Matt Araiza

SCBills

2 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

The kid was screwed by this organization.  They should have put him on non injury leave and paid him until this played out.

They couldn't. Since the incident occured before he was Drafted, the only options they had were to keep him a rostered member of the team or cut ties. There was no option for an Exemption from the league.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

They couldn't. Since the incident occured before he was Drafted, the only options they had were to keep him a rostered member of the team or cut ties. There was no option for an Exemption from the league.

Ah gotcha. I still would have like them to state "innocent until proven guilty". Instead they caved to "me too" and media pressure.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

45 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Ah gotcha. I still would have like them to state "innocent until proven guilty". Instead they caved to "me too" and media pressure.

They did state it was innocent until proven guilty and that it was a hard decision for them to make. I think there was more than just the pressure from media and fans that went into it as well. The fact that he knew this was going on and didn't say anything about it was also a factor.

But the bottom line is they couldn't play him with what was going on. And they couldn't get an exemption. So they would have had to use 2 roster spots on Punters until he was cleared, without knowing if he would be. And you just can't do that, especially at the Punter position.

Regardless of his name being cleared by law enforcement, as long as the civil case is still open and it's still hanging over his head, no one is going to give him a shot. If he played a more important position, maybe. But he hasn't gotten an opportunity because this hasn't fully gone away yet.

https://www.kpbs.org/news/public-safety/2023/09/15/judge-denies-matt-araizas-request-to-hold-rape-lawsuit-trial-next-month

Now... if Sam Martin continues to be hot and cold and if Araiza's trial is completed with a not guilty fully clearing his name and being done with everything and if Araiza wants to come back here - maybe they would bring him to camp next season. Because there is an Out in Sam Martin's deal after this season. But that's the soonest you'll see it, if ever, @Buffalo Barbarian

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/sam-martin-12447/

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

"It has since emerged that the evidence does not add up to the accusations based on what the San Diego County District Attorney's office has revealed. It seems that the punter was not present at the time the act took place and the criminal charges against him have been dropped. "

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/matt-araiza-update-where-is-former-bills-punter-now/ar-AA1iWiwQ

The Bills should bring him back,  never really liked Sam Martin.  So many teams now have a punter that can flip the field with booming punts and Martin is not that.  I saw video of his accuser and the whole thing was a take down for money.  Even if the season does not go anywhere it would be nice to give Matt another chance and see what he can do

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

One week ago, Sam Martin had the best punting game of the year in the NFL; this week, we're ready to ditch him. People?

Special teams players of the week

Sam Martin, punter, Buffalo. In an odd way, Martin had one of the most impactful games a punter ever could have Thursday night against Tampa Bay. Amazing that Martin is in here, seeing that he never booted the football for the first 39 minutes of Buffalo’s 24-18 win. His first punt, with 20 minutes left in the game, pinned Tampa at its 3-yard line. His second punt, with 14 minutes left, pinned Tampa at its 4-yard line. His third punt, with 10 minutes left, pinned Tampa at its 8-yard line. Crazy thing: Martin did it one more time, and the ball was hanging in the air at the 1-yard line, and the Buffalo gunner couldn’t bat it back into play.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Vomit 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, CSBill said:

One week ago, Sam Martin had the best punting game of the year in the NFL; this week, we're ready to ditch him. People?

Sam Martin, punter, Buffalo. In an odd way, Martin had one of the most impactful games a punter ever could have Thursday night against Tampa Bay. Amazing that Martin is in here, seeing that he never booted the football for the first 39 minutes of Buffalo’s 24-18 win. His first punt, with 20 minutes left in the game, pinned Tampa at its 3-yard line. His second punt, with 14 minutes left, pinned Tampa at its 4-yard line. His third punt, with 10 minutes left, pinned Tampa at its 8-yard line. Crazy thing: Martin did it one more time, and the ball was hanging in the air at the 1-yard line, and the Buffalo gunner couldn’t bat it back into play.

You new here?

• Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

The Bills should bring him back,  never really liked Sam Martin.  So many teams now have a punter that can flip the field with booming punts and Martin is not that.  I saw video of his accuser and the whole thing was a take down for money.  Even if the season does not go anywhere it would be nice to give Matt another chance and see what he can do

Now would be nice. Put him on the practice squad so he can be back around the team. Get all the media scrutiny out of the way now. Make a wrong, right. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Now would be nice. Put him on the practice squad so he can be back around the team. Get all the media scrutiny out of the way now. Make a wrong, right. 

I agree,  Martin is not the answer. Our special teams has been terrible most of the season and we are always losing the field position game

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

The kid was screwed by this organization.  They should have put him on non injury leave and paid him until this played out.

Kid was screwed by at least half this board and public opinion, versus letting all of the facts play out.  If people don’t recall, Beane’s hand was essentially forced, some here saying he took too long to act.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Sam Martin has been above average overall and that’s plenty fine enough for me.

Cutting him would result in almost $1MM in dead cap. Do I want to take that to potentially slightly upgrade our punter with a guy who is currently on the street?

No.

• Sad 1
  • Disagree 1

It all started going south once the Araiza stuff happened. Maybe we can right the ship. Bring him back 

23 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Araiza seemed like a good placeholder for Bass and could be a backup kicker 

Not to mention that Bass has missed more this year than previously has he not? So maybe Martin is losing it at holding as well. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Ok, dude would kill the ball from the 10 yard line and net over 50.  Fine.

Just wait until he is asked for a shorter coffin corner punt and he fails.  Will there be “bring back Martin threads”?

How do you know that MA hasn’t been working on that part of his game? I mean, he’s had a lot of free time, so I would assume that he’s not just sitting on the couch watching MeTV. And of course you can’t deny that he has one of the strongest legs in recent years. You did see that 80 yarder during the preseason, right?

47 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Kid was screwed by at least half this board and public opinion, versus letting all of the facts play out.  If people don’t recall, Beane’s hand was essentially forced, some here saying he took too long to act.

There’s a few major Bills accounts/groups that I will never support or follow due to how they acted during this.  

Absolutely shameful how some in this fanbase treated this kid. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

I think Araiza got done wrong by all parties involved including the Bills. That said why would he even give the Bills the time or day since they chose to kick him to the curb instead of standing by him! I wouldn't blame him one bit for ignoring the Bills and giving them the middle finger!

Edited by LarryMadman
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, mrags said:

It all started going south once the Araiza stuff happened. Maybe we can right the ship. Bring him back 

Not to mention that Bass has missed more this year than previously has he not? So maybe Martin is losing it at holding as well. 

I would respect the Pegulas now that Araiza has been completely vindicated if the reports are true, to give him an opportunity.  I don’t know if he has the directional ability to pin the ball close to the end zone based on where we are on the field.  He definitely has the leg to boom it.

4 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Just wait until he is asked for a shorter coffin corner punt and he fails.  Will there be “bring back Martin threads”?

His career went into a coffin. Maybe he picked that up along the way…

In all seriousness, a punter isn’t changing this season. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CSBill said:

Yes because Bills fans are more reactionary than Iran. 

17 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

Hard pass -- just because he wasnt found guilty does not mean he was found innocent.

Prosecuters declined to go after him based on single eye witness testimony from one of Arizas friends. So no one even had a chance to weigh his guilt really

There’s a reason no other team has touched him. 

1 hour ago, boyst said:

my favorite thread of the last 3 years was the pitchfork thread for this guy. probably the largest thread in this place over the last 3 years.

I got lynched by the mob on their way to Araiza, I defended him like no other, told everybody it was how it was and almost nobody cared. I have a lot of Crow waiting to cram down their throats!

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

I got lynched by the mob on their way to Araiza, I defended him like no other, told everybody it was how it was and almost nobody cared. I have a lot of Crow waiting to cram down their throats!

Dude, we don't care about a punter. You're talking about a PUNTER. We're Bills fans, not Aztec fans or Araiza fanboys.

• Vomit 1
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, BillsFan692 said:

Hard pass -- just because he wasnt found guilty does not mean he was found innocent.

Oh sure. He was cleared but let's never hire this talented young man for  the rest of his football life. 

In this case, never mind the Bills, why isn't he hired somewhere  in the league? He is a free agent.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Oh sure. He was cleared but let's never hire this talented young man for  the rest of his football life. 

In this case, never mind the Bills, why isn't he hired somewhere  in the league? He is a free agent.

The civil trial is still hanging over his head.  No team will touch him until that case makes its way through the court system

7 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

I recall he had a workout with the Jets, but no other action I can remember 

4 hours ago, CSBill said:

Yeah but he doesn't have a cool nickname! 

Honestly I'm willing to be wrong but I'd rather flip the field then coffin kick, and maybe the kid can get it under wraps. It really should be no surprise that fans want something "exciting" at a boring position. Not even saying their right, but it's not illogical either 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, davefan66 said:

nope, if you are that close with this offense, you go for it.  

33 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

The civil trial is still hanging over his head.  No team will touch him until that case makes its way through the court system

ridiculous.  The Civil Trial is a money grab with a lower standard of proof.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.