NFL coach ‘not sure’ Bills’ Josh Allen can consistently win as a passer

sonyab1974

1 minute ago, sonyab1974 said:

Alert the Media, there are still coaches who don't believe in Dual Threat QB in the NFL.  This is what was said:

With that being said, there will always be some who are skeptical. Here’s why one defensive coordinator put Allen in tier 2 as part of the survey:

“I’m not sure he (Allen) can win you a game as a dropback passer consistently, which is part of the Tier 1 description. I think Allen, Lamar (Jackson) and Jalen (Hurts) all fit into that high Tier 2 category. The running is a weapon, but if you are down two scores or 10 points, you might have an issue.”

Time will tell.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

Yup. Josh is to blame for 13 seconds. He is also to blame for the minor league OL we have had the past few seasons. Trade him to the Jets for Zach Wilson. We will have to throw in our 1st round pick in 2024 otherwise the Jets won't do the deal :)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

His passing stats have been elite for 3 seasons. His running numbers are so good because he’s a legit elite NFL passer.

What more consistency do they want? The list of guys with 3 straight seasons of 35+ TDs, 4300+ yards, and 10+ wins is shockingly short. 

If he 4-peats, the list grows even shorter.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Well shoot, now I'm concerned 

Damn right, we are doomed, 

• Haha (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, MJS said:

Allen is an elite passer. If he never ran again he would still be among the best QB's in the game.

I honestly think the problems with his passing last season stem from the inability of Dorsey to run a creative scheme. Especially utilizing underneath routes. 

I do think Josh could get way better if he were to also look short more often, though. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, sonyab1974 said:

The guy who wrote this is an idiot. 

It’s based off an Athletic article. They interviewed 50 NFL coaches/GM. There were 5 Tier 1 qbs. Allen had 3rd highest rating.

Mahomes scored a perfect 1.00. Burrows a 1.02. Allen a 1.12 (which means 6 coaches voted him in tier2 and 44 voted him in tier 1).

The best tier 2 qb scored 1.82. 

So yeah, this guy is clueless. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Alert the Media, there are still coaches who don't believe in Dual Threat QB in the NFL.  This is what was said:

Time will tell.

This is why I'm not happy about having a defensive coordinator as my HC.

The complete lack of nuanced insight here is....idiotic.

• Eyeroll 1

40 minutes ago, sonyab1974 said:

Unfortunately on GetUp we have some clown like Kimberly Martin trying to compare Josh to Dak and of course always talking about interceptions. It's the job of some of these people to stir up controversy and they do their job well.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

I honestly think the problems with his passing last season stem from the inability of Dorsey to run a creative scheme. Especially utilizing underneath routes. 

I do think Josh could get way better if he were to also look short more often, though. 

I think the UCL injury affected his quick game last season. He was otherworldly in the first half of the year

1 minute ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Unfortunately on GetUp we have some clown like Kimberly Martin trying to compare Josh to Dak and of course always talking about interceptions. It's the job of some of these people to stir up controversy and they do their job well.

One reason I believe the offense will be better this year as the TOs last year were just flukey at times and uncharacteristic for Josh, especially in the red zone. He will clean that up and be fine.

• Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This is why I'm not happy about having a defensive coordinator as my HC.

The complete lack of nuanced insight here is....idiotic.

Wow.  There are 32 defensive coordinators in the NFL (well...maybe 31?).  So because a few of them have a bad take, that means a defensive minded head coach is bad?  That's logical (Not!).

I sure hope you don't have a position where people management and employee evaluation is part of the job,

• Like (+1) 1

I’d love to have that DC, with any team he can field, stop Allen when he needs to score 😂.  I’ll give it to them, with the game on the line, if you take away the threat of running, Lamar scares nobody.  Hurts will take it over your head, so if you can stop that too, then maybe you can say he won’t get you (good luck with all that BTW).  With Allen, the only way you beat that animal is to bulldoze the line into his lap, which can happen, but as a passer, he’ll still destroy you.  The guy doesn’t throw over 4k yards every year by mistake… 

9 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I think the UCL injury affected his quick game last season. He was otherworldly in the first half of the year

One reason I believe the offense will be better this year as the TOs last year were just flukey at times and uncharacteristic for Josh, especially in the red zone. He will clean that up and be fine.

I have never had a problem with them because he is playing a Jim Kelly style of football by pushing the ball down the field and taking chances. It's all about the durability and concerns over the physical toll he is putting on his body and exacerbated by the coaching staff not bolstering the running game- turnovers happen and are manageable, but the physical toll placed on Josh is being mismanaged.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

22 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

The guy who wrote this is an idiot. 

It’s based off an Athletic article. They interviewed 50 NFL coaches/GM. There were 5 Tier 1 qbs. Allen had 3rd highest rating.

Mahomes scored a perfect 1.00. Burrows a 1.02. Allen a 1.12 (which means 6 coaches voted him in tier2 and 44 voted him in tier 1).

The best tier 2 qb scored 1.82. 

So yeah, this guy is clueless. 

Yeah that's dumb.  

Allen, Hurts, Jackson are three completely different players.

Allen - drop back focused, with some designed runs.  Likes to jump out of the pocket with pressure comes in and will create with his legs

Hurts - Play action and designed run heavy

Jackson - Pocket passer who is a first read guy, and then likes either an outlet with his TE or his legs.  Designed runs are a part of his game, but not to Hurts level

Allen is the best QB out of the three, then Jackson, then Hurts.  And the gap between Allen and Hurts is a tier or two

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I’d love to have that DC, with any team he can field, stop Allen when he needs to score 😂.  I’ll give it to them, with the game on the line, if you take away the threat of running, Lamar scares nobody.  Hurts will take it over your head, so if you can stop that too, then maybe you can say he won’t get you (good luck with all that BTW).  With Allen, the only way you beat that animal is to bulldoze the line into his lap, which can happen, but as a passer, he’ll still destroy you.  The guy doesn’t throw over 4k yards every year by mistake… 

Yeah, I mean, Bill Belicheck used to hold that opinion of Allen - that he would try to beat you with his legs, that he would go for the deep stuff and could be baited into mistakes. 

That opinion changed on Saturday January 15, 2022.

Allen has now had 3 consecutive seasons well over 4000 passing yards, with 138 passing TD and 60 INT.  We are well past the days when opposing defenders would say "we need to keep him in the pocket and make him be a QB".

Lamar Jackson's best passing year was just over 3,000 yds.  The rest have been 2,000-ish.  Open question "can he beat you from the pocket"?

Jalen Hurts had a great season last year.  Big step up in completion % to 67% and passing yards to 3700.  Lots of passing TD, near the top of the league in INT %.  The Eagles don't make the Superbowl without his big step as a passer.  Datapoint of 1 season that "yes, yes he can beat you from the pocket".

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, sonyab1974 said:

If this coach is that bad at player evaluations, he don't belong in the NFL. I love it when people make outlandish statements off the record or while unnamed. It shows they're afraid of being called a clown.🤡

Edited by loyal2dagame
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

I would like to see Allen playing behind a solid OL like Mahomes does. 

Although it does have to be pointed out (and this applies to Burrows as well) that "solid is as solid does".  Allen does his O-line no favors at times; if he took the short pass and the checkdown more at times, his line would look better.

I mean, I'm not saying they'd magically look great, but they'd look average or a bit better.

And Spencer Brown would still be an issue.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I love him, but his completion % needs to be closer to 70% like it was a few years ago.  Having WR's actually catch certainly helps 

A lot of this completion % stuff gets read the wrong way by the experts. If Allen threw 3 extra dump offs to RBs per game it would inflate his completion % and a lot of these experts would suddenly be making a big deal of his improvement, even though all he's done to improve it is throw 3 incredibly easy passes per game.

Now, that's not to say such throws are worthless because they can be the difference in moving the chains or punting, but it does show how such things an get overblown. it was the same thing when he left college. Everyone was making a big deal of the 58% (or whatever it was) completions and it just became this phrase everyone started parroting. One of the Josh Allen believers (might have even been Kiper) pointed out that he was making more difficult pass attempts because his team was so bad and needed to score, and that if he'd make a couple of easy check downs per game it would have inflated his % to 60%, in which case the stuff about his accuracy wouldn't have been talked about so much.

Edited by RobbRiddick

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.