IF the 49ers would take a 4th or later for Trey Lance, would you do it?

buffaloboyinATL

Would you give up a 4th round pick or later for Trey Lance?  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Would you give up a 4th round pick or later for Trey Lance?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would give up a pick higher than 4. (explain)

I know some here feel that backup QB is a weakness for the Bills this season.  I have no idea what the 49ers are willing to trade him for, but since he is a 3rd string QB on their roster, and they have a decent 4th QB right now, they may take less than I originally thought.  I personally would gladly trade a 4th or lower for him, because his style of play is a closer fit to Josh Allen than our current backups.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I would if I could but it would be contingent on a 2 year extension (acceptable base with lots of upside). Worst case scenario you have a solid backup for a few years. If he plays and succeeds, you have an elite trade chip. I think that it raises the floor on this team (he is better than Kyle Allen and Barkley). It potentially raises the ceiling if he shows out and they trade him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I would if I could but it would be contingent on a 2 year extension (acceptable base with lots of upside). Worst case scenario you have a solid backup for a few years. If he plays and succeeds, you have an elite trade chip. I think that it raises the floor on this team (he is better than Kyle Allen and Barkley). It potentially raises the ceiling if he shows out and they trade him.

He would not accept the 2 year extension. He will want to go somewhere to compete for a starting job. Atlanta, TB, Vikings etc would give him a better salary and an opportunity. 

This isn’t a Trubisky-type guy who needs to rehab his image. He hasn't played. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

He would not accept the 2 year extension. He will want to go somewhere to compete for a starting job. Atlanta, TB, Vikings etc would give him a better salary and an opportunity. 

This isn’t a Trubisky-type guy who needs to rehab his image. He hasn't played. 

Maybe, maybe not, he is in a similar situation to when Trubisky came to the Bills. He does need to rehab his image as apparently he is playing behind Darnold. MAYBE, someone like Atlanta, looks at him as a potential starter. If not, he needs to go to an established program and rebuild his value. Right now, the perception is, “he must not be very good.”

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Maybe, maybe not, he is in a similar situation to when Trubisky came to the Bills. He does need to rehab his image as apparently he is playing behind Darnold. MAYBE, someone like Atlanta, looks at him as a potential starter. If not, he needs to go to an established program and rebuild his value. Right now, the perception is, “he must not be very good.”

Hard disagree. I think his perception is much more "maybe he can still be good," than Trubisky was. Mitch had played 50 games for the Bears, there was a book out on him.

Lance is MUCH more unknown, imo.  That's a good thing for the Niners, honestly, because it drives his value up.

Trubisky didn't even have a trade market. We are talking about a fourth for Lance. That should be proof enough the situations are not the same.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nucci said:

he's either 3rd or 4th QB on 49ers. Why give up anything for him? If he couldn't beat out Darnold he can't be that good and will probably be released

It is possible that part of why he "is not good" is because of the offense that Shanahan runs.  It may require a more cerebral QB, like Purdy and Darnold, to run it effectively.  This does not mean that Lance couldn't be successful in a different system.  If the price was low enough, and we could work out the contract to have him as a backup for a couple of years, it might be worth a look.  

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, FireChans said:

No. We wouldn’t pick up his option and we wouldn’t re-sign him. Why rent a backup project? 

He is under contract for two years. Compared to Barkley and Kyle Allen who are on one-year deals. What if develops into a serviceable backup?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

He is under contract for two years. Compared to Barkley and Kyle Allen who are on one-year deals. What if develops into a serviceable backup?

Why would we dedicate much money for a serviceable backup? 

There are 21 other positions I’d rather spend money on.

2 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

At $3.7 million this year and $5.3 next year all guaranteed, that's a hard NO.  https://overthecap.com/player/trey-lance/9467

Year         Base Salary     Roster Bonus    Total Salary

2023        $940,000       $2,820,478        $3,760,478        

2024        $1,055,000    $4,255,717         $5,310,717        

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Special K said:

If a team is willing to get rid of a guy that they traded three first round picks for, what does that tell you about his abilities?

If a smart team spent three first round picks on a guy, what does that say about his raw talent level?  See how that works?

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I know some here feel that backup QB is a weakness for the Bills this season.  I have no idea what the 49ers are willing to trade him for, but since he is a 3rd string QB on their roster, and they have a decent 4th QB right now, they may take less than I originally thought.  I personally would gladly trade a 4th or lower for him, because his style of play is a closer fit to Josh Allen than our current backups.

Absolutely not for a 4th.  He lost his job to Mr. Irrelevant and then got beat out by a QB who sees ghosts and flopped as a starter since he’s been in the league and is now on his 3rd team in the last 3 or 4 years.

So no way am I giving up a 4th for a guy who couldn’t even win a backup job with the team that drafted him.  

If he was cut, sure bring him in to compete.  But we need our picks with our cap limitations moving forward, not risking a decent pick on a QB who’s yet to show any potential and couldn’t beat out Sam Darnold as a backup.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Legit question…How is worst case scenario him being a solid backup?  

That’s the best case scenario.  The team that invested 3 first round picks in him didn’t think he was a solid backup and chose journeyman Sam Darnold over him as the backup.

He has not shown anything yet to suggest he can even be a solid backup.  So worst case is that we waste a 4th round pick on him and he is worse than what we have and he is cut.  Best case is he is a solid backup behind Allen, something he’s get to prove and just failed to achieve with the team that drafted him and invested a ton of draft capital in him.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I agree with this.  He would jump at an extension.

You would have to take him for a 4th--Bills have no viable backup right now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

It is possible that part of why he "is not good" is because of the offense that Shanahan runs.  It may require a more cerebral QB, like Purdy and Darnold, to run it effectively.  This does not mean that Lance couldn't be successful in a different system.  If the price was low enough, and we could work out the contract to have him as a backup for a couple of years, it might be worth a look.  

Then Lynch and Shanahan should have know this before giving up so much to draft him

He is just too raw, has pretty much no experience and at best you put him on the practice squad. San Fran really screwed the pooch trading up.

for those who voted yes... WTF? Are you high!!!!!!!!!  and by high I don't mean MJ cause MJ users wouldn't do it, its the glue sniffers

Edited by ddaryl

No, because a perfect backup is a capable guy who is polished, experienced, can give you 2 & 2 in a 4 game stretch.  

Your third is a later round developmental guy who needs work.  That’s what he is at the end of the day.  You don’t trade for a 3rd place project.  You just don’t.  If you see a guy in the 5th rd next year in the draft who has saw talent you can develop over 4 years, you do it.

Youre second is like a Trubisky guy, or Keenum, or Bridgewater.  Bridgett and so on.  The 2nd string guy doesn’t have to have a style like Josh because there is only one of him.  So a pocket

guy is fine for a couple of games.  Someone who makes good decisions.  I was a little disappointed Fitzy last year didn’t want to finish with us to hang out for the year.  When we are blowing out teams, he’d get a standing ovasion for mop up duty.  He’s moved on and good for him as he’s done a nice job on Prime.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, nucci said:

Then Lynch and Shanahan should have know this before giving up so much to draft him

They did their research in that regard. Lance scored a 40 on his wonderlic exam and ranks close to Purdy in other cognitive tests. I’m not how the person you replied to even had that thought. 

14 minutes ago, Dopey said:

They did their research in that regard. Lance scored a 40 on his wonderlic exam and ranks close to Purdy in other cognitive tests. I’m not how the person you replied to even had that thought. 

a wonderlic exam doesn't determine if you can play QB in the NFL

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

At $3.7 million this year and $5.3 next year all guaranteed, that's a hard NO.  https://overthecap.com/player/trey-lance/9467

Year         Base Salary     Roster Bonus    Total Salary

2023        $940,000       $2,820,478        $3,760,478        

2024        $1,055,000    $4,255,717         $5,310,717        

I believe that the roster bonus for this year has been paid already, but the one next season kills any thought of the deal. No way would I take on that guarantee. Even if SF ate that too, I'm still not interested. Because if Kyle Shanahan can't make anything out of him, then I have zero faith that Dorsey can. Also Sam Darnold just beat him out for QB2. SMH. So even though Barkley is hot garbage and Kyle Allen is just a tad better than hot garbage, I'll pass.

As some had posted above, Lance would be fine as a 3rd QB and/or Practice Squad development type of player, but, right now, he would not help the Bills more than Barkley or Kyle Allen.  He is more physically talented than those guys, but the Bills backup needs to be a guy that can learn a new playbook that is said to be complex, and step onto the field in an emergency situation and run the offense with some level of confidence and competence.  In his opportunities in SF, Lance has not demonstrated any of that.  He's not even good enough (at this point in his career) to be the backup QB on a team he's been with for 3 seasons and thus presumably already knows the playbook, which I believe is a fairly simple one (other backups in SF have picked it up).  How would he suddenly be able to come in and contribute to the Bills - a brand new playbook?  So, sure, if you can get him for a 7th round pick, or as a released player/street FA, bring him in to kick the tires and see if you have a developmental guy, but don't bring him in to play anytime soon.

• Like (+1) 1

4th is way too high for a guy that lost the backup job to Sam Darnold and who is on a relatively expensive deal for a player who flamed out so far. That said, I'd absolutely give up a 5/6/7 for him.

Beane wastes a lot of those picks anyway and he does two things for the Bills. He gives us some possible upside in the event Allen were to go down. We know with 100% certainty that if Allen goes down this year, we aren't winning without him. While that's 99.9% true even if Lance is here, it's still a way better shot than with Kyle Allen or Barkley.

The second reason is that is if we can turn him into a reclamation project, he could be worth an absolute haul in trade value. A QB that can play could be worth a 1st round pick+ and that could have a monster positive benefit for our team as cap gets tighter and premium picks go up in value. I would 100% bring him in based on that.

22 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

As some had posted above, Lance would be fine as a 3rd QB and/or Practice Squad development type of player, but, right now, he would not help the Bills more than Barkley or Kyle Allen.  He is more physically talented than those guys, but the Bills backup needs to be a guy that can learn a new playbook that is said to be complex, and step onto the field in an emergency situation and run the offense with some level of confidence and competence.  In his opportunities in SF, Lance has not demonstrated any of that.  He's not even good enough (at this point in his career) to be the backup QB on a team he's been with for 3 seasons and thus presumably already knows the playbook, which I believe is a fairly simple one (other backups in SF have picked it up).  How would he suddenly be able to come in and contribute to the Bills - a brand new playbook?  So, sure, if you can get him for a 7th round pick, or as a released player/street FA, bring him in to kick the tires and see if you have a developmental guy, but don't bring him in to play anytime soon.

He hasn't been there 3 seasons. He's been there 2. The first year he was a backup and didn't play. The next he was on IR nearly the entirety of the season. it's been well documented by NFL players that guys on IR are effectively treated like they aren't even on the team. Any study he would have been doing would have to have been independent most likely

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.