2023 Bills Practice Squad Complete

ngbills

I did not know this and seeing this is a PS thread I would put it here in case there is others that didnt know this change occurred.  For some reason I thought I saw PS protections last year still. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Just a little something to keep in mind...and interesting in light of the Bills losing three of their cuts to waivers this year...

On a side note.  I wish the league would offer recoup of the draft pick if a Rookie is cut and claimed.  It makes it so hard to keep and develop later talent when you have a good roster build out.  They can easily do this before the compensatory picks are handed out.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-announce-moves-to-get-to-53-man-roster

Naming a player on IR in the preseason prevents them to come back on season.

Not 100% accurate per Sal (heard it around 11:30 today). Teams can make an injury settlement. Then, they need to wait three weeks (I assume three games at this point but he said three weeks). After the waiting period they can sign with any team. Sal suggests that this is likely what the Bills plan to do with Barkley and in the meantime sign another QB to the PS.

Edited by CA OC Bills Fan

Just now, MAJBobby said:

On a side note.  I wish the league would offer recoup of the draft pick if a Rookie is cut and claimed.  It makes it so hard to keep and develop later talent when you have a good roster build out.  They can easily do this before the compensatory picks are handed out.  

It’s the NFL equivalent of bidding $1 on the Price is Right. Just find a team that doing well and wait for their cuts.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

I am hoping for Austin and Broeker.  Austin probably has a roster spot, or an easier path to playing time elsewhere 

Two good players!! Hate to lose them 

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Game 1 inside info 😎

1 hour ago, Kmart128 said:

I dont necessarily think he looked better. Jace was signed pretty late so I dont think he had as much as a chance to prove himeself. I think Wilson is a better blocker but Sternberger is a better weapon.

When he isn't fumbling 

Of those listed so far, I'm happy about Andy Isabella, Tyrell Shavers, and DJ Dale.

I think the former could help the Bills with depth and special teams play this season, and I think the latter two are good young players that have a shot to contribute in future seasons. 

12 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Two good players!! Hate to lose them 

Game 1 inside info 😎

When he isn't fumbling 

Actually he was cut by the Jets in 2021 and spent camp with us this season lol

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

Of those listed so far, I'm happy about Andy Isabella, Tyrell Shavers, and DJ Dale.

I think the former could help the Bills with depth and special teams play this season, and I think the latter two are good young players that have a shot to contribute in future seasons. 

If DJ can stay healthy I'm intrigued as Alabama DTs have pretty good NFL careers. Even depth guys. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think the former could help the Bills with depth and special teams play this season

Well I guess the consolation prize for all the fans trying to wish and hope Isabella onto the roster is that he made PS and can be activated for the first 4 games if Shorter/Shakir go to short term IR.  

For the life of me I cannot make sense of the supposed ST prowess he exhibits.  Nothing at all in preseason, save for a fumble that popped into a team mates hands, and certainly nothing as a pro or even at UMass.  

Not a returner, not a gunner or up back either.  Probably why he didn't make the 53.  

Just now, MAJBobby said:

I am really interested in seeing what they do for the PS Arm.  Will they go young or Older vet

I think they should go young.  Free trial period, IMO.  Mainly bc Barkley is a fall back option in a few weeks (assuming he's released with inj settlement/ goes unsigned for the necessary timing)

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

If Isabella and Ankou are back and we can have up to six guys with more than 4 years (and therefore not subject to waivers) other vets one presumes in contention:

QB: Barkley

OG: Boettger

MLB: Klein

S: Marlowe

This would be perfect

1 hour ago, NickelCity said:

Tell me about Gouraige already. The kid has something.

I have always like him, another Florida prospect now on our team.  He had a very unusual injury right about the combine so he missed it, had he gone he would have probably been about a 6-7th rounder as it was he went undrafted.  Big guy, in his senior year allowed just one sack in 343 pass attempts.  Has limited athleticism but can move in and play guard.  If Shorter made the team we could have three of their offensive starters from last year. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If Isabella and Ankou are back and we can have up to six guys with more than 4 years (and therefore not subject to waivers) other vets one presumes in contention:

QB: Barkley

OG: Boettger

MLB: Klein

S: Marlowe

I'm not entirely ginned up on the PS rules (actually I try but they give me a headache).

However, the Bills placed Barkley on season-ending IR yesterday.

They can release him with an injury settlement, but then they are barred from signing him for 6 weeks AFTER the # of weeks in the injury settlement.  PRETTY SURE that includes a signing to the PS

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

Well I guess the consolation prize for all the fans trying to wish and hope Isabella onto the roster is that he made PS and can be activated for the first 4 games if Shorter/Shakir go to short term IR.  

For the life of me I cannot make sense of the supposed ST prowess he exhibits.  Nothing at all in preseason, save for a fumble that popped into a team mates hands, and certainly nothing as a pro or even at UMass.  

Not a returner, not a gunner or up back either.  Probably why he didn't make the 53.  

True, but he's also shown pretty much nothing as a receiver, both with the Cardinals and in this preseason.

I don't mind him being on the practice squad - he's fast even by NFL standards, and fast guys have some value even when they can't really play. (See also Foster, Robert.)  But I never bought the training camp hype for a second.  I think part of the problem was that once he got a positive review in a couple of camp reports, fans (who've heard of him, and find they're rooting for him even if they can't put their finger on why) started tweeting at reporters asking about Isabella.  From there, reporters started asking about Isabella in press conferences with McDermott & Allen.  The answers were pretty standard generically positive stuff, but gave the reports some positive-sounding quotes to include in their articles, tweets, etc.  Then the fans read the articles and become convinced that 1.) Isabella was charging up the depth chart, and 2.) Isabella would immediately be signed by another team if we cut him.

On the PS front itself, I'm happy about the Kirksey signing.  He takes one of our 6 veteran spots, but won't be there for long. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-announce-moves-to-get-to-53-man-roster

Naming a player on IR in the preseason prevents them to come back on season.

Guess there dome wiggle room when they agree to injury settlement if it's say4 weeks recovery he could resign after additional 4 weeks or so someone says that's how it works.

1 hour ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Thought Ateman and Johnson looked good in the preseason. I know we can’t keep everyone, but I’d rather have one of those guys over Shakir who struggled in training camp.

Would've liked to have signed him.

Only because I want to say "THROW HIM THE DAMN BALL!"

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Guess there dome wiggle room when they agree to injury settlement if it's say4 weeks recovery he could resign after additional 4 weeks or so someone says that's how it works.

I believe it's 6 weeks, and just to be clear the Bills haven't indicated an injury settlement with Barkley.

So the earliest Bills could resign Barkley would be injury settlement weeks + 6 weeks, 10 weeks in your example.

Edited by Beck Water

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.