Diggs 16 targets?!

BillMafia716ix

This is no different than the way Stafford targets Kupp or Rodgers targeted Adams in Green Bay. I don't think the problems with the offense are related to feeding Diggs.

Now, do I have both Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs in a half-PPR dynasty fantasy football league? That's actually none of your business, why would you ask that question.

Edited by Punch

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

I mean, yes, but since Diggs got to Buffalo the Bills are 6-1 against New England (including the playoffs). 

He’s caught 43 of 63 targets for 629 yards and 6 TDs. Roughly 6 catches for 90 yards and a TD per game? 

I hope this continues.  

36 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Named?  

Odell Beckham 

Deandre Hopkins

Jacobi Myers

Adam Theilen

DJ Chark

JuJu Smith Schuster

Allen Lazard

Plenty of guys out there. Instead we got a guy that hasn’t accomplished as much as Isaiah McKenzie who we all thought was garbage. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Wouldn’t have a problem with the 1 yard outs to Diggs if he wasn’t well covered, but what’s a gain of 1 going to do when you had actual time in the pocket, meaning no defender broke through, and the other routes aren’t allowed to develop? Everyone’s asking what’s wrong with the offense and to me it looks clear. Dorsey lacks ingenuity and Allen is too centered on Diggs to truly carve up a defense.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Hines was traded for midseason; it takes time to get in sync with Josh (never other way around).

Absolutely.  Bele-CHEAT always tries to take away the best weapon.

Dorsey needs to plan for this and adjust plan including more hitting of DBs on line like in Mijami game.

We know this. That’s why my point was a trade won’t work.

2 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

Totally agree. Only way I’d be ok with this is if we were throwing to Diggs like 15-20 yards downfield when he’s clearly open. But just forcing 2 yard outs to him constantly are worthless. It’s volume for volumes sake. 

it’s also on josh to spread the ball around. Not sure how Diggs was gettin double teamed a lot and no one else was coming open. 

Your the first post I've seen mention that.  I was wondering whether anyone was going to notice much less mention it.  

Again, this is attributable to coaching.

You take Diggs, then have him run routes that most of your other WRs are fully capable of running, and with better results of Diggs took some defenders downfield first.  

Another mind-boggling thing related to Dorsey.  

Edited by PBF81

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Its like Josh said in his post game, Diggs is the 1st read in most progressions, if he is open, which he is most of the time, he is going to throw it.

The Bills have a serious offensive weapon problem.  Until someone steps up and shows they can hold onto the damn ball then Diggs is going to get the targets.

I really don't want to be that guy but when I watch the Eagles, 49ers, and Dolphins I can't believe the amount of talent they have on offense compared to the Bills.

Teams know he is the first read. Dorsey should use his imagination and design a play that someone else is the first read. Shock the world!

2 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Diggs deserves it, he’s the only reliable pass catcher on the team.

AND he’s not an excuse maker. 

I wish we had a team full of Diggs’ 

And House Ballards, and Thurman Thomases, and Bruce Smith's, etc. 

Maybe then we could win a championship.  

😉

😏

2 hours ago, mrags said:

This. Thank you. 

goes back to this off-season and people thinking Harty and Sherfield were going to do anything. They both suck. Could have saved that money and put it towards a reasonable WR in FA. 

Davis gets paid less than both.  LOL 

Sherfield's never done anything, not sure why anyone expected him to here.  

At the beginning of the third quarter (first TD drive), Tirico mentioned that Diggs had been targeted six times. Not sure if he was right as it felt more than that but, if so, it means he was targetted ten times in three series in the second half. Is that really that bad?

1 hour ago, mrags said:

Odell Beckham 

Deandre Hopkins

Jacobi Myers

Adam Theilen

DJ Chark

JuJu Smith Schuster

Allen Lazard

Plenty of guys out there. Instead we got a guy that hasn’t accomplished as much as Isaiah McKenzie who we all thought was garbage. 

How are the first two $14M guys doing for Pete’s sake?  

Your bottom four are no better than Davis at all.

The one in the middle whose name you can’t spell is really the only case to be remotely made.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Punch said:

This is no different than the way Stafford targets Kupp or Rodgers targeted Adams in Green Bay. I don't think the problems with the offense are related to feeding Diggs.

Now, do I have both Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs in a half-PPR dynasty fantasy football league? That's actually none of your business, why would you ask that question.

Rodgers and Stanford have struggled to win championships with this style of decision making.

Some of the blame is on pass catcher and coaches. Absolutely. 

Between these two really talented QB’s who have nearly 40 years of NFL football and only 2 SB’s.

We need better pass catchers. We also need better coaching. But only throwing the ball to one guy doesn’t set your team up for success either. 

11 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

At the beginning of the third quarter (first TD drive), Tirico mentioned that Diggs had been targeted six times. Not sure if he was right as it felt more than that but, if so, it means he was targetted ten times in three series in the second half. Is that really that bad?

That might have been catches?

I believe Diggs was targeted 12 or 13 times in the first half. And only had 3-4 targets the second half. He ended the day 10/16.

9 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

The one in the middle whose name you can’t spell is really the only case to be remotely made.

Lol

Thielen not better than Davis just means you don't watch NFL outside Bills games

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

Rodgers and Stanford have struggled to win championships with this style of decision making.

Some of the blame is on pass catcher and coaches. Absolutely. 

Between these two really talented QB’s who have nearly 40 years of NFL football and only 2 SB’s.

We need better pass catchers. We also need better coaching. But only throwing the ball to one guy doesn’t set your team up for success either. 

That might have been catches?

I believe Diggs was targeted 12 or 13 times in the first half. And only had 3-4 targets the second half. He ended the day 10/16.

Pretty sure Tirico said 'targeted' but catches makes more sense.

3 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Kincaid didn’t play and has been getting 4-5 targets per game. Diggs basically just took those.

Not sure why Knox couldn’t take those though…

Perhaps Josh wanted to throw to guys who would catch the ball. 

4 hours ago, BearNorth said:

Some DC [Belichick?] is going to sell out [double with help] covering Diggs, and force Josh to go to his later reads, will remain to be seen if the other receivers can step up, and whether Josh is patient.  Diggs isn't a size mismatch like Kelce, he's got to be open.

McKenzie killed BB’s defense in his 2021 replacing Cole. It can be done. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

You are missing the point. Every single one of them is better than the useless Deonte Harty and Trent “I am here for blocking” Sherfield. 

19 minutes ago, mrags said:

You are missing the point. Every single one of them is better than the useless Deonte Harty and Trent “I am here for blocking” Sherfield. 

You are moving the goalposts.  Your original comparison was to Davis.  Now you want to spend $14M on a guy who smears feces in hotel rooms to replace our 3/4?

5 hours ago, mrags said:

This. Thank you. 

goes back to this off-season and people thinking Harty and Sherfield were going to do anything. They both suck. Could have saved that money and put it towards a reasonable WR in FA. 

Sherfield was wide open many times last night, Josh didn't go to him, didn't look his way.  All he can do is get open, many times early in his route, he can't make Josh throw him the football.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Watch this coming Sunday.  Belicheat is going to take Diggs away; he does this every game, takes away the opponent's strength.  will Dorsey adjust?  Will Josh?  I hope so but I have my doubts.

Diggs has has some big games against the Patriots .. so old fella can try and take Diggs away

Obviously Diggs should get a lot of targets nobody is disputing that, but it was getting almost ridiculous last night. Either you have a terrible talent deficiency in the other skill players, which I honestly don't believe the players that have come up here have played better before and the ones brought in form elsewhere have performed better in other places, or you are incapable of drawing up plays that get other players open.

The Bills have to spread the ball around. DC's will double and maybe even double with shaded zone Diggs and dare the Bills to beat them via the run or to other targets. I honestly would like to see them get Shakir involved more in the offense. Every time I see Shakir he always makes a solid catch. The only time I saw him make misses was on the 2pt conversion which was more Josh's fault and the attempted shoulder catch which was still a good attempt at a difficult catch. Every game it seems he always makes one good catch that comes up with critical yards. My hope is that the Bills have a semblance of a ground game this season and some better supplemental targets to go to. Although a trade for another weapon in the receiving game would help. 

There's no inherent virtue to spreading the ball around to WRs in your passing game.  I'm way more encouraged by the improved rushing attack than I am dismayed by the lack of a WR2.  The Rams recently won a SB in which everyone knew Cooper Kupp would be targeted 10-15 times, but it didn't matter because the top players in this league just get the job done.

9 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Anybody have an issue with the amount of targets Diggs gets? I love Diggs. I love his passion. Dude is straight up baller but sometimes I feel Josh goes too him way to much that it compromises the offense and limits what other guys can bring to the table. 

We signed Sherfield, Harty and drafted guys like Shakir and Kincaid. And i don’t think those guys have been given many opportunities to make plays. Could it be a scheme issue? Possibly. but i really would like to see Josh spread the ball around and see what these others guys can bring to the table. Because right now…Diggs is only guy Josh has any confidence in. 

I have more of an issue with 0 targets for the RB's and the over use of 12 Personnel when we are not throwing to the TE's.   

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

You are moving the goalposts.  Your original comparison was to Davis.  Now you want to spend $14M on a guy who smears feces in hotel rooms to replace our 3/4?

“goes back to this off-season and people thinking Harty and Sherfield were going to do anything. They both suck. Could have saved that money and put it towards a reasonable WR in FA.”

my original quote on page 1. Not sure who you are talking about. But I would gladly take any one of those people on the list that I gave instead of Harty. Or Sherfield. Or both together. 

keep chomping away at those colors. 

Just now, HappyDays said:

Because everyone else was getting single teamed and that's all it takes to stop them.

Let's play a game.

What current Bills WR's do folks think will be on the roster in two years?

What Bills WR's does our QB trust?

Why is this answer the same?

As I have said in two other threads already... Josh said in a pc that Diggs is the first read in a lot of their passing concepts.  If he sees Diggs open or he thinks Diggs will get open then that is where the ball is going. That is the design of the Dorsey offense.  

Also...

So you don't have to click the tweet...

After 6 weeks

5-1 record. 4-2 Record

#Diggs 22' Diggs 23'

65 targets 66 Rec

49 recs 49 Rec

6tds 5tds

#Davis 22'. Davis 23'

26 targets 30 Targets

14 Rec 21 rec

4tds 4tds

#Knox 22' Knox 23'

20 Targets 25 Targets

15 rec 14 Rec

1TD 1TD

#Mckenzie 22' #Kincaid 23'

26 targets 19 Targets

17 Rec 17 Rec

3tds 0 TDs

Edited by Scott7975

I don't really understand the great mystery here. Diggs is the only consistently dependable pass catcher we have. Everybody knows that, right? He's the only one that regularly separates and catches the ball. Am I breaking news here? Historically when our offense starts to struggle, funneling the ball to Diggs has set off a spark.

It's crazy how many posts I see now to the effect of "I thought Davis could be our full time #2 but it turns out he's not good enough." I mean, why?? What ever made you think that about him? We were having debates during training camp about if he is worth a big extension! It was laughable then and it's more laughable in retrospect. He has literally been the same exact player for four seasons, with one all-time great game smack dab in the middle that I guess led a lot of people astray.

All offseason people tried to tell me "We don't need a #2! Davis/Shakir/Harty/Sherfield will be the #2 by committee!" It just doesn't work that way. The biggest problem with the offense by far in the past two games has been the lack of a true #2 pass catching target. The same as it was last year.

And we have people complaining that Diggs gets too many targets. Wake up.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

but i really would like to see Josh spread the ball around and see what these others guys can bring to the table.

Do you realize how crazy this sounds? You're basically saying Josh should throw the ball to other receivers just for the sake of doing it. The design of every play is meant to maximize the likelihood of a successful outcome. More often than not, throwing the ball in Diggs' general direction - especially in man coverage - is going to give us the highest likelihood of a positive play. Why would we want to divert any of his targets to a vet minimum cast off like Sherfield? Or a roster bubble player like Shakir? Just to feel better about the target share at the end of the game?

I get why people are frustrated. It's become clear that the players around Diggs are not close to good enough. But the solution is not "throw the ball to those inferior players more." The solution is "get better players." Until that solution becomes reality, you have to funnel the ball to the best pass catcher on the team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Do you realize how crazy this sounds? You're basically saying Josh should throw the ball to other receivers just for the sake of doing it. The design of every play is meant to maximize the likelihood of a successful outcome. More often than not, throwing the ball in Diggs' general direction - especially in man coverage - is going to give us the highest likelihood of a positive play. Why would we want to divert any of his targets to a vet minimum cast off like Sherfield? Or a roster bubble player like Shakir? Just to feel better about the target share at the end of the game?

I get why people are frustrated. It's become clear that the players around Diggs are not close to good enough. But the solution is not "throw the ball to those inferior players more." The solution is "get better players." Until that solution becomes reality, you have to funnel the ball to the best pass catcher on the team.

It was clear 2 years ago. Nothing is going to change until they get more talent and fire Dorsey.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.