RD 1, Pick 25: TE Dalton Kincaid, Utah

SDS

30 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

I completely agree. I don't think Dorsey is the next Andy Reid but dorsey haters will not acknowledge how handcuffed dorsey was when oj Howard was a bust, Crowder went down, and Gabes limited skill set. And like you said IF Kincaid can come out and cause defenses to adjust their scheme then that opens things up for dorsey.

Don't forget that Allen had a ellbow injury...

• Like (+1) 1

It's pretty telling nobody traded up for any of the receivers or anyone in the second half of the first round.  We need to realize getting great prospects at the end of the first round is very difficult to do. This kid looks like a fantastic prospect and watching that USC highlight looks like we have a big time talent with hands you dream about.  kid catches everything and doesn't seem to ever hear the footsteps leading to drops. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Unless there's a change in philosophy on offense, I don't get it.  

He's going to get less playing time and targets than Knox.  This helps us how, exactly?

Don't you think it's likely they will be going in a different direction with this guy?  Don't you think it was obvious the offense had issues last year and we never developed a coherent "game" all year long? That's all totally on the OC by the way.  For God's sake, we brought back 2 corpses and had them running routes last year out of total desperation.

They are wisely realizing that things need fixing and this guy represents part of the fix.  At least that's the plan.  We'll see what he can do on an NFL field.  Josh needs a bunch more weapons; this guy should be one of them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Apparently, he didn't run a 40 time at the combine b/c he had a back problem.

Does anyone know what sort of speed this guy has?

And is he 6'3" or 6'4"?  I see it as both all over the place.

I think he’s right at 6’4”, possibly a hair under. Very unofficially he’s somewhere in the 4.7-4.9sec 40 range.

42 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Context is king. Heck, you saw it.

Stoked about the Kincaid pick, btw. Now give me alllll the OLine. 

The chiefs used kelce as that short yardage guy who could get the yac. We missed those automatic chain move plays beasely gave us on the short yardage plays. This kid hopefully gives us that. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

I think he’s right at 6’4”, possibly a hair under. Very unofficially he’s somewhere in the 4.7-4.9sec 40 range.

40 times (game speed) is definitely one of my specialties as a scout 

I usually always have it down within .05

id say he’s a 4.55-4.6

hes very fluid and can run

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

even better!

I never thought the bills would have the shot to draft him but he is very dynamic

I don’t see him taking Knox’s position… he’s gonna be Joshs best friend as an outlet tho

he can flex and run the Seam… He could play the Y out wide and bully corners to the middle 

he can play in line with Knox and run the full route tree

This is a championship in my opinion

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Apparently, he didn't run a 40 time at the combine b/c he had a back problem.

Does anyone know what sort of speed this guy has?

And is he 6'3" or 6'4"?  I see it as both all over the place.

On tape he looks fast, Simms seems to think he is in the 4.5’s.

32 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

The Athletic guide has him at 6035 (official combine height) which is about 6'3 and a half.  Although he measured at 6037 at his Pro Day.  Tall enough with his 78 and 3/8 wingspan. 

I think we got a keeper, folks. Probably also means we’re not going to pursue DHop..

Big Baller Beane discusses trading up for Dalton Kincaid.

” We’ll run an 11 & a half Offense” 🤣

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I’m definitely h*** af **** rn!!!

We got a legitimate top 15 player in the draft with some of the highest upside!!

The basketball player turned TE has been the rage since Antonio Gates…. Kincaid is a ******* machine !!

He can be split at the Y with diggs at the X ! And he will get leverage on any corner 

Flexed he can do anything he wants to  safety’s or LBrs In man

This is gonna keep Josh Allen a happy Man

But do rookies get to play or have to sit and learn.   Hopefully the OC a can be more creative in creating game plans

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

Well, I understand it.  I’m not editorializing, but I guess I’ll speculate.  It makes sense in a deep TE class to add a second, NOT to supplant Knox as let’s not forget Knox brother suddenly died in the beginning of last year and two years ago had 9 TD catches.  My guess is the philosophy is to use more 12% than 7% in the past as we’ve not had a second TE.

The fingers crossed hope is that Beane all along is tieing up a deal for Hopkins and will also draft one with development needs, but has blazing speed.

It satisfies today and tomorrow.  We’ve already picked up three G’s in FA.  After what O just mentioned you can expect MLB and DT.  What ever is left which is not much they’ll probably go BPA.  Beane has picked up an occasional gem in later rounds like Benford and Dane.

I liked this draft when it happened. Now I've slept (albeit not for long) on it, I love it now. Think he is exactly what the Bills need. I appreciate the support for Mayer but he's another Knox, and they already have one of those who is paid handsomely. The Bills needed something different and they've got it. Best possible pick available and, at this stage, I don't mind losing 130 to make it happen.

In relation to Dorsey getting him involved, that doesn't bother me. I have more confidence in his play calling than most. All-22 etc. showed many occasions where players were available but not used on failed attempts. He has the ability to set up plays where Kincaid is available. My issue with Dorsey is whether he can manage Josh. Because he was either not telling him to take what's available, was not being listened to, or Josh failed to move away from the default big play more often than not when pressured. Hopefully Kincaid can help by building a relationship with Josh over pre season.

• Like (+1) 1

Kincaid could be a monster for us.

You love to see how NFL.com has the Bills and Josh Allen as losers Rd1? I don't understand how people write this crap and get paid?

https://www.nfl.com/news/the-first-read-winners-and-losers-from-round-1-of-the-2023-nfl-draft

LOSERS:

3) Josh Allen, QB, Buffalo Bills: The Bills desperately need another wide receiver to take some pressure off Stefon Diggs and give Allen more options in the passing game. So what did they do after trading up for the 25th overall selection? They took Utah tight end Dalton Kincaid. This pick would've made more sense if the Bills didn't already have a young, skilled tight end in Dawson Knox. It might even be an intriguing thought to see the Bills use more two-tight end sets after years of spreading defenses out with a more wide-open system. One could see Kincaid and Knox thriving in something like that, which would be stealing a page from the mismatch playbook Andy Reid has been utilizing in Kansas City.

But let's also be real here: The Bills need more weapons on the outside for Allen. He wants to throw the ball down the field, and he didn't see Gabe Davis blossom in the way many had hoped last season. Maybe the Bills didn't like their options at receiver after four went in consecutive picks between 20 and 23. There's also the possibility that they'll look for somebody at that position in later rounds. We'll have to see what happens. As for right now, there still remains an obvious void in their offense.

• Eyeroll 1

23 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well, I understand it.  I’m not editorializing, but I guess I’ll speculate.  It makes sense in a deep TE class to add a second, NOT to supplant Knox as let’s not forget Knox brother suddenly died in the beginning of last year and two years ago had 9 TD catches.  My guess is the philosophy is to use more 12% than 7% in the past as we’ve not had a second TE.

The fingers crossed hope is that Beane all along is tieing up a deal for Hopkins and will also draft one with development needs, but has blazing speed.

It satisfies today and tomorrow.  We’ve already picked up three G’s in FA.  After what O just mentioned you can expect MLB and DT.  What ever is left which is not much they’ll probably go BPA.  Beane has picked up an occasional gem in later rounds like Benford and Dane.

I think Beane is much better in the later rounds. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I’m definitely h*** af **** rn!!!

We got a legitimate top 15 player in the draft with some of the highest upside!!

The basketball player turned TE has been the rage since Antonio Gates…. Kincaid is a ******* machine !!

He can be split at the Y with diggs at the X ! And he will get leverage on any corner 

Flexed he can do anything he wants to  safety’s or LBrs In man

This is gonna keep Josh Allen a happy Man

Kelsey like,  Love it!

3 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I liked this draft when it happened. Now I've slept (albeit not for long) on it, I love it now. Think he is exactly what the Bills need. I appreciate the support for Mayer but he's another Knox, and they already have one of those who is paid handsomely. The Bills needed something different and they've got it. Best possible pick available and, at this stage, I don't mind losing 130 to make it happen.

In relation to Dorsey getting him involved, that doesn't bother me. I have more confidence in his play calling than most. All-22 etc. showed many occasions where players were available but not used on failed attempts. He has the ability to set up plays where Kincaid is available. My issue with Dorsey is whether he can manage Josh. Because he was either not telling him to take what's available, was not being listened to, or Josh failed to move away from the default big play more often than not when pressured. Hopefully Kincaid can help by building a relationship with Josh over pre season.

I like the post but I'm concerned about Dorsey. Last year he was learning on the job.

I'd argue that he hurt the team more than helped. More specifically, offensively the team seemed to lack an identity; sometimes from half to half and from game to game. He must be better.

An OC has to be able to reign in his QB. Their cannot be a communication breakdown between the two. They must be on the same page and often it seemed like they weren't. 

With regards to the addition of Kincaid. Really like that the Bills added a nice weapon to the offense. Can't complain about that. Time will tell if Dorsey and the Bills can utilize their weapons effectively. 

• Agree 1

he looks to have been the last 1st round graded offensive skill left.  didn't have much choice.  and Dallas would have taken him if Beane didn't jump in front of them. 

Just not a great draft class this year in general. 

Moving on.   So when is training camp again?  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Chaos said:

I projected this last Saturday. 

image.thumb.png.affb572844c72e9a44c0c4c0d5ba4a69.png

Most everyone disagreed. 

Ahem…on the contrary, good Sir, I was a supporter and possibly even an enabler to your cause.

😉

Honestly, though, great call man.  Congrats.  

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I wouldn’t expect Beane to know a good player if it was in front of him anyways outside of Allen. I’m on record saying Mayer > Kincaid , let’s revisit later. Just like with the Hall and Woolen picks looking good. 

Holy moly. 

It’s to be the year 2050 and you’re going to be telling your grand kids about the time you posted on a message board about Breece Hall and Tariq Woolen. 

Give it a rest. 

• Like (+1) 1

Kincaid is player worth a 1st rd grade that fell enough in the draft for Beane to make this move

Best Player Available. A pass catching TE that loves contact

I expect some scheme adjustments of offense 

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 2

I feel like the people that don’t like the pick are struggling to look at the player and skill set. If you look at Kincaid as a big slot receiver and arguably the best “pass catcher” in the draft you’d like it. 

Sports have evolved. As an NBA fan maybe it is easier to evolve. We used to look at 1,2,3,4,5 and pigeonhole everyone into one of those 5 spots. Now it is about skill sets that blend. You have lead guards, wings and bigs. The last 2 MVP awards have been won by a 7’ ball handler. 

Football fans haven’t evolved as quickly as teams. They now have these hybrid LB/S, balanced skill sets in the backfield,  QBs that also use their feet, situational pass rushers, etc… Kincaid is a matchup problem. I made a plea before the draft to stop looking at positions and start looking at players. The Bills got one of the best players in this draft and it’s a guy that has a skill set that they desperately need. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

5 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I guess we wait and see. I mean after all, I let my picks speak for themselves. 

The irony in this statement is hysterical.

You don’t. You continue to remind people that you like Hall and Woolen. 

28 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Kincaid could be a monster for us.

You love to see how NFL.com has the Bills and Josh Allen as losers Rd1? I don't understand how people write this crap and get paid?

https://www.nfl.com/news/the-first-read-winners-and-losers-from-round-1-of-the-2023-nfl-draft

Thats a stupid post. They obviously dont watch many Bills games. Gabe hasnt developed as a down field threat? Thats all he is, is a down field threat. We needed a guy to work the middle and underneath that can get open and catch more consistently than Gabe. Im fine with Gabe as being our big threat WR as long as we brought in a more consistent reliable target.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, GymShorts84 said:

Good pick. I assume Kincaid was the last player with a first round grade and Dallas wanted him. Apparently the league wasn’t thrilled with the WR class considering how late they fell. 

They’re small

Every single one of them, except for Quinton Johnson, who was literally like one of the first wide receivers off the board

I love that the bills got a separator even if it’s a tight end because those are the type of past catchers did Josh Allen works the best with

I actually was having reservation about trading for Dhop just for this reason

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I like the post but I'm concerned about Dorsey. Last year he was learning on the job.

I'd argue that he hurt the team more than helped. More specifically, offensively the team seemed to lack an identity; sometimes from half to half and from game to game. He must be better.

An OC has to be able to reign in his QB. Their cannot be a communication breakdown between the two. They must be on the same page and often it seemed like they weren't. 

With regards to the addition of Kincaid. Really like that the Bills added a nice weapon to the offense. Can't complain about that. Time will tell if Dorsey and the Bills can utilize their weapons effectively. 

The third paragraph is what I was trying to get at - you put it more succinctly than me!

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Thats a stupid post. They obviously dont watch many Bills games. Gabe hasnt developed as a down field threat? Thats all he is, is a down field threat. We needed a guy to work the middle and underneath that can get open and catch more consistently than Gabe. Im fine with Gabe as being our big threat WR as long as we brought in a more consistent reliable target.

That was some really lazy writing by whoever wrote that

He doesn’t understand what Dalton Kincaid actually is

Colton is not your prototypical tight end. He is basically a big wr mike Gesicki for Miami or Kelsey for Kansas City

They don’t ask those guys to block Dalton is a slot receiver that can work every area of the middle of the field, leaving Knox to be the in-line tight end

Not talked about in his article at all is the fact that too tight and sets tend to open things up for the running game because you have better blockers on the field

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.