If You Could Pick Any RB to Line Up Behind Josh

The draft is over and preseason hasn't begun so I find myself with weird offseason musings.  Today's useless speculation has to do with the Bills' running game.  I was wondering if I could pick any RB in history to start for the Bills this season, who would it be?

I think Jim Brown and OJ are the two greatest backs in history, so they'd be fun to see in the backfield with Josh.  Multipurpose Thurman would be great with this offense.  Even Cookie Gilchrist would be awesome.  Today's defenders are often smaller than the defenders of yore.  It's a passing league now.  Defensive schemes and players these days are better at coverage than stopping a battering ram.  I'd be cheering, "Lookie, Lookie, Here comes Cookie!" as Gilchrist ran over pint-sized nickel backs.  

But the guy who really jumped out of my memory was Earl Campbell.  If an opponent lined up in a nickel or dime to stop Josh, Earl would obliterate them.  Earl was such a strong, violent runner.  How would a modern defense stop both Earl and Josh?  I don't think any team could.  

As for current backs, I'd probably most want King Henry.  

Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 1

Barry had the issue with dancing and not just hitting the hole.  I'd like a guy like Faulk or a prime Shady for a complete runner/receiver, or a big monstrous bruiser like Earl Campbell or Henry in his prime.  I wouldn't turn away 1990-1991 Thurman either.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

The draft is over and preseason hasn't begun so I find myself with weird offseason musings.  Today's useless speculation has to do with the Bills' running game.  I was wondering if I could pick any RB in history to start for the Bills this season, who would it be?

I think Jim Brown and OJ are the two greatest backs in history, so they'd be fun to see in the backfield with Josh.  Multipurpose Thurman would be great with this offense.  Even Cookie Gilchrist would be awesome.  Today's defenders are often smaller than the defenders of yore.  It's a passing league now.  Defensive schemes and players these days are better at coverage than stopping a battering ram.  I'd be cheering, "Lookie, Lookie, Here comes Cookie!" as Gilchrist ran over pint-sized nickel backs.  

But the guy who really jumped out of my memory was Earl Campbell.  If an opponent lined up in a nickel or dime to stop Josh, Earl would obliterate them.  Earl was such a strong, violent runner.  How would a modern defense stop both Earl and Josh?  I don't think any team could.  

As for current backs, I'd probably most want King Henry.  

Thoughts?

I’d take any of these greats to play on this offense. Todays gen I would take King Henry or Barkley all day and it would truly be unstoppable offense . 

This isn’t just the Homer part of me, I think Thurman would be excellent in this offense. 

Faulk too, I think he’s even said once if he was a Bill during that time they would’ve won a Super Bowl. 

Though maybe I’m misremembering, I do definitely remember him saying he would’ve loved to play in that offense. 

• Like (+1) 2

Thurman 

He's so underrated.  I was too young to see him play but the games and highlights I seen are incredible.  He was the catalyst for that great offense 

And majority of the games I've seen were in the playoffs , he came up big in big games 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1

now- Bijan. I’m thinking this kid is going to be special, and I want the RB with the lowest mileage on the tires combined with elite skill set.

past- Barry. All time RB1.  Dude just ran different, never seen another like him. Plus the numbers he put up, considering everybody knew he was the Lions offense, just ridiculous. 

I'd like to see former Bills with Josh.

AFL-Cookie Gilchrist

NFL-Thurman Thomas

All you younger Bills fans missed out watching Cookie play football.  It was something to behold. 

Talk about intensity, they were meant to play with each other.

2 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

This isn’t just the Homer part of me, I think Thurman would be excellent in this offense. 

Faulk too, I think he’s even said once if he was a Bill during that time they would’ve won a Super Bowl. 

Though maybe I’m misremembering, I do definitely remember him saying he would’ve loved to play in that offense. 

Thurman Thomas was Marshall Faulk before Faulk 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'd like to see former Bills with Josh.

AFL-Cookie Gilchrist

NFL-Thurman Thomas

All you younger Bills fans missed out watching Cookie play football.  It was something to behold. 

Talk about intensity, they were meant to play with each other.

Cookie was one tough dude.  I've heard 60s Bills players tell different versions of this story...

The Bills were playing the Pats.  Early in the game, Cookie finds a hole.  A 2nd level defender moves forward to make the tackle.  Cookie could have tried to slip to the right or left and then broken the arm tackle.  But Cookie loved contact.  He lowers his head and destroys the Pats tackler in a horrific collision.  They had to take the poor schmuck off the field on a stretcher.  Cookie then goes over to the Pats sideline and shouts something like, 'Which one of your muthafutzers is next?'  (The actual quote might have been R rated).   According to Cookie's teammates, the Pats lost heart after that and the Bills cruised to victory.

Can you imagine Diggs and Cookie on the same offense?  Diggs would love it.  Cookie's violent physicality would be an inspiration for the entire team. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Cookie was one tough dude.  I've heard 60s Bills players tell different versions of this story...

The Bills were playing the Pats.  Early in the game, Cookie finds a hole.  A 2nd level defender moves forward to make the tackle.  Cookie could have tried to slip to the right or left and then broken the arm tackle.  But Cookie loved contact.  He lowers his head and destroys the Pats tackler in a horrific collision.  They had to take the poor schmuck off the field on a stretcher.  Cookie then goes over to the Pats sideline and shouts something like, 'Which one of your muthafutzers is next?'  (The actual quote might have been R rated).   According to Cookie's teammates, the Pats lost heart after that and the Bills cruised to victory.

Can you imagine Diggs and Cookie on the same offense?  Diggs would love it.  Cookie's violent physicality would be an inspiration for the entire team. 

That game is engrained in my memory of Buffalo Bills football.  My mom, who's still a big fan, talked my dad into going to meet them

at the airport in a snowstorm.  It was crazy!  My 2 older brothers and I still talk about it.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

That game is engrained in my memory of Buffalo Bills football.  My mom, who's still a big fan, talked my dad into going to meet them

at the airport in a snowstorm.  It was crazy!  My 2 older brothers and I still talk about it.

Just a bit before my time.  The earliest Bills RB I remember is Mini Max Andersen.  

Didn't Larry Felser used to say that Cookie - in his prime - was as good as Jim Brown?  You're a lucky man to have seen him play.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.