Will we learn anything the next three weeks?

Billsfan1972

Unless the Bills crash and burn, these next three weeks will tell me very little.

Want to see three blowouts, and that should be the objective, but anything less as long as 3-0, I still won't get too concerned and probably will blame coaching and play calling.

Maybe the two worst offensive teams in the NFL and Baker Mayfield.

What can the Bills do that really will get you excited again?

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Unless the Bills crash and burn, these next three weeks will tell me very little.

Want to see three blowouts, and that should be the objective, but anything less as long as 3-0, I still won't get too concerned and probably will blame coaching and play calling.

Don't undersell the Buccaneers. They aren't a bad football team...and definitely not on par with what the Giants or Patriots are right now. And as far as Baker Mayfield...well his team won the last time he played us. They, at least, have some playmakers on both sides of the ball and can be dangerous.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Unfortunately it's hard to frame these next three games in a way where if we've "learned" something from them, that something is a positive about our team. 

I suppose you could say that if we dominate these teams the way we dominated our 3 wins of the season so far, it means McD's scheme really does elevate its players and/or that our depth is pretty solid. 

But can the next three wins excite me? Well, depends on how much the Chiefs and Dolphins lose I guess, lol. 

You can learn a lot. I want to see the offense back in rhythm after last week. For as bad as the score looked, the Giants D actually frustrated the Fins D last week to an extent. The Pats still have some pieces on defense and BB can still coach that side of the ball. The Bucs are a sneaky good team, especially if Mike Evans is back. I want to see the offense look like it did against the Raiders and Fins, not like it did against Washington. I want to see how the defense adjust to the injuries and how they deal with WLB. There is a lot at play in what should be 3 wins. But then again, "any given Sunday/Thursday."

28 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Just enjoy the games. They don't have to tell us anything.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

We just lost to an inferior Jags team , so while I think we win each game , I'm still very interested in how the D looks without Milano and Jones, with Barkley likely playing and the offense finding the proper balance between 2 TE and 3 WR sets

I wouldn't call the Jags an "inferior" team.  While the Bills are a Better team, the Jags have a great team.  They always play the Bills tough, like the Jets.

• Agree 2

I do think we'll learn something about our defensive backups, particularly people like Elam, Ford, and Williams. And I think we'll also learn how good McD's scheme is at maintaining defensive performance despite missing key pieces.

This is such a defeatist attitude.   The Bills have to blow out each team, and even then… it doesn’t mean anything.  You’re setting up an impossible task…

beat every team and any team you deem not good, they should completely dominate.  Otherwise, it’s all no good?   Come on.  The premise of this is all based in unrealistic expectations.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

Our injury ridden defense could use some "warm up games." Id say its actually 6 games, the bengals arent good this year either, and then the broncos and jets.....

Given playoff outcome last year and a potentially healthier Burrow, that game makes me anxious.  At best Bengals will be 4-3 heading into game against us, and that’s unlikely, given they have matchups against Seattle and San Fran before then.  We will need to bring our ‘A’ game against them, as I’m expecting that game will be the proverbial “must win” for them.  Should be the biggest test we face over the next 6 games. 

Edited by strive_for_five_guy

1 hour ago, Taro Nimbus said:

I wouldn't call the Jags an "inferior" team.  While the Bills are a Better team, the Jags have a great team.  They always play the Bills tough, like the Jets.

I had Jax as 1 of the best teams coming into the season but they've refressed for whatever reason.  

Last year they started off very slow so we'll see,  but I feel we beat them 9/10 times

You see the problem is the Giants & Pats are two of the worst offenses and Tyrod & Mc are no yardstick to measure the defense imo.  Mayfield is a little better but TB is middle of the road at best and the Bills are home that week.

The offense I won't be surprised if Dorsey goes to the dinks and dunks and running and Bills control games they should blow-out opponents, but frankly it won't say a whole lot.

Of course if closer then need be, I too will worry.

No win imo.😜

1 hour ago, Dan said:

This is such a defeatist attitude.   The Bills have to blow out each team, and even then… it doesn’t mean anything.  You’re setting up an impossible task…

beat every team and any team you deem not good, they should completely dominate.  Otherwise, it’s all no good?   Come on.  The premise of this is all based in unrealistic expectations.  

What did the Eagles do last year?????  They were expected to be good, however went out and dominated.  The Bills should do the same.

9 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

You see the problem is the Giants & Pats are two of the worst offenses and Tyrod & Mc are no yardstick to measure the defense imo.  Mayfield is a little better but TB is middle of the road at best and the Bills are home that week.

The offense I won't be surprised if Dorsey goes to the dinks and dunks and running and Bills control games they should blow-out opponents, but frankly it won't say a whole lot.

No win imo.😜

What did the Eagles do last year?????  They were expected to be good, however went out and dominated.  The Bills should do the same.

What are you learning tonight?  The Broncos have an elite defense holding KC to 3 points with 5:00 minutes left in the half?

Edited by Royale with Cheese

5 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

We need to win all 3 and Convincingly so.  That is what great teams do and we were on pace to do that until McDermott got stupid on travel plans.

Win...all..3.

8 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What are you learning tonight?  The Broncos have an elite defense holding KC to 3 points with 5:00 minutes left in the half?

That KC continues to struggle scoring points regardless of opponents.  Also the issues playing Thursday night.

Next 4 weeks will be more difficult for KC.

I expect the Bills to win the next 3 and get to 6-2. They should be at worst 8-3 as well (I can actually see 9-2 unless something drastic changes with Burrow's health and the Bengals in the meantime). I don't think any of that will tell us much. 

How they fare over the final 6 weeks will tell us something. The options being:

1) this is still a team capable of competing for a Superbowl;

2) this is still a good team but it is missing too many pieces to go all the way;

3) actually this is a team that across the board is regressing and needs a re-set.

All three of those options are in play unless we lose more key players between now and then in which case I actually think nothing that happens the rest of this season would tell us anything other than the Bills have had some really bad injury luck. 

9 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No win imo.😜

what did you learn about KC who struggled against Denver today?

10 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I had Jax as 1 of the best teams coming into the season but they've refressed for whatever reason.  

Last year they started off very slow so we'll see,  but I feel we beat them 9/10 times

I mean we lose to the Jags 9/10 is the reality. They are a proper bogey team for the Bills for some reason. 

They laid an egg against Houston, but they should have beaten KC. They are not an elite team but they are a team who on their day can beat any team and when given the advantage that they were last Sunday against the jetlagged Bills.... I mean I always said I was worried about that game. 

Can only imagine the headlines Monday with Daboll and Tyrod in the mix.  As they say they write themselves.

We could see a wounded animal like Denver vs. KC playing a decent game on defense and keeping it respectable and then some Fans/Posters here with a usual "Just Win Baby".

Tyrod has a above average game and again McD fans defending the wounded Defense.

Daboll dialing up some schemes and Allen a little confused and then the 50/50 back and forth whether it is Allen being reckless or Dorsey's bad play calling and offensive schemes.

Yep I want like the Eagle's last year (& SF right now) or KC when they were going full bore to just blowout the Giants (and all their inferior opponents), but that too won't tell me much. 

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

what did you learn about KC who struggled against Denver today?

See above I answered it already.  

Edited by Billsfan1972

• Billsfan1972 changed the title to Will we learn anything the next three weeks?

I’m one of those “Just Win Baby” posters and I don’t care how it gets done. Nothing matters this early in the season except stacking W’s. How it’s done means nothing other than to make some posters feel good about themselves and the team. The key is to peak towards the end of the season into the playoffs assuming we have the record to make the playoffs (and that’s not a given despite the attitude here).

So just win. If we destroy them like we did Miami then great! I LOVED that. I LOVED destroying the Pats* in the playoffs with a perfect game. But I didn’t expect it, and I never do. I just hope for the W and anything more than that is gravy.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

We just lost to an inferior Jags team , so while I think we win each game , I'm still very interested in how the D looks without Milano and Jones, with Barkley likely playing and the offense finding the proper balance between 2 TE and 3 WR sets

Are the Jags an inferior team? If so by how much? 

Last year, they went as far as the Bills did in the playoffs. 

The Jags just beat the Bills and have the same record. 

14 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

14 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

McD's Bills have been very good at obliterating bad teams, so if that doesn't happen over the next few weeks I'll start to worry.

So here’s the problem with this all or nothing approach-if the Bills don’t dominate these 3 games people will be calling for players and coaches heads and saying things like “well they will be exposed if they play like this against (insert team here)” then at the same time will only look at wins and losses for chiefs/bengals/dolphins. Never mind the fact that the Chiefs didn’t look good last night, bengals haven’t looked great all year…you get the point.

Get the win no matter the score (again, the Chiefs have shown time and again winning ugly is still a win) and hopefully get these younger players involved

Edited by Ya Digg?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.