Random talking head says something about the Bills

Simon

18 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

lol@ you throwing his 3.2 avg from his 4th year into a 3 year avg from his other lesser seasons to come up with that 3.9.  immediately done reading your post as soon as i see that. 

that 3.2 stands alone. do not put it together with a 4.4 season and a 4.0 season which also included 59 receptions and 8 TDs

When league average is 4.2 and your last 400 carries are below that..........that blows.   Like I said,  the far-too-modest 4.4 was a bad year in context.   Everyone else was running for 5.5 yards in that offense.   When he finally went out for the season Karlos and Gillislee ATE in his absence.   He was holding them back.   He admitted as much that offseason as well.   Hugely disappointing first year in Buffalo and 2 low production years to finish.

Imagine signing a 27 year old RB to a big contract now.  It wasn't any less stupid then.....but that's how dysfunctional the Bills were.    It's funny hearing the nuanced complaints about the team now being treated like they are absolute travesties when they were doing dumb sh!t like paying a veteran RB top dollar back then and some of you were eating it up. :doh:

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

When league average is 4.2 and your last 400 carries are below that..........that blows.   Like I said,  the far-too-modest 4.4 was a bad year in context.   Everyone else was running for 5.5 yards in that offense.   When he finally went out for the season Karlos and Gillislee ATE in his absence.   He was holding them back.   He admitted as much that offseason as well.   Hugely disappointing first year in Buffalo and 2 low production years to finish.

Imagine signing a 27 year old RB to a big contract now.  It wasn't any less stupid then.....but that's how dysfunctional the Bills were.    It's funny hearing the nuanced complaints about the team now being treated like they are absolute travesties when they were doing dumb sh!t like paying a veteran RB top dollar back then and some of you were eating it up. :doh:

There is a model in the NFL where a premier RB is a necessity to make the playoffs. Dallas employed that with Zeke and Dak and Cleveland with Baker and Chubb. Ditto the Bills with Tyrod and Shady. It’s not a particularly good model because it centers around a QB that can only win with a premier running game and defense, but it can keep fans off of an owner’s back and allow a GM and HC to keep their jobs for a while. I’m happy that the Bills have graduated to a situation where they have a premium QB, which opens up the running game. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The Daniel Jones experiment only goes as far as a compare and contrast. Both were project QBs thrust into rookie roles where they struggled early with completion percentage.

The Bills went out and got Daboll early and built a supporting cast. The Giants... didn't. With Daboll in 2022 Jones had his best year ever. But Isaiah Hodgins was a contributor. That's the talent drop off.

Josh all day any day

7 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

There is a model in the NFL where a premier RB is a necessity to make the playoffs. Dallas employed that with Zeke and Dak and Cleveland with Baker and Chubb. Ditto the Bills with Tyrod and Shady. It’s not a particularly good model because it centers around a QB that can only win with a premier running game and defense, but it can keep fans off of an owner’s back and allow a GM and HC to keep their jobs for a while. I’m happy that the Bills have graduated to a situation where they have a premium QB, which opens up the running game. 

I don't think I'd give Rex and Whaley that much credit.😂

Rex saw a shiny toy and they made an impulse buy.  

Then when McCoy expressed his disgust at the trade and threatened not to report they had to re-do his deal.........greatly devaluing the exchange because his then Eagles contract ran thru 2017 already........which would eventually turn out to be the end of his usefulness as an NFL player(and a year past his "star" days).

I think alcohol on the Pegula yacht contributed more to that snap decision as some model for success.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Would you say that seems to be the model in San Francisco?

7 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

The Daniel Jones experiment only goes as far as a compare and contrast. Both were project QBs thrust into rookie roles where they struggled early with completion percentage.

The Bills went out and got Daboll early and built a supporting cast. The Giants... didn't. With Daboll in 2022 Jones had his best year ever. But Isaiah Hodgins was a contributor. That's the talent drop off.

Josh all day any day

?

Daniel Jones worst career completion % was 62% his rookie year, with 24 TD to 12 INT.  He got enough ypg to win, as well, with 233 y/g

That was under Pat Shurmur as OC and Mike Shula (yep, our guy now) as OC.  He looked pretty good IMO.

Compare and contrast Josh Allen's rookie year, 53% completion and 10 TD to 12 INT, 173 YPG which is typically not enough to win consistently.

Allen's 2nd year some better, with 59% completion, 20 TD to 9 INT and close to 200 YPG

Part of the difference is that Allen got to stay with a consistent crew of coaches that added pieces on OL and at WR. 

In contrast, the Giants moved on to Joe Judge as HC and Jason Garrett as OC and Jones supporting cast either stayed the same or got worse.

56 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Would you say that seems to be the model in San Francisco?

That’s a really good question. I wasn’t thinking of them, but, yeah, it would be the same set up. They have the added benefit of Kyle Shanahan though. He is phenomenal at elevating the play of his QBs. That would make them an exception to the “can’t get very far in the playoffs.”

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s a really good question. I wasn’t thinking of them, but, yeah, it would be the same set up. They have the added benefit of Kyle Shanahan though. He is phenomenal at elevating the play of his QBs. That would make them an exception to the “can’t get very far in the playoffs.”

I am personally rooting "one game farther" for them.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

?

Daniel Jones worst career completion % was 62% his rookie year, with 24 TD to 12 INT.  He got enough ypg to win, as well, with 233 y/g

That was under Pat Shurmur as OC and Mike Shula (yep, our guy now) as OC.  He looked pretty good IMO.

Compare and contrast Josh Allen's rookie year, 53% completion and 10 TD to 12 INT, 173 YPG which is typically not enough to win consistently.

Allen's 2nd year some better, with 59% completion, 20 TD to 9 INT and close to 200 YPG

Part of the difference is that Allen got to stay with a consistent crew of coaches that added pieces on OL and at WR. 

In contrast, the Giants moved on to Joe Judge as HC and Jason Garrett as OC and Jones supporting cast either stayed the same or got worse.

The other part of the reason is Jones isn’t Allen, Jones will not and can not ever do what Allen can and does do on a football field.

seems like a nice guy though.

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, The 9 Isles said:

Entertaining clip with Simms defending how Allen handled the Diggs drama during their time together. 

More ….. not so heated lol

Question: What do you call it if Florio, Simms, Nick Wright, Cowherd and Steven A. Smith were in a car that drove off a cliff?

Answer: A good start.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The Stephen A. Smith-ization of sports tv shows is why I don’t watch them anymore.  Who sits and watches two guys yelling at each other about things that dont even matter in life?

It was a fun schtick when it first started and there were one maybe two guys that did it. Now every show has to have "that guy". And much like it is outside the sports world, it's often those that yell the loudest that know the least.

Though I haven't watched in years I used to enjoy Pardon the Interruption with Wilbon and Kornheiser. Often had opposing views but actually talked and made valid and informed points on both sides. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

40 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The Stephen A. Smith-ization of sports tv shows is why I don’t watch them anymore.  Who sits and watches two guys yelling at each other about things that dont even matter in life?

Yet you have nearly 18k appearances in this forum, where people argue and yell about differing sports opinions that don’t matter in life 😂

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This.  On top of that, neither one of them has a clue about the reality of the situation but they argue about it anyway.  

This highlights the real problems with that kind of difficult situation. Allen was handcuffed. He wasn’t really in a position to be able to tell off Diggs and put him in line. You can only do that when you’re able to kick someone to the curb and that just barely became feasible this offseason. Florio was right that Diggs had the power in the relationship. Allen had to play peacemaker because burning down the relationship with Diggs would hurt the whole team. The real issue was the contract extension the Bills gave him. You can’t make a guy like Diggs happy for long. He’s only happy if he gets every last thing he wants and the minute he doesn’t he goes back to being a massive problem. 

• Agree 2

I mean Florio is right.  It's not in Josh's nature to be a hard ass.  He had to accept Diggs being a moody Diva and do his best to not cause a huge rift.  These two players used to be buddies and would play Call of Duty nearly every day after practice and I'm sure by this past season they barely spoke outside the facility.  it's because Diggs wanted it that way and eventually get to another team.

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Well said,  as to the “who” you mentioned… I won’t go there. 

I think this all goes along with the Josh Allen being relieved Diggs is gone line of thought. I really think Josh was tired of his antics, his attitude, and his "me first" bull crap. I think he was tired of the questions about and defending a guy who was always causing drama, both in public and behind the scenes. Simms probably dealt with some similar stuff to a certain extent and understands. Florio, on the other hand, is just a bobblehead with a mic and a law degree. 

• Like (+1) 1

It's interesting because Florio & Simms are the only talking head duo I regularly watch and they almost never get heated like this. That's why I watch them, they aren't pro wrestlers creating fake drama. When they do argue like this it's because they genuinely disagree. Just my two cents.

• Like (+1) 3

I do like PTI though, because they're both old like me, complain about many of the same things in sports I do, and also like me, Tony goes to bed at 9:30.  Often times though, they're caught up in the NBA/Lakers/Warriors drama, which during those segments, I zone out.  

• Like (+1) 1

The first time Allen has to sit in front of mics, I hope he has his opening Diggs speech rehearsed because 90% of the questions will be about their relationship. 

Honestly, the bills would have kept diggs if they got to or won a Super Bowl. They got him out with the rest of the old guard mainly bc they lost 3x to the chiefs in the playoffs. Couldn’t get it done. An opportunity presented itself and beane made the most of it given what has happened as a team and organization the past couple of years.

I think the drama is a little bit over blown, but it was just enough to be like ***** it, let’s rip this thing down to the studs (aka JA17). 

I think folks are taking the wrong angle on this.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

The reality is nobody but Allen and Diggs know's the reason why this trade went down and we probably never will which is fine with me but the fact that we know Allen knew in some way that Diggs would possibly be dealt and didn't nix the trade whatsoever speaks volumes imo.

Oh, I'm sure there are quite a few more who know why this trade went down. I expect no one to talk about it on the Buffalo side though. I do, however, expect Diggs to do an interview or two here at some point in the near future where he throws out some parting shots in typical Diggs' manner. 

57 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It's interesting because Florio & Simms are the only talking head duo I regularly watch and they almost never get heated like this. That's why I watch them, they aren't pro wrestlers creating fake drama. When they do argue like this it's because they genuinely disagree. Just my two cents.

I get the feeling that Simms genuinely dislikes Florio. 

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Mad Dog Russo is straight up hilarious with his screaming 😂

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I only do this for PTI which is the one and only "duo-ing talking heads" show that is needed. Everyone else can gtfo.

edit: Just watched the clip in the OP. That was the most obnoxious 1min13sec I've ever seen out of this duo. The talking over each other while arguing nothing. Are they not in the same room? Seemed like both of them could use a vacation. Awkward at the end.

Looks like Florio and Simms have a worse relationship than Josh and Diggs ever had!

Edited by DrDawkinstein

This makes a nice change from the usual dynamic on this show that I see, which is Florio talking for a few minutes making a point, then Simms opening with "you're absolutely right Mike, you said it perfectly..." then clumsily regurgitating Florio's arguement.  I can barely watch that show due to that constantly happening.

Good to see Simms have an opposing arguement for a change and be passionate about defending it.

• Like (+1) 1

Simms is 100% right.  It's funny that Florio brings up Rogers as some kind of example.  He's an example of a gigantic ass-clown and totally a "me first" guy IMO.  Josh has always been a solid teammate.  By burning his relatonship with Josh, Diggs separated himself somewhat from the rest of the team too.      

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brand J said:

The first time Allen has to sit in front of mics, I hope he has his opening Diggs speech rehearsed because 90% of the questions will be about their relationship. 

"who?"

"next question"

I saw this exchange 2 days ago and thought about posting this myself.. Here's my opinion on it: These analysts get into the "slower" parts of the NFL offseason, and are scraping for news. Something like that trade draws a ton of attention this time of year, with little on the NFL news front before the draft. Analysts capitalize and "sensationalize" this sort of story for views. Editorial monologues and aggressive debate over these little transaction surprises take up all of the air in the media and competition for clicks, ratings, whatever ensue... pure sports media offseason theatre.