Hines out for the year

17islongenough

15 hours ago, JMM said:

We will be fine. He was on the bubble this year frankly. RB room is loaded, best shape in years. We have Harty and Shakir as returnees. Bad break, but not a big blow as far as I'm concerned 

Loaded with whom?  Hines was the only guy on our offense that had any real speed.  Now he’s gone.  Our lack of speed will be our crutch this year and I blame Beane for not doing anything about it. 

1 hour ago, kjack151 said:

Loaded with whom?  Hines was the only guy on our offense that had any real speed.  Now he’s gone.  Our lack of speed will be our crutch this year and I blame Beane for not doing anything about it. 

Just about everybody on that off runs 4.4 some thing and harty is super fast

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, kjack151 said:

Cook’s not fast all of a sudden (4.42)? Harty (4.48)? Hell Sherfield ran a 4.45. What is “real speed”?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

it's a damn shame for the kid and for us. Now McD/Dorsey will have to find someone else to absorb his 6 carries. We ruined his career.

What you might miss is his two kickoff returns for td, but the league is doing everything they can to deemphasize that part of the game.

Seems to me if it's an off-the-field injury, a professional sports organization should protect its cap situation. An athlete can and should purchase disability or loss of value insurance for just such a situation.

Edited by Commish
typo
  • Like (+1) 1

If insurance covers his salary and the Bills clear cap space, it's a win-win (or the best of a bad situation).

On a bigger note, I now fear that torn ACL for running back in his late 20s may be tough to come back from.

EDIT: He turns 27 this fall. I thought he was a bit older. I hope he can bounce back and get another 2-year contract or something next year.

Edited by Nephilim17

16 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

That seems like incredibly stupid design.

From the point of view of catching cleats and potentially twisting lower legs, yeah

Apparently it has some advantages for retaining the rubber pellet fill better and providing a faster surface.

8 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Cook’s not fast all of a sudden (4.42)? Harty (4.48)? Hell Sherfield ran a 4.45. What is “real speed”?

None of them are as fast as Nyheim Hines recorded time of 4.38.

On the other hand, we all know that the times in the Pajama Olympics can depend upon a lot of factors, and is only a rough gauge of actual playing speed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah a Jet-ski is not a canoe, @Beck Water.  :lol:

I have one that goes 70 mph with no brakes (unless you are moving at 2-3 mph).   It's permitted to go in ONE direction(left turns like NASCAR) on the body of water I am on because otherwise people would continue to run into and kill each other.     Nyheim's still happen though because people think they are just getting on an amusement park ride.  

I own Jet skis down in Fort Lauderdale.  Ride them in the ocean and the intercoastal.  Its not hard to ride them safely.  It feels fast going 30-35mph.  No need to be crazy on them.  

On 7/24/2023 at 10:11 AM, billsbackto81 said:

With all the new rules neutering the return game is it really that crucial?

The dude scored TWO kickoff TDs in the same game! Ans he was a constant threat before that.

But yeah, with a stacked RB room, and less kickoffs, it's not THAT bad... but it sure is for him. 

If someone can find a quick cure for knee injuries, he is an instant multi-millionaire!

Edit: I almost cried on his first kickoff TD on the very first play of the game. What an emotional moment, after what had happed to #3.

Edited by Jerome007

12 minutes ago, Airseven said:

It’s not a stacked RB room. Cook is unproven obviously. Fingers crossed he can handle a larger percentage of carries. Harris is injury prone. Murray is washed.

Its the home team bias. Folks always think our whatever room is stacked. Reality is we have a 2nd rounder that is unproven and still learning and two guys making essentially league minimum. Bills fans will call it stacked while non-Bills fans would put in the lower third of the league. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

But it’s perfectly fine to have a below par backfield… specifically when you got a Josh Allen at QB…. Can’t say the same for the WR position though. 

Agreed. Look around the league - I would not call any room "stacked". There are a handful of elite backs and everyone else. That is why the Hines money was so odd to me. We actually paid him more than Harris and Murray combined. And if the money was for a returner that is even more scary to value that over help for JA. I would of let him walk and used that money on a WR. Too late now and we are eating that money.  

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

But it’s perfectly fine to have a below par backfield… specifically when you got a Josh Allen at QB…. Can’t say the same for the WR position though. 

It’s not perfectly fine. The hope was to take pressure off Allen. Still having mediocre-to-sub par RB, WR, and OL rooms does not accomplish that. Nor does a dicey OC.

Heavy expectations for two rookies this season.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

C’mon.  He’s an idiot for even getting on a jet ski during his playing years and is lucky he doesn’t play for an organization like the Bengals, who wouldn’t hesitate to go after his guaranteed money.  

So Knox, Von Miller, Ed Oliver and probably a bunch of Bills players who don't post about it on social media are all idiots I guess.

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Agreed. Look around the league - I would not call any room "stacked". There are a handful of elite backs and everyone else. That is why the Hines money was so odd to me. We actually paid him more than Harris and Murray combined. And if the money was for a returner that is even more scary to value that over help for JA. I would of let him walk and used that money on a WR. Too late now and we are eating that money.  

You knew something was wrong last year when he got 11 touches on offense in 7 games.

They couldn't figure anything out. 

And they kept feeding the media the "he's new" line over and over again. 

McDermott got his hands on him and straight to the Special Teams dungeon he went. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I own Jet skis down in Fort Lauderdale.  Ride them in the ocean and the intercoastal.  Its not hard to ride them safely.  It feels fast going 30-35mph.  No need to be crazy on them.  

Yeah wide open spaces are pretty easy.   If he was out in the ocean minding his own business free-floating on his jet ski and someone drove up out of nowhere and nailed him that would be astonishingly poor luck.    Unfortunately most of the accidents happen in more congested areas or when multiple jet skis are riding with each other.........which is the circumstance at the beginning of many jet ski rides.   People often don't fully realize what it means to not be able to stop a vehicle immediately in a short area because they are used to being able to stop in short distances with their bicycle/car/motorcycle.

On 7/24/2023 at 10:35 AM, The Wiz said:

The whole situation sounds like whoever he was with was screwing around, ended his season and potentially risked his future in the NFL.  

I don't think they will be friends much longer.

You are assuming it was a person he knows that hit him.  It could very well be some other person out jet skiing but not an experienced jet skier or someone that was with Hines.  Being he was on a ski stationary likely was near a area where skiers maybe pull up to a dock or a rental location.  

1 minute ago, AuntieEm said:

You are assuming it was a person he knows that hit him.  It could very well be some other person out jet skiing but not an experienced jet skier or someone that was with Hines.  Being he was on a ski stationary likely was near a area where skiers maybe pull up to a dock or a rental location.  

Valid.

Every year there are fatalities where someone is minding their own business along the shoreline and some fool on a Jetski who doesn't realize that watercraft lack brakes randomly plows right into them.

3 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Absolutely I am.  Same as you.  Both situations are plausible.

I framed it in that perspective because everyone has that friend that will do something dumb like that (like going golfing with your buddies and rear-ending them as a joke and actually smashes into them hard).

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

I think there are a few tbh

Packers have Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon- that qualifies as stacked

Eagles with D'Andre Swift and Rashaad Peny is definitely stacked, those are two RB1 caliber backs

Likewise Saints having Kamara and Jamaal Williams

probably a couple more offhand but cant remember

16 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Absolutely I am.  Same as you.  Both situations are plausible.

I framed it in that perspective because everyone has that friend that will do something dumb like that (like going golfing with your buddies and rear-ending them as a joke and actually smashes into them hard).

Your situation is more plausible.  It's not 50/50 just because those are the two possibilities.  Hines was probably with a bunch of friends and something bad happened.   

If this was some extremely random person hitting a stationary Hines, I think the agent would have put that out there in milliseconds.  It is fishy enough that the stationary part came out a good amount of time later.  The agent probably had to make sure story that would fly first (all Hines friends will cover for him on that and no one else was around to say otherwise).

I had liked Hines to contribute as a returner and as a pass catcher. Just sad to see him lose his season and likely his career (he likely will get a chance to catch on a roster in 2024 but I just don't see him making it coming off of this type of injury) due to an off-season activity days before the season starts. Won't be a huge on-field loss but I just feel sad for him on a human level. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, ngbills said:

Its the home team bias. Folks always think our whatever room is stacked. Reality is we have a 2nd rounder that is unproven and still learning and two guys making essentially league minimum. Bills fans will call it stacked while non-Bills fans would put in the lower third of the league. 

I agree. I'd take it a step further too. The Bills roster is good but it has very little elite game changing players. They lack elite players. Also, they have big question marks ib the trenches. Not to mention besides Diggs the WR core looks underwhelming. 

Lastly, they have a coaching staff that looks good to very good through the regular season and underwhelms come playoff time.  

So many things have to go right for the Bills this year. Seems like an unlikely to me. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Hines agent firing a shot across the bow;

some of the responses:

Also Ed Wasielewski commenting on Broncos placing WR KJ Hamler and DT Mike Purcell on their NFI (non-football-related injury) list:

The Bean-meister says "no comment" in a nice way:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Hines agent firing a shot across the bow;

some of the responses:

Also Ed Wasielewski commenting on Broncos placing WR KJ Hamler and DT Mike Purcell on their NFI (non-football-related injury) list:

The Bean-meister says "no comment" in a nice way:

yikes. hope we meet in the middle. hate the agents posturing... its not about the $$ with us, its about the same cap 31 other teams are against. your client was on a jetski, and your posturing for hardball $2.5m after 48hrs. fly a kite dude. i like hines, but take a meet in the middle sum, and collect that lost $$ through the insurance policy these players usually have on their bodies (i think)

He got $2.153M last year and a $1M signing bonus and $100K workout bonus this year from the Bills.  If he's demanding the $2.56M in salary for this year, he can go pound sand.  If the Bills are looking to recoup some/all of his bonus money, that's another story, but they're entitled to do it.

7 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

yikes. hope we meet in the middle. hate the agents posturing... its not about the $$ with us, its about the same cap 31 other teams are against. your client was on a jetski, and your posturing for hardball $2.5m after 48hrs. fly a kite dude. i like hines, but take a meet in the middle sum, and collect that lost $$ through the insurance policy these players usually have on their bodies (i think)

I also think there maybe insurance claim.  I'd think jet skis require being insured.  

35 minutes ago, Doc said:

He got $2.153M last year and a $1M signing bonus and $100K workout bonus this year from the Bills.  If he's demanding the $2.56M in salary for this year, he can go pound sand.  If the Bills are looking to recoup some/all of his bonus money, that's another story, but they're entitled to do it.

He ain't getting the salary, that's SOP.

The real question is if the Bills are trying to claw back his bonuses.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.