Conor Orr (from Si.com) and his prediction: Bills at 9-8 🤔

Italian Bills

I just did the Playoff Predictors game and was somewhat surprised by my results. I didn't look at records until I was done.

4. Miami 10-7   4-2 

9. Buffalo 9-8   4-2

10. NYJ    9-8   2-4

14. N.E    5-12  2-4

I hope I'm way off. I think the Bills would beat the London Jaguars at home but will lose overseas. Then I have them coming back flat from that trip and get beat by a visiting Giants team who had this game circled as soon as the schedule came out. You know Daboll wants to beat the clapper.

At least I see the patriots for the stink they are.

• Shocked 1

22 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

We're a better team than last year's squad.  This guy is crazy.

Why be mean?  Why?  We come here to share thoughts and opinions.  If nobody cares, why do we do this?  

Because he is a notorious Dolphins fan and troll, and has been for years under different monikers.  I am sick of his act.  That’s why.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

And that's the thing a lot of people in the media can't get past. It seems all 4 teams will be competitive. The outlooks is always the same..."The Bills are in trouble.". It's like only the Bills have to play 2 against the Pats, Jets and Fins. But they all play each other twitch and at some point of the season attrition will likely set in. One or two of the teams will possibly pull away from the others in head to head. The most likely scenario I see is the Jets giving Miami fits. That secondary may be a poor matchup for Miami. I see the Pats taking a game from each of the Jets and Fins. 

If Buffalo can manage 4-2 in the division I see that as a huge benefit. 

Yeah, not sure about the Jets and Fins.  Miami's taken 5 of the last 6 with their only loss having been last season when Skylar Thompson was playing in his first game, @ Jets.  Those two teams seem to consider the other the primary rivalry in the East.  It was Bills v. Miami years ago when it was Kelly/Marino.  

Also, it could be that the people you cite seem to think that McD's not as good a coach like so many in Mafia land seem to believe as part of their assessment.  

As for us, no reason to be concerned about the Fins, which Allen owns, and if we lose to the Pats it'll be our own fault.  But while we've beaten the Jets in 5 of our last 6 matchups over the past three seasons, last season they were our two worst games offensiveyl speaking, and we averaged only 18.5 PPG to their 16.  We averaged 29 PPG against them under Daboll scoring 27, 27, and 45 in three of those games in the two seasons prior.  We'll see what Dorsey has planned.  

Either way, IMO that first @ Jets game may end up being a lot more significant than many realize, per our exchange.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I don't think the Patriots will win the division, but I could see the Bills having a disappointing season.

With the difficult division games, I think we will split with Miami, sweep the Patriots, and we could either split with the jets or be swept.  The Jets defense has played the Bills really tough the last two years.

With the difficult non division games, I could see the Bills going 7-4 or 6-5.

Based on those potential outcomes, the Bills final season record could be anywhere from 11-6 to 9-8.

My biggest concern is the loss of Edmunds.  I was disappointing that no move was made to upgrade the middle linebacker position in the off season and instead we rolled the dice on existing players to fill the void.

All the people that bashed Edmunds on this board in the past will see what we had in Edmunds with our defense falling out of the top five this year.

Just my opinion.

I could give a flying **** where the D ranks.

Just make the big stop when required.

• Like (+1) 1

9-8 is a likely worse-case, would take Josh missing multiple games.  Just liking saying we go 15-2, possible but highly unlikely.

Division: 5-1.  there will be close games with all 3 teams but think we sweep Pats and Jets, lose 1 to Miami

Toughest 3 games: 1-2. Bengals/Chiefs/Eagles -this will be our true measuring stick, likely top 2 contenders in AFC again.  I see us beating Cincy, losing a very close game to Chiefs and another L to Philly

Tier 2 teams: 3-0.

Jax/Dallas/Chargers: I think Dallas will be the toughest game, Chargers will be close as well

Tier 3 teams: 2-0

Giants/TB.  Dabolls return.  I'm not a believer in Daniel Jones, and think Daboll overachieved (hence COTY award) LY.  Tampa's QB situation is horrible I'd be tempted to move them into Tier 4, and a Thursday night game in Buffalo will be huge advantage us.

Tier 4 teams: 3-0

Den/Raiders/WFT - these should be wins for many reasons, I guess anything is possible; just think we should win all 3 by double digits.

14-3.  I'm still a big believer in Dorsey improving his playcalling, and the run game/OL improvements.  Defensively, I think our secondary is being underrated again.  Mike linebacker is the only concern, but think it gets figured out one way or another.

12 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

Ok, everything in sport is possible, but com’on, calling the Bills at a 9-8 season it seem a little exaggerated to me. 

And plus the Pats winning the Division. 

I leave the link for you to see. 

Comments (honest) ?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/08/24/nfl-season-preview-predicting-every-game-daily-cover

This guy knows Bills fans eat this up like you just did and he’s looking for clicks. This is just one of those fan bases that so wants to be liked by the National Media and the National Media just uses Bills fans for their agenda.
It is what it is. Josh Allen alone gets this team double digit wins. 

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

I just did the Playoff Predictors game and was somewhat surprised by my results. I didn't look at records until I was done.

4. Miami 10-7   4-2 

9. Buffalo 9-8   4-2

10. NYJ    9-8   2-4

14. N.E    5-12  2-4

I hope I'm way off. I think the Bills would beat the London Jaguars at home but will lose overseas. Then I have them coming back flat from that trip and get beat by a visiting Giants team who had this game circled as soon as the schedule came out. You know Daboll wants to beat the clapper.

At least I see the patriots for the stink they are.

The Giants may actually finish last in their division depending on Sam Howell. Bills better not lose that game. 

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

It's a curious take and he knows it.  Of course, opinions are like anuses, and everyone has one.  

I think he's swinging for fences with his argument that Bill O' Brien will revitalize the offense and propel the Pats into first place of the AFCE.  No one will give you credit for picking the Bills.  We've owned the AFCE for a few years now.  Picking the Fins or Jets may be a sexy option because of the improvements to their rosters.  But if Orr is right about the Pats, he can lay claim to being the NFL's new Nostradamus.  

I think he is right about O’Brian making the Pats O respectable again. The problem is their schedule is just BRUTAL!  A 10-7 record for the Pats is the top of their potential. While 9-8 would be the wheels absolutely falling off for the Bills. I just don’t see that happening

7 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

He has the pats going 6-0 in the division lol 

This screams, I can't get past the Patriots are gonna be bad and teams like the bills and jets are gonna curb stomp them 

Much higher probability of the pats going winless in the division

The Pats have a 14-game winning streak against the Jets. Haven't lost to them since Dec 2015. 

12 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I don't think the Patriots will win the division, but I could see the Bills having a disappointing season.

With the difficult division games, I think we will split with Miami, sweep the Patriots, and we could either split with the jets or be swept.  The Jets defense has played the Bills really tough the last two years.

Based on those potential outcomes, the Bills final season record could be anywhere from 11-6 to 9-8.

My biggest concern is the loss of Edmunds.  I was disappointing that no move was made to upgrade the middle linebacker position in the off season and instead we rolled the dice on existing players to fill the void.

All the people that bashed Edmunds on this board in the past will see what we had in Edmunds with our defense falling out of the top five this year.

Just my opinion.

I’ve been saying the same thing as well. Receivers are going to be feasting in the middle of the field. Having Milano and a healthy Von Miller (at some point) certainly helps cover up some. Hopefully McD dials up a more aggressive defense and Rousseau keeps trending upwards. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yes we have a brutal schedule but this season is more about whether McDermott or Dorsey are worthy to keep their jobs.

Exactly with Sean McDermott but I think if the Buffalo Bills decide to move on from Sean McDermott Ken Dorsey will be the potential Buffalo Bills replacement head coach because Terry Pegula foolishly extended Sean McDermott. So the Buffalo Bills aren’t eating that kind of money with Highmark Stadium 2 over runs it’s not happening. I expect 12-5 this season for the Buffalo Bills but unfortunately losing to the Kansas City Chiefs again with Sean McDermott not having this football team prepared unfortunately. I hope I am wrong.

Just remember the Buffalo Bills aren’t spending a lot of money until the new stadium is opened producing revenues for PSE. The Buffalo Bills got there Stadium until it’s opens there is no incentive for PSE to spend unfortunately because they have cash problems according to John Warrow of AP News. John Warrow was on WGRZ channel 2 Town Hall talking about potential cuts to both the Buffalo Sabres and even the NLL champions Buffalo Bandits. And some Buffalo fans don’t understand why I don’t like Terry Pegula and am critical of him and PSE stuff like that is why. I shouldn’t be hearing about PSE money problems that isn’t normal owners who have stuff together don’t do that. Terry Pegula is alway crying to the media with his representatives and it’s getting old. I don’t care PSE has cash flow problems sell to Delaware North if you are that poor Terry Pegula if not zip it because I don’t care as a Buffalo Bills fan about your billionaire cash flow problems because you are incompetent running a sports business. Cheap crap like that is why. Punishing the Buffalo Sabres and Buffalo Bandits with cuts potentially because of the overpaid crap in the terrible designed and planned new Buffalo Bills stadium.

My prediction if PSE cuts stuff from the Buffalo Bandits and Buffalo Sabres potentially we Buffalo fans are going to be more critical of Terry Pegula and that new stadium even more. Shameful I couldn’t believe what I was hearing from John Warrow. If that happens there is no hope under PSE ownership for the Buffalo Bills sell the franchise. Cut the fancy Buffalo Bills players crap if there needs to be cuts to save money. I am tired as a Buffalo Bills fan hearing the players nonsense too your a team act like it. The Buffalo Bills players are paid enough already there locker room comforts don’t matter to me over the NLL champions Buffalo Bandits who are by the way Champions not pretenders like the Buffalo Bills. To Sean McDermott start acting like a head coach and leader. As a Buffalo Bills fan I don’t want to hear about Stefon Diggs and Josh Allen problems. I shouldn’t be hearing anything but the Buffalo Bills are here to win a Super Bowl championship for Buffalo that is it seems pretty simple to me. All this gets back to bad leadership at the top starting with PSE ownership Terry Pegula he is allowing all this nonsense to happen just remember that because of his poor leadership and management skills. If PSE can’t or won’t get it together sell the teams in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Eyeroll 2

6 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Lmao force of habit still am not use to 17 games.. not a real fan of odd numbers.

i suspect the NFL knows you arent

which is why they will 'reward' us with 'relief' when they move to 18

5 hours ago, FLFan said:

Don’t bother with your “official prediction.”  Literally no one cares.  

disagree

sometimes i watch CNN.  sometimes FOX.  sometimes MSNBC.  Sometimes BBC

I know what i'm getting before i choose it.  Sometimes i'm in the mood for a contrary opinion. 

Also, maybe its immaturity, but i do love to watch a fight.

1 hour ago, I am leaving for good said:

Exactly with Sean McDermott but I think if the Buffalo Bills decide to move on from Sean McDermott Ken Dorsey will be the potential Buffalo Bills replacement head coach because Terry Pegula foolishly extended Sean McDermott. So the Buffalo Bills aren’t eating that kind of money with Highmark Stadium 2 over runs it’s not happening. I expect 12-5 this season for the Buffalo Bills but unfortunately losing to the Kansas City Chiefs again with Sean McDermott not having this football team prepared unfortunately. I hope I am wrong.

Just remember the Buffalo Bills aren’t spending a lot of money until the new stadium is opened producing revenues for PSE. The Buffalo Bills got there Stadium until it’s opens there is no incentive for PSE to spend unfortunately because they have cash problems according to John Warrow of AP News. John Warrow was on WGRZ channel 2 Town Hall talking about potential cuts to both the Buffalo Sabres and even the NLL champions Buffalo Bandits. And some Buffalo fans don’t understand why I don’t like Terry Pegula and am critical of him and PSE stuff like that is why. I shouldn’t be hearing about PSE money problems that isn’t normal owners who have stuff together don’t do that. Terry Pegula is alway crying to the media with his representatives and it’s getting old. I don’t care PSE has cash flow problems sell to Delaware North if you are that poor Terry Pegula if not zip it because I don’t care as a Buffalo Bills fan about your billionaire cash flow problems because you are incompetent running a sports business. Cheap crap like that is why. Punishing the Buffalo Sabres and Buffalo Bandits with cuts potentially because of the overpaid crap in the terrible designed and planned new Buffalo Bills stadium.

My prediction if PSE cuts stuff from the Buffalo Bandits and Buffalo Sabres potentially we Buffalo fans are going to be more critical of Terry Pegula and that new stadium even more. Shameful I couldn’t believe what I was hearing from John Warrow. If that happens there is no hope under PSE ownership for the Buffalo Bills sell the franchise. Cut the fancy Buffalo Bills players crap if there needs to be cuts to save money. I am tired as a Buffalo Bills fan hearing the players nonsense too your a team act like it. The Buffalo Bills players are paid enough already there locker room comforts don’t matter to me over the NLL champions Buffalo Bandits who are by the way Champions not pretenders like the Buffalo Bills. To Sean McDermott start acting like a head coach and leader. As a Buffalo Bills fan I don’t want to hear about Stefon Diggs and Josh Allen problems. I shouldn’t be hearing anything but the Buffalo Bills are here to win a Super Bowl championship for Buffalo that is it seems pretty simple to me. All this gets back to bad leadership at the top starting with PSE ownership Terry Pegula he is allowing all this nonsense to happen just remember that because of his poor leadership and management skills. If PSE can’t or won’t get it together sell the teams in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

They’re not. Let me repeat. Not selling the Bills. They’ll unload every other asset before the Bills..

I like his predictions. Not because they're the most likely to become reality, but because he's trying to put in more effort into mixing it up rather than simply slotting everyone into the same positions as the previous year (like most analysts).

Going into each season, you see most predictions simply put the top 4-5 teams back on top, with divisions shaking out in a pretty similar way. They'll mix up a couple 3rd & 4th place teams, or maybe predict bigger things for an up & coming team, but overall it's pretty uninteresting.

This guy goes out & picks the Pats only improving 2 games, but winning a division that is closely fought. 

Some of his stuff looks the same as last year (like the AFC South & AFC West), but otherwise it seems he at least tried to get creative with some of the rankings & predict actual shakeups. So at least this guy's trying, even if I think he's wrong.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Exactly.  That is my concern.

on re-read, i think i see where my answer was vague in response to your post.

I mean to say there is no void to be filled. 

They will have come up with a different scheme that has no voids.  The idea of using what you have in the best way.  not putting square pegs in round holes.

18 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Just my opinion.

There is no way to prove any final association with the BILLS final defensive ranking related to edmunds SOLELY.  You have multiple factors;   WHITE may not ever return to prior form ; a first round draft pick may fail to progress and see the field with ELAM; VON MILLER MAY not return to prior form soon or at all; HYDE AND POYER are both coming off injury filled seasons and are aging;  BASHAM AND AJ may fail to progress ; FLOYD , a great signing imo , may not be used as well by mcd and not have his usual 9 plus sacks in his first year in a new system; the CB 2 position may have Jackson staying pat proving BEANE has issues with his drafts ;  poona FORD and Tim settle so far have been underwhelming as reported by people like cover 1 and that may harm the run D; PHILIPPS may not fully recover from his shoulder and other injuries issues that continue to plague him here; fraziers loss and mcd’s added burdens may result in more unexpected communication debacles like “13 seconds”. I mean we started the last preseason game with 12 first half penalties and the O started with 10 men on the field for heavens sake, proving once again this staff has communication issues ; the entire schedule is much tougher this year in terms of facing much better opponent QBs , with 2 divisional games now being against a future HOF QB in RODGERS;  and there has been no competent competition brought in to compete against DODSON AND BERNARD with NEITHER EVEN GRASPING THE STARTING MLB/ILB job yet and this is more a reflection on MCD& BEANE stubbornly failing to draft or bring in any real players with a history of past success at the position , relying on HOPE JUST AS THET ARE DOING RELATED TO SPENCER BROWN.   THERE are just too many factors at play to reach some predetermined conclusion that “ all the people that bashed EDMUNDS on this board “ are in any way wrong about their assessment of his play and worth. 

Edmunds is apparently having some issues of availability in CHICAGO early on , so it may have been  net positive to have let him walk after 5 YEARS of first hand evaluation of his so called stellar play. Let’s see how things play out for him in CHICAGO , before criticizing the BILLS STAFF FOR allowing him to in all likelihood be overpaid relative to his actual results and stats. Let’s see if he remains an impactful mlb for another team. My main point however , is there are too many compounding factors to say any defensive rank drop off is SOLELY RELATED TO MISSING EDMUNDS.   The ranking could drop for any or all of the reasons i cited theoretically, but the major issue is not having lost a good ( not exceptional LB), but the crazy HOPING by BEANE that his undersized draft pick Bernard would step right in after barely seeing the field last year.   There were some very adequate free agents who could have most likely adequately replace Edmunds , OR EVEN proven to be better replacements , yet BEANE let his ego dictate his replacement strategy , and that may be the most important reason behind any defensive rank drop!  BUT we will never really know with all the compounding factors , and if they march KLein out there as the week one starter, BEANE has no one to blame other than himself , and having watched EDMUNDS NON STELLAR PRODUCTION,  i would argue they were the ones who let him walk yet never adequately attempted to replace him , and that’s not the fault of ‘the fans who bashed EDMUNDS “  who was known for his trailing technique tackling much more so than him being some hard hitting LB who LEAD THE D TO STELLAR RESULTS.  

But we’ll never know pending the lackluster insight to attempt to replace him with players he had already beaten out and was superior too. That doesn’t mean he was irreplaceable , just more puzzling MCD Stubbornness,,,,but i could be wrong and only time will give us some clue to the truth.  I really like MILANO, but they don’t have any DARYL TALLEY , BENNETT, OR CONLAND, OUT THERE TO SUPPORT HIM , so its another year hoping instead of actively finding a replacement  who might  be a hard hitter as opposed to the soft EDMUNDS style we lived with far too long!  Lol !   Best wishes.  Go BILLS!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

If the Bills win the SB what Bills fan would be upset if McDermott returns?

I think bare minimum(injuries aside) this team has to make it to the AFC championship game… and not get its ass whipped in the “process” to not question if keeping McD is the right move.

By you suggesting fans are going to be mad when McD returns next season has me thinking you don’t believe this team wins in the playoffs? 

I'm covering IFs, not making predictions.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

If the Bills win the SB what Bills fan would be upset if McDermott returns?

I think bare minimum(injuries aside) this team has to make it to the AFC championship game… and not get its ass whipped in the “process” to not question if keeping McD is the right move.

By you suggesting fans are going to be mad when McD returns next season has me thinking you don’t believe this team wins in the playoffs? 

How good do you think this roster really is?

I was pretty optimistic in the offseason, but my doubts have been growing as the preseason has progressed.  I'm not confident anymore that we have one of the best two rosters in the AFC.  So I'm not confident we make it to the AFC championship game, even if McD coaches well.  

On 8/25/2023 at 3:36 AM, longtimebillsfan said:

Just my opinion.

Our team downgrading to below replacement level doesn't make Edmunds good. The plan should have never been to replace Edmunds with a trio of terrible prospects. It should have been to upgrade, and they didn't even try. Not even one legitimate signing for competition at the spot. Even if the defense is terrible this year, I'm still glad he's gone and that we won't be hampered with him and his insane contract over the long term. I expect the pan is to use a high pick next year to address the position.

• Haha (+1) 1

With this talent on the team there is absolutely zero excuse for being 9-8. But this is the NFL and several teams on our schedule have made presumptive improvements. Couple of slip ups or underwhelming performances and we could, tragically, be looking at 9-8 come season’s end. 

Do I think it happens? No. I believe it’ll be no less than a 11 win season but not by leaps and bounds. 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

They have a gaping hole at MLB…  and offensive line/WR is always a question mark…. outside of that they SHOULD be better everywhere else on the roster than last season… age could catch up to them quickly though… not sure what changed for you based on three preseason games.

Mostly the lines.  I thought Beane made some smart, economical signings to improve the trenches.  But Poona Ford, who I thought would be a useful run stuffer hasn't shined.  And I liked the Shell signing because I have little faith in Brown's health or ability.  I thought Shell could fill in if Brown faltered.  Now, with Shell gone, I'm really worried about OT.   And McGovern's injury has me worried about OG.  

I also worry about the age and health of our safeties, Tre's knee, and CB#2, among other things, though these aren't new.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

12 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Our team downgrading to below replacement level doesn't make Edmunds good. The plan should have never been to replace Edmunds with a trio of terrible prospects. It should have been to upgrade, and they didn't even try. Not even one legitimate signing for competition at the spot. Even if the defense is terrible this year, I'm still glad he's gone and that we won't be hampered with him and his insane contract over the long term. I expect the pan is to use a high pick next year to address the position.

I agree with your premise that it was a bad idea to try to fill the void at middle linebacker with those players on the current roster.  I also admire your dedication to a flawed but equally irrelevantly position IE: "Edmunds sucks."

2 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I agree with your premise that it was a bad idea to try to fill the void at middle linebacker with those players on the current roster.  I also admire your dedication to a flawed but equally irrelevantly position IE: "Edmunds sucks."

Yeah that post was a doozy 

Might be the only guy on earth who has NE winning the division and has both the Jets and the Dolphins under .500. And the Pats sweeping the Bills.

Not on the strength of the roster but that Bill O, BB, and oh yeah Mac Jones will get it all right at the expense of the other 3 teams. I didn’t read any other predictions this one alone was too rich🤓🧐😂!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.