Matt Araiza

SCBills

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm really curious about what the actual roadblocks to signing Araiza are.

Not even for right now. Just ever.

There are none, he’ll be competing in a trading camp next season, maybe here.

21 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm really curious about what the actual roadblocks to signing Araiza are.

Not even for right now. Just ever.

I think he gets a shot to prove himself with a team in Training Camp. Midseason, teams have their Punter situation settled. Teams carry one and if someone gets hurt, they go out and sign someone else. Teams don't carry Punters on the Practice Squad. 

And as I've said previously, he's been out of Football for the 2022 and 2023 seasons. Prior to that, he played in only one Pre-Season game and Punted the ball in that game just once. So where he's at now and his potential is a complete unknown. So even if there were an injury, teams aren't going to just throw a guy on the field with no experience. Especially not in the Playoffs.

Compounding all of that is the off the field noise. Yes, he has been cleared of possibly criminal charges and the civil lawsuit has been recently dropped. But the fact remains that anyone who signs him is going to have to deal with being the team that signed the guy who was accused of sexual assault. The media is going to make a thing of it for a bit and the story is going to be brought back up.

Part of that story includes a public admission that he slept with an underaged girl. Yes, he didn't know. But for a lot of people, it doesn't matter. He still slept with an underage girl and his admission to doing so is public record. Which is not going to go over well with a lot of fans of whoever signs him.

And on top of all of that... he's a Punter. If he were a QB or a WR or something, teams would be willing to deal with a bit of a distraction. But for a Punter and a Punter who is essentially a developmental prospect? Most GM's aren't wanting to deal with questions regarding a frickin' Punter. 

Like I said, I do think there's a chance someone gives him a shot in the Offseason, where dealing with any sort of distraction is much easier to deal with. And at a time when Punting competitions are happening and developmental prospects have a chance to prove they can handle Game Day. But midseason and especially now? It's no surprise to me he's been unsigned.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

There are none, he’ll be competing in a trading camp next season, maybe here.

I hope it's here. I mean, they drafted him. I don't think they did him dirty when releasing him. I didn't get the feeling there was any ill will from him towards the team either. Would be nice to continue on the path they were taking.

Just a reminder that Araiza has minimal to zero holding experience at any level.

Bojo was a decent punter here but holding cost him his job. 

Give me a guy with a slightly above average net punt and a long career of holding for field goals outside over a guy who basically ended up being a camp leg 2 seasons ago and never held a meaningful field goal in his life. 

Reassess in the offseason if you want but not this playoff run.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

Just a reminder that Araiza has minimal to zero holding experience at any level.

Give me a guy with a slightly above average net punt and a long career of holding for field goals outside over a guy who basically ended up being a camp leg 2 seasons ago and never held a meaningful field goal in his life. 

Bojo calling his own fake and had a good amount of 25 yard shanks cost him his job

He did not have a lot of botched holds... And.. even if the laces aren't spun it's the kickers job to make it...

nobody is getting rid of a punter because of holding duties if he has a consistent leg actually... And doesn't drop snaps

He was the most inconsistent punter in the league... Would bomb a 65 yards then 29

McDermott would rather have someone kick it 41 yards consistently

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Bojo calling his own fake punts and had a good amount of 20 yard shanks cost him his job

He did not have a lot of botched handles... And nobody is getting rid of a punter because of holding duties if he has a leg actually

He was the most inconsistent punter in the league... Would bomb at 65 yards then 29

Bojos biggest critique in Buffalo and GB was his holding duty. A lot goes into a good hold outside of flubbing it.

Sure, if you’re Shane Lechler you could get away with being a dope on FG’s because you’re like the best ever. But punters do in fact get released because they aren’t good holders, especially when teams have a good place kicker. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Mango said:

Bojos biggest critique in Buffalo and GB was his holding duty. A lot goes into a good hold outside of flubbing it.

Sure, if you’re Shane Lechler you could get away with being a dope on FG’s because you’re like the best ever. But punters do in fact get released because they aren’t good holders, especially when teams have a good place kicker. 

He certainly wasn't the best holder... 

But nobody is firing a competent NFL punter because of holding duties... It's actually not that hard... And most punters do not get fired for lack of holding

And his ineptness is overblown..

I remember going through every single kick that last year and there was not more than a few laces not turned... It was not like it was 80% unturned laces

It was like 4-5 kicks including extra points over an entire season...

That's not as big as an issue as shanking bad punts or lacking hang time 

He also was just not re signed... the bills did not cut him... 

But he's always had a problem with shanking punts at bad times and doesn't have the greatest hang Time and can outkick coverage....

The browns kicker Cade York loves him as a holder 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dr.Sack said:

Punters also need to be able to make an effort to tackle. You can’t play Martin with one leg. Araiza makes too much sense so it won’t happen. 

You can play him if he kicks everything out of bounds.   Otherwise I'd agree though.   Gotta' have 11 on 11.

4 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Ariaza can do kickoffs and punting. Bass is toast. Might as well let the Punt God become the Kick God. 

Great points. Man , bass has turned into a head case , kicking at under 82% , which is lowest of his career i think. Don’t want to be caught depending on him at this point.   I would seriously be looking to bring someone in if possible if i was beane , and somehow bass would unfortunately slip and end up on IR for the remainder of this playoff drive.

. He could have lost this game for us, who wants everyone’s hard work and win streak to be lost because a kicker is slumping ?  I would be looking, with all the injuries , margin of victory seems to be thinning.   Make a move beane , bass has not been dependable most of the year. It’s a trend and not just a bad game. Let’s not chance or waste another year of josh’s excellence!  

15 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Will you people get over Araiza, there’s a reason no one has even given him a look 

And what is that reason? 

The Jests actually did give him a look in August, so your statement is fake news.

So I gotta assume we'll bring in a free agent punter by tomorrow, just in case Martin is absolutely unable to go.

Araiza would be a long shot - you don't want a guy who's never punted (or held) in an NFL game to make his debut in the playoffs.

What veteran current free agent punters are out there? I can't find a reliable list. 

11 hours ago, Mango said:

With our kicker, I don't think it matters how good a holder Martin is. 

12 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yeah, it is. As competition for Martin in Training Camp after the season. But not right now.

Why not... he is the only Punter out that that has been coached by Smiley, the only punter that has caught snaps from reid Ferguson, and only punter that has held for Tyler Bass. At this point in the season you want familiarity... bringing in any one else could potentially cost us a game if they miss catch a snap.

There is a guy who has been with this team in the past and was cut due to false claims. This would be perfect situation to get him back in the fold. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Kmart128 said:

Why not... he is the only Punter out that that has been coached by Smiley, the only punter that has caught snaps from reid Ferguson, and only punter that has held for Tyler Bass. At this point in the season you want familiarity... bringing in any one else could potentially cost us a game if they miss catch a snap.

There is a guy who has been with this team in the past and was cut due to false claims. This would be perfect situation to get him back in the fold. 

He has not played meaningful football since 2021. 

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

He has not played meaningful football since 2021. 

And the other punter off the street have played in meaningful games? Would would you rather have? Come on. A punter can easily stay in shape and kick balls... its not like any other position in the NFL.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Kmart128 said:

And the other punter off the street have played in meaningful games? Would would you rather have? Come on. A punter can easily stay in shape and kick balls... its not like any other position in the NFL.

And any punter that has played meaningful games this year got cut for being bad. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Wow. Excellent points. But you are incorrect. Matt Haack is out there as well. Not who I would want but you really made a strong case for him inadvertently.

1 minute ago, Kmart128 said:

Id rather have a punter who's played in the NFL - EVER.  Whos played in a cold weather game - EVER.  Who has held for a field goal in a game - EVER.  

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Id rather have a punter who's played in the NFL - EVER.  Whos played in a cold weather game - EVER.  Who has held for a field goal in a game - EVER.  

You want a guy who:

- won't fumble a snap

- will get the kick off on time

- will be generally adequate: sufficient hang time to prevent a big return, etc.

Anything else is a bonus.

Sometimes "just good enough" is good enough. There are guys out there who've punted a lot in the NFL, who've stayed in punting shape, who are waiting by the phone .... Sam Martin was one of those guys when the Araiza thing blew up.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'd say you want a trusted old hand even more. We've seen lots of veteran free agent signed-off-the-street punters and FG kickers come in with a couple days of practice and perform decently the very next Sunday.

Agreed.  As much as I think Araiza deserves another chance, now is not the time.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, Brand J said:

Araiza has at least held for FGs throughout training camp, no other punter has with this unit. 

That was 18 months ago.  Someone want to bet the Bills playoff life on that?

Edited by FLFan

10 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Agreed.  As much as I think Araiza deserves another chance, now is not the time.  

It's hard for a QB to learn a new system in a couple practices. It's hard for an O lineman to learn a team-specific blocking scheme, or a WR to learn a team-specific route tree, or a DB to learn team-specific coverages.

But every NFL team does exactly the same thing on punts and FG attempts. Not that big a deal for an experienced hand (err, foot)

9 minutes ago, FLFan said:

That was 18 months ago.  Someone want to bet the Bills playoff life on that?

Thats what it comes down to. Outside of the whole rape allegations he just does not have the experience to step onto a team in the playoffs. 

16 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Probably true. Araiza may be a talented punter but he’s never punted in an NFL game and hasn’t punted in any game in more than two years.  This is the playoffs and weather conditions won’t be ideal.  There are experienced punters on the street who can fill in.  Hell, we signed Martin off the street and he did just fine.

• Like (+1) 1

I’d be down for Matt, but given he has no actual NFL experience, this feels like an off season type move not a playoff run move where they may want someone they know better what they will be getting and that they have experience at this level.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It's hard for a QB to learn a new system in a couple practices. It's hard for an O lineman to learn a team-specific blocking scheme, or a WR to learn a team-specific route tree, or a DB to learn team-specific coverages.

But every NFL team does exactly the same thing on punts and FG attempts. Not that big a deal for an experienced hand (err, foot)

Understood.   And it could work out.  

But I'd be more comfortable in the playoffs with a punter who's played in the NFL before (both as a punter and a holder) and has done so recently.

But Araiza does know how to hold and can kick the snot out of a ball.  

If we want someone that played recently Matt Haack was cut by the Browns a few weeks back. In the very least he has taken snaps from Ferguson and knows the winds of Highmark stadium, he might be a good short term answer if Martin can't play. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1

18 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

He's a free agent and available.  We can and might sign him tomorrow.

We  can go after any player not under K right now; we can also sign any off another team's practice squad as long as his team is out of playoffs.

I'd like to see a link as corroboration for this.  Generally, contracts normally expire March first, so even if Bojorquez has played his final game for Cleveland, the Bills would not be able to sign him until well after the Super Bowl.  Before I believe anything differently, someone would have to show me why and how Bojorquez would be available.  On the other hand Araiza would be a quick easy fix.  The question would be, has Araiza done anything to address his shortcomings as a punter.  Hang time has been an issue for Araiza.  He's got great distance on his punts, but sometimes the altitude is not very good.  It's also said that in college, he gave no consideration to pinning opponents inside the 20 on shorter punts where that was a possibility.  I would hope that he's been working on those things since the sexual misconduct allegations torpedoed his start in the league.  

4 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

False.

Matt Haack was recently made a Free Agent. He has actual experience on Sunday's and has more of a rapport with everyone you mentioned than Araiza does.

It'll be Haack, not Araiza, if Martin can't go this week. It's not even a question, save for Araiza fanatics that just want to will it to to happen.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.