Bernard/Williams >>> Edmunds/Milano by the end of the regular season

Big Turk

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Let's calm down a bit.  Milano is an All Pro caliber player, and Williams is filling his spot.  Bernard is filling Edmund's spot and I think that's a wash at minimum.

Bernard being a wash with Edmunds is pretty laughable.

17 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Bernard being a wash with Edmunds is pretty laughable.

It's FIVE GAMES IN.  Bernard has played exceptionally well but shouldn't we at least let him put together a whole season of games?  We don't even know yet if he's durable enough to make it to the end of the year, his style of play is far more aggressive than his body type would suggest.  Let's see if he can hold up, stay healthy and continue his production before we start crowing his a$$.    

6 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It's FIVE GAMES IN.  Bernard has played exceptionally well but shouldn't we at least let him put together a whole season of games?  We don't even know yet if he's durable enough to make it to the end of the year, his style of play is far more aggressive than his body type would suggest.  Let's see if he can hold up, stay healthy and continue his production before we start crowing his a$$.    

2 games in, Bernard had already been the best player on the field in a game for either team.  Was Edmunds ever that in any game in 5 years?

There is also this...

image.thumb.png.5394e7e7ee40060dcf654054d2dec21d.png

Edited by Big Turk

Just went back and read the first part of the thread when they drafted Williams in the third round…

Looks like a lot of people (including me) might be eating some crow about this pick …

He is developing nicely it appears … I’m still keeping my lid on expectations this season but come next season they might have something…

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

I don’t know if Williams will ever be as good as Milano, but he shows promise in his own right.  Bernard, I believe will surpass Edmunds in time.  He’s been a significant participant in this defense, and McD is getting the most out if his players.

I’d argue he already has, even with the small sample size. I’ve seen Bernard do things Edmunds has never done, like get skinny through a hole and meet the RB at or behind the LoS. Or juke a blocking RB to get a sack.

I used to see Edmunds get rag dolled by lineman and blocked by tight ends and those running backs. Bernard gets blocked, but I haven’t yet seen him get thrown to the ground or fly backwards on skates because a lineman has his hands on his chest. Not to mention Bernard’s awareness and knack for making a play when around the ball. He’s everything we wanted Edmunds to be, just in a much smaller frame.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I’d argue he already has, even with the small sample size. I’ve seen Bernard do things Edmunds has never done, like get skinny through a hole and meet the RB at or behind the LoS. Or juke a blocking RB to get a sack.

I used to see Edmunds get rag dolled by lineman and blocked by tight ends and those running backs. Bernard gets blocked, but I haven’t yet seen him get thrown to the ground or fly backwards on skates because a lineman has his hands on his chest. Not to mention Bernard’s awareness and knack for making a play when around the ball. He’s everything we wanted Edmunds to be, just in a much smaller frame.

I am in full agreement with you on this.

I don't know the technicalities of the position, but just from the eye test, Bernard has done many things that Edmunds was unable to do for us. I had my concerns about Bernard before the year started, not anymore.

I will echo what one poster said that due to Bernard's size and aggressive style, that usually leads to getting injured.

See, Taron Johnson. That is a concern, so hopefully we can see him the entire season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Bernard did put up stats in 3 games that took Edmunds 46 games to do.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I have watched Dorian Williams play the last 2 games and have come away really impressed with this kid...the dude is all over the place...yes in the Jags game maybe he was a little TOO "all over the place" as he overran some runs, but he also had some fantastically athletic pass breakups too.  Last game was much better and he shed blocks a few times to make tackles for short gains better than I ever remember seeing Edmunds do.

I strongly believe that by the end of the year Bernard/Williams will be better than Edmunds/Milano last year as a tandem on the field, once Williams gains experience.  That being said, I still think Bernard/Milano would be the best combo for them...Milano is just so good, it's crazy.  Dude does everything well.  I just think Williams is a better fit for what the Bills are trying to do on a down to down basis than Edmunds was and will prove to be even better once he gets more reps and experience as the season moves on.  Bernard is already Milano "Lite" and has been nothing short of remarkable for us.  

Thoughts on this?  I know it's a little bit of speculation and some high praise for Williams who we haven't seen enough of, but I think this kid has it at LB. 

I mean, i'm all for positivity and seeing the best in players and hoping for the best. But Williams will not be Milano in his first year, probably never will be. He can be very good - but Milano may be the best off the ball Linebacker in football period.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I have watched Dorian Williams play the last 2 games and have come away really impressed with this kid...the dude is all over the place...yes in the Jags game maybe he was a little TOO "all over the place" as he overran some runs, but he also had some fantastically athletic pass breakups too.  Last game was much better and he shed blocks a few times to make tackles for short gains better than I ever remember seeing Edmunds do.

I strongly believe that by the end of the year Bernard/Williams will be better than Edmunds/Milano last year as a tandem on the field, once Williams gains experience.  That being said, I still think Bernard/Milano would be the best combo for them...Milano is just so good, it's crazy.  Dude does everything well.  I just think Williams is a better fit for what the Bills are trying to do on a down to down basis than Edmunds was and will prove to be even better once he gets more reps and experience as the season moves on.  Bernard is already Milano "Lite" and has been nothing short of remarkable for us.  

Thoughts on this?  I know it's a little bit of speculation and some high praise for Williams who we haven't seen enough of, but I think this kid has it at LB. 

I will say Bernard has looked better to me than Edmunds.  Williams i am pleased with but Milano is all pro.  Maybe a in a couple years but not by the end of the season

7 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yea. No. Bernard is much better than edmunds. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Are you trying to sabotage their lineups?  Or are you really that high on a guy that has yet to top 60 rushing yards in a game this season?  He is averaging 3 yards per carry and has a total of 2 TDs.  NE has been very bad at running the ball this year and I highly doubt they have a break out game against the Bills, even with Oliver out.

I wouldn't overstate the point about the Pats weak running game.

The Bills aren't only missing Ed Oliver, they're also missing Daquan Jones. The dropoff from these two to Jordan Phillips, Poona Ford, and Tim Settle is fairly huge IMO. Both Oliver and Jones were playing at approximate All-Pro levels.

11 hours ago, jahnyc said:

Evaluating our recent drafts has become more complicated with the play of Bernard and others (such as Moss).  I do like our most recent draft with Kincaid, Torrence and Williams all performing well as rookie players.

Before this year, most people here were considering Epenesa a bust too.

9 hours ago, Big Turk said:

image.thumb.png.1438e5b313b4b3dab271d9a76f60ee6b.png

What are the percentages supposed to indicate?

Schatz' post is meaningless without knowing what the percentages mean.

Just now, Beck Water said:

AJ Klein is currently on the 53 man roster.

AJ will surprise if he plays

McDermott knows his strengths and weaknesses...  he would be an edge Blitzer and can make plays 

Keep him aggressive and he will surprise... Russel Wilson has NEVER been the same after he met AJ

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

The Bills aren't only missing Ed Oliver, they're also missing Daquan Jones. The dropoff from these two to Jordan Phillips, Poona Ford, and Tim Settle is fairly huge IMO. Both Oliver and Jones were playing at approximate All-Pro levels.

Oliver and Jones are very big losses on the line.  But Phillips, Ford, and Settle would probably start for half the teams in the league.  These are not scrubs that are liabilities.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

True but their defense is terrible.  They've allowed an average of 28 PPG the last 3 games.

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I am a Dorien Williams fan

Having said that, there’s no way that I am possibly happy with the fact that Matt Milano is not playing. He is an absolute stud, a playmaker a star.

Dorien Williams has a lot of potential and it shows he’s not quite Milano yet

Agree.  But no one is happy that Milano is out.  At most we're happy that Williams was a) drafted, b) groomed behind him and c) looking like he has promise.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

On 10/20/2023 at 11:46 AM, warrior9 said:

I mean, Milano was All-Pro last year which means he's top 2-3. 

Yeah I couldn't recall when I wrote this, was he All Pro or Pro Bowl which is like anyone still standing in January makes the Pro Bowl.  So to be safe and not be challenged, I said top 10, but I felt he was more like top 5 or higher too.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Oliver and Jones are very big losses on the line.  But Phillips, Ford, and Settle would probably start for half the teams in the league.  These are not scrubs that are liabilities.

imo, BB will test the middle of our D early and often to see how the DL and LBers hold up. This is a good test for our new LBers. 

I doubt BB will let Jones (or whichever scrub plays QB) test the perimeter with passes. Our D will have to cover the middle of the field. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

imo, BB will test the middle of our D early and often to see how the DL and LBers hold up. This is a good test for our new LBers. 

I doubt BB will let Jones (or whichever scrub plays QB) test the perimeter with passes. Our D will have to cover the middle of the field. 

They have no speed and Jones has a noodle arm.  That means playing closer to the LOS. 

And on the flip-side their defense is terrible.  Easily the worst that Josh has faced.

I’m gonna go ahead and say no.  For that math to check out, you would have to say Bernard is incrementally better than Edmunds, more so than Milano is better than Williams.  Milano is an All-Pro, Williams is not close.  As cool as it would be if he can make it to be a pro-bowler, there’s just no chance of closing that gap to Milano by the much in this season.

On 10/20/2023 at 11:04 AM, Big Turk said:

You mean their 31st ranked run and pass offense.  Yes...huge challenge it would seem. Watch other games much?

You know that players do improve typically in their rookie years as time goes on right?  Usually pretty massively.  That's why I specifically said end of the season.  

For sure but must of the talk here has been positive and as I said his ceiling looks high. Like any rookie he looks inconsistent. Guess I would point you to spencer brown, another 3rd round/high ceiling player we had to depend on as a rookie.  People were so thrilled with him (people thought his absence was why we lost the jags game) and then realized he wasn’t reliable. I see willams in a similar light. Def doesn’t have to turn out the same but I’m not taking improvement as a guarantee and right now it’s got some big lows. 

would also note I didn’t mind the draft pick at the time as much as others that loathed it. I think it looks better in hindsight and the logic is clear (need good play behind Milano in case of injury). Just like Kincaid I think we should temper our expectations. 

Edited by YattaOkasan

On 10/20/2023 at 10:23 AM, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I think Bernard could be better than Edmunds, but that's big leap for Williams to be better than Milano, who is being talked about as one of top 10 in league if not higher.

That being said Williams could be better than Milano post injury or at least through the 2024 season.  By 2025 Williams is in his 3rd year, so could see him replacing Milano barring a miraculous recovery.  Certainly this injury will drastically accelerate Williams learning curve.

But overall IMO team would be better right now, by year end, and in 2024 with Milano & Bernard as the starters.

Top 10 in the league?

Fred Warner

Matt Milano

The rest...

20 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I am a Dorien Williams fan

Having said that, there’s no way that I am possibly happy with the fact that Matt Milano is not playing. He is an absolute stud, a playmaker a star.

Dorien Williams has a lot of potential and it shows he’s not quite Milano yet

How dare you steal what I was gonna say. Truly I thought Dorian was gonna be our LB2 and him and Milano were gonna tear it up until I was pleasantly surprised by Bernard 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

How dare you steal what I was gonna say. Truly I thought Dorian was gonna be our LB2 and him and Milano were gonna tear it up until I was pleasantly surprised by Bernard 

It’s really good news for us as we start to venture into the area where we’re gonna have to make tough decisions on contracts while we still continue try to improve our team

I’m not saying that the cut is going to be Milano, but having the depth at these positions so that we don’t have to draft it or free agent it is going to be huge

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

It’s really good news for us as we start to venture into the area where we’re gonna have to make tough decisions on contracts while we still continue try to improve our team

I’m not saying that the cut is going to be Milano, but having the depth at these positions so that we don’t have to draft it or free agent it is going to be huge

They can’t cut Milano without a huge cap hit until after the 2025 season.  He’s not going anywhere for awhile.

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

All three LBs seem very interchangeable. Edmunds really stood out with his size and created issues solely because of that, but the Milano/Bernard/Williams are way more intense and instinctual.

But DID he really? That's the narrative, but it isn't supported by anything other than repetition. Can it be quantified at all? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.