NFL coach ‘not sure’ Bills’ Josh Allen can consistently win as a passer

sonyab1974

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I mean there are Bills fans who believe this

Bills fans, in general, aren't the brightest.

3 hours ago, Airseven said:

Nothing wrong with the quote. Allen belongs in “tier 2.” And yes, the issue with him remains inconsistency, primarily related to accuracy and decision making. 

Silence, dolphins fan

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, AlfaBill said:

He did throw a bad pass at Miami in week three that could’ve been the winner. That said JA is a top tier QB. 

Yeah, he could have won that game, but the entire team was enduring heat stroke.  It's a testament to their grit that they came that close under those circumstances.

10 hours ago, sonyab1974 said:

Proverbs 26:4

Do not answer a fool according to his folly,

or you yourself will be just like him.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, K-9 said:

.680 winning percentage as a starter overall, .723 since his rookie year. Yeah, he can’t win consistently as a passer. 

I think the point was that because so much of Allen’s game is predicated on running, physicality, and overall athleticism, it bumps him out of the elite “passer” tier for this particular list. That if he had to be a pure passer (and couldn’t run), he wouldn’t execute with enough consistency to be considered tier 1. I’m not sure why that’s so offensive.

3 minutes ago, Airseven said:

I think the point was that because so much of Allen’s game is predicated on running, physicality, and overall athleticism, it bumps him out of the elite “passer” tier for this particular list. That if he had to be a pure passer (and couldn’t run), he wouldn’t execute with enough consistency to be considered tier 1. I’m not sure why that’s so offensive.

It's not so much offensive as it is indicative of not really understanding what you're looking at

He's not running to make up for any deficiencies in his passing game, he's running because he's behind a terrible offensive line and outside Diggs a bunch of guys who can't get open reliably

• Thank you (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I love him, but his completion % needs to be closer to 70% like it was a few years ago.  Having WR's actually catch certainly helps 

And we are surprisingly very low in YAC.  We were 32nd in 2021 and in the late 20's in 2022.  The Kansas City Chiefs (#1) had a whopping 1000 yards more in YAC than the Bills.  Such a huge gap

26 minutes ago, Airseven said:

It’s not so much offensive as it’s inaccurate and poorly researched. Allen has had numerous games where he showed himself to be an elite passer. Case in point being the only QB in history to orchestrate a perfect offensive game like he did against the Patriots*** in the playoffs. Looks like whomever said this about Allen hasn’t watched enough of his games, especially his come from behind games that depended solely on his passing ability. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

He had a line that edged out the chiefs in 2020 and we still lost to KC. Allen is a very good QB, but the difference between him and Mahomes is more than O-line play. If Mahomes retired today, he'd already be one of the greatest of all-time. Allen isn't in that conversation and his star would fade rather quickly as he'd be remembered more for potential than accomplishments thus far.

Superbowl wins matter. 

But so does consistent long term success. 

People will remember Phillip Rivers and Eli Manning. Rivers was the better QB. Eli had more special moments and obviously two Lombardis. 

Eli will probably be a first ballot HOF inductee. Rivers probably takes a few years. 

Mahommes is a first ballot HOF guy too. 

Allen will be as well when he wins our hometown a couple Lombardis.

11 hours ago, Gregg said:

Yup. Josh is to blame for 13 seconds. He is also to blame for the minor league OL we have had the past few seasons. Trade him to the Jets for Zach Wilson. We will have to throw in our 1st round pick in 2024 otherwise the Jets won't do the deal :)

Yeah... this coach missed that AFCCG v the Chiefs altogether 😎

41 minutes ago, ganesh said:

And we are surprisingly very low in YAC.  We were 32nd in 2021 and in the late 20's in 2022.  The Kansas City Chiefs (#1) had a whopping 1000 yards more in YAC than the Bills.  Such a huge gap

It’s elite precision passing / hitting guys in stride

alot of Allen’s passes are just off here and there. 

13 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Superbowl wins matter. 

But so does consistent long term success. 

People will remember Phillip Rivers and Eli Manning. Rivers was the better QB. Eli had more special moments and obviously two Lombardis. 

Eli will probably be a first ballot HOF inductee. Rivers probably takes a few years. 

Mahommes is a first ballot HOF guy too. 

Allen will be as well when he wins our hometown a couple Lombardis.

No way rivers is a HoF 

3 minutes ago, balln said:

No way rivers is a HoF 

He's 6th all time in passing yards and 6th in passing TDs. He's a lock for the HOF. Depending who else is eligible he will be a first or second ballot HOF inductee.

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea ... After every game.. belichick walks up to Allen and whispers " come to the dark side "

And Allen's response was "Come be an assistant here and I will cleanse your sins; it may take a year to do it but I will give you penance every day to say."

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Beck Water said:

They don't say.  It was an anonymous survey, and some NFL DCs apparently put Allen in the 2nd tier of QB they'd like to face.

Got a link to the poll? I’d be interested to see how Allen is not in the same tier as Mahomes and Burrow in terms of avoiding… in fact, Josh is like Lamar but with polished passing; you have to game plan consistently against QB designed runs. The other two? Not so much, if rarely, are they running the ball. 

31 minutes ago, balln said:

No way rivers is a HoF 

Come on bro… play design is a huge component to RAC. There’s a reason Philly under Reid were up there in RAC yards. KC is no different. 

Rivers? Definitely a Hall of Famer on the basis of statistics. Not a first ballot but deserving nonetheless. 

Edited by BBFL

23 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It’s not so much offensive as it’s inaccurate and poorly researched. Allen has had numerous games where he showed himself to be an elite passer. Case in point being the only QB in history to orchestrate a perfect offensive game like he did against the Patriots*** in the playoffs. Looks like whomever said this about Allen hasn’t watched enough of his games, especially his come from behind games that depended solely on his passing ability. 

The point in the quote is consistency. Your point is that Allen has had some elite passing games. Those are different. As we know, he’s also had games where he’s out of whack all day with timing, reads, and accuracy.

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

It's not so much offensive as it is indicative of not really understanding what you're looking at

He's not running to make up for any deficiencies in his passing game, he's running because he's behind a terrible offensive line and outside Diggs a bunch of guys who can't get open reliably

He’s running because he’s good at it. It’s effective.

24 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Got a link to the poll? I’d be interested to see how Allen is not in the same tier as Mahomes and Burrow in terms of avoiding… in fact, Josh is like Lamar but with polished passing; you have to game plan consistently against QB designed runs. The other two? Not so much, if rarely, are they running the ball. 

I looked it up.  It’s in the Atheltic, so you may need to be subscribed or get a trial

Link

Basically @pennstate10 called it - Allen is ranked #3 in Tier 1, behind Mahomes and Burrows and followed by Rodgers and Herbert.  

I’m sure a number of fans would find the rankings in Tier 2 and 3 of their favorite teams’ QBs

The guy who wrote the article the OP linked just fixated on the 6 (out of 50) voters who put Allen in Tier 2, two of whom were DC’s.  The other 4 would have been drawn from the “eight general managers, 10 head coaches, 15 coordinators, 10 executives, four quarterbacks coaches and three involved in coaching/analytics.”

• Thank you (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Airseven said:

The point in the quote is consistency. Your point is that Allen has had some elite passing games. Those are different. As we know, he’s also had games where he’s out of whack all day with timing, reads, and accuracy.

My point is that Allen has shown time and time again that he’s an elite passer and whomever authored the opinion to the contrary hasn’t watched him enough to know that. Period. 

And as we also know, EVERY QB who has ever laced up a pair of cleats has had “out of whack” games. 

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I looked it up.  It’s in the Atheltic, so you may need to be subscribed or get a trial

Link

Basically @pennstate10 called it - Allen is ranked #3 in Tier 1, behind Mahomes and Burrows and followed by Rodgers and Herbert.  

I’m sure a number of fans would find the rankings in Tier 2 and 3 of their favorite teams’ QBs

The guy who wrote the article the OP linked just fixated on the 6 (out of 50) voters who put Allen in Tier 2, two of whom were DC’s.  The other 4 would have been drawn from the “eight general managers, 10 head coaches, 15 coordinators, 10 executives, four quarterbacks coaches and three involved in coaching/analytics.”

Might wanna inform Airseven that the article actually does have Allen as a tier 1 QB. 

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

this seems like Bellicheat trying anything to get in Josh’s head.   What coach could say this with a straight face unless working an angle?  

Nonsense.

Mark Sanchez did a masterful job of calling out Belicheck: “I would never say they cheat.  They’re just relentless in the pursuit of a competitive advantage”. But Belicheck is also a keen student of the game, with a lot of respect for it.

That’s why he asked to visit the Bills locker room and talk to Josh Allen after the Bills beat the Patriots in the 2021 playoffs where the Bills scored a TD on every offensive series.  That was special, and historic, and Belicheck wanted to honor it.  Allen is past having 6 anonymous opinions in a media poll of 50 dudes get in his head.  

Wanting to be seen as better than Burrows or Mahomes, now that may be in his head.  But I think he also knows there’s only one way to get there.

9 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Might wanna inform Airseven that the article actually does have Allen as a tier 1 QB. 

LOL.  Like I pointed out credit to @pennstate10for calling out the actual results of the poll accurately, and giving the OP clickbait train context.

But Trolls Gonna Troll.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Click bait. Whoever thinks Allen is not good enough to win as a passer is not good enough to be a coach in the NFL, college, or high school level.

You rang?

Screenshot-2023-08-07-22-35-25-10-680d03

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

My point is that Allen has shown time and time again that he’s an elite passer and whomever authored the opinion to the contrary hasn’t watched him enough to know that. Period. 

And as we also know, EVERY QB who has ever laced up a pair of cleats has had “out of whack” games. 

I’ve been discussing what was meant by the coordinator’s quote. And you think the issue is that the coordinator hasn’t watched Allen enough to reach your fan conclusion? Fine, let’s go with that.

But it doesn’t matter that every QB has bad games. What matters is how many bad, or inconsistent, games Allen still has as a passer while you tout him as elite.

• Vomit 1

2 hours ago, balln said:

No way rivers is a HoF 

When talking about Mahommes, I think we all quickly forget about Andy Reid. More often than not his primary read is open, and often times wide open. Andy Reid lead a Donovan McNabb team with a bunch of nobody's at WR, to a bunch of NFCG. When comparing Allen to Mahommes, we also have to factor this in. If they traded places, I'm more confident that Allen would be every bit as good if not better. Mahommes here, would still be upper level, but probably would regress at least a little. 

• Agree 1

Allen might break records this year. He's clearly dialed in, in great shape, may have shed some dead weight socially, etc. There isn't a person in the world that's calling for his regression. The man has put up 3 straight years or 4250 and 35 through the air, which nobody else but Mahomes can say. If you're still dumb enough to try to be that much of a contrarian that you can't admit that he's one of the top at his profession, then just wait 5 months, you'll either be forced to cave or you'll look even more insane. You couldn't even get Nick Squidward Wright to say that he's expecting a down year from Josh.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

this seems like Bellicheat trying anything to get in Josh’s head.   What coach could say this with a straight face unless working an angle?  

I don’t think it’s BB. He specifically talked to Josh after the massive beat down the Bills put on his team. I think he’s fully aware that Josh is tier 1. But really until the Bills win a SB this noise will continue. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Airseven said:

I’ve been discussing what was meant by the coordinator’s quote. And you think the issue is that the coordinator hasn’t watched Allen enough to reach your fan conclusion? Fine, let’s go with that.

But it doesn’t matter that every QB has bad games. What matters is how many bad, or inconsistent, games Allen still has as a passer while you tout him as elite.

According to the article, Allen is one of only three tier 1 QBs, along with Mahomes and Burrow. Tier 1. One. Of. Three. If Mahomes and Burrow are elite, then so is Allen. 

But this has been obvious to anyone with half a clue for a while now. If you weren’t so busy trolling, perhaps you’d find time to better acquaint yourself with the facts. 

Having been reminded of who you are and your modus operandi around here, this conversation is closed. Off with you now. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.