Joe Namath wants Jets to clean house & start over

Albany,n.y.

45 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!! I have been saying that. Justin Fields has to be better than Zach Wilson. Rex Ryan said that they couldn't afford a good backup QB but they can afford Dalvin Cook and a bunch of handpicked old WRs? THEIR MANAGEMENT IS TERRIBLE just like the Mets.

Agreed.  I said in another thread that management ceded all decision making to Rodgers...who hand picked his coordinator and receivers.  He had calf issues in training camp.  Did no one consider the possibility that he might not be part of that offense at some point?  Just poor planning...or no planning.

36 minutes ago, stinky finger said:

My point is the regime failed selecting this guy. Better to move off before you lose the locker room. You already made one big mistake, don't make another.

They refuse to do that. Glad you see the stupidity that is going on in NEW JERSEY :P

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Success said:

It's a good team - they just need a QB.

I'm surprised they're not trying to get someone else right now.  They could still salvage the season.

Sure, NFL teams are lining up to help the Jets.  The best they can do is someone else's 3rd stringer or a street free agent(who is on the street for a reason).  It's too late to get someone else in to salvage the season, they had the offseason to do that & failed to get Rodgers an adequate backup, probably because they already had too much cap money dedicated to the QB position, because of the drain Wilson's 1st round contract caused, and Rodgers huge deal.  

Just now, Albany,n.y. said:

Sure, NFL teams are lining up to help the Jets.  The best they can do is someone else's 3rd stringer or a street free agent(who is on the street for a reason).  It's too late to get someone else in to salvage the season, they had the offseason to do that & failed to get Rodgers an adequate backup, probably because they already had too much cap money dedicated to the QB position, because of the drain Wilson's 1st round contract caused, and Rodgers huge deal.  

Supposedly, both Wentz and Matt Ryan reached out to them, and they declined.

Either guy would make them a tough team to beat.  

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Success said:

Supposedly, both Wentz and Matt Ryan reached out to them, and they declined.

Either guy would make them a tough team to beat.  

Ryan is so washed up, he never has to bathe again & Wentz is trash.  If a guy is on the street after week 1 there's a reason.  More like NEITHER guy would make them a tough team to beat.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.

3 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Ryan is so washed up, he never has to bathe again & Wentz is trash.  If a guy is on the street after week 1 there's a reason.  More like NEITHER guy would make them a tough team to beat.  

I 100% disagree. Wilson can't play the position.  Both of those guys can.

They don't need a star or even close to it. They need someone who can complete passes. They win yesterday easily w/ either Wentz or Ryan.

12 minutes ago, Success said:

I 100% disagree. Wilson can't play the position.  Both of those guys can.

They don't need a star or even close to it. They need someone who can complete passes. They win yesterday easily w/ either Wentz or Ryan.

In 2017 they could, not in 2023 (nor 2022 when they both played their way out of the NFL, including benchings for both of them) .  

Edited by Albany,n.y.

2 hours ago, Since1981 said:

Pure silly to blame HC & GM for QB1-HOF(ish) going down and in chaos. I have to think they’re on the QB hotlines now but it won’t cut it. 

JA17 goes down. Allen #2 is a cluster year. 

Who should be responsible for the Jets' repeated failure to secure an NFL caliber QB if not the GM (the owner isn't going to fire himself)?   The GM is the guy who hired the scouts and other talent evaluators.  The Jets have drafted 4 first round QBs since 2000, and the only one who was even somewhat successful was Chad Pennington whom they drafted at #18 in 2000.   The other three first rounders, all top five picks, have been busts: Mark Sanchez, #5 in 2009, Sam Darnold #3 in 2018, and Zach Wilson #2 in 2021, each one worst than the previous one.  Darnold and Wilson weren't even serviceable starters, which prompted the Jets to trade for Rodgers.    The Jets took Darnold in 2018 with both Allen and Jackson still on the board.  In the 2021 draft, the Jets picked Wilson from a group of somewhat questionable QB prospects.   The Jets mortgaged their future to move up in the draft twice in recent years and failed twice.

The Bills didn't mortgage their future to trade for a 39-year-old QB.  They traded draft capital to get a prospect who has developed into a superstar, so their investment has been repaid, even if Allen were to be injured and out for a season.

2 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

This from a man who threw more interceptions than touchdowns in almost every season he played in and for his career and the ONLY reason why he is in the HOF is because of Super Bowl III. 

Namath played in an entirely different era when the rules of the game favored defenders and QBs regularly threw much longer passes than they do today, so judging QBs of that era by today's statistical measures reveals your lack of historical perspective.    

Edited by SoTier
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It makes zero sense to me that the Jets haven't brought in a vet to backup (cough cough - take over for) Zach after Rodgers went down. 

Was texting with a close friend (Jets fan) about it last night wondering if it was on the coach or the GM.  He put it on the owner and there is actually a dot or two that might connect. Zach's uncle (David Neeleman) is the founder of JetBlue and appears to have a business relationship with Woody Johnson (https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/predicting-new-york-jets-quarterback-room-2023-zach-wilson-aaron-rodgers)

This is the type of speculation I'd usually dismiss out of hand, but I have to admit that given the current state of Jets affairs it could explain the unexplainable. Plus, I heard Saleh's post game endorsement of Zach today and it was pretty obvious he's just toeing the company line. And I can't imagine a GM not bringing in someone - anyone - to back up (cough cough - take over for) Zach. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

He's blaming them for drafting Wilson & not replacing him by now.  Imagine if we had drafted Rosen & then brought in a veteran to replace him in 2020 & had to keep Rosen for salary cap reasons and the veteran got hurt & was out for the season in the 1st series.  This board would be calling for Beane's & McDermott's jobs.  Heck, people are calling for their jobs every day around here now.  

Rightfully so. Drafting #17 people DID call for some to be fired. 
Do it once shame on you, twice…. Shame on you some more!! lol

28 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I heard Saleh's post game endorsement of Zach today and it was pretty obvious he's just toeing the company line. And I can't imagine a GM not bringing in someone - anyone - to back up (cough cough - take over for) Zac

I’m having pleasant(!) flashbacks and PTSD to some kids named Ralphy, Dougy, Trent, Wade. It’s worse because Zac Attack doesn’t even have a glimmer 

1 hour ago, jkeerie said:

Agreed.  I said in another thread that management ceded all decision making to Rodgers...who hand picked his coordinator and receivers.  He had calf issues in training camp.  Did no one consider the possibility that he might not be part of that offense at some point?  Just poor planning...or no planning.

Catering to Rodgers' wishes (demands?) really suggests some serious dysfunctionality in the Jests FO/ownership, and my guess is that Jets owner, Woody Johnson, is the source. Wilson simply isn't competent.  Keeping him as the starter also suggests that somebody far higher in the corporate food chain wants him there.

Joe’s doing the Jets a huge favor. He’s got the cred to infuriate the fan base that will allow the GM to ultimately pull the plug on the Wilson experiment. Wilson screwed the timeline up by winning against the Bills. That gave him a few more weeks to show his ineptitude. Now the question is, will they wait for Saleh to lose the locker room when a great defensive performance gets waisted by Wilson. To me, the Jets must bring in a veteran the week after the KC debacle Sunday night. Who knows, maybe a Cousins or a Wentz could get them some wins.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

He's blaming them for drafting Wilson & not replacing him by now.  Imagine if we had drafted Rosen & then brought in a veteran to replace him in 2020 & had to keep Rosen for salary cap reasons and the veteran got hurt & was out for the season in the 1st series.  This board would be calling for Beane's & McDermott's jobs.  Heck, people are calling for their jobs every day around here now.  

Can see the logic in keeping Wilson as the backup.  There's not 32 legit starting QB's in the league, now Joe Willie wants a better backup!  Can also see how the Jets were hoping that Wilson could learn from Rodgers and maybe could become an adequate QB so considering how few good backups are around, can't really fault the Jets for sticking with him.

Curious too so he doesn't think it's even worth waiting a year for Rodgers to come back and lead them tot he SB in 2024??

37 minutes ago, SoTier said:

In the 2021 draft, the Jets picked Wilson from a group of somewhat questionable QB prospects.   The Jets mortgaged their future to move up in the draft twice in recent years and failed twice.

Nobody knew that the only highly ranked QB in the 2021 draft who was any good would be Lawrence, who the Jets lost out on by winning 2 games in a year Jacksonville only won one.  Certainly not SF, who traded multiple 1sts for Trey Lance, nor the Bears who traded up for Justin Fields.  The 2 recent years the Jets drafted QBs those drafts were loaded with 1st round QB busts.  Sort of like the year the Bills forced themselves to draft a QB after letting Fitzpatrick go & ended up with EJ Manuel.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Who should be responsible for the Jets' repeated failure to secure an NFL caliber QB if not the GM (the owner isn't going to fire himself)?   The GM is the guy who hired the scouts and other talent evaluators.  The Jets have drafted 4 first round QBs since 2000, and the only one who was even somewhat successful was Chad Pennington whom they drafted at #18 in 2000.   The other three first rounders, all top five picks, have been busts: Mark Sanchez, #5 in 2009, Sam Darnold #3 in 2018, and Zach Wilson #2 in 2021, each one worst than the previous one.  Darnold and Wilson weren't even serviceable starters, which prompted the Jets to trade for Rodgers.    The Jets took Darnold in 2018 with both Allen and Jackson still on the board.  In the 2021 draft, the Jets picked Wilson from a group of somewhat questionable QB prospects.   The Jets mortgaged their future to move up in the draft twice in recent years and failed twice.

The Bills didn't mortgage their future to trade for a 39-year-old QB.  They traded draft capital to get a prospect who has developed into a superstar, so their investment has been repaid, even if Allen were to be injured and out for a season.

Namath played in an entirely different era when the rules of the game favored defenders and QBs regularly threw much longer passes than they do today, so judging QBs of that era by today's statistical measures reveals your lack of historical perspective.    

In fairness each one was drafted by a different GM.  Douglas only drafted Wilson and if you're going to start firing GM's for drafting bad QB's, there will be no one left to hire.  Drafting QB's in any round results in more failures than successes.  The 2018 was supposed to have been one of the best QB classes of all times, yet today believe only Allen and Jackson are still with the team the drafted him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.