Poona Ford signing with the Bills

mathja

55 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I'm not sure if you're referring to Settle's playing time or cutting him when you say the end for him? His dead cap hit is almost a million more than his cap hit this year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tim-settle-25264/

You're correct just thought folks would want to see what you're talking about

Keep in mind this was a re-work the Bills did this off season to lower his cap hit this year at the expense of creating more dead money next

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

At his age Daquon needs to be year to year.   I'm really hoping for a MLB that doesn't need to be kept spotless.   Instincts would be a nice change.

Yes , agreed on both counts

Settle is not awful , but Oliver cant hold down two lineman at the line, and of course was not acquired to do so.
My idea for getting a true MLB was not solved during FA although perhaps it could have been ?
Maybe Dorian will develop into that. But 1st season I want him to have the help up front with another player like Jones via the draft to allow him time to process whats about to happen to him LOL

Wishful , I know

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

If we manage to sign a legit pass rusher, shut it down … I don’t want to hear about the loss of Edmunds… this becomes a proper, elite level defense. 

Sign Josh Allen from the Jaguars next year.

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

“5 feet 11 and 310 pounds, he is one of the most uniquely shaped defensive tackles but with the wingspan of a 6-foot-8 human being. The shorter base and long arms help him keep defenders off his pads while holding his ground. Ford seems like a terrific fit for the one-technique position in the Bills’ defensive scheme, which is also Jones’ natural spot. Ford will likely be a core rotational defensive tackle” - Joe B The Athletic

We'll see.

Hopeful though !

Go Bills

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Ed’s playing for his next contract… my read is it’s going to be his best year by far

Some posters say this a lot when a contract year comes up for a player. I mean if considering the circumstances regarding the situation the upcoming contract year and there's no significant difference from last year(s).... 

I just ask do you really believe said player just because of his contract year will now light it up and have his record year suddenly? 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Surely the end for Tim Settle? Poona and Daquan as the 1T, Ed and Big Phil at 3T. 

But still 0 DTs signed beyond 2023.

i think not for Settle, age is a factor

But leverage to add 2 years ??

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yes I know. They could also extend Oliver. I don’t get the logic here. How is a player too good to trade but not good enough to extend?

Opportunity cost

He's too good to trade because it leaves a gaping hole in the defense and you are not committed to him beyond this year.

He's not good enough to extend because there is a salary cap and you can't pay everyone.  If you extend Oliver you really eat up a lot of cap in the future.  

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

I don't think that about Settle.  I could see us carrying 5 Dts, especially with how snake bit they were with injuries at Dt LY.

Beyond 2023, my money is on an Ed extension sometime before training camp.  Daquon is likely a year-to-year type at this point of his career, similar to Phillips.  Then certainly FA/draft, not worried about 2024 at this point.

I hope McBeane has concerns about 2024 and is thinking ahead !

5 hours ago, mannc said:

And this is why you don't spend a first round pick on defensive tackles, unless they are Jeffrey Simmons, Chris Jones or Aaron Donald. 

You don’t know if they are those guys until they are drafted and play a while, lol. If you have a crystal ball to know how draft picks will work out, could you give me some stock tips?

11 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Some posters say this a lot when a contract year comes up for a player. I mean if considering the circumstances regarding the situation the upcoming contract year and there's no significant difference from last year(s).... 

I just ask do you really believe said player just because of his contract year will now light it up and have his record year suddenly? 

I do… my opinion on Ed. Not light it up necessarily but the best he has to offer consistently. 

business decision

4 hours ago, buffaloaggie said:

Poona makes whoever we play's job at ILB a lot easier. Double team Ford, and it frees up the linebacker to make plays. Not sure anyone really was double teamed on the D-line. Sure always seemed like some blocker was there to account for Edmunds. 

DaQuon Jones did a better job of this than any Bills DT the past 10 seasons.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

Good signing especially if Phillips or Daquan get dinged like last year & have to sit for a couple of games i think he should be a big help in the run game too .

Beane is relentless i hope his entire career as a GM is with the Bills !! 

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Question: Do you feel Edmunds had a significantly better 2022 season than previously?

Some people who watch games closely seem to think so

Others point out that his statistics for tackles etc were very similar to previous years, and attribute improvement to better line play keeping the LB clean

20 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Question: Do you feel Edmunds had a significantly better 2022 season than previously?

Some people who watch games closely seem to think so

Others point out that his statistics for tackles etc were very similar to previous years, and attribute improvement to better line play keeping the LB clean

I did think Edmunds had a little bit of a better year, however I have always said that with the addition of Miller helping in not only of QB pressure but he also is a big factor for what factored in some improvement on DL, those I would say helped in a much bigger way in Edmunds improved season than just being his a contract year 

Edited by Patrick Duffy

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This is HUGE.  Both literally and figuratively.  Absolutely great signing. 1 down, 1 to go (Leonard Floyd)?

Give me a hungry Justin Houston he wants a title badly and he’s still a beast getting 9.5 sks last season in 10 or so games. Plus he plays well when he faces his old team the Chiefs. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, mjt328 said:

All the people pushing to trade Ed Oliver...

What kind of return do you think the Bills can get?

$11mil in free cap space that we can hopefully use to re-sign Micah Hyde next year.  And probably a day 3 draft pick.  I like Oliver I just don't think the Bills can afford him right now.  

34 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

You don’t know if they are those guys until they are drafted and play a while, lol. If you have a crystal ball to know how draft picks will work out, could you give me some stock tips?

They're not too hard to identify:  There's about one per draft class.  They physically dominate opposing offensive linemen and demonstrate the ability to consistently blow up the pocket and sack the quarterback against Power 5 competition.  Jalen Carter was the only one available this year and there is seldom more than one in any draft.  Other examples include Derek Brown and Quinnen Williams.  There are maybe 7 or 8 in the whole league. 

18 minutes ago, stlbills13 said:

I'm not trying to overreact to a guy who may not even play 50% of the snaps but this is a Super Bowl winning move to me. The top teams live off short term moves like this every year 

He’s a pff grade 56 player. Let’s pump the breaks. No one signed him let alone his own team who is incredibly woeful at stopping the run.

he’s nothing more than a JAG body for DL rotations 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

DaQuon Jones did a better job of this than any Bills DT the past 10 seasons.

It feels like that because Star Lotulelei was such trash but it was only 4 years and 3 seasons actually played by The Polynesian Pylon.   Dareus was playing excellent at 1 tech in 2017 before the trade and carried that over in Jax the rest of that year.  Prior years, the KW and MD combo were excellent but different systems with very different asks of DT's.   Daquan was just solid.........but yeah, it was a relief after the horrible Beane additions of 2018-2021.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Add a veteran pass rusher now and the DL is loaded.

Oliver

Jones

Phillips

Settle

Ford

Oliver definitely getting traded, but for what? Future draft pick or a MLB?

Ed probably benefits from this more than anyone. He needs a big 1 tech next to him to chew up blockers so he can get after the qb.

• Like (+1) 1

Pretty excited about this one. I know he's a "run stopper" but he get's pretty good penetration too. I also like Daquan, feeling pretty good about the 1T.

I'm a Jordan P. fan but it was tough watching him down the stretch last year with that gimp arm. If we have to make room somewhere I think I keep Oliver & Settle over Jordan at 3T @ this point. Availability and upside and all.

Edited by babulator
  • Disagree 1

20 minutes ago, balln said:

He’s a pff grade 56 player. Let’s pump the breaks. No one signed him let alone his own team who is incredibly woeful at stopping the run.

he’s nothing more than a JAG body for DL rotations 

Seattle wanted him back, as did other teams offering more money. He’s not Sam Adams but he’s not a JAG either. It’s a great pickup at this point in the season when UFA’s don’t figure into the comp pick equation

• Like (+1) 5

To the “pay Ed Oliver” crowd .. 

Does it not concern you that we apparently need a 1-2 rotation of above average 1T’s next to Oliver to, hopefully, unlock his potential?

If he goes off, great … that’s not someone you pay.  That’s a luxury we won’t be able to afford.   

Random thoughts about Poona...

Poo graded out at 73 or better for his first three seasons on PFF.  70-84 on their scale is a "starter quality."  His rookie year, in limited action, he was a 90.  

Last year, he graded out at 56.  Apparently, he did not thrive as a 3-4 NT.   Though he did have 3 sacks, the most in his career. 

Obviously, he's better known as a run-stuffer than a sack artist.   According to an SI article written in 2021, "Ford's run defense grade ranks in the 85th percentile since breaking into the league as an undrafted rookie out of Texas in 2018."  

At aged 27 and back in a 4-3, we should see a Poo in his prime doing what we need him to do: clogging up the middle of the field.  

www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/pro-football-focus-ranks-seahawks-defensive-standouts-heading-towards-2021-season#:~:text=Poona%20Ford%20PFF%20Ranking%3A%2019th%20out%20of%2032,wasn%27t%20known%20for%20his%20interior%20pass%20rushing%20ability.

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

After the 2020 season:

Ford punished the opposition on the field this season, earning Pro Football Focus' sixth-highest rank amongst defensive tackles with at least 600 defensive snaps, coming in behind only Aaron Donald, Chris Jones, DeForest Buckner, Cameron Hayward, and Jeffrey Simmons.

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/a-lowco-hero-how-south-carolina-native-poona-ford-took-seattle-by-storm

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, SCBills said:

To the “pay Ed Oliver” crowd .. 

Does it not concern you that we apparently need a 1-2 rotation of above average 1T’s next to Oliver to, hopefully, unlock his potential?

If he goes off, great … that’s not someone you pay.  That’s a luxury we won’t be able to afford.   

It was stated up thread and I agree - keep Oliver this year and dont rock the boat. We shouldnt move him just so "we can get something back for him". Now if it is surprisingly a significant asset like a stud MLB or a speed outside WR, then maaayyybe. 

I think Oliver is more useful to the team this year, esp his contract year, than any reaasonable player we can get in return. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.