Bills vs Jags Postgame thread

SCBills

18 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Yes, because our offense kept them on the field.

It was the case all game. We were getting gashed before the injuries and got tired.

21 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38387165/bills-owner-terry-pegula-made-racist-comment-lawsuit-alleges
Got a feeling there’s going to be much more drama off the field in regards to Pegula’s past statements and sentiments then there is attention to the team.  Whether or not Kim had a prenup or has one and if she can regain the team control as she’s been the major contributing factors towards the teams success.  Think the cardiac episode is from when this first slowly started making the rounds and she realized what she married.  

Maybe allowing alcohol to be served at 8am isn't such a great idea? 

• Haha (+1) 2

A lot of people claimed there is no such thing as a "trap" game.  

Maybe that's the not the best wording.  But going in, this one had all the makings of a let-down.

Three straight blow-outs, capped by a huge divisional win against the NFL's hottest team.  Suddenly, we are the talk of the league again.  Meanwhile the Jags haven't played their best yet, and are flying under the radar.  Then you have the short overseas trip, against a team that's had a week longer to get acclimated.  Throw in the deflating injuries (both pre-game and during the 1st Quarter).  There were plenty of reasons the Bills came out flat.

The results of today honestly didn't surprise me.  I was half expecting a loss, and vowed I wasn't going to get down if it happened.  Of course the Bills still found a way to completely ruin my Sunday football experience...thanks to two major injuries to Matt Milano and DaQuan Jones that will likely kill the season.  I can already see an early playoff exit coming, 3 months away.

On offense, I feel like Ken Dorsey needs to do a better job adapting during the game.  The Jets focused on taking away the explosive downfield passing game.  We failed to adjust until Week 2.  Once we started working underneath, the offense went on a nice run.  The Jags seemed to focus today on loading the box to take away the run, and then rallying to tackle the short passes.  We should have been running tons of play-action and downfield shots.  But it took us around 3 quarters to do so, and by then our defense was gassed and it was too late.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

So now posters are blaming Allen for the dropped passes, O line holding calls and suspect play calling?  Please. 

You want to know what the "Josh Allen Experience" is?  It's winning football, it's three straight Division titles and four straight trips to the playoffs.  It's being listed as a legit Super Bowl contender for four years in a row. Without the "Josh Allen Experience" the last 5 seasons would have been more of the drought years.

What part of "although I don't blame him much for this one" did you not comprehend?

thoughts on London travel…I live in Seattle but have spent 35 nights over the last year in London for work. Jet lag from the west coast is obviously much worse than from Buffalo, with an 8 hour time difference instead is 5.

So…I have a routine. The way the flights and time zones work out, I have to depart at 7pm on, say, a Sunday night, sleep as much as I can in a flat bed pod, land around noon on Monday, take a shower and get clean clothes on at the airport, head downtown on the Heathrow Express, go straight to the office, am in meetings from 2:30-6pm or so, have dinner with colleagues, go for a swim in the hotel pool around 9pm, try to get to sleep by 10:30 or so, and hope desperately to sleep for a 4 or 5 hours before waking up in the middle of the night. Sometimes I get back to sleep and sometimes I don’t after that 4-5 hour burst, but that is typically enough to make me fully functional the following day. Bonus is if I don’t start until 10:30am or so on Tuesday, as that often enables me to get a second burst of sleep. It kind of works. I am in good shape on Tuesday. But Tuesday night is almost always worse. Up for hours tossing and turning. Zombie on Wednesday. And total crap shoot from there until I return home on Friday and then am a mess for several days on the other side. So based on all this I have a few reactions on the NFL games in London and what we just saw:

1. it is brutal that the NFL makes teams play in London. Shame on the owners for going along with this; I bet plenty of these guys have experienced the challenges of trans-Atlantic travel in their business lives. The disrespect for the men who put their bodies on the line week in and week out is extraordinary. 

2. Everyone’s physiology is different and goodness knows the challenge of playing a brutal, high speed sport at the highest level is completely and totally different from effectiveness in meetings!!! Still, based on my sleep experience, I would say the Bills picked the worst possible strategy for flying over because of the “night 2” sleep challenge. Their night 2 was Saturday night…I suspect it would have actually been much better for their sleep if they had flown on Friday night, muscled through Saturday, gone to sleep at a hotel by the stadium, and rolled into the stadium to prepare for the game as late as their schedule would permit on Sunday.

3. Interesting to wonder what obligations the NFL places on teams, though. Would the scenario above even have been permissible, in light of London press conferences and the like that the team is on the hook for?

4. If the “Friday night flight” option is not available for those reasons, then I think the only way to do this is to fly over as soon as humanely possible in the week before the game. Like Monday. That would provide enough time to get acclimated well enough to sleep well on Saturday night, I bet…

5. …while also ensuring that the following week the team would be zombies because of reacclimatizing to east coast time. So kind of a “screwed no matter what you do” situation.

All of this, in my mind, underscores how awful the London games are, and how significant a physiological advantage the Jags had on Sunday. They may, however, have challenges during the week ahead because of their jet lag upon returning to Jacksonville.

Just one man’s opinion…

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Embarrassing. Allen could’ve run countless times it’s clear he’s being told not to 

8 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

I wouldn’t on that turf 

I cant disagree about that cursed turf, but we definitely missed Allen's runs today. The Jags didnt need to respect his running ability and it worked against us because it takes away our numbers advantage. There were at least a couple of times when Allen should have pulled it down for 4-5 yards and instead tried to make a pass, and each time it was a bad throw to a covered guy and an incompletion for 0 yards.

Whole offense was out of sorts and this was definitely a factor. Need to at least show Josh is a threat or else we're just any other offense.

It seemed like all the injuries affected the offense almost like it did the fans, discombobulated with a sense of panic.  Instead of just putting the blinders on and methodically scoring points everyone looked out of sorts or lost.

• Agree 1

This game was insanely frustrating for a lot of reasons.  But watching the Jags struggle on several offensive series only to make one nice play to bail themselves out was crushing.  That or the refs bailed them out on a few calls and kept their offense on the field when drives should have ended.

• Agree 2

As an aside....

Just want to crap on the final sequence. I know game was mostly over. But ...

:30 seconds to go for 40-50 yards for a shot at a hail Mary is doable. Why we threw over the middle hook and ladder type crap that early was yet another dreadful call and plan. 

Just shook my head. We've moved before on better teams....c'mon man.

1 minute ago, RichRiderBills said:

As an aside....

:30 seconds to go for 40-50 yards for a shot at a hail Mary is doable. Why we threw over the middle hook and ladder type crap that early was yet another dreadful call and plan. 

And it started with the idiot trying to run back the kick. Should have let it go and get the ball on the 20.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, zow2 said:

This game was insanely frustrating for a lot of reasons.  But watching the Jags struggle on several offensive series only to make one nice play to bail themselves out was crushing.  That or the refs bailed them out on a few calls and kept their offense on the field when drives should have ended.

Yes, each drive was a mix of them making good plays on 3rd down, AND some bogus or ticky tack call 

The initial Zay TD was bobbled out of bounds and no catch. Terrible non call, w replay cutting out the bobble. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

As an aside....

The hook and ladder play was there for a huge gain they just mistimed the pitch…cook had a ton of room down the sideline.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

The hook and ladder play was there for a huge gain they just mistimed the pitch…cook had a ton of room down the sideline.  

Sounds like the Texans playoff game where Knox would still be running if he got Allen's pitch lol

I am frustrated by today. But I want to keep folks positive.

D is going to take a hit but will get Benford back, hopefully Ford can be a viable fill in for Jones. Offense is healthy. 

A bunch of AFC teams are 3-2

We still go out and beat teams we should beat and we are looking at like 9-2 going into the tough part of the season. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

No. No they didn’t.

They were down Rousseau, Daquan Jones, had a Von Miller in there who is getting acclimated, had Lawson out, Milano out, Tre White out,  Christian Benford out….and they played their asses off.

Did AJ Epenesa look jet lagged to you?

Offense looked jet lagged LOL

We’ll bounce back.  But stubbornness on Dorsey’s behalf hurt.  How many times did they run the delay to Cook out of shotgun formation?  It didn’t gain a yard.

When your defense is hurting you have to eat up click with long drives.  Run the two big guys.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

No excuses.  Jet lag, refs, injuries, blah, blah, blah.  They looked like crap against an inferior team. 

Twice in 5 games they lost winnable games.  

How was the difference maker making his triumphant return?  We must have got the 5.5% guy, and the 94.5% guy wasn’t ready to contribute. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Success said:

He was really great today, to be fair.  He needs to be more consistent, but he made all of the big throws today.

True. And Calvin Ridley was the FIRST STAR by a mile in this game. He killed Buffalo on several third and longs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

That was written prior to him being promoted to OC.

Do better than that 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.