Boogie traded to Giants

Rc2catch

I am a huge fan of Beane and McDermott overall, but they need to get more out their top 3 round picks.    The return on investment has not been there since 2019.    I know that not every team gets every draft pick, but when late round picks and practice squad pickups are routinely passing your high round picks on the depth chart, there is opportunity to improve.

I am glad that they at least were able to get an extra draft pick out of it if the other option was to cut him. 

Edited by dgrochester55

11 minutes ago, RunninRebel37 said:

Hmmm…when are folks gonna really be objective about his drafting. Outside of the 2018 draft, what’s he done? The core of this team was truly drafted by - wait for it…Doug Whaley 

Beane 1st & 2nd round picks 

2018- knocked it out the park obviously 

2019 - Oliver : description of mediocre/ Ford: bust 

2020- Diggs: he’s Him….not a draft choice but I’ll give it to Beane/ Epenesa: we’ll below average to borderline bust 

2021- Rousseau: average to slightly above average/ Bassham: bust 

2022- Elam: BUST/ Cook: TBD (but it’s not to question this pick since this teams used 3 valuable picks since 2019 to draft RB and not one has shown they’re an answer or complimentary for this team

The core of this team? Like who? Tre and Dawkins? Who else is there?

38 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

I think he should be put on a hot seat.  I would like Mcdermott to get more involved.  I have always though Mcdermott has been the better evaluator of talent.

How do you know the level of McD’s involvement in draft picks and player evaluation versus Beane’s, as it already stands?

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, RunninRebel37 said:

Hmmm…when are folks gonna really be objective about his drafting. Outside of the 2018 draft, what’s he done? The core of this team was truly drafted by - wait for it…Doug Whaley 

Beane 1st & 2nd round picks 

2018- knocked it out the park obviously 

2019 - Oliver : description of mediocre/ Ford: bust 

2020- Diggs: he’s Him….not a draft choice but I’ll give it to Beane/ Epenesa: we’ll below average to borderline bust 

2021- Rousseau: average to slightly above average/ Bassham: bust 

2022- Elam: BUST/ Cook: TBD (but it’s not to question this pick since this teams used 3 valuable picks since 2019 to draft RB and not one has shown they’re an answer or complimentary for this team

Top 100 picks/prospects is fairly common nomenclature in the NFL. Including their 3rd round picks don't help. 

2018-Allen - Great, big QB contract but for all the cap woes that bill has not come due

Edmunds - Pretty good, could not afford to keep

Philips - Quality DT. Also no longer on the roster do to cost. ($6.8M this season)

2019 - Oliver - I like Ed. But probably over paid. I think part of keeping him is the lack of keeping our top 100 picks

Ford - Sucks. Gone.

Singletary - Meh. Gone

Knox - He has been very good for us. Re-signed. 

2020- Diggs. Great. But the Bills get zero rookie contract value. He gets very expensive very soon. 

AJE - Meh on his best day. I suspect he gets re-signed though. 

Moss -Not great here. Gone already

2021- Rousseau- Really hoping this one pans out better given our investment at DE. 

Basham - Gone

Spencer Brown - TBD whipping boy. We need to upgrade RT still. 

2022- Elam: TBD, but is trending towards a really bad fit at best, and not a great player at worst. 

Cook: TBD , has flashed. Our 3rd RB taken in the top 100 in 4 years. 

Bernard: TBD is fairly generous here. But this class is still finding its footing. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 3

36 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

They also threw away a pick on Denzel Mims and Becton is looking pretty poor.

Moore too at pick 34.  Vera-tucker was starting to play well and got hurt too.  Their 3rd 1st rounder last year recorded 2.5 sacks too... but who's counting. 

Hall looks like he could be a good pick, but he blew out his knee and missed training camp so we'll see how that all goes.  

20 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Never really worked out either.  Addison, Klein, Tolbert, Benjamin, Webb, Johnson... 

They nailed it with Hodgins.  We shall see what happens with the others.  I consider Beasley in that mix too since he is a recent ex-Bill. 

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Top 100 picks/prospects is fairly common nomenclature in the NFL. Including their 3rd round picks don't help. 

2018-Allen - Great, big QB contract but for all the cap woes that bill has not come due

Edmunds - Pretty good, could not afford to keep

Philips - Quality DT. Also no longer on the roster do to cost. ($6.8M this season)

2019 - Oliver - I like Ed. But probably over paid. I think part of keeping him is the lack of keeping our top 100 picks

Ford - Sucks. Gone.

Singletary - Meh. Gone

2020- Diggs. Great. But the Bills get zero rookie contract value. He gets very expensive very soon. 

AJE - Meh on his best day. I suspect he gets re-signed though. 

Moss -Not great here. Gone already

2021- Rousseau- Really hoping this one pans out better given our investment at DE. 

Basham - Gone

Spencer Brown - TBD whipping boy. We need to upgrade RT still. 

2022- Elam: TBD, but is trending towards a really bad fit at best, and not a great player at worst. 

Cook: TBD , has flashed. Our 3rd RB taken in the top 100 in 4 years. 

Bernard: TBD is fairly generous here. But this class is still finding its footing. 

2019 you missed Knox at 96.  

If you go beyond those rounds too you'll see players like Taron Johnson, Siran Neal, Gabe Davis, Tyler Bass, Dane Jackson, Hamlin, Benford, and Shakir.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Was about to say. Beane had nothing to do with that. 

Beane has drafted Allen and that’s pretty much it. 

That’s literally all he’s done, except put the team in salary cap hell as bad as it was when he took over and gutted the roster.  Now he’s got himself a roster full of over paid Jags with Allen dragging their asses to wins.  We are witnessing the Aaron Rodgers/Brett Farve scenario all over again.  The only props I can give GB is they at least used picks on the OL too.   

Save yourself the time of trying to tell me 13 wins.  You can’t be all excited about that and also criticize every other team/QB for not winning championships.  The window is closing fast in the Bills, it’s time for a massive overhaul.  Facts are facts, Diggs is right.

• Angry 1

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

They nailed it with Hodgins.  We shall see what happens with the others.  I consider Beasley in that mix too since he is a recent ex-Bill. 

We'll see there - i know they like to pass short, but i suspect a lot of those shorter targets he was getting end up going to Waller (assuming he's healthy).  

43 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Makes me wanna cry we drafted this guy instead of Creed Humphrey

All GMs miss on picks. However it feels very different when a lot of knowledgeable fans are screaming for a player they’re excited fell to them, but instead the GM makes a WTF? pick. And then it works out like this. 

• Agree 2

Sort of on topic with the PSE thread. I am frustrated with Beane for his poor drafting overall in the top 100. But honestly, the Pegula's have been maybe the worst owners in NHL history with the longest playoff drought by nearly 2x the length in a league where over half the teams make the playoffs every year.

Until the wheels absolutely fall off and the car is in flames I am terrified of what could happen to this team if we have to build out a staff again. 

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Beane is great at hitting singles and doubles, but can't hit a homerun. That's the problem.

Huh?  Milano, Knox, Davis, T. Johnson, Bass are singles and doubles?  And he hit the biggest homerun of all in Allen.

Man, this board LOVES to exaggerate.  Yes, we all want Beane to hit on more of his 1-3 picks.  No question.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

2019 you missed Knox at 96.  

If you go beyond those rounds too you'll see players like Taron Johnson, Siran Neal, Gabe Davis, Tyler Bass, Dane Jackson, Hamlin, Benford, and Shakir.  

Who cares?  They are all JAGs.  You really want to point to greatness from selecting a bunch of guys that have jobs, fine.  The fact is, most of them wouldn’t even start on another team and absolutely none of them are actual difference makers. 

3 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

That’s a joke.   Beane is so overrated it’s not even funny.  Complete roster mismanagement and horrible draft after horrible draft, he may have been a scout, the guy should be handcuffed in a back room come draft day. 

To be fair, that draft class kinda sucked.  Only player of note drafted after boogie was Creed Humphrey, which I remember most of the MB wanting.  

2 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I don’t understand the logic of giving away an asset that can help your team win a Super Bowl this year. Keep the best players on your current roster, we’re not cardinals trying to tank for better picks next year

The thing is Beane is biting the bullet to keep the best players on the team.  Boogie was not one of them.

Miller, Floyd, Rousseau, Epenesa and Lawson are all better.  Heck, I think Jonathan Kingsley is better than Boogie.

How many DE's do they need?  Someone had to go, and I think the worse one was traded.

• Agree 1

Just now, eball said:

Huh?  Milano, Knox, Davis, T. Johnson, Bass are singles and doubles?  And he hit the biggest homerun of all in Allen.

Man, this board LOVES to exaggerate.  Yes, we all want Beane to hit on more of his 1-3 picks.  No question.

He didn’t draft Milano. He hit on Allen, which is all that matters to be honest.

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

All GMs miss on picks. However it feels very different when a lot of knowledgeable fans are screaming for a player they’re excited fell to them, but instead the GM makes a WTF? pick. And then it works out like this. 

Sometimes I feel like Beane and Co. try to overthink these scenarios and wanna look like the "smartest guy in the room" where he should have just gone for the safer bet

1 minute ago, eball said:

People need to stop giving Beane credit for drafting Milano. It was 100% Doug Whaley. Beane couldn't even find buffalo on a map when Milano was drafted.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

The thing is Beane is biting the bullet to keep the best players on the team.  Boogie was not one of them.

Miller, Floyd, Rousseau, Epenesa and Lawson are all better.  Heck, I think Jonathan Kingsley is better than Boogie.

How many DE's do they need?  Someone had to go, and I think the worse one was traded.

I hope you’re right brother. Boogie looked like he was turning a corner 

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Sort of on topic with the PSE thread. I am frustrated with Beane for his poor drafting overall in the top 100. But honestly, the Pegula's have been maybe the worst owners in NHL history with the longest playoff drought by nearly 2x the length in a league where over half the teams make the playoffs every year.

Until the wheels absolutely fall off and the car is in flames I am terrified of what could happen to this team if we have to build out a staff again. 

Yep, they are obviously loyal to fault.  After the last two years in the playoffs, the LAST thing they should have been looking at is extending both coach and GM.  They have no clue or don’t care about winning at all.  They (Kim) just wants the team(s) in Buffalo.   I guarantee they will sell off the Sabres and we’ll continue in with Marv Lewis 2.0 until Allen won’t sign an extension.

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

what has he won except division titles in one of the weakest conferences in the league?

I'm sorry? I think you meant divisions. The same division that sent 2 teams to the play offs the last 2 years. So.... you're wrong. 

"Beside from Division Titles" is an asinine statement considering it's very hard to win in the NFL.. They've won a few in a row. 

And you also realize only 2 teams go to the Super Bowl, correct? The team he helped assemble has been no less than the 5th best team in the league the last 3 years. 

51 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Yeah, definitely not a #1 defense.... they have nothing to do with how good we've been. Maybe if we had a better defense.... we'd win 13 games.

Oh wait.... 

defense has been garbage when it’s mattered the most unfortunately. Garbage in all three of our playoff exits, the last three seasons.

and now we’re playing with fire relying on so many older players at key positions.

Beane has completely failed at defensive line with so many assets invested in draft capital and yet he still had to go out and bring in Von Miller because none of those picks hit.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

I am a huge fan of Beane and McDermott overall, but they need to get more out their top 3 round picks.    The return on investment has not been there since 2019.    I know that not every team gets every draft pick, but when late round picks and practice squad pickups are routinely passing your high round picks on the depth chart, there is opportunity to improve.

I am glad that they at least were able to get an extra draft pick out of it if the other option was to cut him. 

I agree that I'd like to see the picks in the first three rounds succeed more consistently.

But the flip side of this is that it demonstrates that McDermott is not just blowing smoke when he says that who starts for the Bills depends on who plays the best, not on their draft position.  Seems to me that this is the right policy, and that it has to have a good effect on the players' motivation, both the high picks (who can't just assume they will start) and the low ones (who know they have a chance if they outplay the high picks). 

We see that with that relative positions of Benford vs. Elam on the team. Sure, I'd like to see Elam play and play well, prove his value as a first round pick, but clearly on game day McDermott wants the best players on the field. 

Just now, DCofNC said:

Who cares?  They are all JAGs.  You really want to point to greatness from selecting a bunch of guys that have jobs, fine.  The fact is, most of them wouldn’t even start on another team and absolutely none of them are actual difference makers. 

They're late round picks providing some quality depth.  TJ is a good nickel back in a primary nickel league.  Davis is a WR2, and will be paid as one next season.  Benford jackson and hamlin played a ton of snaps last year and our defense finished 6th in yards and 2nd in points per game. 

But i'm sure none of them could start anywhere...

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.