Thoughts on Anthony Richardson?

Lost

Every year you hear about guys who were crazy college athletes who flame out in a few years. 
90 percent of the game is mental and not physical which is why the two guys who are regarded as the greatest to ever player Mr Brady and Mr Montana had the athletic ability of a snail. 
Anthony seems like a good kid we will see once defensive coordinators start taking away his running lanes. 

8 hours ago, PBF81 said:

That's the rule though, not the exception.  

I don't disagree.  

And here are his negatives according to NFL.com's draft profile;  

- Inconsistency and inaccuracy made it hard for him to have sustained success.

- Could use a better feel for the timing of his progressions.

- Needs to take some spice off short throws.

- Below average touch and ball placement rolling out.

- Hasn’t learned to manipulate coverage with his eyes.

- Struggles to paint intermediate zone holes with anticipatory throws.

- Accuracy issues are often a function of poor footwork.

- Loses track of coverage and will throw into danger.

- Too willing to flip the ball out instead of taking a sack.

From another draft profile; 

Weaknesses:

- Extremely inaccurate as a passer

- Consistently misses routine completions

- Has a lot of passes go high

- Needs to improve ability to make finesse throws

- Struggles to throw a catchable ball in the short to intermediate field

- Can get rattled by his own play, defenses, the flow of the game

- Sometimes holds the ball too long

- Ball security

- Decision-making needs to improve

- Plays down to opponents

- Struggled against good defenses

- Inexperienced; only 1-year starter

Those are very difficult things, particularly collectively, to coach up to the extent that he'll be worth the 4th overall pick.  

Lol. Is that Richardson or Allen's pre-draft assessment???

None of these guys including Beane have a clue which QBs will be stars and which will be busts.

Sure most people would say intelligence is a must but Kelly, Favre, and Marino are some of the dumbest guys to star at the position. 

Some moron drafted Manziel in the first round and half this board thought he was going to be a star.

Should be fun to see it play out.

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

None of these guys including Beane have a clue which QBs will be stars and which will be busts.

Sure most people would say intelligence is a must but Kelly, Favre, and Marino are some of the dumbest guys to star at the position. 

Some moron drafted Manziel in the first round and half this board thought he was going to be a star.

The thing with Allen.. is playing at Wyoming he just didn't have the people around him to consistently put up big time stats

NFL wide receivers have a problem catching his ball.. of course borderline division 1 prospects at Wyoming would struggle to make him look good

Anthony Richardson played with SEC talent on the offensive line at wide receiver and running back.. Josh's jump to higher competition was unknown because nobody knew how he would react to better players around him

Anthony Richardson plays with SEC players

I think his athleticism gives him a decent floor of being a long-term backup option... And if he could refine some nuances in his game.. he could absolutely be better than Lamar

• Like (+1) 1

I thought he was the most likely bust of any QB in the draft. Watching him as a passer at Florida was hard. He can't throw from the pocket. His accuracy is poor. Decision making is poor. Having said this, I never thought much of Lamar in the NFL and still don't. To a much lesser degree Hurts. These are all guys in college that really depended on running, athleticism, and broken plays. Josh even depended on this cocktail to varying degrees in his career.  Perhaps the game is changing to where some of these super athletic QB's can have success without being the best at reading defenses and hanging in the pocket. The game wasn't like that for the last 20+ years. That style was the "bust" style for all but a couple. I think Hurts, like Allen, is actually developing in a much more traditional way and I have changed my mind on him. Lamar not so much. 

I will leave the bust label on Richardson for now.   

Edited by Mikie2times

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The thing with Allen.. is playing at Wyoming he just didn't have the people around him to consistently put up big time stats

NFL wide receivers have a problem catching his ball.. of course borderline division 1 prospects at Wyoming would struggle to make him look good

Anthony Richardson played with SEC talent on the offensive line at wide receiver and running back.. Josh's jump to higher competition was unknown because nobody knew how he would react to better players around him

I think his athleticism gives him a decent floor of being a long-term backup option... And if he could refine some nuances in his game.. he could absolutely be better than Lamar

Agree with everything you stated.

I would only add just as Allen didn't have great talent around him, he wasn't competing against great talent either. 

Richardson was my top QB choice coming out of college.  Can't teach size and arm strength.  

But I reiterate none of these guys know.  None of them.  Everyone of them passed on Brady multiple times including Belichick five times.  Bill Walsh thought Trent Edwards was the next Montana.They don't know. 83 draft had three HOF players, two below average but not entirely busts, and one absolute bust. Perhaps the best one of the six was taken last. 

14 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Eh, I agree to a point… Not everyone in the SEC is Alabama or Georgia.   Or even Tennessee… he didn’t have a Tillman or Hyatt.  

He had an ok OL, led by Torrence.  RB’s were good.   However at WR/TE, their best WR was a slot guy, followed by our RD6 pick in Shorter. 

Edited by SCBills

14 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Agree with everything you stated.

I would only add just as Allen didn't have great talent around him, he wasn't competing against great talent either. 

Richardson was my top QB choice coming out of college.  Can't teach size and arm strength.  

But I reiterate none of these guys know.  None of them.  Everyone of them passed on Brady multiple times including Belichick five times.  Bill Walsh thought Trent Edwards was the next Montana.They don't know. 83 draft had three HOF players, two below average but not entirely busts, and one absolute bust. Perhaps the best one of the six was taken last. 

Absolutely

Josh Allen wasn't my favorite quarterback prospect in that draft... But it was easy to see that he had the highest ceiling out of all of them if coaching with his work ethic clicked

The stuff he was doing in the mountain West with not great supporting cast.. was borderline criminal

My buddy was a Denver broncos scout and he said elway really was enamored with him... Just was too afraid to pull the trigger

Elway thought he was watching a young version of himself

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Ehhh… Not everyone in the SEC is Alabama or Georgia.   Or even Tennessee… he didn’t have a Tillman or Hyatt.  

He had an ok OL, led by Torrence.  RB’s were good.   However at WR/TE, their best WR was a slot guy, followed by our RD6 pick in Shorter. 

Dude you don't comprehend how good all division one football players are

Every single football player at UB is insanely good... Insane... That just shows you how good the people at Georgia and Alabama are... Mississippi State Florida Ole Miss are all stacked with talented football players

Every single kid at Florida was a four-star five-star or high major three-star recruit.. that's high major 3*

Those aren't bums.. Wyoming is trotting out zero star recruits who technically get two stars because they get a D1 offer with a few mid major 3* 

Florida gators still have insane talent for 18-22 year olds

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Absolutely

Josh Allen wasn't my favorite quarterback prospect in that draft... But it was easy to see that he had the highest ceiling out of all of them if coaching with his work ethic clicked

The stuff he was doing in the mountain West with not great supporting cast.. was borderline criminal

My buddy was a Denver broncos scout and he said elway really was enamored with him... Just was too afraid to pull the trigger

Elway thought he was watching a young version of himself

Dude you don't comprehend how good all division one football players are

Every single football player at UB is insanely good... Insane... That just shows you how good the people at Georgia and Alabama are

Every single kid at Florida was a four-star five-star or high major three-star recruit.. that's high major 3*

Those aren't bums.. Wyoming is trotting out zero star recruits who technically get two stars because they get a D1 offer with a few mid major 3* 

Florida gators still have insane talent for 18-22 year olds

And Florida also plays one of the toughest schedules in CFB. 

I certainly buy the accuracy/numbers being down due to Allen playing in bad weather, with lower level players …. I’m not arguing that. 

I am saying AR played on a talent bereft (for the SEC) offense last year at UF.  And played a tough schedule with a new coaching staff. 

He could flame out, but this isn’t like evaluating Tua out of college with that type of talent around him. 

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

And Florida also plays one of the toughest schedules in CFB. 

I certainly buy the accuracy/numbers being down due to Allen playing in bad weather, with lower level players …. I’m not arguing that. 

I am saying AR played on a talent bereft (for the SEC) offense last year at UF.  And played a tough schedule with a new coaching staff. 

He could flame out, but this isn’t like evaluating Tua out of college with that type of talent around him. 

Listen I'm not here trying to hate on Anthony Richardson

Everybody here knows I'm a players and coaches guy because I still coach and scout

I think Anthony Richardson has all the talent in the world... There's a reason why every single time Florida was on TV the commentators drooled about Anthony Richardson

It's because scouts love his talent.. but he has to refine some things

Him and Josh are the combination of 30 years of putting your best athlete at quarterback

I watched 1 game of his last year. All be it, it was one of his better games and I immediately put $100 on him to be the 1st overall pick @ 100-1 odds. This was back in October-November. He may be rough around the edges, but his size and athleticism jumped off the screen. For my money he should've been the 1st pick (of course I was a bit biased after placing my bet!)

12 hours ago, wppete said:

He looks impressive. If he is coached well and protected well I think he has a bright future. The Colts have the blueprint from the Bills and how the coaches up Josh Allen. Excited to see him play. He was my favourite QB in the draft. 

If only Brian Daboll could've gotten his hands on him... 

12 hours ago, NewEra said:

Impressive athlete.  Terrible QB.  

He landed in what I believe is the best possible spot for himself, with Shane Steichen.  

We’ll find out if Steichen is the truth with this guy.  

Giants?? 

12 hours ago, Cray51 said:

I find him to have a much higher chance of “bust” over all pro.  He has tools, but struggles reading defenses which - imo - is the single most critical factor in high end QB play.

The other thing is - he is a big dude, but is he going to run with that emphasis that Allen does.  Will he carry that reckless abandon into the NFL, so he can be a dynamic rushing threat.

I absolutely think he is a stash in a QB keeper situation, as he has a small chance of putting it all together. However, I’m not convinced he can

Kinda like the RB named Lamar Jackson 😎

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think there are more options than just the two.

He's basically an athletic freak that they're going to try to mold into an NFL QB.

Most of these projects don't work out and I honestly think that Josh Allen has helped these types of QB's because of his success.

Great big athletic QBs with big arms have been sought after since the dawn of time. Allen had nothing to do with it. 

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Since you ask, here's Allen's from one ofthe same two sources, I can't find the nfl.com one for Allen.  I've deleted the identical ones.  Here's what's left from each.  My take on Allen, and I was one of the critics when we drafted him, was that I held out hope that he could improve because he is incredibly bright.  As I recall he got a 41 on the wonderlic, which they don't do anymore I don't think, and was the highest scoring QB.  Richardson is far from that.  He got a 79 on whatever the test is now, while numerous other QBs scored in the 90s.  This is simply the higher profile QBs, not every QB in the draft.  https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-draft-rumors-wonderlic-replacement-s2-test-scores-leaked-bryce-young-highest-for-qbs-c-j-stroud-lowest/

But what I noticed about Richardson's weaknesses, which is the first thing I look at for any draftee, was can they easily be coached out.  I'm not seeing that with Richardson.  He also had only three games in college with 3 or more passing TDs, and two of those games weren't generally good passing otherwise.  The one that was was against Vanderbuilt which had the 125th ranked D out of 131.  

Weaknesses (Allen):

- Has accuracy issues

- Throws too many interceptions

- Played at a low level of competition

- Concerns about production and ability to be a clutch performer

Weaknesses (Richardson): 

Weaknesses:

Those are some pretty egregious weaknesses.  

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

That's fair, but in that light, Allen is an exception, far from a rule.  But again, it was his smarts that allowed him to become who he is.  It always is interesting to see how it plays out.  I wouldn't bet a confederate dollar that Richardson becomes much.  Then again, the odds are in favor of that, so it's not really a bold statement.  LOL  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PBF81 said:

He was among the SEC's worst passers.  

That's why Shorter may be underrated.  

Josh is a whole lot more intelligent than almost all QBs coming out though too.  

I saw a pre-draft video showing how his receivers at Florida dropped a lot of his passes. Some because he didn't put the proper "touch" on his throws

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I saw a pre-draft video showing how his receivers at Florida dropped a lot of his passes. Some because he didn't put the proper "touch" on his throws

Did we draft one of those guys?  

9 hours ago, PBF81 said:

That's the rule though, not the exception.  

I don't disagree.  

And here are his negatives according to NFL.com's draft profile;  

- Inconsistency and inaccuracy made it hard for him to have sustained success.

- Could use a better feel for the timing of his progressions.

- Needs to take some spice off short throws.

- Below average touch and ball placement rolling out.

- Hasn’t learned to manipulate coverage with his eyes.

- Struggles to paint intermediate zone holes with anticipatory throws.

- Accuracy issues are often a function of poor footwork.

- Loses track of coverage and will throw into danger.

- Too willing to flip the ball out instead of taking a sack.

From another draft profile; 

Weaknesses:

- Needs to improve ability to make finesse throws

- Ball security

- Decision-making needs to improve

- Struggled against good defenses

Those are very difficult things, particularly collectively, to coach up to the extent that he'll be worth the 4th overall pick.  

Sounds like some scouts opinions of Josh Allen coming out of Wyoming

10 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

He will run for a lot of yards tomorrow.  The Bills will be evaluating pass rushers and won’t play to contain Richardson in the pocket.

I'm going to give the nod to the Bills backup D-line. Epenesa, Ray, Shaq, Ankou. Pretty good depth

18 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I saw a pre-draft video showing how his receivers at Florida dropped a lot of his passes.  Some because he didn't put the proper "touch" on his throws

Yeah, that "touch" appears to be a serious issue.  I'm sure there were some drops, every team has them.  His top two receivers were Pearsall and Shorter.  How many drops did they have?   From what I've read, Shorter doesn't seem to be the type of WR that drops a lot of balls.  Seems like the opposite.  

What's interesting is that I just watched a few Richardson lowlight and other videos.  Some of his passes were real headscratchers.  Here's one of the videos;  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI04TAmrqD8

BTW, pay close attention to what he says beginning at the 8 minute mark.  That's my thought as well.  I sense a Jamarcus Russell/Vince Young career trajectory.  

You shouldn't walk away from that video thinking that a few drops were the reasons why he'll struggle in the NFL.  

Either way, I don't really care all that much about a Colts QB.  If he's great, wonderful.  If not, same.  One of his most common descriptors seems to be "polarizing."  

Edited by PBF81

11 hours ago, Chaos said:

and none have anywhere Richardson's physical skill set. 9) Albany,n.y. 17%

Considering my age and physical condition, I'm pretty happy to come within a point of the 2nd player taken in the draft.  My reflexes and reaction times were a lot better 50 years ago.

22 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think there are more options than just the two.

He's basically an athletic freak that they're going to try to mold into an NFL QB.

Most of these projects don't work out and I honestly think that Josh Allen has helped these types of QB's because of his success.

The biggest mistake the pundits make these days is using Josh Allen as an example of why guys like Richardson (and Trey Lance, etc.) could/should be great.  What they fail to comprehend is that Josh Allen is not just about the physical tools…his mind is also All-Pro.

I have no idea what Richardson is capable of, but saying “look at what Josh Allen did” as your rationale for optimism is like searching for fool’s gold.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

23 hours ago, Lost said:

I don't watch much college ball so I really knew anything about this guy until I saw Chris Brown and Tasker talking about him on One Bills Live.  Guy is built like a linebacker and appears to have an arm like Allen.   Anyone here watched him in college that can provide some insight on what kind of player he is since we'll be seeing a lot of him on Saturday?  Is he future all pro or bust?

Lost, there are a lot of comparisons to Allen with Richardson as they are of the same dimensions and raw talent.  I saw a lot of him as the Gators are always on in Tampa during the college season.

It’s a leap though.  What makes Allen, Super Allen is his drive to be the best.  His relentless off season training by Palmer etc.  Allen grew more that I’ve ever seen anyone grow as a QB and I’m 55.

Richardson can grow, but it will take that type of drive and passion for the game.  We’ll all look back on Allen as a freak of nature someday.  I’ll probably never see a WB like him again.  Even Mahomes came out more polished as a rookie.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I'm intrigued by his freak athleticism.

However, I think the odds of him being good are stacked against him.

People compare him to Allen because of what the two have in common: (a) alien-like physical attributes, (2) high character and (d) poor passing statistics in college.

However, Richardson had much better opportunities to succeed in college than Allen did. Played for an SEC program with SEC coaches and SEC talent surrounding him.

Allen never had that luxury.

2 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I'm intrigued by his freak athleticism.

However, I think the odds of him being good are stacked against him.

People compare him to Allen because of what the two have in common: (a) alien-like physical attributes, (2) high character and (d) poor passing statistics in college.

However, Richardson had much better opportunities to succeed in college than Allen did. Played for an SEC program with SEC coaches and SEC talent surrounding him.

Allen never had that luxury.

Yeah, I’d like to find time to do random research on that. How many mediocre college QB’s from elite conferences went on to become great NFL QB’s? I can’t think of any off the top of my head, but there are plenty of mid major program guys who fit the bill. 

17 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Yeah, I’d like to find time to do random research on that. How many mediocre college QB’s from elite conferences went on to become great NFL QB’s? I can’t think of any off the top of my head, but there are plenty of mid major program guys who fit the bill. 

Tom Brady - mediocre career at Michigan is debatable 

drew Bree’s I thought was prolific at Purdue 

warren moon at Washington ?

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, bouds said:

Had one really nice throw to Pierce. Other than that there wasn’t much. But that one throw was really good. Let’s see, he’s going to be up and down.  

I just don’t think he’s going to get much help from the skills positions and a rookie HC (albeit a QB friendly one)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.