Please Do Not Tip The Selections

CNYfan

The draft night thread is usually fun with much lively football banter and friendly discussion.  The opinions may vary but are usually well informed.

The biggest bummer is the one or two posters who have to ruin the thread and drama by declaring the pick before it is announced.

Please refrain from doing so if I may be so presumptuous to so request.

Thank you.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 10
  • Thank you (+1) 9

7 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

The draft night thread is usually fun with much lively football banter and friendly discussion.  The opinions may vary but are usually well informed.

The biggest bummer is the one or two posters who have to ruin the thread and drama by declaring the pick before it is announced.

Thank you.  

Hear, hear.

3 minutes ago, LEBills said:

I already have last years tippers blocked, ready to add a new batch this year

I did that too.  But starting the new year I gave "amnesty" to everyone.  Many have been reinstated since.  Anyone tipping will immediately

be put on "permanent, double secret probation"!

1 minute ago, Breakout Squad said:

Anyone else remember how every Bills fan galvanized to hate the Bills taking Aaron Maybin?? What a horrible pick 

Yep, though there were the usual people telling everyone to just give him time & see how great he'll become. I know we all like to think that, but there are some picks you just know are doomed to fail 🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

Thank you.  

Preach on brother!  💯

• Like (+1) 1

I don't get it. How is anyone 'tipping' the picks? The draft is broadcast widely on national TV and there are dozens of options to follow along online and on the radio. And nobody outside the teams themselves knows the picks before they happen. We're all just sitting there waiting for picks to come - what difference does it make if I find out 5 seconds before my TV tells me? And who cares if you saw Roger Goodell do it or if it came in the Shoutbox? And if you don't have TV or internet service, then you gotta find out what the picks are somehow - might as well be here. And when is it OK to name a pick? Does one wait 5 minutes out of courtesy? I can't believe the things people get bent out of shape over!

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, skibum said:

I don't get it. How is anyone 'tipping' the picks? The draft is broadcast widely on national TV and there are dozens of options to follow along online and on the radio. And nobody outside the teams themselves knows the picks before they happen. We're all just sitting there waiting for picks to come - what difference does it make if I find out 5 seconds before my TV tells me? And who cares if you saw Roger Goodell do it or if it came in the Shoutbox? And if you don't have TV or internet service, then you gotta find out what the picks are somehow - might as well be here. And when is it OK to name a pick? Does one wait 5 minutes out of courtesy? I can't believe the things people get bent out of shape over!

The irony of this last sentence is priceless.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, skibum said:

Like you, I was scratching my head when I first saw this thread. I thought by "tipping the pick", it meant that somebody would make a prediction for an upcoming pick, post it up in the main draft thread, and by sheer luck, they guessed right, and then I guess people in here would be upset because someone got it right?

This thread / OP's initial post seems nonsensical, just as you so eloquently pointed out. 😉

12 minutes ago, skibum said:

What happens is the broadcast is on delay for commercials and such. So while the pick is in is showing up on your screen media members at the draft already know who was selected before the pick is revealed. 

They then post it on twitter and then jackasses here put it in the thread before it’s announced. It’s annoying. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

What's the point of having a thread to discuss the draft if people can't post picks in real time?  It's not our fault that you guys are stuck with network television.

It ruins the suspense of watching the draft when you know the pick before it’s announced. I made the mistake of going on Twitter and someone posted a pick two minutes before it was even announced. Then you come on here and people are doing the same. So the lesson for me is to just watch the draft and don’t look at any posts online.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Guys its pretty straightforward. We sit there watching boring analysts say the same boring token phrases about players and teams for 10 minutes each time waiting for a single ***** pick and some dude on a forum says "its Jahymr Gibbs", when Goodell isnt even on the stage yet. I am not sure how you all don't see how that is less entertaining than seeing it live.

Im sure it happens on gameday threads all the time which is partially why i dont look during the game but just imagine the feeling of watching Allen lining up under center, and then looking at your phone and seeing some dude saying "incomplete pass" before he snaps the ball. Its the same thing and it rightly annoys people. 

Not sure there is a solution though because when can someone say the name or talk about the pick. There is no way to know when everyone is on the same page. The delays on phone streams, cable tv, internet are all different. 

4 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

What happens is the broadcast is on delay for commercials and such. So while the pick is in is showing up on your screen media members at the draft already know who was selected before the pick is revealed. 

They then post it on twitter and then jackasses here put it in the thread before it’s announced. It’s annoying. 

Yeah this is the a hole side of it. Gotta be first before Goodell even actually announces it in real time.

Edited by What a Tuel

3 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Guys its pretty straightforward. We sit there watching boring analysts say the same boring token phrases about players and teams for 10 minutes each time waiting for a single ***** pick and some dude on a forum says "its Jahymr Gibbs", when Goodell isnt even on the stage yet. I am not sure how you all don't see how that is less entertaining than seeing it live.

Im sure it happens on gameday threads all the time which is partially why i dont look during the game but just imagine the feeling of watching Allen lining up under center, and then looking at your phone and seeing some dude saying "incomplete pass" before he snaps the ball. Its the same thing and it rightly annoys people. 

Not sure there is a solution though because when can someone say the name or talk about the pick. There is no way to know when everyone is on the same page. The delays on phone streams, cable tv, internet are all different. 

Yeah this is the a hole side of it. Gotta be first before Goodell even actually announces it in real time.

I guess in defense of the a-hole ness, some people are just following along on social media these days, so they don't know when the network is on commercial break or has a delay.

1 minute ago, What a Tuel said:

"Its the same thing and it rightly annoys people."

Seriously?! For folks like you, who need to be "surprised" by what you're watching on your TV, the EASY answer is to stay OFF of your phone/tablet/IPad....STAY OFF of the internet/social media and ONLY watch your TV. This is mind boggling, in that it's so, so easy for those who don't want to be "tipped!" What am I missing here?

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.