Don't forget Dawson Knox

Whkfc

1 hour ago, Best Williams Available said:

Beane can do us a solid and trade homie for a WR soon once Kincaid is back

But who's gonna trade for him with that contract?

26 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Quinton Spain, Daryl Williams

Knox is definitely up there

Unforgivable to drop that game winning catch. I don't care if the throw was low if you get 2 hands on it like that it need to be a catch. 

Let's not forget Charles Clay.  Better yet, let's.

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Quinton Spain, Daryl Williams

Knox is definitely up there

Unforgivable to drop that game winning catch. I don't care if the throw was low if you get 2 hands on it like that it need to be a catch. 

Correct.  I don't want to hear a thing about that throw.  An NFL player is expected to make that catch, no excuses.  I'll go out on a limb and say most of us when we were in our 20's make that catch in the backyard Thanksgiving game 9/10 times.  He's proven to not be reliable in pressure spots.   

7 hours ago, Whkfc said:

He has had 1 decent season. I've never seen a player drop so many balls that hit him in the hands in my life. I wanted to love the guy I really did but he's awful the sooner Kincaid if fully up to speed in this offense the better. And I think we are gonna waste the genius that is Josh Allen and Stef Diggs

Morse the issue that the OC doesn’t use TEs despite drafting a 2nd one in the first round and not using either of them.  

8 hours ago, Whkfc said:

He has had 1 decent season. I've never seen a player drop so many balls that hit him in the hands in my life. I wanted to love the guy I really did but he's awful the sooner Kincaid if fully up to speed in this offense the better. And I think we are gonna waste the genius that is Josh Allen and Stef Diggs

Another dumb move giving Knox an extension that big and then investing a first rounder in another TE. Add the fact that first rounder cost us draft capital to move up and then we surround Allen with average talent WR'S outside of Diggs.  Sorry but we need to stop talking about Gabe Davis as some great #2 receiver,  this offence has not looked the same in 2 seasons. Gabe Davis is not a #2 receiver and Beanne needs to make a deal now or the struggles will continue.

Homey gets paid to block and catch the ball. He's only doing one of the two right now. His contract should have de-escalators for drops. If he would have caught the ball then there wouldn't have been any flags or non-flags to talk about. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Best Williams Available said:

I’m sorry my anger is being directed toward him, but game in the line game winning catch and you drop it? Yes not perfect but it didn’t skip off the turf. Cut his ass and play Kincaid and 85.

This is a great plan.

It will only cost $26M in dead cap to cut him right now AND we get to play 85 more often.

I'm glad we're all thinking clearly after the win last night.

9 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

By far Brandon Beanes worst contact 

Except Von Miller's. I don't blame Beane or Miller; pure hindsight, so it's not about Beane's judgment or Miller's play. But the fact is Miller got a gigantic contract for eight games of high-level production. It's not at all clear he'll be back to form this year, and he'll be 35 next year. Imagine spending that money on, say, Davante Adams. 

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

This is a great plan.

It will only cost $26M in dead cap to cut him right now AND we get to play 85 more often.

I'm glad we're all thinking clearly after the win last night.

Hey this AM I feel better. Still a catastrophic drop to me though. All finances aside.

Just now, Best Williams Available said:

Hey this AM I feel better. Still a catastrophic drop to me though. All finances aside.

You can also stop playing 12 personnel so much and not play Morris. Run out of 12 and pass out of 11, which they’re great at.

His contract makes it so we have a significant dead cap hit regardless of when we cut him.

Shout out to the boys in accounting for that. And also to whoever thought paying him that much to be an afterthought in our passing game. 

Can’t forget we ended up drafting a pass catching TE in the 1st round a year later who we don’t really have a plan for either. 

The guys at OBD really outdid themselves with this one.

44 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

His contract makes it so we have a significant dead cap hit regardless of when we cut him.

Shout out to the boys in accounting for that. And also to whoever thought paying him that much to be an afterthought in our passing game. 

Can’t forget we ended up drafting a pass catching TE in the 1st round a year later who we don’t really have a plan for either. 

I remember looking at his contract after they drafted Kincaid, and I’m pretty sure they save money by cutting him after next season.  Yeah, they’ll have dead cap, but they’ll save a good chunk of change by moving on and they’ll open up cap space by doing so.

He should have caught the ball yesterday, but Allen also didn’t throw a great ball, said so himself after the game.  Honestly, this offense has little TE utilization and they somehow thought it was a good idea to draft another one, lol. 

Edited by bouds

1 minute ago, bouds said:

I remember looking at his contract after they drafted Kincaid, and I’m pretty sure they save money by cutting him after next season.  Yeah, they’ll have dead cap, but they’ll save a good chunk of change by moving on and they’ll open up cap space by doing so.

Most likely - i could see him restructuring before that happens to stick around.  He had 9 TDs the year he signed so its not like he doesn't have ability.  

6 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Most likely - i could see him restructuring before that happens to stick around.  He had 9 TDs the year he signed so its not like he doesn't have ability.  

He does.  I mean he was wide open on that Josh int in the 2nd quarter.  I just feel like we don't use TE enough as it is.

I feel like Shakir has ability and we don't target him either.  It's just a weird offense.  In 20/21 we had much better balance spreading the ball around, not so much this year, or last for that matter.

6 minutes ago, bouds said:

He does.  I mean he was wide open on that Josh int in the 2nd quarter.  I just feel like we don't use TE enough as it is.

I feel like Shakir has ability and we don't target him either.  It's just a weird offense.  In 20/21 we had much better balance spreading the ball around, not so much this year, or last for that matter.

When buffalo has been at their best - they're targeting lots of players in different personnel groupings.  This game we pretty much sat in 11, and split shakir and sherfield in that grouping.  Shakir is the worse blocker of the two, so i'd imagine that factored into who was on the field on what downs.  They tried to use edwards as a blocking TE but that is such a huge run tell, and then used morris a bit more at the end.  

Looked like a lot of two high safety looks in cover 2, and they sat back pretty deep over the middle.  The windows there require rhythm, or you have to target the boundaries.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/15/2023 at 11:49 PM, Whkfc said:

This post needs to be pinned. 54M to a TE who can’t catch. I love so much about Knox but this is ridiculous. When are they going to realize that this guy can’t catch the ball?? I’m over the popularity contest, now I’m firmly entrenched in the production contest. It’s long overdue in calling out some of these players and off the top of my head right now Knox heads this list.

I almost forgot, Gabe Davis is right behind him. I’m going to start calling Davis Houdini because I have never seen a #2 WR disappear as much and as long as Davis does. Especially Davis, these guys are paid to catch the ball first and foremost. It’s like hiring a salesman that can’t sell, a plumber that can’t plumb etc etc.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Knox is just not a natural pass catcher, never has been. A couple offseasons ago he spent hours improving his hand-eye coordination to the point where he fatigued the muscles in his eyes… and he still can’t consistently catch the ball. The failed TD that hit his hands against the Commanders should’ve been an easy catch too. Bad contract when it was given and looks even worse now. Great guy, mediocre TE.

Edited by JayBaller10

I’ll add this… this is Knox’s average yards at the point that he’s targeted

That is INSANE. He’s averaging 2.6 yards before the catch. 

He’s caught 56% of the passes thrown his way and credited with 4 drops (16% drop rate). 

Id like to see them shut him down to let him heal up. Dawson Knox isn’t a great TE, but he’s significantly better than what we have seen this year. 

For everyone complaining about the contract, his big money isn’t until next year (14m) and we have an opt-out the following year with 7.8 dead cap.

His cap hit this year is only 6.4 million, pretty cheap. 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy

On 10/15/2023 at 11:56 PM, bobobonators said:

The Gabe Davis hate on here is absurd. The dude is a #2 WR with more TD’s than most teams’ #1 WR. Yeh he’s not Diggs - few WR are. 

Don’t forget more drops than most teams entire WR room combined, but no big deal.

The Knox contract is soooo bad, we are either bringing him back at a 14M+ cap hit for 2024 or parting with him for $20M+ of dead cap.   These type of deals for average players are what cripple your roster when you pay a QB.   Beane blew it big time on this one.  There is/was absolutely no reason to give him that monster extension.  I get that it looked like he was “breaking out” and if he turned into Kelce, you looked great, but the fact is, he never has been a reliable catcher of the ball, regardless of how good he is with the ball in his hands.  It seemed like too much at the time and it’s aged even worse.    

Again, this goes back to, HOW IS THE GM AND THE COACHING STAFF THIS FAR OFF ON PLAYER VALUATION?   GM signs guys to top 5 deal, coach doesn’t use them.. wtf?  GM drafts guys as a weapon, coach won’t use him.  GM drafts a CB in round one, coach refuses to play him.. how many times can we do this?

On 10/16/2023 at 9:38 AM, finn said:

Except Von Miller's. I don't blame Beane or Miller; pure hindsight, so it's not about Beane's judgment or Miller's play. But the fact is Miller got a gigantic contract for eight games of high-level production. It's not at all clear he'll be back to form this year, and he'll be 35 next year. Imagine spending that money on, say, Davante Adams. 

The 2 biggest contracts done by Beane that I hated the day they was done.  Knox never done anything to deserve the contract, and the Von contract was way too massive for another old player, which is higher risk as we have witnessed.  Imagine what we could have at WR with those 2 contracts?

On 10/16/2023 at 10:32 AM, Bangarang said:

THis really sums it up perfectly....

On 10/15/2023 at 11:49 PM, Whkfc said:

Given his contract, it’s fair to want more from Knox.  He has flashed so much potential at times and he’s improved quite as a blocker.  For this reason, the Bills bet on potential.  It paid off with Josh and Ed Oliver.  Has not really paid off with Knox…yet

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.