Bills sign DT Linval Joseph---Elam to IR

Process

I really don't have a read on this game. I was sure they'd win against the Jets. And the Jags. Thought they'd crush the Giants and the Pats. By the time Tampa came around, I wasn't sure what to think, and I'm still not. It's like 2019 all over again. 

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, biggerdaddynj said:

Wish we had a Ted Washington or Pat Williams clone!  But, I’m very happy with Joseph, especially this late in the season and I’m sure the compensation is very fair.  Gotta give Beane credit for the Douglas move too (heard nothing but positive things about him).  I just wish we’d had depth at LB coming into the season but I think every team is short in one or more position groups (guess LB will be one of our three 6th round picks next year or an amalgamation of late picks to move up).  

Depth at LB was decent going into the season. Assuming they knew what they had in Bernard they had a pair of good starters in Bernard and Milano. Then they drafted D.Williams in round 3 to sure up depth and add a developmental piece, they also had resigned Klein and had Dodson a player with experience in the system. It wasn't tremendous depth but plugging in a 3rd round pick and a solid veteran to go along with a decent depth player in Dodson was actually a decent amount of depth. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, finn said:

I really don't have a read on this game. I was sure they'd win against the Jets. And the Jags. Thought they'd crush the Giants and the Pats. By the time Tampa came around, I wasn't sure what to think, and I'm still not. It's like 2019 all over again. 

Although I'd like for them to win this game. I'd rather they get hot towards the end of the season 

7 hours ago, Augie said:

Sorry, too late.

Maybe a short thread turns into a long thread because you personally respond to and preach to every poster in it. You are generally better than this, but this “read before you post stuff” is tiresome. I’m not reading EVERY post in a long thread. Some people I don’t read at all! I asked a question I believe BEFORE it was answered, and I think it was a fair question. I didn’t need a half dozen answers to it, but I got them. Rather than chastise the people who were not first to respond, I simply thank them. Maybe he’s recovering from an injury late last season? Maybe he’s trying to reduce wear and tear. Maybe he’s had some kind of illness or personal matter. There are countless possibilities. 

It was a fair and reasonable question. 

Augie, you make a reasonable point but I still disagree.

I stand by my opinion that people here (and everywhere actually) should write/talk less and read/listen more. When the input : output is negative, that individual as well as everyone around them suffers.

As a practitioner turned educator (construction industry), I reject the adage that "there's no such thing as a stupid question." There are lots of stupid questions and they usually come from people who are too lazy to pay attention or to seek the answers themselves (even by simple reason).

To your comment about preaching, I almost never preach and I never crusade.

That said I'm sincerely sorry to offend you. You are one of the better posters here. My apologies.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Augie, you make a reasonable point but I still disagree.

I stand by my opinion that people here (and everywhere actually) should write/talk less and read/listen more. When the input : output is negative, that individual as well as everyone around them suffers.

As a practitioner turned educator (construction industry), I reject the adage that "there's no such thing as a stupid question." There are lots of stupid questions and they usually come from people who are too lazy to pay attention or to seek the answers themselves (even by simple reason).

To your comment about preaching, I almost never preach and I never crusade.

That said I'm sincerely sorry to offend you. You are one of the better posters here. My apologies.

Zero worries. It would be boring if we always agreed. 

I’m not one to start things, but I will defend my point, or sometimes admit I whiffed. It happens. 

I can’t deny being a volume poster, but I’m here for entertainment, just like the games. This is a platform we can all use in different ways. I read plenty, as in daily. Sometimes I prefer Grisham to what is said here, so I can be guilty of skimming.  

I don’t think it was lazy to ask about the guy who was the subject of the topic. I don’t believe it had been stated why he was still available. That is what this place is for in many respects. 

I never thought of you as a crusader at all, but we all have different preferences. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, finn said:

I feel the same way.

40 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I feel the same way.

Same here.  We have seen few great games, but in between those we have lost to bad teams and couldn’t execute against JAGS.  Do we get the good Bills or bad Bills against Cincy.  Show me something Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

You literally said "A lot of players choose to stay on PS despite 53 man roster offers because they like their longer term outlook with the team they are on the PS with etc.."

A LOT implies you are not just referring to exceptions my guy haha. Had you said "a handful" I wouldnt have had an issue. You are out here making it seem like PS guys are all just trying to stay there lol

"Doesn't happen" is an absolute and just obviously wrong.

The context of the discussion I was involved with was the belief by some posters that players could be claimed from the practice squad without consent......like a waiver claim.   They can't.   And in the context of "zero choice" it doesn't take many to be "a lot".  10, 20, 30 times in a given year........all those numbers are a lot more than zero.

There are 512 practice squad spots available in the NFL at any given time and 17 weeks for said players to change teams and a myriad of reasons to stay in one place over another.   In THAT context.....thousands of potential opportunities for teams to try to entice players off of another practice squad.........10, 20, 30 or even 100 is not "a lot".....and nor was that the claim.  

We literally watch players walk away from good money and then a year or less later return for practice squad or league min type work.   When players get late in their careers every decision isn't about making life changes to squeeze out 1 more active roster minimum game week check.   

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

Same here.  We have seen few great games, but in between those we have lost to bad teams and couldn’t execute against JAGS.  Do we get the good Bills or bad Bills against Cincy.  Show me something Buffalo 

Being honest, for most of Josh's career he takes his drop in TV and throws, and no. worries.

Now,every single drop I fear it's going to be an INT, and I hate it.  Not since the drought have I felt that way.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Everyone thought Mike would be a problem.  Benard has been a beast all season.  I think Letting Williams learn on the fly is better than Dodson/ Rapp.  Give me Rapp and Williams in my veins like a junky. 

Williams looked great in the Pre-Season. But in the Regular Season, he's been often lost on the field. Pulled in favor of Dodson for making too many mistakes. 

In a vacuum, he needs reps to learn and get better. But those learning reps have too often been coming at the expense of points right now. It seems they prefer Dodson missing some tackles in position over Williams being more often out of position.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Williams looked great in the Pre-Season. But in the Regular Season, he's been often lost on the field. Pulled in favor of Dodson for making too many mistakes. 

In a vacuum, he needs reps to learn and get better. But those learning reps have too often been coming at the expense of points right now. It seems they prefer Dodson missing some tackles in position over Williams being more often out of position.

For now 

In the end, I Dorien Williams is just too much of a beast to keep off the field

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, finn said:

Sure doesn't seem like a super bowl team. At this point, I'm just hoping they make the playoffs. Maybe with less pressure they can do well. 

Thus far, 5-3 is pretty disappointing with a very difficult schedule ahead. 

We are going find out fast what kind of team the Bills are. A win in Cincinnati will go a long way. 

• Agree 1

I have skimmed through much of this thread. Just can't be bothered with the complaining and negative takes. Cincy is a good team, but they have had their struggles too. My take is that Cincy caught SF at a good time, just like they caught Buffalo at a good time last year. Good but a bit lucky too. Buffalo is again reeling because of injuries but the defense is still holding its own. I think both defenses, as a result, are fairly evenly matched, and I am optimistic that some of the young players on the team are showing signs of becoming really great starters.

On offense, there are many new pieces and they have been getting better each and every week. Josh, last week seemed to get out of his head started playing with fire and passion. Cincy is going to have a hard time slowing this train down and might be in for a big surprise. I think their defense is suspect. Statistically, they have been good against the pass but who in their division is really a great passer? Josh is going to find success in the pass game and a blend of running, RPOs and play action is going to keep that defense off balance. They are going to be dealing with a better OL too.

This could be a grind of a game, but my gut is telling me that the Bills are about to open a can of whoop ass. My only concern is defense. Has anyone noticed that Poyer has been playing a hybrid Safety/LB role? It seems to be working but time will tell. The addition of a big DT would be genius and allow this 3 safety look to handle the back end. It is clear that the defense is experimenting, but the coaches could be on to something here.

I do not feel like the Bengals are going to score a lot of points. They haven't been so far this season, and until they prove that they can, I don't think they will. This could very well be a game where Buffalo's offense pulls ahead and then just keeps the foot on the gas. Our guys want to bag this game more than they do and the coach, right after the loss to Cincy last year talked about being physically outmatched.  The ain't happening again. The Bills are going to come out swinging in this one. Bank on it.

18 hours ago, finn said:

Actually - personally - had a bad feeling about the 9-11 jets game and the themes and all that surrounding the game

knew the jets would upset us - of course!!!!

jags game I hated - knew when I saw it it was a loss

i had us winning this before the season started.  Think we are going to have a rough game but I see us winning

i see us beating cowboys

i see us beating cjiefs

loss in Philly but not sure about that one now.  We don’t have an answer for AJ but - could see it being really close

sweep the rest of the afc east

i did NOT see the let down to the pats

i knew there would be one - but damn to the pats!?  I thought we would want to absolutely break them but I guess they are over the drought stuff - we aren’t but I guess the players are 

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Being honest, for most of Josh's career he takes his drop in TV and throws, and no. worries.

Now,every single drop I fear it's going to be an INT, and I hate it.  Not since the drought have I felt that way.

You fear an interception on every single drop?!  I feel so bad for you. Watching a game must be a miserable experience. 

I still expect greatness when Josh has the ball in his hands, and more often than not, I am not disappointed.  

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

You fear an interception on every single drop?!  I feel so bad for you. Watching a game must be a miserable experience. 

I still expect greatness when Josh has the ball in his hands, and more often than not, I am not disappointed.  

Nah, I don't let a game or anything I can't control, make me miserable. Thanks for your concern.

2 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Didn't see it mentioned - Sportrac thinks that his 2023 cap hit is only §522k

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/linval-joseph-6555/

I guess he has a lot of incentives and those will count only if fulfills them (?).

Incentives or performance bonuses in the NFL fall into two categories:

Likely to be earned or Unlikely to be earned.

If incentives are likely to be earned, they count against that years cap hit. If they are unlikely to be earned, they count 0 towards that years cap but if earned, are charged against the next years cap number.

I imagine most of his incentives are unlikely to be earned, meaning that roughly $2 mil remaining from the reported numbers, would either never materialize or be paid out next year.

Bottom line for me: We get a very experienced player on the cheap. And if we have to shell out $$$ next year since he met those performance bonuses, it will hopefully be well worth it!

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I am here for you. 

ps I used to be so bad at letting games affect me, but I am better now. Unfortunately, it is now my 20 year old son who gets too stressed out.  

That is exactly the situation with my 13 yr old "super fan" son - I need to try and remain calm to offset his stress/emotions!

Edited by TheWei44
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Drew21PA said:

Actually - personally - had a bad feeling about the 9-11 jets game and the themes and all that surrounding the game

knew the jets would upset us - of course!!!!

jags game I hated - knew when I saw it it was a loss

i had us winning this before the season started.  Think we are going to have a rough game but I see us winning

i see us beating cowboys

i see us beating cjiefs

loss in Philly but not sure about that one now.  We don’t have an answer for AJ but - could see it being really close

sweep the rest of the afc east

i did NOT see the let down to the pats

i knew there would be one - but damn to the pats!?  I thought we would want to absolutely break them but I guess they are over the drought stuff - we aren’t but I guess the players are 

Feel the same way about the Pats.  I was stunned we let that one slip away - but I don't think the players see that game the same way as the fans.  

We will beat them at home by at least 2 scores.  No doubt on that one.

The positive is that the win they got, combined w/ a few other meaningless ones this season, will take them out of the top QB sweepstakes in the next draft..

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

But the next person who asks "why wasn't Joseph signed earlier" will, right?

😀

That makes no sense,but ok

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I am here for you. 

ps I used to be so bad at letting games affect me, but I am better now. Unfortunately, it is now my 20 year old son who gets too stressed out.  

Lol my 14 year old grandson has started getting stressed 

4 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Didn't see it mentioned - Sportrac thinks that his 2023 cap hit is only §522k

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/linval-joseph-6555/

I guess he has a lot of incentives and those will count only if fulfills them (?).

so much for all the knee jerk reactions saying he used up the entire remaining cap we had

the agent wants the maximum cash value reported even though most of it is incentives

Edited by Warriorspikes51

On 11/2/2023 at 4:51 PM, muppy said:

3. Can a player be added to the IR and NOT be injured?

A team can put a player on IR if their doctor believes he is injured.

A player can get his own doctor to clear him and he can dispute it with NFL.

If NFL says he can play and team does not put on 53 man roster he can demand he be released.

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

so much for all the knee jerk reactions saying he used up the entire remaining cap we had

the agent wants the maximum cash value reported even though most of it is incentives

Agent been quoting the year price but since he was signed midseason Bills are not obligated to pay him if cut and cap hit only counts for games left on Bills schedule.

With his record available and starting most of career I do not expect Bills will cut him.

25 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

You were expressing lot of frustration in the other thread yesterday and being uncharacteristically salty. That's why I was connecting two things. Guess my attempt failed and sailed over your head like an EJ Manuel pass 

Ok that literally made me lol. Thank you!  I had back surgery last Tuesday for a ruptured L1/L2 disc, so I have been in pain and edgy.  Sorry.

• Simon unpinned this topic
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.