Are people really that unhappy with our 4-2 Bills?

eball

From the moment we opened the 2020 season and destroyed the Jets, I have expected us to air raid everyone all the time and reserve the right to complain in any moment where we didn’t put up a gazillion points in the immediate prior game.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Special K said:

Yeah, the team has been good for four plus years at this point....as far as I'm concerned, the team has established itself as a perennial playoff participant.

We all just want the Bills to take that next step and make it to the Super Bowl and win it.

After the Miami game, the Bills looked poised to do just that, but these last couple of weeks, thanks to injuries and inconsistent Offensive play, the team looks less likely to make that step this year, and it can be frustrating.

Josh Allen only has so many "Prime seasons" left....the Bills have to take advantage of his talents while they have them, because this team could quickly slide back to "lovable loser" status once he is gone.

Go Bills!!

You had me until the Josh only has so many prime seasons left comment.  That’s just not true.  QB’s with the new rules are able to make it much longer than QB’s from even 15 years ago.  Josh will still be our captain at least til he’s 38, and even longer.

I simply couldn't imagine how boring any forum would be if everyone was positive.

Poster A - The Bills are great!
Poster B - They sure are buddy!

Poster C - I concur with your thoughts pals!

Poster A - Isn't Dorsey swell?
Poster C- He sure does seem like a cool guy!
Poster B - I just got a great idea. Let's start a fundraiser to send him some chicken wings for lunch tomorrow!
Poster A - Great idea buddy!

Poster C - Great idea pal!

Woof. 

• Haha (+1) 3

HELL NO!!!

Our defense is better and our offense is the same... once we punch that playoffs ticket, ANYTHING could happen.

2 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

You had me until the Josh only has so many prime seasons left comment.  That’s just not true.  QB’s with the new rules are able to make it much longer than QB’s from even 15 years ago.  Josh will still be our captain at least til he’s 38, and even longer.

Not if he keeps putting his body out there to take needless punishment, he'll end up like Cam Newton. I think Josh is starting to realize this and is dialing it back a little bit.

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I simply couldn't imagine how boring any forum would be if everyone was positive.

Poster B - I just got a great idea. Let's start a fundraiser to send him some chicken wings for lunch tomorrow!

Woof. 

exactly

bitching is half of fandom

• Like (+1) 1

You know it's funny if Bass who is normally very good, makes both his fg attempts the Bills win 20-9.

I wonder how much whining there would be today if that was the case.

They were in position to make it so but bass had an off night.  With that context, I don't think the Bills were "lucky" to beat the giants as some have said in this thread. 

For some reason we have to pay attention to the giants errors as to why they should have won the game but not the bills errors that had nothing to do with dorsey to make it a more comfortable convincing win.  Even that 3rd down throw to knox, he was open the playcall worked but the pass was a little low and knox didn't make the play.

People are forgetting to enjoy the regular season and instead anxiously awaiting the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And the debate about what is wrong with the team NOW as we stand here in the present day I have absolutely no issue with. That is what you do as fans. It is the extrapolating out to doom in 11 or 14 weeks time. That is the big I don't get and honestly, isn't healthy. By all means let's talk about what is wrong with the offense, whether the defense can overcome the injuries, whether the playcalling and coaching decisions against the Giants were good enough. Absolutely let's talk about that. That is there here and now. I am absolutely NOT saying "let's only be positive" I hate that type of approach. It is toxic positivity. But I'm just saying the people whose heads are already in January are going about it the wrong way. 

Isn’t healthy and don’t get? That is what the coaches and players do. You look at what could we be doing better and what is not working. Some fans like to do that as well. But this boards tends to group people together way too much. If I’m critical then I’m in the fire everyone, we are going to lose, blow it up etc. I can’t be I think we are a really good team but want and expect better. I see things we are not doing well and like to discuss it. Isn’t that point of coming on a board like this? If your a just have fun and enjoy the ride fan then why waste the energy and time reading this stuff. 

4 hours ago, Gregg said:

You aren't giving the Jets and Jags enough credit. They are both good teams.

The Jets lost their big off season acquisition on the 4th play of the season, enabling the Bills to go to 0-2 vs Zack Wilson... 0-2 vs Zack Wilson

The Jaguars are another story that'll remain in my craw all season. How do you give up a home game to another AFC competitor ? ... A home game that the Bills would have won in Buffalo but went to England, played predictably like crap, lost the game and lost Milano and Jones for the season. I hope the check the Bills got was worth it.

• Angry 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Even so, that’s still only 8 or 9 years...not long in the grand scheme of things.

Cmon OP

Look beyond the record and give us some grace

Our franchise savior shat the bed on national TV and lost to Zach Wilson with a fourth quarter lead. 

The team is decimated with injuries to some of the most important and popular players.

They needed a referre gift and horrific clock management from the Giants to get a win.

They have played one game of beautiful football against an elite opponent and it was amazing to watch. 

Other than that it has been a grind emotionally. If they can stack together a few more wins here in the coming weeks, Von starts to look better, and the offense finds a rhythm the mood will improve. 

• Agree 3

You know what it means if you lost the two games by a total of 11 points? It means you lost two games. Wouldn't have been better or worse if we'd lost by more. That's a pure justification, pure spin.

4 - 2 isn't awful. But with the schedule we have played so far, it is not good enough.

We have played the Jets (3-3), the Raiders (3-3), the Commanders (3-3), the Dolphins (5-1), the Jaguars(4-2) and the Giants (1-5). This was an easy part of the schedule. We should be 5-1. Possibly even 6-0. 

The hard part of the schedule is not here yet. You have to make hay against the schedule we had. 

Having said that, the situation isn't that bad. We're a good team, a team that is likely to contend for a Super Bowl.

But of course we're disappointed a bit. Well we should be.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

The Jets lost their big off season acquisition on the 4th play of the season, enabling the Bills to go to 0-2 vs Zack Wilson... 0-2 vs Zack Wilson

The Jaguars are another story that'll remain in my craw all season. How do you give up a home game to another AFC competitor ? ... A home game that the Bills would have won in Buffalo but went to England, played predictably like crap, lost the game and lost Milano and Jones for the season. I hope the check the Bills got was worth it.

Wait do you think the Bills had a say in that?

25 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

They didn't do it because they chose to because they got a check.

But yeah, the Bills should have won both of those games. They're a significantly better team than either of those two.

If they'd lost to the Fins, that wouldn't have bothered me nearly as much as bowing to those two stiffs.

1 minute ago, NUT said:

Yes, they are not a championship team due to poor coaching. This will be Josh Allens' legacy.

Nonsense. Their coaching is good.

And thinking that Josh Allen's legacy is already estabilished or known is flat-out nuts. 

Edited by Thurman#1

29 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Isn’t healthy and don’t get? That is what the coaches and players do. You look at what could we be doing better and what is not working. Some fans like to do that as well. But this boards tends to group people together way too much. If I’m critical then I’m in the fire everyone, we are going to lose, blow it up etc. I can’t be I think we are a really good team but want and expect better. I see things we are not doing well and like to discuss it. Isn’t that point of coming on a board like this? If your a just have fun and enjoy the ride fan then why waste the energy and time reading this stuff. 

You misunderstand me. I am not saying don't discuss stuff we are not doing well. That is the opposite of what I am saying. I want to discuss what we are and are not doing well. What I don't want to discuss is what we are doing in 14 weeks time if we are not doing well. Living in that state will suck the fun out of it. 

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Asked and answered 

Not my problem that there's some inconsequential median you find significant 

Performance is inconsequential? 

Um, no it isn't.

Those are performance indicators.

4 - 2 is a better one. But that's not great either against the schedule we've played.

We had no control over the record of the Chiefs or Bengals. Just over our own. Which is not good, because of some performances well below our capabilities.

17 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Cmon OP

Look beyond the record and give us some grace

Our franchise savior shat the bed on national TV and lost to Zach Wilson with a fourth quarter lead. 

The team is decimated with injuries to some of the most important and popular players.

They needed a referre gift and horrific clock management from the Giants to get a win.

They have played one game of beautiful football against an elite opponent and it was amazing to watch. 

Other than that it has been a grind emotionally. If they can stack together a few more wins here in the coming weeks, Von starts to look better, and the offense finds a rhythm the mood will improve. 

A number of these injuries are little nagging ones, and should subside we hope with winnable games against NE, and TB.  The Bucs are doing it with smilie and mirrors.  They have a decent defense, but the offense when faced with a real opponent like Philly and Detroit.  We should beat them and it’s the only time I don’t root for the Bucs as I’ve lived here since moving for grad school.  My sons and friends are Bucs fans, but my boys are loyal to my Bills (given my constant brainwashing since birth)

We have the Bengals, but they don’t look nearly as strong as last year, and then the hapless Broncos.

Well be fin as long as we don’t lose any more Tre’s, Jones, and my favorite in Milano.

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Performance is inconsequential? 

Um, no it isn't.

Those are performance indicators.

4 - 2 is a better one. But that's not great either against the schedule we've played.

We had no control over the record of the Chiefs or Bengals. Just over our own. Which is not good, because of some performances well below our capabilities.

Please go back and read the conversation you just inserted yourself into

If you're still confused afterwards I'll be glad to answer any further questions👍

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Is this type of thinking that creates acceptance to medicity.

Nonsense.  All this hysterical angst about the Bills performance in the last two games is a collective temper tantrum by fools who think know that the Bills need to do SOMETHING -- ANYTHING -- ASAP, from trading for has-beens and never-weres to firing the coaching staff.  None of these whiners offer realistic solutions.  They only demand change for change's sake.

5 hours ago, ngbills said:

I wish the Pats had this mindset and stuck with Drew Bledsoe

Actually, the Pats did stick with Bledsoe until they found that they had a young QB who was better.  What young player on the Bills is better than the current starter?  One could argue that Kincaid is better than Knox but the Bills have changed their offense to incorporate both TEs in the offense at the same time.   Is Quintin Morris better than Knox?  Who knows?  His TD catch against the Giants was only his second reception of the season out of 10 or 11 targets. 

It seems to me that the Bills are not standing pat with veterans when they believe they have a young player who's better.  The Bills didn't offer Trey Edmunds a new contract because they figured Terrell Bernard would be better.  All the message board GM-wannabes were up in arms about the Bills not chasing after veteran MLBs until they actually saw Bernard play.

Edited by SoTier

I was ecstatic after the Dolphins game. The last two games this team seriously underperformed, and that's cause for concern going forward. But we'll see.

On the other hand, I'm also ecstatic that it's almost Halloween and we're not out of the playoff race already.

• Agree 1

Yet another dose of verbal diarrhea from @eball.

You know, this topic about perspective would be a little bit more profound if you didn't make it every. single. year.

You like to be a Bills fan by being a cheerleader. Cool. Happy for you. You have optimism and hope because you see the sun come up the next day.

Some people like to be fans in different ways. Some of them watch the All-22 and really try to break it down. Some people know more about X's and O's than you. Some people pretend they do.

To me, personally, I thought the success of this season was predicated on an offense that would be improved from all the silly "rookie OC" or poor talent-related mistakes and hiccups from last year. To my eye, it may honestly be worse.

Things may change. It's a long season. But I was hoping the Bills offense would look better than last year, and so far they haven't and so far, there goes my hope we are gonna win a Superbowl.

But again, cool you prefer cheerleading instead.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, eball said:

I just don't know what to make of this board and our fans these days.  To the uninformed observer, if you just looked at the threads on the first page you'd assume this was a bottom-feeding squad.  The Bills are #3 in scoring offense and scoring defense, +4 in takeaways, and are right in the position most expected them to be when the season began.

Nobody ever won the Super Bowl in October, and history is replete with scads of teams that looked "unbeatable" at this juncture and didn't lift the Lombardi.

Lately, the issue is with <yawn> Dorsey again...bad gameplan, can't get the ball to anyone other than Diggs, yada, yada, yada.  What I saw Sunday night was a slow start on offense fueled by an untimely fumble, a drop, and a fantastic tip/interception by the Giants on a pass headed to Knox for a big gainer.  When the team returned from halftime they marched down the field twice for TDs and were a fingertip catch away from icing the game.

Is everything perfect?  Of course not!  But it never is, and crucifying Dorsey on October 18 -- two weeks after he was called brilliant for his gameplan vs. Miami -- is the perfect lens through which to view Bills fans.

Maybe a lot of you really have nothing else to do but sit around and dream up wild conspiracy theories about how Josh could force his way out of Buffalo, psychoanalyze whether Brian Daboll and Sean McDermott have a blood feud, or criticize the Bills for using Diggs as their first option in the passing game.

They lost two games by a total of 11 points!

The ONLY thing that matters is that the Bills grind out wins so they put themselves into decent playoff position, and that they are playing their best football in DECEMBER.

"But it's a fan message board.  That's what we do."

Ok.  You be you.  I'll continue to look at what is going right, share my opinions in an upbeat way, and show some faith in the players and coaches to work on what they need to work on.  This can still be a very special season; the league is wide open.

Go Bills!

18-2, Babyyyyyy!!!

There’s people on this board who are perpetually unhappy. I have to admit I too am concerned with how much Ken Dorsey calls a game but that’s what’s called being a fan. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SoTier said:

Nonsense.  All this hysterical angst about the Bills performance in the last two games is a collective temper tantrum by fools who think know that the Bills need to do SOMETHING -- ANYTHING -- ASAP, from trading for has-beens and never-weres to firing the coaching staff.  None of these whiners offer realistic solutions.  They only demand change for change's sake.

Actually, the Pats did stick with Bledsoe until they found that they had a young QB who was better.  What young player on the Bills is better than the current starter?  One could argue that Kincaid is better than Knox but the Bills have changed their offense to incorporate both TEs in the offense at the same time.   Is Quintin Morris better than Knox?  Who knows?  His TD catch against the Giants was only his second reception of the season out of 10 or 11 targets. 

It seems to me that the Bills are not standing pat with veterans when they believe they have a young player who's better.  The Bills didn't offer Trey Edmunds a new contract because they figured Terrell Bernard would be better.  All the message board GM-wannabes were up in arms about the Bills not chasing after veteran MLBs until they actually saw Bernard play.

How is it working out with Spencer Brown? You satisfied with Davis as a WR2? They resigned Poyer who looks to be a shell of himself. Rapp can't even see the field. Elam just blows. Kincaid is a 5 yard catch TE. Cook is never utilized in the screen game. 

Let's paint a complete picture here please. They Bills have made plenty of bad moves and non moves. 

The hysteria is only a figment on your imagination. It's called construction criticism which many just don't like to hear. Obviously, you are one of them. All is not glamorous at one Bills drive nor is the sky falling. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, jahnyc said:

I am certainly unhappy about the injuries.  Hard to have Milano, Jones and White all out for the season, particularly since they are three of my favorite players on the team.  Wish the offense would show some consistency, and I am concerned that we saw similar issues with the offense at different points last season.  Team should be 5-1 given the strength of the teams that they have played so far, so 4-2 is a bit disappointing.

I agree that losing White, Milano and Jones is a big hit, but I have not heard anything about Milano or Jones being officially ruled as “out for the season”. 

have you?

Yes, and I think downplaying it as if we've learned nothing the past 3 years kind of bothers me.

Every year, almost always around this time, people talk about how "you are what your record says you are," how we should ignore all the issues we see/only focus on X,Y,Z, how losing to whatever team isn't a bad sign, and how all it will take is Allen cleaning something up/less injuries/adjustments to playcalling/blah blah blah.

But by year's end, literally every issue comes home to roost in the playoffs. I'm not saying the sky is falling or that the Bills are doomed, all I'm saying is we pretend we're on the right track, pretend things will only get better, and brush aside the glaring flaws as something that'll just magically go away.

Even if we pulled off the OT win in week 1 or rallied back & beat the Jags, I would still feel the same way despite the record.

People will point to teams like the Chiefs & say how they don't look unbeatable & had rough games too, but the Bills aren't the Chiefs. We haven't earned the benefit of the doubt & multiple Super Bowls. Aside from 2021, our playoff struggles tend to look awfully similar to our regular season struggles. 

We all remember week 17 against the Bengals, but outside of the obvious Damar stuff, the football talk was mostly us Bills fans being in denial vs what Bengals fans (and other fans) saw as the Bills being "saved" from a Bengals butt kicking. All the non-Damar chatter was people saying the Bills were getting torched, cruising to a beatdown, and even complaints the NFL was "scripted" & trying to protect the Bills. That was when all the talk about the Bengals/Burrow being better than the Bills/Allen really started, and we denied every bit of it.

Even though it was still the first quarter, it was very representative of what was in store come playoff time. I remember me & other Bills fans pointing to recent Bengals games where they looked good one half, fell apart the next, talked up Allen just having slow starts, and also said we play better at home. Surely, the Bills would be motivated & ready come playoff time. NOPE!

Despite my rant, I still think things can get better. In fact, I expect another good stretch that will get us all hyped again. But I'm also painfully aware that the recent struggles can't be ignored & could very well be a persistent issue all season. 

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Honestly, after Tre, DQ and Milano were lost, the season is already determined in my book.  Not in the sense that I think the regular season will be a total bust or that it won't be mildly entertaining, but that its just a matter of which round of the playoffs we lose in.  We don't have the horses to compete.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Yes, and I think downplaying it as if we've learned nothing the past 3 years kind of bothers me.

Every year, almost always around this time, people talk about how you are what your record says you are, how we should ignore all the issues we see & only focus on X,Y,Z, how losing to whatever team isn't a bad sign, and how all it will take is Allen cleaning something up/less injuries/adjustments to playcalling/blah blah blah.

But by year's end, literally every issue comes home to roost in the playoffs. I'm not saying the sky is falling or that the Bills are doomed, all I'm saying is we pretend we're on the right track, pretend things will only get better, and brush aside the glaring flaws as something that'll just magically go away.

Even if we pulled off the OT win in week 1 or rallied back & beat the Jags, I would still feel the same way despite the record.

People will point to teams like the Chiefs & say how they don't look unbeatable & had rough games too, but the Bills aren't the Chiefs. We haven't earned the benefit of the doubt & multiple Super Bowls. Aside from 2021, our playoff struggles tend to look awfully similar to our regular season struggles. 

We all remember week 17 against the Bengals, but outside of the obvious Damar stuff, the football talk was mostly us Bills fans being in denial vs what Bengals fans (and other fans) saw as the Bills being "saved" from a Bengals butt kicking. All the non-Damar chatter was people saying the Bills were getting torched, cruising to a beatdown, and even complaints the NFL was "scripted" & trying to protect the Bills. That was when all the talk about the Bengals/Burrow being better than the Bills/Allen really started, and we denied every bit of it.

Even though it was still the first quarter, it was very representative of what was in store come playoff time. I remember me & other Bills fans pointing to recent Bengals games where they looked good one half, fell apart the next, talked up Allen just having a slow start, and also said we play better at home. Surely, the Bills would be motivated & ready come playoff time. NOPE!

Despite my rant, I still think things can get better. In fact, I expect another good stretch that will get us all hyped again. But I'm also painfully aware that the recent struggles can't be ignored & could very well be a persistent issue all season. 

Don't worry, @eball said this last year!

I don't know why folks were questioning the offensive coaching last year!  We were so good! No way we get blown out at home in the playoffs! It's the fans' fault!

• Haha (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Every year, almost always around this time, people talk about how you are what your record says you are, how we should ignore all the issues we see & only focus on X,Y,Z, how losing to whatever team isn't a bad sign, and how all it will take is Allen cleaning something up/less injuries/adjustments to playcalling/blah blah blah.

Even though it was still the first quarter, it was very representative of what was in store come playoff time. I remember me & other Bills fans pointing to recent Bengals games where they looked good one half, fell apart the next, talked up Allen just having a slow start, and also said we play better at home. Surely, the Bills would be motivated & ready come playoff time. NOPE!

Exactly where I'm at

I was 100% on board w saying the metrics were solid and the foundation wasn't shaky these last 2-3 years right up until Bengals game

Now I think it's kind of crazy not to question this squads' direction tbh

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Woof. 

Has anyone went over to the Cheats* message board lately? Curious as to how they are doing over there LOL

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Its not comparing the Pats to the Bills. It was responding to the mindset of we used to suck so just be happy that we are winning at all. 

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes, you have successfully proven that the Bills score too many points

I've proven that when a defense has figured out our offense, Dorsey cannot make timely adjustments, hense the "feast or famine" outcomes.  This really isn't a difficult concept.  I really can't understand why you're struggling to grasp it.

If the "Bills score too many points" they'd be 6-0.  Obviously they didn't.

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

There’s people on this board who are perpetually unhappy. I have to admit I too am concerned with how much Ken Dorsey calls a game but that’s what’s called being a fan. 

Not according to some people here!  I'm being blasted by some for even suggesting Dorsey concerns me.  We're 4-2, fool!  We can't complain or worry about anything!

I'm not unhappy, it's just the injuries to the defensive starters in such a short time.

Yes, it's part of the game, discouraging when it feels like everything has to go pretty perfect for Buffalo to win a ring in football or hockey. 

Sabres with all the D men out against Carolina comes to mind. They had a good chance then.

Life is hard, but it seems so much tougher sometimes in Buffalo as a sports fan or resident. 

1 minute ago, PonyBoy said:

I'm not unhappy, it's just the injuries to the defensive starters in such a short time.

Yes, it's part of the game, discouraging when it feels like everything has to go pretty perfect for Buffalo to win a ring in football or hockey. 

Sabres with all the D men out against Carolina comes to mind. They had a good chance then.

Life is hard, but it seems so much tougher sometimes in Buffalo as a sports fan or resident. 

Things have to go pretty perfect for any team to win a championship 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.