Jordan Phillips back with Bills 1 year deal

I'm surprised by the money. Must be a big market for DT's this year and/or there was some competition. He was injured a lot last season - but when he was healthy he was a force as a rotational D-Lineman. Hopefully he can stay healthy and make the price worth it.

As it stands now, Ed Oliver, Daquan Jones, Jordan Phillips, and Tim Settle will all be Free Agents next year - which is our entire DT room. So i'd expect to see an extension or two soon.

11 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'm surprised by the money. Must be a big market for DT's this year and/or there was some competition. He was injured a lot last season - but when he was healthy he was a force as a rotational D-Lineman. Hopefully he can stay healthy and make the price worth it.

As it stands now, Ed Oliver, Daquan Jones, Jordan Phillips, and Tim Settle will all be Free Agents next year - which is our entire DT room. So i'd expect to see an extension or two soon.

The details haven’t came out.  It could be an up to 3 million deal. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Bills are the Oprah Winfrey of 1 year contracts..

KC is even worse.  Bills have 36 players under contract next season and the Chiefs have 26.

That's after you subtract the void year contracts.

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, stevewin said:

Yep - coach him up to not try to run full speed for long distance 😛

Put an ankle bracelet on him with in-built 1000 volt battery. Set the battery to produce an electric shock when he moves more than ten yards per play. Re-set the timer before every snap. Guaranteed to start come playoffs.

1 hour ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Doesn't impact comp pick formula🥳

All that matters!

39 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The DT Market seems to be a lucrative one this season. I'd argue with a 1yr deal, he might have been able to squeeze 5/yr out of someone. Guys like Rankins (1yr $9,750,000) and Rakeem Nunez-Roches (3yr, $12,000,000) got paid well.

Jets are about to pay Quinnen Williams big big money.

Edited by Malazan
  • Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

KC is even worse.  Bills have 36 players under contract next season and the Chiefs have 26.

That's after you subtract the void year 

I’m sure the Chiefs wouldn’t trade their “problem” for whatever the Bills situation is in 2024. They seem to be managing their contracts/roster/cap just fine the past 5 years…….

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I’m sure the Chiefs wouldn’t trade their “problem” for whatever the Bills situation is in 2024. They seem to be managing their contracts/roster/cap just fine the past 5 years…….

Yes.  Get your core players and sign the rest to short contracts.  I believe the Bills are moving toward that.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Process said:

Hopefully he doesn't put himself on IR diving at air again.

Bring back shaq on the cheap too. Then the only hole on defense is MLB and can otherwise go all offense in the draft. 

HAha to JP and yes please don't hurt yourself doing not football activities.  And, yes to Shaq please.  I like these two a lot.  Especially in a combo of hedging bets.  One of them will contribute and well on various weeks.

6 minutes ago, Manther said:

Kingsley did look better than Boogie, what is Kingsley's status?

Kingsley Jonathan was signed to the roster after the year under a Futures contract.

Glad to see him talked about. I have thought that he could make this team as the last Defensive End on the 53 if they decide to not pay Shaq and I don't think he'd bring any less than Epenesa or Basham has.

Though I'm still hoping Shaq is brought back under an inexpensive deal.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

He's under contract for 2023 and 2024.

I have high hopes for Kingsley

I’m not expecting a star, but someone that can perform well in rotation give him minutes

14 minutes ago, NoName said:

I felt like we should have signed him for cheaper 3 mil seams a bit much for a guy with less than 3 sacks.  1.5 seems more reasonable. 

Your quibbling over like $1 million whenever it doesn’t affect our draft Comp pic?

6 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

I'll bite. 

Who are you going to get for 3 million (which is probably incentive heavy) that is better for the scheme? 

It’s reported at $3M, up to $4.6M.  For that money, you can sign 2-3 Taylor Rapp, Damien Harris, Trent Sherfield type players.  Jordan Phillips was good back in 2019.  We are in 2023 now and he’s missed 19 games the past 3 seasons, while playing half of last year with one arm after trying to be Superman flying to get an elusive Mac Jones.  I love that he loves Buffalo, but that’s about it.  That when/if healthy people are referencing is a big when/if.  They couldn’t add that on to what they were offering OBJ to seal the deal?  How’s that affect the ability to pull off a trade for DHop now?  They were already up against the cap.  This move does not make a lot of sense from my vantage point.  Maybe Oliver is on the block and about to get moved.

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, HenryJones said:

It’s reported at $3M, up to $4.6M.  For that money, you can sign 2-3 Taylor Rapp, Damien Harris, Trent Sherfield type players.  

Um, yeah. But they don’t fill the position need at DT

DT market is really hot this off season

23 minutes ago, HenryJones said:

It’s reported at $3M, up to $4.6M.  For that money, you can sign 2-3 Taylor Rapp, Damien Harris, Trent Sherfield type players.  Jordan Phillips was good back in 2019.  We are in 2023 now and he’s missed 19 games the past 3 seasons, while playing half of last year with one arm after trying to be Superman flying to get an elusive Mac Jones.  I love that he loves Buffalo, but that’s about it.  That when/if healthy people are referencing is a big when/if.  They couldn’t add that on to what they were offering OBJ to seal the deal?  How’s that affect the ability to pull off a trade for DHop now?  They were already up against the cap.  This move does not make a lot of sense from my vantage point.  Maybe Oliver is on the block and about to get moved.

All the Bills have to do to create the cap space sign OBJ or trade for Hopkins is simply convert Dawkins and White's contract into a signing bonus.  This creates 12.4 million in cap space.

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Um, yeah. But they don’t fill the position need at DT

DT market is really hot this off season

They have 6 draft picks…  Whose to say one of the 2-3 players wouldn’t had been a different DT, that can an actually stay healthy?  It’ll be interesting to hear Calais Campbell’s number.  If the money is the same, I’d rather have him.

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

All the Bills have to do to create the cap space sign OBJ or trade for Hopkins is simply convert Dawkins and White's contract into a signing bonus.  This creates 12.4 million in cap space.

True, but then you push money/commitment down the road on those two when both of them just had subpar years in comparison to when they signed those lucrative deals.  I feel like Beane hasn’t pulled that lever (yet, at least) for that specific reason.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, HenryJones said:

True, but then you push money/commitment down the road on those two when both of them just had subpar years in comparison to when they signed those lucrative deals.  I feel like Beane hasn’t pulled that lever (yet, at least) for that specific reason.

True but it may only take one restructure to get it done.  Extending players like Daquan Jones and/or Taron Johnson are also options.

26 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

True but it may only take one restructure to get it done.  Extending players like Daquan Jones and/or Taron Johnson are also options.

I would rather they extend Daquan and Taron, before restructuring Dion or Tre.  I know they have options to free money up, but think they are overpaying for what Jordan Phillips is and brings to them.  Based on the last 3 years, he’ll get them about half a season and a sack per million.  I hope I’m wrong and he has 9.5 sacks this year, but I’m skeptical of that happening.  I wonder if anyone else was offering him $3m+.  It sounds like they may have offered Shaq near the vet min, from some twitter noise I had seen.  I’d be disappointed, if I were him.  He was much more valuable to us last season than 97.

2 hours ago, HenryJones said:

I would rather they extend Daquan and Taron, before restructuring Dion or Tre.  I know they have options to free money up, but think they are overpaying for what Jordan Phillips is and brings to them.  Based on the last 3 years, he’ll get them about half a season and a sack per million.  I hope I’m wrong and he has 9.5 sacks this year, but I’m skeptical of that happening.  I wonder if anyone else was offering him $3m+.  It sounds like they may have offered Shaq near the vet min, from some twitter noise I had seen.  I’d be disappointed, if I were him.  He was much more valuable to us last season than 97.

That 9.5 sacks was an anomaly as the Cardinals found out after giving him that 10 million a year contract.  His upside if he stays healthy is worth the three million guaranteed risk imo as he's a big body who can get after the passer as a rotational piece in this defense.  He wasn't my first choice as I would've preferred Campbell or Poona Ford but they may have been out of Beane's price range.  I still think we add to the DT room in the draft but it's not as glaring as a need.

6 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Kingsley Jonathan was signed to the roster after the year under a Futures contract.

Glad to see him talked about. I have thought that he could make this team as the last Defensive End on the 53 if they decide to not pay Shaq and I don't think he'd bring any less than Epenesa or Basham has.

Though I'm still hoping Shaq is brought back under an inexpensive deal.

Jonathan definitely has some burst and bend off the edge. Intriguing player. I think there is a lot of rough edges. Against the Bears he was either making a play or not even lining up in the right spot and there wasn't much in between! But I'm glad the Bills are going to try and develop him. He was the #1 overall pick in the CFL draft, he isn't without talent. Just a lot of teaching to do to turn him into a bona fide NFL player.

4 hours ago, HenryJones said:

Agree with almost all of this, except I don't think they should rush to extend Daquan. He was excellent for us last year but he will be 32 by the time he hits FA after next season, and he didn't have a huge market when he was 30 so I think they are right to take their time and let it play out with him. If they want him back after 2023 I am sure they will be able to make it happen. But they should be conscious "the wall" can't be super far away for him. 

6 hours ago, HenryJones said:

what DT are you getting for $3m? 

This move won’t mean squat in relation to what happens to Hopkins… that ship may have already sailed…

Edited by Aussie Joe

10 minutes ago, CSBill said:

I'm glad he is resigned. When healthy, he brings a lot of juice on the D-line. .... Does this open the door for an Oliver trade???

We currently have the exact same 4 man rotation at DT as last year, so likely no impact on Oliver.

Bills need a pass rusher now. Hopefully they can find a cheap veteran. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We currently have the exact same 4 man rotation at DT as last year, so likely no impact on Oliver.

A cheap vet will likely beat Oliver out of a job

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Exactly, enough with yhe 1-3rs round failures

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.