and Josh's head to not make a mistake, stay in the pocket,  don't and don't improvise which is what Josh excels at. By the 4th quarter when we're down by 2 scores,  they take the reins off and let Josh play his game

You think the defensive HC with Josh Allen is telling the OC to play conservative? You really think this?

16 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Why the ***** would McDermott care about Dorsey playcalling aggressive? Did we not see the offenses that he greenlit the last 3 seasons?

Because I think he’s trying to protect the battered defense by asking the offense to pick up the TOP. The mindset needs to change; if the Bills need to win a shootout the fine. The offense is the supposed strength; let them play to their peak.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Dorsey and the scheme is the problem. The Bills have no balance on offense. The RB’s are useless in this offense. If Josh Allen doesn’t play great they lose. 

The Defense is still playing well considering all the injuries we have. Sean McD defense keeps us in games. The offense just hasn’t been able to take advantage. If McDermott wasn’t running the defense we would probably be even worse than we are right now 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Dislike 2

Just now, UKBillFan said:

Because I think he’s trying to protect the battered defense by asking the offense to pick up the TOP. The mindset needs to change; if the Bills need to win a shootout the fine. The offense is the supposed strength; let them play to their peak.

This. He probably thinks the other way hasn’t gotten them to where they wanted to be yet- so why not take some of the risk out of Josh and turn him into a more conservative QB? He also thinks it would be better for his beloved defense. 

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Dorsey and the scheme is the problem. The Bills have no balance on offense. The RB’s are useless in this offense. If Josh Allen doesn’t play great they lose. 

The Defense is still playing well considering all the injuries we have. Sean McD defense keeps us in games. The offense just hasn’t been able to take advantage. If McDermott wasn’t running the defense we would probably be even worse than we are right now 

Josh can and does play great in a certain style. It’s just not one that McD is particularly fond of. He’s low risk to a fault. The defense is awful , gives up first downs and big plays routinely. They need a score on every possession mentality and that means more of Josh being Josh. Not handoffs to RBs that run sideways. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Yeah our TOP against the Bucs was great when we ran the uptempo style offense, in fact it only started to suck when we became conservative and started to have 3 and outs and punted. So that makes no ***** sense.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

You think the defensive HC with Josh Allen is telling the OC to play conservative? You really think this?

Yes,  that's why I said it jackwagon.

McDermott is the HC and can fire Dorsey if he doesn't do what he says. 

My apology that you're too stupid to understand. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Warcodered said:

Yeah our TOP against the Bucs was great when we ran the uptempo style offense, in fact it only started to suck when we became conservative and started to have 3 and outs and punted. So that makes no ***** sense.

Exactly . Hopefully Sean sees the light. Soon …

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Josh can and does play great in a certain style. It’s just not one that McD is particularly fond of. He’s low risk to a fault. The defense is awful , gives up first downs and big plays routinely. They need a score on every possession mentality and that means more of Josh being Josh. Not handoffs to RBs that run sideways. 

The defense is awful? They are down one of their best interior lineman, 2 staring LB’s, and their best corner. How you expect the defense to play? 

23 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Massive offensive drop off from Daboll to Dorsey. At this point, the OC needs to go. As in tomorrow. See how the team is performing by January before firing/keeping McDermott.

I don't need to wait till January to tell me McD has worn out his welcome.  He and Dorsey need to go together.  But as many have mentioned,  Terry is madly in love with a mediocre "in game" coach.  Getting the organization out of the drought has hipmitized him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Warcodered said:

Kind of proves my point. Generally the run game, huddles and short passes burns the clock more effectively than uptempo, no huddle - but not for the Bills. I think McDermott is stuck on conventional wisdom.

• Agree 1

Just now, BillMafia716ix said:

The defense is awful? They are down one of their best interior lineman, 2 staring LB’s, and their best corner. How you expect the defense to play? 

I expect just about how they’ve been playing : awful. Mc D needs to be realistic here , before it’s too late. 

38 minutes ago, damj said:

The struggling offense,  so you think it's McDermott or Dorsey?

Personally, I blame McDermott.  I have no idea if Dorsey is good enough... but I think McDermott keeper hammering to Doresy to play conservative.... McDermott tried that with Dorsey, but he had enough balls to ignore McDermott and run the offense to Josh's strengths.

Now,  I think McDermott drills into Dorsey and Josh's head to not make a mistake, stay in the pocket,  don't and don't improvise which is what Josh excels at. By the 4th quarter when we're down by 2 scores,  they take the reins off and let Josh play his game

The Bills need to clean house. I've been pounding the table for quite some time. 

The Beane/McD show has run it's course. I don't know how much more obvious it can get. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Kind of proves my point. Generally the run game, huddles and short passes burns the clock more effectively than uptempo, no huddle - but not for the Bills. I think McDermott is stuck on conventional wisdom.

No it doesn't, you weren't even talking about burning clock, you were talking about buying time for the defense to rest. Is it McDermott I don't know nobody on here does, but the idea that he somehow wants the offense to be conservative because he's a defensive coach is just ***** dumb. He's had aggressive offenses for multiple years in a row with Allen.

Edited by Warcodered

47 minutes ago, damj said:

I have seasons ... I'll be out there tailgating every week and having fun,  but I have no expectations of a playoff run anymore.

I don't even expect to make the playoffs ... but I'm okay with that.  At least I know I'll be free for a concert I want to see Wildcard weekend

I have no idea what this post has to do with your thread title, but to that - why not both?

45 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

8-9 will definitely get McDermott fired and thank the Lord.  Bring on Ben Johnson for Josh.

Doubtful. They just gave him an extension. Beane and McDermott are tight. They'll blame injuries and Dorsey for the poor season. Maybe Dorsey goes, but McDermott going is just wishful thinking from some fans. Beane won't fire him after one bad season following an extension and Pegula isn't going to step in and make that call for Beane.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

The Bills need to clean house. I've been pounding the table for quite some time. 

The Beane/McD show has run it's course. I don't know how much more obvious it can get. 

McDermott definitely... Beans, I'm not so sure. 

I have supported McDermott until NE ... but I'm done.  He is not the answer

5 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Tune started at QB today, Josh Dobbs, Devito, Pickett, Geno Smith, it can get a lot worse than Allen. 

I’d suggest ignoring that guy. Not even a Bills fan anyway. 

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Doubtful. They just gave him an extension. Beane and McDermott are tight. They'll blame injuries and Dorsey for the poor season. Maybe Dorsey goes, but McDermott going is just wishful thinking from some fans. Beane won't fire him after one bad season and Pegula isn't going to step in and make that call for Beane.

Probably not. Best you can hope for is a top flight OC hire and hope McD realizes that the “ complimentary football “ stuff is outdated thinking. Need elite offense in todays NFL. 

40 minutes ago, damj said:

McDermott definitely... Beans, I'm not so sure. 

I have supported McDermott until NE ... but I'm done.  He is not the answer

Glad you can see that. 

46 minutes ago, Dopey said:

If Ben can stop Allen from being a dumb turnover machine, bring him in. Good luck on that one. 

Ignorance is bliss. Ben Johnson will establish a solid run game to compliment Allen's strengths. He's made Goeff into a pretty good QB and he's no Allen. 

The guy is a great play caller, creative, and innovative. J. Williams and David Montgomery have produced in his system. 

I suspect he will be the Raiders head coach. 

39 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I’d suggest ignoring that guy. Not even a Bills fan anyway. 

Probably not. Best you can hope for is a top flight OC hire and hope McD realizes that the “ complimentary football “ stuff is outdated thinking. Need elite offense in todays NFL. 

Pretty much. One season of missing the playoffs after everything he's done and just getting an extension won't be enough. They'll get a new OC and Dorsey will take the fall. Maybe there will be pressure on McDermott to let that OC have total control over the Offense. 

But it will take a TOTAL collapse, him completely losing the team, including Josh Allen, before McDermott goes anywhere. And that won't happen this season.

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Ignorance is bliss. Ben Johnson will establish a solid run game to compliment Allen's strengths. He's made Goeff into a pretty good QB and he's no Allen. 

The guy is a great play caller, creative, and innovative. J. Williams and David Montgomery have produced in his system. 

I suspect he will be the Raiders head coach. 

Yeah, I’m perfectly happy. Must be a heavy burden to be so smart. 

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

I think McDermott is the problem.

That's probably why there's bad blood with him and Daboll. McDermott wanted a wimpy boring offense and Daboll just did whatever he wanted. 

And it worked and everyone loved it, which probably hurt McDermott's pride. Then his beloved defense blew the 13 seconds game.

Obviously everyone on the team was aware of the tension and I'll bet many sided with Daboll. His side of the ball was rolling. 

Now Dorsey is just some guy that Josh hoped would be Daboll but McDermott can control him so it's bland vanilla offense 

Kind of leaning here. That opening drive was all Dorse. Then McD got more involved as the game progressed.

A few flashes here and there isn't really enough to choose Dorsey though, as he's also been pretty bad at times. He's going to be the first one gone and he probably deserves it, even if it may be partially as the fall guy. So I guess both?

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Pretty much. One season of missing the playoffs after everything he's done and just getting an extension won't be enough. They'll get a new OC and Dorsey will take the fall. Maybe there will be pressure on McDermott to let that OC have total control over the Offense. 

But it will take a TOTAL collapse, him completely losing the team, including Josh Allen, before McDermott goes anywhere. And that won't happen this season.

Agree with this take. McD won't get fired anytime soon even though it's time for a change of leadership. 

Likely we will be having a similar conversation next year. 

1 minute ago, Dopey said:

I so enjoyed all your Bernard knowledge. Yes, let’s. 

You think I was the only one who thought Bernard sucked? 

Come on now. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.