4 Detroit Lions suspended for gambling violations

Chandler#81

31 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Clueless post....

And when the NFL allows players to gamble/influence games, how you going to feel as a fan that the integrity is lost?

Great point 

Man that stink for Det, especially Williams.  They're a very talented team, that really hurts their WR core

Edit - at least only 6 gms. That's a b.s rule that you can't bet on college from facility. 

Edited by JerseyBills

43 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Honestly why does the NFL care about that so much when they don't care about women abusers? 

The league makes BILLIONS from Gambling.  Hypocrisy 

Betting on NFL games when you play in the NFL is a huge deal but betting on college games? Who cares?

9 minutes ago, Process said:

Absolutely absurd. 6 games just because he did it at the facility. Ridiculous.

It may seem ridiculous but it assuredly was negotiated with the NFLPA. 

So they know the rule.

What is ridiculous is why they can't place their wager off grounds. Its not like they don't have plenty of time. Dount these guys are working two jobs.

Follow the dam rules

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

It may seem ridiculous but it assuredly was negotiated with the NFLPA. 

So they know the rule.

What is ridiculous is why they can't place their wager off grounds. Its not like they don't have plenty of time. Dount these guys are working two jobs.

Follow the dam rules

It also can't help that at the same time another teammate got caught doing the same and much worse two teammates got caught betting on NFL games, any leniency they might have had with it probably got thrown out the window.

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Funny how it's the bad organizations whose players always get caught up in this stuff...

Lol....careful with the glass houses 

Bruce Smith arguably the best player in Bills history was suspended for cocaine use.

Bills signed PED cheat Trent Murphy

And last but not least drafting a rapist punter.  

Every organization has their warts

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Bruce Smith arguably the best player in Bills history was suspended for cocaine use.

Those guys are complete jerks!

Love,

OJ

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Honestly why does the NFL care about that so much when they don't care about women abusers? 

Pretty simple answer really...NFL is worth $110 Billion Dollars and its their job to protect that entity.  Gambling is a direct threat to the integrity of the game and the viability of the entire league, it is literally the one and only thing they can not be relaxed on.  So any player caught gambling is going to get severe and immediate punishment to discourage any other players from doing the same, even before its reached a level of players affecting games to influence their gambling bets.  

On the other hand, the NFL is not a court of law.  It is not their job to put players lives outside the NFL on trial and reach a verdict.  Most domestic allegations are just that, allegations without direct evidence.  Most often there isn't video evidence supporting and proving an actual violent crime.  But the NFL has come down harshly when such cases did have documented evidence like with Ray Rice.  

People seem to think the NFL is an extension of our judicial system and needs to be involved in every off field issue whether its proven or not proven.  And people make mistakes off the field, but those mistakes are not a direct threat to NFL and its viability.  Those mistakes don't carry a $100 Billion dollar threat with them.  Those mistakes players can atone for and make the personal change to better themselves and be better people moving forward.  But if players are caught gambling and rigging games, that vastly hurts the entire league and won't be something that one guy serving a suspension and doing some therapy can repair.  

Every business in this country is going to punish someone more harshly for conduct threatening the existence of the business over out of work personal matters. 

NFL is a sports league and business, not a court system.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

An NFL player took cocaine ?

Say it ain’t so bro

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

sorry but players have intel to things the public doesn't (see knowing other players and reaching out to check injury status or share things that helped them against an opponent etc) so they shouldn't be allowed to bet on NFL games. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, 17islongenough said:

I'm curious on why some are suspended for 6 games while the others are suspended for a year. 

The ones suspended for a year were gambling on NFL games, the ones suspended for 6 games were not gambling on NFL games and placed bets allowable by the NFL but made the mistake of placing them while inside an NFL facility.  Players can gamble on college football and other sports, they just can not place those bets while inside an NFL facility.  

• Like (+1) 1

the whole NFL embracing legalized gambling will be a mess IMO....  its a problem that will come up over and over again with the players

I don't wasnt to see gambling parlors inside stadiums either, there will be lots of fan carnage from gambling addicition IMO

chasing every single penny you can get via gambling will have have a toll on the league

10 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Pathetic response, really.

The Bruce Smith era was 30 or more years ago...essentially, not even the same organization.

I doubt there is any organization who doesn't have someone on their roster who was involved in PEDs at some point.

And of course, Araiza was never charged with a crime and, from what I understand, has essentially been exonerated. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Agree or disagree, the rule is pretty simple and players have been reminded constantly

Yeah I'm not excusing the players, whether the rule makes sense or not it's incredibly easy to follow. I was just curious what the reasoning it. I know coaches aren't allowed to gamble at all on any sport, so maybe they just don't want there to be any possibility of coaches using players to place bets?

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I agree allow the players to gamble if they don’t do there job or tank on field plays just cut said player it isn’t that hard for a coach when evaluating players on coaching film. Who are the owners kidding gambling is happening most likely a distant relative places the bet for the NFL players whatever the sport there is no difference there still gambling. Chicago Bulls Michael Jordan is rumored to have gambled on NBA games that is rumored to be why the year in baseball with the Chicago White Sox same owner of both teams. If the game is fixed that is on the fools gambling there money the gambling fan doesn’t have my sympathy.

One takes that chance with gambling. I believe gambling has gone on for a long time with players. With that said I want Pete Rose reinstated in MLB to help save the Cincinnati Reds as Reds manager opening day Pete Rose back as manager of the Cincinnati Reds at Las Vegas Athletics. As a sports fan I want Pete Rose back in the dugout where he belongs. With Pete Rose making the first baseball bet at the Las Vegas baseball stadium opening day in the Cincinnati Reds uniform baseball owners embracing the reality of sports today. Rumor is your going to have sports book right inside the new Las Vegas Athletics baseball stadium. Gambling is never going away because it has always been there from day one with the invention of sports. The owners and media are ridiculous there as corrupt as they come and don’t have the higher ground anymore that went away long ago if there really was there to begin with? People are over 21 years old they know what they are getting into no sympathy from this Buffalo fan gamble away if you choose.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

They don’t even have to throw games. The mere possibility is enough to shake people’s confidence in what they are seeing. “Look at that! He dropped that on purpose!” That can’t be allowed, IMO. You can’t have that thought lurking just beneath the surface in our minds. 

BTW - what’s Tim Donaghy up to these days? 

The refs already do a great job of that..

25 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Easy with the drafting a rapist punter...he was cleared for one, and two the Bills didn't draft him knowing he had those allegations, so they just drafted a punter...they did not draft a punter accused of rape.  That didn't come out until after the draft.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah I'm not excusing the players, whether the rule makes sense or not it's incredibly easy to follow. I was just curious what the reasoning it. I know coaches aren't allowed to gamble at all on any sport, so maybe they just don't want there to be any possibility of coaches using players to place bets?

Sorry didn't mean to infer you were excusing the players.  

Agree, it's likely about implicating other parties (who are banned from gambling on any major sport)

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Because if the NFL doesnt care about trying ton control gambling by players the NFL will soon look like pro wrestling from the 70s or the Harlem Globetrotters versus the Washington Generals.

Just now, That's No Moon said:

There are HUGE signs in the locker room about this. 

There are also huge signs in the stadiums advertising betting, also areas in some stadiums where you can legally bet.  Just seems like a ridiculous rule for the nfl. I mean what if you see a great chance to live bet the game but you're getting in the cold tub for treatment?  Certainly not walking outside in your towel to the street so you can make bet.

Call the Lions and offer a pick next year for Jameson Williams   "He just needs a fresh start" 

38 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

sorry but players have intel to things the public doesn't (see knowing other players and reaching out to check injury status or share things that helped them against an opponent etc) so they shouldn't be allowed to bet on NFL games. 

I agree....but the punishments for this are more severe than real crimes committed by players 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

You said in your answer why they care “because they make billions from gambling”

if players are involved it takes away from the “integrity of the gambling” aspect and people may cease to bet on games and player parlays, thus costing the NFL money.

Like it or not, gambling is becoming engrained in our society lately.  If this is going to be needed as a "right" by players, then the

NFLPA needs to address it in the next contract talks.

In the meantime, the rules are the rules, and the players know them.  When they sign their contracts to play in the NFL they agree to the rules.

For those calling the players idiots or saying they don't understand how they could do this, they must not know many problem gamblers.  I have more than a few gambling addicts in my friend and family circle, and they have ZERO impulse control on how many, how much and/or what type of bets they lay down.  Self destruction (and collateral damage) is their middle name.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.