Diggs 16 targets?!

BillMafia716ix

Anybody have an issue with the amount of targets Diggs gets? I love Diggs. I love his passion. Dude is straight up baller but sometimes I feel Josh goes too him way to much that it compromises the offense and limits what other guys can bring to the table. 

We signed Sherfield, Harty and drafted guys like Shakir and Kincaid. And i don’t think those guys have been given many opportunities to make plays. Could it be a scheme issue? Possibly. but i really would like to see Josh spread the ball around and see what these others guys can bring to the table. Because right now…Diggs is only guy Josh has any confidence in. 

• Agree 11
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Anybody have an issue with the amount of targets Diggs gets? I love Diggs. I love his passion. Dude is straight up baller but sometimes I feel Josh goes too him way to much that it compromises the offense and limits what other guys can bring to the table. 

We signed Sherfield, Harty and drafted guys like Shakir and Kincaid. And i don’t think those guys have been given many opportunities to make plays. Could it be a scheme issue? Possibly. but i really would like to see Josh spread the ball around and see what these others guys can bring to the table. Because right now…Diggs is only guy Josh has any confidence in. 

Sherfield and Harty are nobodies. Kincaid is a rookie. Shakir is a second year rookie nobody.

Diggs is the only receiver Allen trusts, and how can you blame him?

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Totally agree. Only way I’d be ok with this is if we were throwing to Diggs like 15-20 yards downfield when he’s clearly open. But just forcing 2 yard outs to him constantly are worthless. It’s volume for volumes sake. 

it’s also on josh to spread the ball around. Not sure how Diggs was gettin double teamed a lot and no one else was coming open. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Well, Davis fumbled early and dropped another one later that was somehow ruled a catch.

Knox has been dropping 3rd down passes every week 

Harty scored the TD and has made a few critical plays in recent weeks

Sherfield is virtually ignored

Shakir had a drop on one of the best throws of the season 

Kincaid is inexplicably used for only 3-5 yard patterns .....or only targeted on those 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, BillMafia716ix said:

It’s been an issue ever since Beasley left.  Josh needs a security blanket because Diggs is all he has confidence in.  Knox and Gabe are 50/50 to drop it, Shakir and Kincaid seem to have potential to fill that role but for some reason haven’t. 

3 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

At half time Allen had 18 attempts and Diggs 12 targets. That's on Allen.

And hell no that isn't a good thing

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Mynamemike said:

It’s been an issue ever since Beasley left.  Josh needs a security blanket because Diggs is all he has confidence in.  Knox and Gabe are 50/50 to drop it, Shakir and Kincaid seem to have potential to fill that role but for some reason haven’t. 

I'd like to see Isabella get a shot, I mean why not.  Assuming we don't make a trade

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

Totally agree. Only way I’d be ok with this is if we were throwing to Diggs like 15-20 yards downfield when he’s clearly open. But just forcing 2 yard outs to him constantly are worthless. It’s volume for volumes sake. 

it’s also on josh to spread the ball around. Not sure how Diggs was gettin double teamed a lot and no one else was coming open. 

Maybe it’s Josh’s way to keep Diggs ego in check and that’s what I’m afraid of. If Diggs ain’t getting the ball. How would he take it 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think this boils down to Josh only truly having confidence in one guy to bring the ball in when it hits his hands, and that's Diggs. I think he also trusts Cook, but he wasn't really checking the ball down as much last night. There was a play where he scrambled to his left that Cook was wide open initially, then he flowed to the left through the zone and could have had a huge play. Allen didn't even look his way. It's hard to say what we need to do, but they need to figure something out. Scheme wise, play calling wise, tempo wise, formation wise, whatever it may be. Other guys also have to step up. Josh and Diggs can't do it all. 

• Like (+1) 1

I watched in a bar, which I HATE doing. But I am very curious to rewatch the network and A-22. There were some drops, but I cannot imagine the game plan was designed to throw 16/30 balls to Diggs. And that on over half of the pass plays there was nobody else.

My knee jerk is that Allen/Diggs came into this one planning on putting up Madden numbers. 

9 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Sherfield and Harty are nobodies. Kincaid is a rookie. Shakir is a second year rookie nobody.

Diggs is the only receiver Allen trusts, and how can you blame him?

This. Thank you. 

goes back to this off-season and people thinking Harty and Sherfield were going to do anything. They both suck. Could have saved that money and put it towards a reasonable WR in FA. 

• Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'd like to see Isabella get a shot, I mean why not.  Assuming we don't make a trade

He can’t be any worse than the useless Harty or Sherfield. At least Sherfield is a decent blocker, which is also a problem because when he’s on the field it completely tips the defense to the fact it’s a run. Harty is useless. Anyone could have made the play he made last night for the TD. Which is the only decent play hes had all year long. Biggest waste of $5m+ 

Just now, mrags said:

He can’t be any worse than the useless Harty or Sherfield. At least Sherfield is a decent blocker, which is also a problem because when he’s on the field it completely tips the defense to the fact it’s a run. Harty is useless. Anyone could have made the play he made last night for the TD. Which is the only decent play hes had all year long. Biggest waste of $5m+ 

Not true. He had a first down along the sidelines on 3rd down against Miami that was a massive play at the time. A great move in tight space.

He's also had a few quality receptions here and there.  He isn't given many opportunities.  I will say I expected him to look faster. But, he is quick in tight areas 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

This. Thank you. 

goes back to this off-season and people thinking Harty and Sherfield were going to do anything. They both suck. Could have saved that money and put it towards a reasonable WR in FA. 

We replaced McKenzie as our gadget guy with Harty, a guy who had proven less at the NFL level, and paid him more.

• Thank you (+1) 1

It’s obvious diggs is the only one Josh trusts. They will need to get another wr in the off season. I would say trade for one but we all witnessed how they treat players they trade for last season with Hines.

And Davis will not be getting a big payday!

• Like (+1) 1

Allen in his postgame said (Paraphrasing) "Just throwing to the open guy. When we're running concepts where Diggs is the first read, and he's getting open, I throw him the ball."

I do think the offense is better when Josh is able to spread the ball around. That obviously means everyone is getting open.

After watching the other WRs play last night, I dont blame Josh for going to Diggs so much.

He did spread it around a little later in the game. Likely when the Giants started keying on Diggs.

I still think that taking Josh's running game away has tipped the numbers game back into the Defense's favor and they have a much easier time of covering and defending us now. We need to run at least a COUPLE of designed QB runs and let Josh run when he scrambles. It's the biggest missing piece of this offense right now.

• Like (+1) 1

Some DC [Belichick?] is going to sell out [double with help] covering Diggs, and force Josh to go to his later reads, will remain to be seen if the other receivers can step up, and whether Josh is patient.  Diggs isn't a size mismatch like Kelce, he's got to be open.

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

I watched in a bar, which I HATE doing. But I am very curious to rewatch the network and A-22. There were some drops, but I cannot imagine the game plan was designed to throw 16/30 balls to Diggs. And that on over half of the pass plays there was nobody else.

My knee jerk is that Allen/Diggs came into this one planning on putting up Madden numbers. 

Ha me too!!! Stupid Giants fans drug me out and i couldn't stand the drunken commentary, so much prefer my own space maybe i'm just a grumpy old man now lol

• Like (+1) 2

I think many here have the view that Harty  Sherfield and Shakir are not being properly used by Dorsey.. or maybe it's Josh not giving them an opportunity. 

I am beginning to buy in to that maybe they are just not any good. 

Right now I’ve seen nothing dynamic from any of them. I thought we would find ways to utilize Harty’s Speed. He was going to be a much needed

deep threat that we seem to lack.

Do any of these guys keep opposing coaches up at night?

I think Beane was hoping these signings would  be sneaky good signings..but I don’t know. 

I was at the Vikings game last season and watched over and over Cousins continuoisly target Jefferson. Everyone knew it was coming yet we couldn’t stop him. 

The Gabe fumble destroyed the entire first half.  It gave NY the life they needed and the Bills chased the game from then on and didn't stick with the run until late 3rd Qtr.

So to that end, I can see why he trusted Diggs and targeted him so much.  Knox wasn't getting open, I have no idea what Shakir and Sherfield were doing but Josh didn't look their way.  Cook seemed open on a few dumpoff screens but Allen wanted to go downfield instead.  Weird game.

• Like (+1) 1

There have been games where it seems he was forcing it to Diggs, last night didn't seem to be one of those games.  Diggs was open.  If he is open then I would expect Josh to throw it to him.  Also, despite the idea that he only throws to Diggs, Diggs didn't have either of the TDs.  

Perhaps he had 16 targets because he was cooking whoever was covering him?  Like Kohou's little brother or something.  The all-22 will tell the tale. 

39 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

The only way this offense is going to function is with spreading the wealth.  I don't care how it effects Stef's ego.  Right now I'm just as terrified with Dorsey's playcalling. Why were we forcing throws over the middle when you could clearly see NYG dropping their LB's.  This caused the INT.  KD just isn't identifying this fast enough. 

Josh is his own worst enemy, he just can’t wrap his mind around spreading the ball around, moving the chains, to keep the opposing offense off the field, wearing down the opposing defense, etc etc etc, and Dorsey’s situational play calling leaves a lot to be desired as well.

GO BILLS!!!

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, FireChans said:

We replaced McKenzie as our gadget guy with Harty, a guy who had proven less at the NFL level, and paid him more.

Yup. Something I’ve been saying since we made the move and people called me crazy and thought Harty would somehow turn into something he’s never been. Better 

So I want my offense going through my Alpha WR. That’s what they are doing. 

others want more targets GET THE ***** OPEN, HOLD ONTO THE BALL when your number is called. 

I wonder at the end of the day how many times others are the Primary Read and it still goes to Diggs. (Will never know that without being in the design meetings week to week). 

35 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Not true. He had a first down along the sidelines on 3rd down against Miami that was a massive play at the time. A great move in tight space.

He's also had a few quality receptions here and there.  He isn't given many opportunities.  I will say I expected him to look faster. But, he is quick in tight areas 

He’s terrible. He is what he is. A 40 catch got at best for 400 yards at best. At more than double what we were paying McKenzie for less 

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Watch this coming Sunday.  Belicheat is going to take Diggs away; he does this every game, takes away the opponent's strength.  will Dorsey adjust?  Will Josh?  I hope so but I have my doubts.

I mean, yes, but since Diggs got to Buffalo the Bills are 6-1 against New England (including the playoffs). 

He’s caught 43 of 63 targets for 629 yards and 6 TDs. Roughly 6 catches for 90 yards and a TD per game? 

55 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Maybe it’s Josh’s way to keep Diggs ego in check and that’s what I’m afraid of. If Diggs ain’t getting the ball. How would he take it 

Diggs ego  definitely needs to kept in check - he was trying to get crowd ramped up after bad call by Zebras but Bills were still on offense. 

There was enough noise from opposition fans in this game.

Absolutely not, too one dimensional, predictable, & easy to defend. Sure he needs touches but the ball needs to move around a bit to keep the D honest.

We have a Ferrari at QB and we surrounded him with Yugo’s.

Roster management is lacking.  Can we dump old man Von, Knox & reallocate money to a wr2?

Edited by PayDaBill$

48 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

It’s obvious diggs is the only one Josh trusts. They will need to get another wr in the off season. I would say trade for one but we all witnessed how they treat players they trade for last season with Hines.

And Davis will not be getting a big payday!

Hines was traded for midseason; it takes time to get in sync with Josh (never other way around).

49 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Some DC [Belichick?] is going to sell out [double with help] covering Diggs, and force Josh to go to his later reads, will remain to be seen if the other receivers can step up, and whether Josh is patient.  Diggs isn't a size mismatch like Kelce, he's got to be open.

Absolutely.  Bele-CHEAT always tries to take away the best weapon.

Dorsey needs to plan for this and adjust plan including more hitting of DBs on line like in Mijami game.

Its like Josh said in his post game, Diggs is the 1st read in most progressions, if he is open, which he is most of the time, he is going to throw it.

The Bills have a serious offensive weapon problem.  Until someone steps up and shows they can hold onto the damn ball then Diggs is going to get the targets.

I really don't want to be that guy but when I watch the Eagles, 49ers, and Dolphins I can't believe the amount of talent they have on offense compared to the Bills.

Edited by thenorthremembers

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.