4 Detroit Lions suspended for gambling violations

Chandler#81

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Honestly why does the NFL care about that so much when they don't care about women abusers? 

Seriously? You want to turn the NFL into something where players are throwing games?

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Wow! Was it a Falcons WR who missed a year for a nominal wager? You’d think that would be all you need to know. If the Lions still have any fans, I feel badly for them. Just when things started to look a little brighter for them, the fan gets messy. I’ll wait for details, but I doubt the NFL starts lightening up on players gambling any time soon. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Honestly why does the NFL care about that so much when they don't care about women abusers? 

The league makes BILLIONS from Gambling.  Hypocrisy 

yes, and the appearance that players could profit off influencing games puts the billions at risk, while DV does not seem to do the same 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Because that billions you mention is put in real jeopardy when the gambling companies and the shield can't guarantee that all games are played on the up-and-up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Clueless post....

And when the NFL allows players to gamble/influence games, how you going to feel as a fan that the integrity is lost?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

"The NFL is suspending five players, including four from the Detroit Lions, for violating the league's gambling policy, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Friday.

Lions wide receivers Jameson Williams and Stanley Berryhill each face six-game bans, per Rapoport, while wideout Quintez Cephus and defensive back C.J. Moore are suspended indefinitely.

Washington Commanders pass rusher Shaka Toney also is suspended indefinitely, per Rapoport.

Cephus and Moore have been released by the Lions, the team announced.

Around The NFL will have more on this breaking news shortly."

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

Clueless post....

And when the NFL allows players to gamble/influence games, how you going to feel as a fan that the integrity is lost?

I'm not saying it should be tolerated....I'm saying they dish out harsher punishments for gambling than they do for crimes 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

They're worried about the NFL becoming the WWE.  Nothing real and everything is fixed.  They pretend to care about criminal activity but they don't just events that give them a black eye.

• Like (+1) 1

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-suspends-five-players-including-lions-2022-first-round-pick-jameson-williams-for-gambling-violations-154304811.html

Three players received indefinite suspensions from the NFL and can apply for reinstatement after the 2023 NFL season.

The 5th player is Commander DE Shaka Toney

Edited by Big Turk

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'm not saying it should be tolerated....I'm saying they dish out harsher punishments for gambling than they do for crimes 

It's the integrity of the sport/NFL shield that they are protecting.  The rules are cut and dry.

Simple case that DV doesn't put the NFL, or the billions of gambling revenue that you referenced, at risk.  

Not difficult to understand, right or wrong

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

Seriously? You want to turn the NFL into something where players are throwing games?

They don’t even have to throw games. The mere possibility is enough to shake people’s confidence in what they are seeing. “Look at that! He dropped that on purpose!” That can’t be allowed, IMO. You can’t have that thought lurking just beneath the surface in our minds. 

BTW - what’s Tim Donaghy up to these days? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm sure there's a legal reason, but I'd be interested to know why players can only bet on non-NFL games outside of their team facility.

Pretty sure gambling at work is a no no in any profession.  

• Haha (+1) 1

I’ve wondered how long this would take. 
Back in My Day, if you gamble, you’re gone. Alex Karras and Golden Boy Paul Hornung shook up the NFL landscape being suspended for a year for gambling. 
Now, with gaming organizations involved deeply in NFL marketing, this will likely jut be the tip of the iceberg..

3D0D9025-890C-4091-8772-08350DFFFC3F.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

And imagine if it was discovered the games are fixed? 

They should be throwing the book at women abusers too, but this punishment is also justified 

• Like (+1) 1

Given we went from two years ago having one guy get in trouble for this to now three, I wonder if the NFL is going to want to consider making the punishment worse maybe not this time but next, can't think they're very happy that this happened again with more players so soon.

3 minutes ago, 17islongenough said:

I'm curious on why some are suspended for 6 games while the others are suspended for a year. 

It's in that first tweet at the top, 6 games was for gambling at facilities but not on NFL games, the year was for on NFL games.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If I login to Fanduel on my phone in my company break room and place a bet, nobody cares.

I'm guessing the optics and/or potentially implicating the NFL team/staff/others, is the reason they don't want any gambling on NFL team property.

Agree or disagree, the rule is pretty simple and players have been reminded constantly

8 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

They weren't even betting on nfl games? The only issue was it was done in the facility?  This seems a little ridiculous

Even the players who weren't betting on NFL games in this instance know the rules VERY WELL.   Zero tolerance is zero tolerance.   People who can't abide to these simple rules.......knowing the very severe occupational punishment.......are high risk individuals to the league.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

You don’t have to agree that it should be against the rules. 
You don’t have to agree with the magnitude of the punishment. 
You only need to know what the consequences are. 

Let’s say my company had a ridiculous rule that if you wear purple socks, you get terminated. I’d argue there are bigger things to worry about) but if the place paying me said that, I would either 1) never wear purple, or 2) quit.

So unless they want to go be the next He Hate Me, STOP GAMBLING ON FOOTBALL YOU MORONS. 

Edited by stevestojan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

It's in that first tweet at the top, 6 games was for gambling at facilities but not on NFL games, the year was for on NFL games.

They can't bet on ANYTHING?  

I didn't know that

31 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Because gambling on football games affects their own business; I don't know of there are any CRIMINAL charges pending. 

"Abuse" cases ARE criminal cases and any NFL suspension would be in ADDITION to criminal penalties. 

That's the short explanation. 

Edited by Herb Nightly

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.