We're overhyping the Bengals

Success

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I used to think that, but over time, it's clear he thinks that person is Burrow. If you want to read my long-winded take on his Allen opinions, here they are:

***Apologies for the Novel in Advance!*** 

He dislikes Allen because Nick doesn't know how to be fluid with his takes. He had Allen as a bust after his rookie year, then thought his Sophomore year solidified that. By the time the COVID season hit, Nick was already set in his opinion about Allen. So when Allen has a season that would win him MVP if it was almost any other year, Nick tried to explain it away & justify that Allen/the Bills were still not a REAL contender.

2021 he continued to double down, comparing him to Davis Mills & Daniel Jones, and only talking about Allen if he made mistakes or had a bad game. And the Bills gave him ammo, choking against the Jags & getting blown out at home vs the Colts. The first time he gave Allen legit credit was after the Chiefs playoff game. That's how long it took for him to admit Allen was legit, with no added mockery.

But the 2022 offseason made him spiteful, and his Allen appreciation reverted to Allen mockery. It was all because of the media hype & Vegas oddsmakers placing the Bills as SB favorites over KC. This is when he gave Allen the "rollercoaster" Allen moniker. And he's carried on that nonsense ever since then. Unfortunately, a lot of people love First Thing's First, and his narrative is actually catching on with general NFL fans.

Yeah I recall all of that, he only gave Allen that credit after the 13 second game because it was obvious to every fan of football that Allen was on Mahomes level, the first opportunity to revert back to the hate he did so.

I appreciate your take but I’ll respectfully disagree and stick with what seems to make the most sense in my opinion.

If and when Burrow ever gets the Mahomes or Burrow discussion like Allen received after 2021 postseason, you’ll quickly see Wrights vitriol aimed directly at Burrow.

He’s wet insecure with Mahomes positioning as the leagues clear cut #1

I don't consider the Bengals to be some unbeatable juggernaut. But they are a good team, and I don't like how the Bills' zone defense matches up with their quick-pass offense. I think the game will come down to getting stops in the red zone (FGs vs TDs) where the field of play is compressed. But what the hell do I know, I just watch football from my couch on Sundays (not sarcasm).

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Caesar said:

I have already complained on this Board about our offensive scheme patheticness, but that has nothing to do with the limited playbook we were using.

I have no reason to post on here Weeks 1-4, it was not our mutual game week.

Hoard and Lap are tremendous homers, I can barely listen to them.    If you ever do listen again, pay attention to Lap asking a question about anything, ie: "Joe Burrow looked good didnt he?", Lap always answers the question prior to whomever can reply... "I mean Burrow was 19-19 to start the game, and he avoided sacks, and ran those draw plays, and he threw for 3 TDs, man he looked good didnt he?"   Our local media is kind of annoying minus a couple guys. 

We’re you posting on other teams boards before losses?

On 10/31/2023 at 6:31 PM, Buffalo03 said:

The only reason I think it could be a long night against the Bengals is because of their WRs against our corners. Trying to think of Dane and Benford stopping Chase, Higgins and Boyd is scary. I do think Rasul Douglas plays but not a whole lot. I fear the defense can get shredded. I have Jamarr Chase and Tyler Boyd on the same team in fantasy and I'm starting both. I hope I'm wrong but I just think the game could get bad for the Bills defensively very quickly 

Just unfortunate we don't get these guys with a healthy Tre, Von, Matt & DQ.  Josh better score early. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We’re you posting on other teams boards before losses?

I always talk with AFCN fanbases.  I did chat with Niners fans last week. 

Interesting question, I'm not trolling btw, calm down.  

Edited by Caesar

8 minutes ago, julian said:

Yeah I recall all of that, he only gave Allen that credit after the 13 second game because it was obvious to every fan of football that Allen was on Mahomes level, the first opportunity to revert back to the hate he did so.

I appreciate your take but I’ll respectfully disagree and stick with what seems to make the most sense in my opinion.

If and when Burrow ever gets the Mahomes or Burrow discussion like Allen received after 2021 postseason, you’ll quickly see Wrights vitriol aimed directly at Burrow.

He’s wet insecure with Mahomes positioning as the leagues clear cut #1

Fair enough, agree to disagree! 

And yes, he's very insecure about Mahomes & acts like the world is out to get him... even though everyone in the media praises him constantly & places him firmly in his own tier as the best QB in the league.

The reason I think he feels Burrow is Mahomes' biggest threat is because he's far less likely to make definitive statements, promises, or have those wild takes (which he gets so much attention for) when it comes to Burrow. Pretty much just Burrow, too. Literally anyone else is fair game at some point, but he's so much more reserved with how he talks about Burrow after the Bengals beat the Chiefs (in Arrowhead) to make it to the SB.

He's also the last guy to admit being wrong about anything (just look at him with his Jokic takes in the NBA or how he STILL tries to talk up Baker Mayfield), so there's just no way he'll ever give Allen proper credit without added sarcasm & joke comments.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/1/2023 at 8:51 AM, Success said:

Great team, and they could absolutely beat us on Sunday.

But what's the deal?  Reading this board, we seem to have little to no chance.  If I just went by the posts here, I'd think Cincy was the top team in the league, and unstoppable.

The Bills have lost as many games as the Bengals.  Our losses were all close. Basically down to a play or 2.  The Bengals have been absolutely blown out - twice. Against the Browns and Titans; not exactly world beaters.

"Burrow's calf was hurt" seems to be the main excuse.  Kind of like JA's UCL the entire 2nd half of the 2022 season, or his shoulder much of this season.  Excuses are just that.  That team has gotten blown out - twice.

This is as even a match of good teams as there is in the NFL.  Let's take a break on the doom talk.  Their struggles have been very similar to ours this year.  This should be a great game.

I think you're being oversensitive to the most depressive folks on here.

We have a good chance. So do they. With Burrow healthy they're a damn good team. 

If it were in Buffalo we'd be favored by a point.

It's just that in the last few games the Bills aren't playing their best ball, and the Bengals are playing theirs.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I think you're being oversensitive to the most depressive folks on here.

We have a good chance. So do they. With Burrow healthy they're a damn good team. 

If it were in Buffalo we'd be favored by a point.

It's just that in the last few games the Bills aren't playing their best ball, and the Bengals are playing theirs.

I think we tend to underrate our wins and overrate our opponents wins.  TB is a pretty tough defense and we moved the ball on them pretty much at will. But since the game came down to a Hail Mary because of a handful of flukey plays all going TBs way somehow we played badly supposedly.  

cincy apparently beat some unstoppable juggernaut but SF missing Deebo and Trent Williams is a 6 win team at best. 

Cincy and buffalo both seem really similar to me and they both have played bad football

for a stretch.  Anything can happen in this one 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, somnus00 said:

I don't consider the Bengals to be some unbeatable juggernaut. But they are a good team, and I don't like how the Bills' zone defense matches up with their quick-pass offense. I think the game will come down to getting stops in the red zone (FGs vs TDs) where the field of play is compressed. But what the hell do I know, I just watch football from my couch on Sundays (not sarcasm).

And this is why I am hard on McD.  It will come down to some stops on D and McD making the right calls at the right time imo.

Yep I too am watching alone (or with my son) nothing complicated.

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

It will come down to some stops on D and McD making the right calls at the right time imo.

And no more stupid, avoidable penalties on "defense gets off the field" plays.  Hopefully Linval Joseph can play and be in the game at those times.

38 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

And no more stupid, avoidable penalties on "defense gets off the field" plays.  Hopefully Linval Joseph can play and be in the game at those times.

Those are the worst.  The refs unfortunately can play a major role if they flag ticky-tack penalties. 

On 10/31/2023 at 6:51 PM, Success said:

Great team, and they could absolutely beat us on Sunday.

But what's the deal?  Reading this board, we seem to have little to no chance.  If I just went by the posts here, I'd think Cincy was the top team in the league, and unstoppable.

The Bills have lost as many games as the Bengals.  Our losses were all close. Basically down to a play or 2.  The Bengals have been absolutely blown out - twice. Against the Browns and Titans; not exactly world beaters.

"Burrow's calf was hurt" seems to be the main excuse.  Kind of like JA's UCL the entire 2nd half of the 2022 season, or his shoulder much of this season.  Excuses are just that.  That team has gotten blown out - twice.

This is as even a match of good teams as there is in the NFL.  Let's take a break on the doom talk.  Their struggles have been very similar to ours this year.  This should be a great game.

I mean, we heard the same thing about the Chiefs after we had back-to-back losses to them in the 2020 season.  We couldn't measure up, we couldn't beat them, how could we contain Kelce AND Hill.  2021, we beat them very solidly in the regular season only to lose by 13 seconds in the playoffs, then beat them in 2022 again.

The Bengals were a better team end of last season and they're presumed to be the better team until we prove we can beat them.

I'd feel a heck of a lot better about this game if we had White, Milano, and Jones.

On 10/31/2023 at 5:02 PM, BarleyNY said:

LOL. Revenge for a playoff beat down is not possible in the middle of the regular season. 

If we can beat tomorrow and drop them to 4-4, Allen might not have the opportunity to get his revenge on them in the postseason. Not only would they be .500 but they would be 0-4 in the conference. They are 4-0 against the NFC West. Pretty crazy that they have played all 4 NFC West teams already. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BigDingus said:

He dislikes Allen because Nick doesn't know how to be fluid with his takes. He had Allen as a bust after his rookie year, then thought his Sophomore year solidified that. By the time the COVID season hit, Nick was already set in his opinion about Allen. So when Allen has a season that would win him MVP if it was almost any other year, Nick tried to explain it away & justify that Allen/the Bills were still not a REAL contender.

2021 he continued to double down, comparing him to Davis Mills & Daniel Jones, and only talking about Allen if he made mistakes or had a bad game. And the Bills gave him ammo, choking against the Jags & getting blown out at home vs the Colts. The first time he gave Allen legit credit was after the Chiefs playoff game. That's how long it took for him to admit Allen was legit, with no added mockery.

But the 2022 offseason made him spiteful, and his Allen appreciation reverted to Allen mockery. It was all because of the media hype & Vegas oddsmakers placing the Bills as SB favorites over KC. This is when he gave Allen the "rollercoaster" Allen moniker. And he's carried on that nonsense ever since then. Unfortunately, a lot of people love First Thing's First, and his narrative is actually catching on with general NFL fans.

I think his constant over the top criticism of Allen is honestly the biggest compliment he can give Allen. I believe he knows Allen is the only QB in the league that actually has the talent and ability to be better than Mahomes if Allen puts it all together. So really, his criticism is more fear based. 

That said, he is absolutely right that Allen does go through more ups and downs but that also just confirms that Allen's upside is really high. Even higher than Mahomes. And that is what he is fearful of but of course will never admit. 

15 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think we tend to underrate our wins and overrate our opponents wins.  TB is a pretty tough defense and we moved the ball on them pretty much at will. But since the game came down to a Hail Mary because of a handful of flukey plays all going TBs way somehow we played badly supposedly.  

cincy apparently beat some unstoppable juggernaut but SF missing Deebo and Trent Williams is a 6 win team at best. 

Cincy and buffalo both seem really similar to me and they both have played bad football

for a stretch.  Anything can happen in this one 

Tampa is not a good team. 

The Bills offense did look good vs Tampa. It was a new look of sort of speak with a fast pace, RPOs, and spreading the ball around. Credit the coaching staff for a great game plan vs a Tampa pass funnel blitzing defense. It was the very type of offensive scheme to beat their defense.  

I am fairly sure we will see some of this vs Cincinnati. How much? Who knows? Will it be as effective? Who knows? I do think it probably gives the Bills a better shot to win the game. Gives the Bengals more to think about and less time to scheme in game. 

The Bills offense can't afford turnovers and has to execute in the red zone. 

I still have some concerns about the consistency of the Bills O. Let's be honest, prior to the Tampa game the Bills offense was not great. Concerns with play calling, lack of Allen running, and others contributing. Hopefully, the offense clicks on all cylinders.

On defense, I don't think the Bills defense stops or contains the Bengals offense. Burrow is going the shred it with quick accurate passes and then take his shots downfield. Chase, Higgins, and Boyd are just too talented for the Bills suspect secondary. Burrow is by far the best QB the Bills have faced.  Mix in Mixon running and more importantly the screen game. The Bills can never stop screen passes for some reason. 30 points minimum for the Bengals and likely closer to 40. 

Side note for any betters. The over is a great bet. 

Buffalo's pass rush is actually superior to last year, even without Von Miller. I fully expect to see Burrow very uncomfortable in this game. Make no mistake. Cincy is in for a fight they won't soon forget. And I think Josh and the offense are going to put up some good numbers too. This game is going to be good.

My concern is that the last two times that Buffalo has faced the Bengals, they were critical games for the Bills and the Bengals beat them convincingly.   I ask myself what is different about this Bills team, I the answer is that the differences are not earthshaking.  As has been pointed out, the Bills are down a couple of key defensive players.  Linval Joseph may help at the 1T spot, but it's expecting an awful lot to think that a guy who's been sitting at home watching football can come in on a day or two of practice and adequately replace a guy who has proven to be one of the better 1Ts in the league.  I think Dodson is probably at his ceiling now.  He's not going to get a lot better, and his best is a long way below what Buffalo got from Milano.  Dorian Williams is on a learning curve and we have no idea how quickly he can improve.  We just know he has a long way to go.  

Overall, Buffalo has to give evidence of a lot more self-discipline and mental toughness than the team has shown the last few weeks.  That said, I picked Buffalo to win in out Pick-em league.

7 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

If we can beat tomorrow and drop them to 4-4, Allen might not have the opportunity to get his revenge on them in the postseason. Not only would they be .500 but they would be 0-4 in the conference. They are 4-0 against the NFC West. Pretty crazy that they have played all 4 NFC West teams already. 

Yup - Cinci would have to go 7-2 down the stretch most likely if they lose to us on Sunday.

56 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

My concern is that the last two times that Buffalo has faced the Bengals, they were critical games for the Bills and the Bengals beat them convincingly. 

Yup. The Bills are obviously not 0-2 against the Bengals in their last two games against them given that the first game lasted less than one quarter. But it sure feels like we are 0-2. 

11 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Yup. The Bills are obviously not 0-2 against the Bengals in their last two games against them given that the first game lasted less than one quarter. But it sure feels like we are 0-2. 

This^ . Pretty sure the Bills and Bungles have split their last two meetings. ( I know I know , different QB and all that, but projecting an entire game on essentially a drive apiece is silly) 

On 11/1/2023 at 8:24 AM, SCBills said:

Sure, it could .. maybe people who have some strange doom complex can provide more detail as to why they think this will happen … or they can just make themselves feel better by posting negativity, absent explanation, about their team.  

I actually wouldn’t pick us to win this game if I had to make a choice.   I absolutely think we can, but we haven’t shown anything in terms of player execution, consistency and coaching this year, or against this team, that makes me confident in that.  

…but I’m not going to plaster social media with “this might get ugly” posts so that I can cope better.   This team deserves better than that and if they want to be taken seriously, will come out and win Sunday Night. 

Can you do psychoanalysis on people who are oblivious to reality next?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.