Poona Ford signing with the Bills

mathja

2 hours ago, Process said:

Very good signing. I'm interested to see the contract though. Rostering five vet DTs all making $3M+ per year doesn't seem like a great use of cap space. 

Tim Settle or Phillips would be an easy cut. Currently only Oliver and Jones would cause cap issues

Edited by JerseyBills

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Is he 3TDT then?  I was thinking 1T

I would think he’s the primary 1 tech backup with the ability to play 3T

low center of gravity and he’s also blocked kicks in college … ST versatility as rusher 

he’s definitely a 1 gap attacker but he might have to suck it up at play 1T here majority

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Who said Poona Ford was going to be the backup 1 tech?  Beane?   

Poona Ford has played his best football over the outside shoulder of the guard..........which is Ed Oliver's position in the Bills D.......3T.

I've always viewed him as a penetrating 3T.

Sal was just on and said he’s basically a 4-3 1 or 3 tech.  Can occupy a block, but isn’t a 2 gap space eater.  Is definitely more of a penetrating tackle. 

Seems like a guy that can rotate with and/or pair with Jones. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Poona Ford has played his best football over the outside shoulder of the guard..........which is Ed Oliver's position in the Bills D.......3T.

That's interesting. Lot of talk here that he is 1T. If he is indeed 3T, seems we have too many of those and not enough 1T.

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Settle is such an odd case because when Buffalo signed him countless Washington fans said how underrated he was.  He gets in Buffalo and proceeds to hardly do anything.  I’m not sure if he reaped the benefits of playing on a stacked DL in Washington or if he’s just not very good 

I think he flashed, albeit inconsistent, at 3-T...but we played him out of position in necessity at the 1-T at times.  

He was also injured LY too, just like all our Dts it seemed.  Hopefully they can stay healthy this year

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Sal was just on and said he’s basically a 4-3 1 or 3 tech.  Can occupy a block, but isn’t a 2 gap space eater.  Is definitely more of a penetrating tackle. 

Seems like a guy that can rotate with and/or pair with Jones. 

Yea he’s a 1 gap 1T or 3T… more of a penetrator 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

Settle is such an odd case because when Buffalo signed him countless Washington fans said how underrated he was.  He gets in Buffalo and proceeds to hardly do anything.  I’m not sure if he reaped the benefits of playing on a stacked DL in Washington or if he’s just not very good 

Settle, like our other DTs, was hurt early last season.  Groin injury in camp. Calf injury in week one.  Played through injury weeks 2 and 3 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

“We probably overplayed him,” Carroll said in January. “We would have liked him to rotate more. I really like him playing over the center, playing nose. It’s kind of his home base. He played a lot of three-technique and five-technique for us which was pushing him to a spot that he is not as familiar with, but he busted his tail. He’s really instinctive always, but I think we wore him down quite a bit because he did have to play a lot.”

Found this 

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/former-seahawk-poona-ford-reportedly-agrees-to-sign-with-bills/

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

I think he flashed, albeit inconsistent, at 3-T...but we played him out of position in necessity at the 1-T at times.  

He was also injured LY too, just like all our Dts it seemed.  Hopefully they can stay healthy this year

Agree, thought Settle made some plays too. I mean I'd guess he played about as well as anyone else on the Dline. Not much difference to make a big deal about imo

8 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

That's interesting. Lot of talk here that he is 1T. If he is indeed 3T, seems we have too many of those and not enough 1T.

Yeah I thought Buffalo interested him in part because of the opportunity to get back to 3T and make plays.    Al Woods was the 1T opposite him.   He's a free agent too and a much better 1T than Ford.    THAT guy is about on par with Daquon Jones.  He's old as dirt but still good.   Hopefully he follows Poona to Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

“We probably overplayed him,” Carroll said in January. “We would have liked him to rotate more. I really like him playing over the center, playing nose. It’s kind of his home base. He played a lot of three-technique and five-technique for us which was pushing him to a spot that he is not as familiar with, but he busted his tail. He’s really instinctive always, but I think we wore him down quite a bit because he did have to play a lot.”

Found this 

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/former-seahawk-poona-ford-reportedly-agrees-to-sign-with-bills/

Yeah Seattle switched to a 3-4 last season. 

If people recall........the Bills did that when Chan took over and hired George Edwards.

That forced Kyle Williams to play NT..........which was his best fit in THAT defense.........but he was terrible there.   Awful.   He either made a tackle or opened up a massive lane to run thru or the QB to step up thru.

That's what happened to Poona Ford.    He's not a real 2 gap NT.   DT1T is supposed to give some pass rush but I don't think that's what you want there.

• Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm not saying you're wrong here. I legitimately don't know, because I haven't watched much Seahawks football over the past couple years.

However, reading through the comments of Seahawks fans after this signing on FieldGulls (the SBNation site) and elsewhere, they seem to suggest that Ford was at his best in his first couple years with the team as a 1T. That the team then switched him to 3T out of necessity, where he was less effective, and then obviously they transitioned to a 3-4, where he no longer fits at all.

To hear some Hawks fans tell it, his best snaps have come at 1T rather than 3T. 

I honestly don't know who's correct here. It would be interesting to hear Beane speak on it directly if he hasn't already.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Oliver and Davis for DHOP makes sense now. 

Obviously I’m getting into Madden mode, but why not go big or go home at DT … allow our linebackers to fly around behind Jones, Poona, Phillips & Al Woods.  

Id make that trade in a second and swap out undersized Ed with another big DT. 

Now, why would Arizona want two guys on the last year of their rookie deal?… no clue. 

Edited by SCBills

41 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The same people that said we drafted Dorian Williams to be a backup LB.  Next we will hear we signed Poona to play special teams. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I think it's time for certain Bills fans to let the "trade Ed Oliver!" fever dream die once and for all.

He doesn't have much value. If you think he's so unimpressive that he's not worth re-signing to a second contract, then why would other teams be willing to give up major assets for him? 

If you just want his money off the books and you're willing to take a conditional 2024 5th, then sure, trade him away. Because that's the most you'd likely be getting in return.

If his rate of pay this year doesn't bother you, though, then you may as well ride out his final year and let him either have a great season and force your hand in re-signing him, or let him walk and receive a compensatory pick higher than the one you could likely trade him for.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

From his draft profile:

Ford played in a slant-heavy, scheme in 2017 that asked him to try and disrupt in the gaps. While Ford flashed the ability to stack blocks and play with some strength at the point of attack, his lack of overall mass could make it tough for teams to see him in anything other than a penetrating, 4-3 scheme. Ford has a shot at making a team, but his lack of physical traits will be a challenge.

Also, his first name is Kaylon. Poona comes from his grandmother calling him “Pooh” as a child. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Give Beane a raise.   Adding a starter-level DT?   How great is that?  

Keep adding talent all around the defense and I could play MLB.  

Beane did well here. The Bills D needed a guy like him. 

15 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm not saying you're wrong here. I legitimately don't know, because I haven't watched much Seahawks football over the past couple years.

However, reading through the comments of Seahawks fans after this signing on FieldGulls (the SBNation site) and elsewhere, they seem to suggest that Ford was at his best in his first couple years with the team as a 1T. That the team then switched him to 3T out of necessity, where he was less effective, and then obviously they transitioned to a 3-4, where he no longer fits at all.

To hear some Hawks fans tell it, his best snaps have come at 1T rather than 3T. 

I honestly don't know who's correct here. It would be interesting to hear Beane speak on it directly if he hasn't already.

Yeah see I was thinking 1 tech in Leslie Frazier Bills defense.   

Maybe it's an indicator that the Bills want more pass rush from the position and are less concerned about tying up blockers with a big body like Jones.......and with Tremaine gone and the style of defense likely to change a bit.

If he pans out as a 1 tech for Buffalo.......he might be in line for a contract extension in Buffalo with Daquon moving on instead of being extended?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Ford is 27 and, theoretically, should be in the prime of his career. 

I'm trying to avoid saying that his addition to the Bills' d-line could pay HUGE dividends, but, well...

Im hearing you and I support your optimism…

Between Ford and perhaps Oliver pulling out all the stops in a contract year… we might see some real improvements in the middle of that d-line…

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Found this 

So Pete Carroll seems to think NT or 1T is his "home base"?

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think it's time for certain Bills fans to let the "trade Ed Oliver!" fever dream die once and for all.

He doesn't have much value. If you think he's so unimpressive that he's not worth re-signing to a second contract, then why would other teams be willing to give up major assets for him? 

If you just want his money off the books and you're willing to take a conditional 2024 5th, then sure, trade him away. Because that's the most you'd likely be getting in return.

If his rate of pay this year doesn't bother you, though, then you may as well ride out his final year and let him either have a great season and force your hand in re-signing him, or let him walk and receive a compensatory pick higher than the one you could likely trade him for.

Lol, I think about that often when reading some of these trade scenarios that are posted. I don't understand why the ones that post those type of trade scenarios don't seem to take that into consideration...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Speedy athletic attacking linebackers make A LOT of sense behind a DT room consisting of Daquan Jones and Poona Ford.

What a homerun of a signing!!  Let's gooo!!

This! I think we are going to be pleasantly surprised by McDermott D, especially by the end of the year barring major injuries. But need to be patient. Beginning of year liable to be slow to get kinks out, might give up more big plays than in the past. PATIENCE.  I know everyone on this board will be just that...🙄🙄🙄

21 minutes ago, Logic said:

There you go with that LOGIC again! 

4 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Lol, I think about that often when reading some of these trade scenarios that are posted. I don't understand why the ones that post those type of trade scenarios don't seem to take that into consideration...

Has one of those “proposed trades” ever actually happened? It might have once for something obvious but I don’t recall the details. I wish people would give that up. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah see I was thinking 1 tech in Leslie Frazier Bills defense.   

Maybe it's an indicator that the Bills want more pass rush from the position and are less concerned about tying up blockers with a big body like Jones.......and with Tremaine gone and the style of defense likely to change a bit.

If he pans out as a 1 tech for Buffalo.......he might be in line for a contract extension in Buffalo with Daquon moving on instead of being extended?

Nope, lets keep Jones . and find his apprentice

I want two big bodies. next season or possibly this one post camp.
Keep the LBs clean please.

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

THIS

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So Pete Carroll seems to think NT or 1T is his "home base"?

Like KW.......a fellow meatball......NT was probably the least of the bad fits for him in a 3-4.   I think Carroll was just defending him for not being as impactful.   He played 20% less snaps in 2022 than 2021.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Oliver is better than his current perception on this board. 

Maybe.  I just don’t like his fit on our defense. 

If we’re going with a fast, undersized, more attacking style defense (which it seems like we are) I’d much rather have monster DT’s up front.. not another undersized guy taking a ton of snaps. 

• Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.