Kaiir Elam - Breakout Player of 2023

I gotta admit, I was disappointed with Elam's play at the beginning of 2022.  But he seemed to progress as the season unfolded.  And now PFF has named Elam their Bills "breakout candidate" for 2023.  

Despite being a first-round pick in 2022, Elam failed to become a starting cornerback by the start of the season and had an inconsistent rookie year. However, as a former first-round pick, he should have plenty of opportunities to win that position battle. He also finished the season strong, flipping his 56.7 PFF grade in the regular season to 87.1 in two playoff games, a mark that would have ranked second among cornerbacks in the regular season.

Thoughts?  Do you agree?  Disagree?  Why?

www.pff.com/news/nfl-breakout-candidates-all-16-afc-teams-chiefs-kadarius-toney-steelers-kenny-pickett#BUF

• Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 1

I hope this is the case, and I hope that he actually did improve by the end of the season. I don't really know of it as is my sensibility test. I just saw problems quarterbacks would just as soon go after White as they would anywhere else. We also use the safeties to help cover on elam's side. I don't want a sophomore slump

Some players are good in practice bad in games. Some players are good in games bad in practice. Some players are great in the playoffs. The pressure brings out the best. Elam is trending towards great play in big moments against the best competition. I remember the pick of Mahomes and stellar play to close out the fins. What was Elam’s PFF grade vs the Bengals? Was it Frazier’s off press scheme that was the issue? 

• Like (+1) 2

Three interceptions in his rookie season, and playing a lot of zone, when his strength is in man/press, I anticipate a very good upcoming season. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think how Elam progresses mentally and Tre White progresses physically from his injury will determine how good our secondary will be this season.

CB is now a position of very good depth with Benford and Jackson able to start if needed.

I still have no idea how they plan to use Taylor Rapp, but he excells against the run and could prevent us from getting run over in Nickel and dime sets.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I thought he played very well in the playoffs. And down the stretch of the season...

I don't doubt he could have a major impact on the defense this year, he certainly has all the tools and the work ethic to.make it happen.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I thought he played very well in the playoffs. And down the stretch of the season...

I don't doubt he could have a major impact on the defense this year, he certainly has all the tools and the work ethic to.make it happen.

Yes and How well he played against Hill in the second Miami game.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't know that I'd call Elam a breakout candidate.  It's true that he started slow, but the finish that he had to his rookie season, including the playoffs put him on the expected trajectory.  I think he'll start and I think he'll be solid.  There are several other players that I'm hoping with break out, including Greg Rousseau, Ed Oliver and Gabe Davis. 

Edited by BigAl2526
  • Agree 1

He’s probably one of the more physically gifted secondary players we’ve had in a long time.

Has already shown he can make big plays.. just need the consistency and for him to get more comfortable in zone. 

Another thing I love about him is that he is literally in every single group outing picture with other guys on the team.   I’m pretty sure he’s incapable of saying no to a group outing. 

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I think how Elam progresses mentally and Tre White progresses physically from his injury will determine how good our secondary will be this season.

CB is now a position of very good depth with Benford and Jackson able to start if needed.

I still have no idea how they plan to use Taylor Rapp, but he excells against the run and could prevent us from getting run over in Nickel and dime sets.

You basically said it. Rapp will be in the Big Nickel I assume. I like the addition.  Feels like a McDermott pick now that he's calling plays.

Versatility 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Agree 2

On 5/21/2023 at 3:50 PM, PrimeTime101 said:

Yes and How well he played against Hill in the second Miami game.

I thought when he wasn't really playing that much that the coaching staff was having him get ready for Hill. A few times it seemed like Elam knew exactly what route was being run and ran it better than Hill. His playing time was also up in the dolphins games compared to others. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I gotta admit, I was disappointed with Elam's play at the beginning of 2022.  But he seemed to progress as the season unfolded.  And now PFF has named Elam their Bills "breakout candidate" for 2023.  

Despite being a first-round pick in 2022, Elam failed to become a starting cornerback by the start of the season and had an inconsistent rookie year. However, as a former first-round pick, he should have plenty of opportunities to win that position battle. He also finished the season strong, flipping his 56.7 PFF grade in the regular season to 87.1 in two playoff games, a mark that would have ranked second among cornerbacks in the regular season.

Thoughts?  Do you agree?  Disagree?  Why?

www.pff.com/news/nfl-breakout-candidates-all-16-afc-teams-chiefs-kadarius-toney-steelers-kenny-pickett#BUF

I think he’s got the talent. If he makes the jump and Tre returns to form, we have the best secondary in football imo.  Very excited to see him and Benford battle for that position.   

His emergence would make the defense more dynamic.  Having 2 guys who can press allows for Mcdermott to get creative in the front 7.  I think the defense in recent years was conservative in nature do to Fraziers style.  Elam is a departure from the zone corners they put across white.  

I thought Elam did pretty well in man covergae last year.  He seemed to be able to maintain good contact with receivers.  One area I think he could improve upon is to become more physical at the point of the catch to dislodge the football.    

Edited by JimmyNoodles

58 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We drafted a press man CB and never played press man. Will that change this year?

It would certainly optimize his capacity to succeed if they used him in ways that take advantage of his exceptional abilities. If they did not intend to use them, they should have drafted someone else.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

We drafted a press man CB and never played press man. Will that change this year?

Actually we did us him in some press against Tyreek Hill and he did it really well. 

Elam had a better season than the playing time he got. I still think there is something we don't know behind the scenes in relation to the healthy scratch in New England. 

IMO they have to come out of camp with Elam as the starter unless Dane Jackson just totally and obviously outplays him. There is of course the other scenario none of us really want to countenance where we come out of camp with both of them as starters and Tre still not looking like his old self.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Actually we did us him in some press against Tyreek Hill and he did it really well. 

Elam had a better season than the playing time he got. I still think there is something we don't know behind the scenes in relation to the healthy scratch in New England. 

IMO they have to come out of camp with Elam as the starter unless Dane Jackson just totally and obviously outplays him. There is of course the other scenario none of us really want to countenance where we come out of camp with both of them as starters and Tre still not looking like his old self.

When he was put in position to play press he did very well.  He was inexperienced in zone so that is where his struggles came.  I come away thinking Elam was drafted with the Wallace Kelce play from the playoffs stuck in the organizations head.  Vs Cincy they played similar coverage.  I think Mcdermott goes more Jim Johnson than Frazier in 23.   White Elam and Johnson asked to do more.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Success said:

Imagine if Elam takes that next step, and Tre gets back to where he was pre-injury.

Hyde & Poyer back also.   

Could be one of the top secondaries in the league.

This is where my anxiety lies:  IF Hyde, Poyer, and Tre all return to peak form and IF Elam takes the next step...

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

This is where my anxiety lies:  IF Hyde, Poyer, and Tre all return to peak form and IF Elam takes the next step...

I don't think you can count on that. What I think you can reasonably expect is that Tre will not be a liability out there. Hyde and Poyer can have savvy vet seasons that don't quite equate to peak form. Elam towards the end of the season showed promise. Von Miller coming back, the DL in general playing a more mature game with consistent pressure would help the dbs. The leap has to be on offense and the D has to hold the fort. That is possible.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

Imagine if Elam takes that next step, and Tre gets back to where he was pre-injury.

Hyde & Poyer back also.   

Could be one of the top secondaries in the league.

Tre went through hell and possibly affected him at the beginning of the return.  Some are so instant gratification they forget he was a 1st time all pro CB.

I believe there is a good degree of likelihood he’ll be back.  Your comments regarding our secondary is accurate, but don’t forget Taron is considered one of the top 3-4 Nickel CB’s in the league, and when we need Big Nickel we have Rapp.

Its beautiful.  Shutting down the Cincy’s of the world with those 3 WR’s would be impressive.  Hopefully we won’t have tragedies of the Tops shooting, Knox’s brother dieing tragically, two smowmageddon events, and oh by the way our back up safety dead for 9 min and 23 seconds.

These arent excuses, but real reasons why the team was mentally, emotionally, and physically exhausted.  We barely beat an inferior team in the Fish.  Tua is no Josh.

Beane upgraded this team.  I have cautious optimism.  Cautious is the operant word.  Instead of everything is great or the sky is falling, I’m in the well see mode.  Not too high, not too low.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree, he was excellent in both matchups that he had against Hill. Even the catches he gave up didn't come easy. It made me wonder why we didn't try more of that at other points in the season, especially against the Bengals. In Elam and Cook we drafted two players with unique (on our roster) skill sets and then barely used those skill sets. It was a rare case of the front office not being in lock step with the coaching staff.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I agree, he was excellent in both matchups that he had against Hill. Even the catches he gave up didn't come easy. It made me wonder why we didn't try more of that at other points in the season, especially against the Bengals. In Elam and Cook we drafted two players with unique (on our roster) skill sets and then barely used those skill sets. It was a rare case of the front office not being in lock step with the coaching staff.

Now that we have players with those particular talents, it's up to the coaching staff to adapt and make use of those skill sets.

• Agree 1

I wouldnt even say he had an inconsistent rookie season... seemed when given opportunities he played good. Atleast better than the 2 CBs that were ahead of him on the depth chart. Not sure what Bills coaches saw in practice but when he was put into the game we had much better success defensively

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Sounds kinda iffy… 😁

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Pretty sure I read we played it much more than normal last year. If I remember correctly, it seemed like a very low % but we were like top 8 by end of year.

Might be thinking of just man versus press man though, second guessing myself. Bong water and beer hops marinated brain lol

16 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Some players are good in practice bad in games. Some players are good in games bad in practice. Some players are great in the playoffs. The pressure brings out the best. Elam is trending towards great play in big moments against the best competition. I remember the pick of Mahomes and stellar play to close out the fins. What was Elam’s PFF grade vs the Bengals? Was it Frazier’s off press scheme that was the issue? 

we also played against the dolphins 5th string qb and in a blizzard. While opposing teams still moved the ball, that context my help contribute to his jump.

• Eyeroll 1

14 hours ago, Mat68 said:

When he was put in position to play press he did very well.  He was inexperienced in zone so that is where his struggles came.  I come away thinking Elam was drafted with the Wallace Kelce play from the playoffs stuck in the organizations head.  Vs Cincy they played similar coverage.  I think Mcdermott goes more Jim Johnson than Frazier in 23.   White Elam and Johnson asked to do more.  

I hope they get more aggressive, this zero risk philosophy has killed the chances of winning big games for far too long.  The O can ball, take some chances on D.  If you get burned, let Allen go make up for it, if the D scores some points it wouldn’t be so bad.  Continuing to let teams move the ball and eat clock is killing us, the best player is Allen, by a country mile, you don’t play to keep your best weapon off the field.. unless you are McClappy.  

21 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Because he played only one style in college certainly does not show that he can't play another in addition. And how he played late in the year sure seemed to me to show precisely that he was beginning to pick up playing zone, and pretty damn well.

Do you think it's going to change this year? My bet is there's maybe a 10% chance they'll play a lot of man-to-man, never mind press man. Maybe less than that. Likely they'll play some, enough to be unpredictable, perhaps more than last year,  but IMO they're not switching the whole coverage scheme this year. McDermott comes out of the Jim Johnson system and even that far back it was built around mostly zone coverage.

We didn't draft a press man CB. We drafted a CB who had not played much of anything but man in college but was a guy they felt could transition to playing plenty of zone as well. So far it seems to have worked out.

Edited by Thurman#1

22 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Hopefully we won’t have tragedies of the Tops shooting, Knox’s brother dieing tragically, two smowmageddon events, and oh by the way our back up safety 

Don't fotget the Ice Storm and Earthquake! 🙂

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I hope they get more aggressive, this zero risk philosophy has killed the chances of winning big games for far too long.  The O can ball, take some chances on D.  If you get burned, let Allen go make up for it, if the D scores some points it wouldn’t be so bad.  Continuing to let teams move the ball and eat clock is killing us, the best player is Allen, by a country mile, you don’t play to keep your best weapon off the field.. unless you are McClappy.  

Your main point is spot on.  When you have a star QB/high scoring team, you should unleash an aggressive defense.  This is KC style, Dolphins, Eagles...

I'm hopeful with Coach taking over the defense, he gets more multiple with his looks/scheme and more aggressive.  At the same time, as a head coach you usually look to hire a coordinator (especially being defensive minded) who shares the same or very similar philosophies.  Water under the bridge now, and not turning this into a Frazier thread, but i think alot of players could see a huge leap in production this year (Elam included).

On 5/21/2023 at 12:30 PM, Allen2Diggs said:

You are absolutely correct about Elam and White determining our fate but you forgot Hyde & Poyer.

They are just as important and way more iffy at this point.

The good news is if by some miracle everyone stays back there stays healthy we could be really good if KD takes a huge step in 2023-24….

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/21/2023 at 12:25 PM, Don Otreply said:

Three interceptions in his rookie season, and playing a lot of zone, when his strength is in man/press, I anticipate a very good upcoming season. 

He also seemed to show up big in important moments (picked off Mahomes in the endzone, pick down in the wild card game). The game wasn't too big for the young man. That can't be taught.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.