Buffalo 66 came out 25 years ago yesterday

Another Fan

In my history I started a thread when the movie was 20 years old 5 years ago.  Back then it seemed to get mixed reviews on the site

Now it’s 25 years.  So out of curiosity I’m gonna see if opinions have changed on it.  The Josh Allen era has happened since.   I do love the film and it’s probably in my top 10 of all time.  Although I’ll admit some of it looks a little dated watching it today.  

The quote now that stands out to me is Mickey Rourkes character telling Billy if Buffalo ever makes it back to the big game bet against them.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I had never heard of it until opening this, so I’m guess that’s a bonus for me! 

I hadn't seen it until someone here started a thread about it several years ago. In short, the main character is despicable, and when he goes home to visit his parents in Buffalo, you understand why he's that way. I had mixed feelings about it. It was gripping in a way, but uncomfortable. Some people don't like movies like that, but I find them interesting. It's not a "feel good" movie, other than feeling good that I was raised by much better people than his parents.

I have a friend who's a psychology professor. She teaches a course called "Life Span Development," which she jokingly describes as, "101 ways to blame your parents." I suggested that she see Buffalo 66. I don't know if she did.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I hadn't seen it until someone here started a thread about it several years ago. In short, the main character is despicable, and when he goes home to visit his parents in Buffalo, you understand why he's that way. I had mixed feelings about it. It was gripping in a way, but uncomfortable. Some people don't like movies like that, but I find them interesting. It's not a "feel good" movie, other than feeling good that I was raised by much better people than his parents.

I have a friend who's a psychology professor. She teaches a course called "Life Span Development," which she jokingly describes as, "101 ways to blame your parents." I suggested that she see Buffalo 66. I don't know if she did.

I have a friend who was going thru some stuff and seeing a therapist. After a while he said something like “look, this is great, but it’s NOT my parents! Can we move on?” 

He said that she later “fired” him.   😂 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

It was probably me as well.  Lol

I thought that's what made the movie great though as it progressed.  You see a little more beneath his exterior.  Although after watching it a few times Billy's behavior is just straight hilarious to me in the first few minutes.   Added as well that was Vincent's childhood home in Williamsville (I believe) where he knocked on the door 

51 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Love that film!!!

Love the use of Heart of The Sunrise and Sweetness in it by Yes 

Edited by Another Fan

Liked the movie when I was a teenager.  I was very into avant garde stuff like Donny Darko, Adaptation, Eternal Sunshine, Pans Labyrinth etc.  But, I think if I watched it now I'd probably find it too grimy to be enjoyable.   Have the same feeling when I am watching movies directed by Darren Aronofsky now.   I dont mind to feel a little sad watching movies, but hopelessness just makes me depressed. 

2 hours ago, Zag20 said:

You said, "Baby, do you want to come home with me?
I've got Buffalo '66 on DVD"
You said, "Baby, do you want to come home with me?
I've got Buffalo '66 on DVD"

Note the S&S Taxidermy t-shirt worn by a band member. That's in West Valley, NY.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

Who was looking at her forehead? The whole movie  was filmed in WNY. The  prison he was let out of was the Psychiatric Center in Gowanda. The Denny's they went to was at Eggert , Sheridan  and NF blvd in Amherst.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

Let's span time together!

Haha was going to post this myself

39 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Who was looking at her forehead? The whole movie  was filmed in WNY. The  prison he was let out of was the Psychiatric Center in Gowanda. The Denny's they went to was at Eggert , Sheridan  and NF blvd in Amherst.

Yeah, um I was looking at...her tap shoes. I swear

3 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I've never seen it.  Is it based on any actual events or places in Buffalo?

Doesn't it have a nod to Wide Right in the movie as well?

IIRC, Norwood owns the strip club, or spends a lot of time there

Gallo was such a douche. Did bang the hottest and nicest chick from my high school during filming, so good for him, but otherwise a whiny brat. 

I don't think Buffalo is the greatest place in the world, but it has its charms and certainly builds character. But it is tough on people who need other people to say "wow, you're great!" and Gallo was certainly one of those people.

15 hours ago, Augie said:

I had never heard of it until opening this, so I’m guess that’s a bonus for me! 

It’s an indie film, so if big production and special effects are your thing, skip it.

A lot of it is portraying Buffalo as very bleak and depressing. It’s kind of accurate for how some parts were, and may still be. 

Some top notch actors. 
I loved it. Very quirky.  But I like quirky. Not for everyone, but definitely check it out. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I've never seen it.  Is it based on any actual events or places in Buffalo?

Doesn't it have a nod to Wide Right in the movie as well?

More or less, not directly but it is implied, a lot of outside shots of Buffalo.

Type of movie you only want to watch once but it is interesting.

3 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

More or less, not directly but it is implied, a lot of outside shots of Buffalo.

Type of movie you only want to watch once but it is interesting.

Thank you.  I may try to check it out

Edited by BillsPride12

1 hour ago, billsintaiwan said:

Gallo was such a douche. Did bang the hottest and nicest chick from my high school during filming, so good for him, but otherwise a whiny brat. 

I don't think Buffalo is the greatest place in the world, but it has its charms and certainly builds character. But it is tough on people who need other people to say "wow, you're great!" and Gallo was certainly one of those people.

What's the backstory on that?  I don't know all that much about Gallo but he was in that NFL Films video about the Bills called "A Town, A Team, A Dream" and my impressions of him is that he was kind of a loser/outcast type...so yeah how did he pull that off?  

7 hours ago, purple haze said:

I don’t mind pathos in a film.   He created a vivid world, had an interesting visual style, etc..   I thought Gallo did a good job with the film.

The Brown Bunny on the other hand...

Roger Ebert called the Brown Bunny" the worst movie in the history of Cannes".  Gallo responded by calling Ebert a "fat pig with the physique of a slave trader".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.