Week 7 Bills @ Patriots - on to Foxborough!

Draconator

46 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Was Ed just ruled out somewhere?  This morning, I thought McDermott said he was hopeful he'd be practicing tomorrow.

Not ruled out, but two straight DNP for a guy coming off playing 87% snaps and dinged up, with a game the following Thursday…

Just doesn’t bode well for having him full strength. Maybe they’re just giving him extended rest? We’ll see. 

Either way, no Ed WOULD hurt big time, if the speculative is more accurate. 

• Agree 4

9 hours ago, julian said:

If the Bills roll the Patriots again, can we all agree to stop coming up with reasons why we should be worried prior to playing them in the future.

I mean, weren’t they both 52 or 53 yarders? That’s probably not much over 50% at best, considering the venue and weather. Getting tails twice in a row isn’t cause for concern. Obviously neither miss helped anyone’s stress level at the time, but neither one looked to me like a full-on shank. Both looked live like okay kicks when a really good kick was needed. 

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Cash said:

I mean, weren’t they both 52 or 53 yarders? That’s probably not much over 50% at best, considering the venue and weather. Getting tails twice in a row isn’t cause for concern. Obviously neither miss helped anyone’s stress level at the time, but neither one looked to me like a full-on shank. Both looked live like okay kicks when a really good kick was needed. 

yes they were 52 and 53 yarders

There are some kickers who are much better in that range

Bass was 3 of 3 at 50+ prior to Sunday nite

2 of 3 at 50+ last year

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

yes they were 52 and 53 yarders

There are some kickers who are much better in that range

Bass was 3 of 3 at 50+ prior to Sunday nite

2 of 3 at 50+ last year

I think bass looks amazing inside 45-50... Usually right down the pipe

He's dialed in on extra points from the left hash

The right hash is definitely his weakest link with how he likes to shape the ball.. but I'm not even sure if the two misses were from the right hash

They were his m.o  Miss.... He usually pushes it wide right from 50 plus when he misses

8 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

My question would be how many coaches have went against Billichick more than 10 times? 

Sure, but that seems to be the standard bearer for career charting against another coach.

Truthfully, I don’t even know if there is anyone that has played him five times even has a winning record against him.  

Could still state he is one of the future coaches with a winning record against him, counting out those that have played him nay a couple of times.

25 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Sure, but that seems to be the standard bearer for career charting against another coach.

Truthfully, I don’t even know if there is anyone that has played him five times even has a winning record against him.  

Could still state he is one of the future coaches with a winning record against him, counting out those that have played him nay a couple of times.

Coughlin was 5-2 against him including two SB victories which all took place during Brady's prime.  I just remember those teams not trying to outsmart the Patriots (very simple game plans on both sides of the ball) and just winning in the trenches.  Vrabel and McDaniels are a combined 5-1 against him using similar philosophies.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Beck Water said:

You did, and it was a valiant try.

But for some of us who have BBFS from living through 15 straight losses from 2003 to 2010, then a lone win followed by 6 more straight losses, and topped off with 6 straight losses to start McDermott's career here, we do not forget.

Stomp on them.  Salt their fields.  Steal their cattle and....well never mind that part's not PC....

Never forget.  Never relax.  Never take winning for granted.

you forgot to take their women.  Im moved in with Massachusetts former Pats fan, who I converted into a Bills fan.  She wears Bills gear now, and her friends give her a hard time.  Thats my girl

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Pete said:

you forgot to take their women.  Im moved in with Massachusetts former Pats fan, who I converted into a Bills fan.  She wears Bills gear now, and her friends give her a hard time.  Thats my girl

She is a pink hat, she will move onto the new team when the Bills aren’t good anymore.. lol 

13 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Not ruled out, but two straight DNP for a guy coming off playing 87% snaps and dinged up, with a game the following Thursday…

Just doesn’t bode well for having him full strength. Maybe they’re just giving him extended rest? We’ll see. 

Either way, no Ed WOULD hurt big time, if the speculative is more accurate. 

If we cant beat the Pats, even without Ed, then were in trouble. They went 10 straight quarters without a TD.

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Coughlin was 5-2 against him including two SB victories which all took place during Brady's prime.  I just remember those teams not trying to outsmart the Patriots (very simple game plans on both sides of the ball) and just winning in the trenches.  Vrabel and McDaniels are a combined 5-1 against him using similar philosophies.

Thank you, Doc.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Cash said:

Bass was 11-16 at 50+ over his career before the game. Much better odds than 50/50. Weather plays a role for sure but it was very uncharacteristic to miss both.

5 hours ago, Pete said:

"well never mind that part's not PC...."

Good for Her!

One year my daughter drew a Patriots fan in the Christmas gift exchange, and she wanted to order him a Patriots hat.  Needless to say, this involved my credit card since it was an online purchase and somewhat last minute.  But I made her wrap it out on the porch and drop it into a containment bag before placing it in the trunk.

Apparently the recipient enjoyed it so there's that, but we live in St Louis so neither Bills gear nor Pats gear make any kind of a statement.

1 hour ago, jletha said:

If we cant beat the Pats, even without Ed, then were in trouble. They went 10 straight quarters without a TD.

kind of like the Giants… lol

Just now, buffaloboyinATL said:

I mean yeah, I hope he plays too, but if he doesn't, we will win by 10 points, instead of 20+.  

I don’t think not having Oliver is gonna move the needle THAT much in favor of the Pats.

3 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

kind of like the Giants… lol

I don’t think not having Oliver is gonna move the needle THAT much in favor of the Pats.

Yeah, me neither, but my point is that we are way better than the Patriots this season, and I don't think Ed O being out would tip the scales in their favor.

As far as the Giants go, for the most part, we run Daboll's Offense. He knows it better than Dorsey does, and the Giants have a good Defense.  This game was Daboll's Super Bowl, and his team played WAY above their normal level for him.  I don't believe the Patriots will be nearly as prepared, and their players will not over-achieve for this coaching staff. 

Just now, SWATeam said:

How many more key defenders can we lose?  No Tre, Milano, Jones, a shell of Von, and now Oliver.  I don't like how this is shaping up.

Drama Queen much?

Thankfully we're playing against Macaroni Jones.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Not the worst injury report we've seen.

Agree, not the worst.  But missing 4 starters on defense, Inc both Dts is never good.  But there could be worse opponents than NE.

Will be interesting hoe we handle P/S callups and other roster moves this weekend.

1 DT and 1 RB: likely using our 2 callups from P/S will be Vickers and Johnson

But, with Elam and Lewis not at 100%, we might want Ingram ready (which would be his final call up anyhow).  I think it's very possible Klein is cut and Ingram takes his spot on the 53

• Agree 1

Nice article in the Athletic this morning. Pretty spot on IMO. A few tidbits that resonated with me.

1. Buffalo’s offense needs to stop doing its impersonation of Navin Johnson trying to dance on the front porch.

2. While the Bills’ defense stood tall in clutch situations, denying the Giants any points on two visits to the 1-yard line, I need to see them do more against better opposition. Saquon Barkley is a fabulous tailback, but the Giants had a backup quarterback playing behind a slapdash offensive line. 

3. It feels like Von Miller won’t be officially back until he gets a sack. Is this the week he gets one on the board? Miller is among the most decorated edge rushers of all-time, but I’m sure he’s about as eager as he’s ever been to get on the stat sheet. He has just one pressure so far, and Tyrod Taylor escaped to scramble 6 yards on that third-and-4 play, 

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Nice article in the Athletic this morning. Pretty spot on IMO. A few tidbits that resonated with me.

1. Buffalo’s offense needs to stop doing its impersonation of Navin Johnson trying to dance on the front porch.

If I ever need to laugh, all I have to do is think of the first few minutes of The Jerk.

"I was born a poor black child..."

the-jerk.gif

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

How many more key defenders can we lose?  No Tre, Milano, Jones, a shell of Von, and now Oliver.  I don't like how this is shaping up.

Why would you expect Von to look the same after he hasn't played for a year and is coming off an injury that typically takes guys at least 6-7 weeks of playing to start looking better?  Your own completely unrealistic expectations is causing the issue there not Von.  

They can lose a lot because McD's scheme is designed to limit the impact of those losses. See last year as exhibit A.

6 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Those are great players. "Drama queen much" seriously? Those players would matter a ton when playing better teams. Yeah thankfully we are playing the Pats. 

Far less than most people think actually. And that is almost always the case when the games are actually played.

9 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Well we nearly just go knocked off by Tyrod.  Hopefully our healthy offense shows up this week.

Yes...those 9 points they scored were impressive.

Edited by Big Turk

With the DTs out and a poor NE passing attack this may be the game we see 3 LBs, though Taron Johnson is #2 in tackles. 

Running plays between the tackles hasn't been the problem for Bills' D this year it's when they get outside. Stevenson and Elliott are more inside the tackle runners. 

25 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

NE is going to pound the ball all game up the middle against us.  Lets see if we can stop it.

That’s what I would think. And then when Poyer and Hyde move up… the quick screens are open.  

I wouldn’t think the Pats stand a chance, but the middle of the D is decimated with both starting DTs and one of the better LBs in the league out. That is far less than an ideal situation. 

It would really be nice if the offense showed up this week and scored early and often.  

12 minutes ago, Dan said:

That’s what I would think. And then when Poyer and Hyde move up… the quick screens are open.  

I wouldn’t think the Pats stand a chance, but the middle of the D is decimated with both starting DTs and one of the better LBs in the league out. That is far less than an ideal situation. 

It would really be nice if the offense showed up this week and scored early and often.  

17 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

With the DTs out and a poor NE passing attack this may be the game we see 3 LBs, though Taron Johnson is #2 in tackles. 

Running plays between the tackles hasn't been the problem for Bills' D this year it's when they get outside. Stevenson and Elliott are more inside the tackle runners. 

I'd not be afraid to use Rapp instead of Johnson, Poyer and/or Hyde. keep the mileage off of them. Rapp is a good tackler, bigger safety. 

Zeke can hit hard.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, jletha said:

Bass was 11-16 at 50+ over his career before the game. Much better odds than 50/50. Weather plays a role for sure but it was very uncharacteristic to miss both.

Bass has had his share of lucky doinks off the goal posts that have gone through too.

Maybe the karma bank finally came up dry last week.

• Like (+1) 1

So not having Ed on the field is never a good thing, but I’m not as concerned against NE as Ed is more of a penetrating DT and the NYG took advantage of him in their run game.

I, and everyone I’d guess, expect NE to try and run the ball and control some clock since Mac SUCKS and the NE passing game is the worst in the league right now.

They are running much more power/wham/trap than the zone scheme they’ve tried in the past (kinda like us) and Stevenson/Elliot are powerful between the tackles runners.

IDK if it hurts us that much to have a couple fat bodies who maybe don’t penetrate as much but can tie up O-lineman to keep our LBs free to shoot gaps.

Time for our other DT’s to make a little noise with their opportunity.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.