Don't forget Dawson Knox

Whkfc

7 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Agree with all points, but I can’t help but wonder if his low YPC and catch percentage is in relation to his chipping and injuries this year. 2021 and 2022 Dawson Knox was pretty dang solid. 

He really wasn't in 2022 also alot of dropped balls then just a situation where everyone was still very excited and on up about him. I was there as well but I started noticing last year thinking maybe it was injuries then but the sample size is too big now. Is he capable absolutely we've seen it. But once the new contract kicked in the decline started.

Knox is a decent TE, if he is your 4th or 5th option in the passing game you are golden. He is a good blocker and plays with good physicality but as many mentioned his hands are inconsistent at best. 

The issue isn’t that he is the TE as he is a starting caliber TE but the issue is that his cap numbers for 2024 to 2026 is going to place him among the highest paid TE’s in the league even if you restructure his deal in 2024 and 2025 you still have him as a top 6-7 TE salary most likely. Just a bad use of resources 

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Knox is a decent TE, if he is your 4th or 5th option in the passing game you are golden. He is a good blocker and plays with good physicality but as many mentioned his hands are inconsistent at best. 

The issue isn’t that he is the TE as he is a starting caliber TE but the issue is that his cap numbers for 2024 to 2026 is going to place him among the highest paid TE’s in the league even if you restructure his deal in 2024 and 2025 you still have him as a top 6-7 TE salary most likely. Just a bad use of resources 

He is  not paid to be the 5th option. Imo, more like a 3rd option. 

At this point, even post TE-university, he is what he is going to ever be. If there isnt a poison pill in his contract, I would be in favor of trading him.  This season, we need him to help Brown out. But in the off-season, get a stand alone RT and trade Knox. I hope Kincaid develops this year as a blocker and receiver as he has much better hands than Knox 

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Whkfc said:

He really wasn't in 2022 also alot of dropped balls then just a situation where everyone was still very excited and on up about him. I was there as well but I started noticing last year thinking maybe it was injuries then but the sample size is too big now. Is he capable absolutely we've seen it. But once the new contract kicked in the decline started.

Idk, I get he isn’t a “big production” 60+ catches for 800+ yards, but his TD totals are always good, he caught 74% of the passes thrown his way last year with just 4 drops (which came in a 3 game stretch) 

I think we need to clear up some misconceptions about Knox’s contract.

In 2023, he is the 15th highest paid TE at 6.4 million. That’s middle of the road, and I think he’s a better TE than middle of the road.

In 2024 (as of now, this will change), he will be the 6th highest payed TE at 14.4 million. 

*Bills then have an opt-out clause that would create 5-6m in cap space (and result in 7m in dead cap.*

In 2025 (as of now) he’s the 8th highest paid TE at 15.4m.

In 2026 (as of now) he’s the 3rd highest paid TE at 15.9m.

2027 he is a FA. 

I think at the beginning of each of the following seasons, Knox will be in the 10-12 highest paid TE rankings. I feels he’s one of the 10-12 best TEs in the league so it tracks. 

Enough is enough.

We need Kincaid on key plays. Remove Knox from the equation.

It sucks because Knox is the better blocker right now which limits our flexibility on 4th and short but we simply can’t trust Knox to catch the ball, which also limits our flexibility.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

What the number for cutting him this offseason? I doubt they do it but I'm curious. He's definitely not worth the cash that was paid to him and now Kincaid makes him expendable.  Could probably get the same type of TE for half the price.

It's over a $20M+ dead cap hit. He's not going anywhere this offseason. That contract is a nightmare.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

Really?  He is slow and has one of the worst looking YAC's I can think of.  That is....if he even CATCHES the ball

Sorry, Sarcasm. 

So many fans kept raving about it.  I never saw it either, but still need to catch the ball. 

On 10/15/2023 at 11:56 PM, bobobonators said:

The Gabe Davis hate on here is absurd. The dude is a #2 WR with more TD’s than most teams’ #1 WR. Yeh he’s not Diggs - few WR are. 

And he has less receptions and reception yards than most teams number 3 receivers. So he’s a red zone threat, that’s it 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Part of me would love to blame his wrist injury but Knox has dropped far too many passes over his career to get that benefit of the doubt.

It's not his wrist. It's poor catching technique.

Our #2 and #3 pass targets both have amateur level catching techniques. Gee I wonder why our passing offense is so inconsistent all the time.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

How has he been allowed to be so bad catching the ball for as long as he has?  At some point coaches need to fix him.  Whether it’s technique or in his head, something has to be done.

At this point, Kincaid should be the number one TE target and Knox he mop up guy.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ganesh said:

Something is wrong with Knox this season.  Go Bills !

same thing that was wrong with him rookie season - no hands. I’m not going to destroy the guy and say he has nothing to offer, he does. He’s a good blocking TE with plus running ability. But he’s extremely limited as a pass catcher because he can’t be relied upon. Hands just aren’t there. They’ll never be there. And they gave him a boat load of money.

honestly I was surprised he held on to the 2 pt try.

31 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

How has he been allowed to be so bad catching the ball for as long as he has?  At some point coaches need to fix him.  Whether it’s technique or in his head, something has to be done.

At this point, Kincaid should be the number one TE target and Knox he mop up guy.

I am just waking up and don’t have the exact numbers but Knox had an abysmal catch rate his rookie season and made a big jump from that sophomore year (not a high bar to clear, though.) He did even better after that and got paid what appears to be a laughable contract, even before Kincaid was drafted. 

edit: drops are notoriously not tracked well but fox sports has him at this, worse than his rookie season:

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/dawson-knox-player-stats?category=receiving&seasonType=reg

Edited by JoPoy88

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Part of me would love to blame his wrist injury but Knox has dropped far too many passes over his career to get that benefit of the doubt.

It ain’t the wrist. It’s his (lack of) hands. Honestly I don’t blame casual fans for thinking this guy is good, given the contract he was gifted. But he ain’t. 

teach Kincaid how to block a little, or don’t, get a solid blocking TE if they really want to run 12 all the time, and get this guy off the team. Belicheck would take him in a second he collects tight ends like 35 year old girlfriends. 

On 10/17/2023 at 9:12 PM, billsfan89 said:

4th or 5th options are safety valves and unfortunately Knox isn’t even good enough to be that. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.