RIP Ryan Mallett

BuffaloBillyG

1 hour ago, Southern_Bills said:

I live on the gulf coast, some don't take the flags seriously on the beach. 

My wife's friend died recently trying to save his wife/daughter when they went out under red flag conditions. 

It happens without intoxicants. Not saying I know what happened with Mallet.

Apparently 7 people have drowned in the last 10 days in that area?  Very sad news.

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Apparently 7 people have drowned in the last 10 days in that area?  Very sad news.

Yeah, mostly in Panama City I believe. But from where I live in alabama down to Panama city is only about a 3 hour drive. So it's all in the same geographical region.

It's been crazy. 

1 hour ago, Southern_Bills said:

My wife's friend died recently trying to save his wife/daughter when they went out under red flag conditions. 

it’s wild it’s so bad there. Did a family trip there in spring and every day for the week was red flag day 

2 hours ago, LeviF said:

Medical emergency, hit your head, imbibe too much, get murdered, or some combination of the above. I’m sure if we put our minds to it we could figure out a bunch of ways. 

Two hours later, the know it alls have not disappointed!

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Lol, I enjoy the dedicated ones that refuse to base their logic off truth. It can get entertaining at times

That’s a kind way of putting it! 😂

15 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I was one of those interested in him as Bills QB.  RIP

Yeah I think that I led that parade. I once saw Mallett throw a 50 yard post pattern.....flat footed and standing still. The ball was never 15 feet high. There was no air under the ball and the pass looked like a relay from a major league outfielder. The man had what was easily in the top 5 QBs that I ever saw in terms of arm strength in terms of distance and his fastball. 

He had problems as a kid but was at this point a HS football coach. I hope that he got his life together. 

RIP.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yeah I think that I led that parade. I once saw Mallett throw a 50 yard post pattern.....flat fotted and standing still. The ball was never 15 feet high. There was no air under the ball and the pass looked like a relay from a major league outfielder. The man had what was easily in the top 5 QBs that I ever saw in terms of arm strength in terms of distance and his fastball. 

He had problems as a kid but was at this point a HS football coach. I hope that he got his life together. 

RIP.

Was just going to mention you in this thread, Bill.  I remember your man-crush on Mallett.

So sad that this happened to such a young man.

14 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Tragic about your wife's friend. I've heard a few stories like that. I live in Florida as well. Read an article where a couple of elderly people died. The beach was closed to swimming under 2 red flags, which I think means, not no, but hell no! 

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

National Weather Service statistics show that Panama City has had seven rip current-related deaths in the past nine days, more surf zone fatalities than any other beach in the U.S. in 2023.

https://thehill.com/homenews/4070807-florida-beach-now-deadliest-in-us-this-year-after-3-more-drownings/

I was stationed at Eglin afb right there by Destin. In Ft Walton Beach.  I never went swimming in the ocean just never got any urges to swim where I could be considered lunch by any shark.  I'll leave my swimming pursuits to safer controlled access of swimming pools thank you very much....

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

I was stationed at Eglin afb right there by Destin. In Ft Walton Beach.  I never went swimming in the ocean just never got any urges to swim where I could be considered lunch by any shark.  I'll leave my swimming pursuits to safer controlled access of swimming pools thank you very much....

Did you see this?

• Shocked 2

16 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Those are some beautiful beaches down there.

Love the white sand and the clear emerald blue water.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Did you see this?

Nope never saw that but everglades has plenty of snakes and gators that would consider people snacks so I'd pass on swamps as well as oceans.  I never did like the gulf coast area was at Biloxi in Mississippi for close to a year for tech school.  Did go on a friend's boat for a day of shark fishing but we never caught anything which I was quite ok with as I didn't really want to catch one.  I much preferred the mountain area around Hahn ab in Germany to any beach areas.  

RIP Mallett.

If the riptide cause is true, how tragic.

I've never experienced a riptide situation. Was a lifeguard at Beaver Island State Park Buffalo area for many years. I couldn't hold a candle to the guards at an ocean beach (riptides, sharks, underwater visibility, etc.). Extremely hard job.

44 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Did you see this?

"Two seconds ain't gonna do anything".  Yeah let's make thrashy fish noises with your hands covered with fish stink. Good plan.  The shark was already there nimrod. He saw and or smelled your boat and knew what you were doing and was waiting for you to bring a fish to him. You imitated a fish. Well done.  Your buddy knew better.

17 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Sad news!  Why does it seem like every offseason we hear about some sort of Tragedy like this?  Wasn't the Dwayne Haskins incident just last Summer around this time?

RIP Ryan Mallett

There is tragedy every day in the world.  Always has been.  Always will.  Doesn't make it easier to take.  But that is how life revolves unfortunately.  I remember Mallett at my school Michigan in the 2000's.  The boy had some moxie.  Too bad he never became a big timer.  RIP!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

There is tragedy every day in the world.  Always has been.  Always will.  Doesn't make it easier to take.  But that is how life revolves unfortunately.  I remember Mallett at my school Michigan in the 2000's.  The boy had some moxie.  Too bad he never became a big timer.  RIP!!

There really is!  One of the tougher things about adulthood in my opinion is being aware of how much tragedy and heartbreak goes on in this world on a daily basis.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Rest In Peace, Ryan. That’s very sad to lose someone so young.

I have always found the oceans, including the Gulf of Mexico, to be a frightening environment.

I remember walking out in the water, barely up to my knees, and feeling the currents pulling me out further. It was strong enough to knock down an able adult. Scary.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

How freaking sad, but i cant think of a more noble death than dying while trying to save your family! Tip of the cap, and RIP to the man

Did the wife and kid make it?

17 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Wife and I were at Oak Island NC,  this weekend . We couldn’t go past out our knees Saturday as it was brutal. 
    As usual, there were a couple people , literally, out past the breakers. 

Oak Island is great.  Rented a house on the beach there with friends a few years back.  I remember the water being super warm.  There was a pizza place owned by a guy from Buffalo that was pretty good, but he said that he couldn't fully replicate the Buffalo crust because the water was different.

In any event, everyone be safe in the water.

• Like (+1) 1

So sad. I remember his sophomore year of college he was the #1 prospect on some scouting websites, many on the BBMB loved him. 

For the wrestling fans out there, Shad Gaspard died the same way a few years ago. Saved his son though. 

Those rip tides are no joke.

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

"Two seconds ain't gonna do anything".  Yeah let's make thrashy fish noises with your hands covered with fish stink. Good plan.  The shark was already there nimrod. He saw and or smelled your boat and knew what you were doing and was waiting for you to bring a fish to him. You imitated a fish. Well done.  Your buddy knew better.

This is an example of why women live longer than men.

8 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

Tragic about your wife's friend. I've heard a few stories like that. I live in Florida as well. Read an article where a couple of elderly people died. The beach was closed to swimming under 2 red flags, which I think means, not no, but hell no! 

And a fine if you go in lol.

5 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

How freaking sad, but i cant think of a more noble death than dying while trying to save your family! Tip of the cap, and RIP to the man

Did the wife and kid make it?

Thankfully yes they both made it out safely. Which is a huge win.

7 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Oak Island is great.  Rented a house on the beach there with friends a few years back.  I remember the water being super warm.  There was a pizza place owned by a guy from Buffalo that was pretty good, but he said that he couldn't fully replicate the Buffalo crust because the water was different.

In any event, everyone be safe in the water.

Pizza Shack

The last night there, after three days of seafood, in a row, I had to have something else. Just wrote the guy a banging review on Trip Advisor for his pizza. It was 👍🏻 

12 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Very sad.

Something is going on in the oceans.  I think 60 people have drowned so far just in the southeast beaches.  9 in the last 10 days in the Florida panhandle.  

https://apnews.com/article/florida-panhandle-beaches-rip-currents-drownings-3c764b6d167d2990e6f4954d945b1b57

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.