Jordan Phillips back with Bills 1 year deal

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea the void years are a result of covid as much as anything. That screwed the cap for a couple of years and teams are still digging their way out of it a bit. I think they will reduce again in time but the last 2/3 offseasons everyone has been using them. Even traditional cash to cap teams.

Totally agree.  I believe we are seeing some of that in this year's FAs.  Not near as many huge signings.  It's adjusting slowly but surely.

One thing a lot of fans don't see is the math behind all of this.  Restructuring and void years can be a great tool (I believe Beane is doing a

very good job with that) BUT when you get to losing too much cap through void years it takes away "dollar for dollar" in the current season.

Beane, for all his moves only lost $3.25M in void dead cap this season.  That is pretty good for a team with a vet-signed QB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Okay I like him less at $4.6m AAV.

Everything I saw all said the 1 year $3m that's the only thing I saw that I thought might line up with whatever that tweet I was replying to might be about. With Beane though it's always best to just wait and see how the contract actually is because it's usually something different anyways.

A team can't have all-pro players (and all-pro salaries) at every position and every backup position.  Teams need reliable, affordable veteran depth players.  Phillips, when healthy, is at least that, if not an effective starter who generates good push inside.  Good signing.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

They have offered Lawson a vet minimum deal. He's waiting to see if he gets offered something better.

Strange that other teams don't see the value in him. He is a good backup.

Just now, Nitro said:

Good to have him back.  Big run stopper  in the middle. He helps Oliver by taking two blockers on.  

Hmm. I think he is pretty suspect in run defense. He is more of a pass rusher and havoc creator.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

Beane won't ' go all offense in draft.  Most of the DTs are on expiring contracts. Secondary depth was challenged last year  and you can't have too many corners in the AFC. I would also like an OLB/Edge to back up Von.

I think maybe you just outed yourself, Sean.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Glad to have him back.  He’s definitely the best option we have for the money we seem willing to pay. 

Interesting DT room.  Four DT’s.  None under contract for ‘24.  

Room is deep enough that drafting a DT doesn’t seem necessary - but if they do, given our future DT look, are we carrying 5 active DT’s on the 53 all year?  

Good question.  We carried 9 DLmen last season before Von Miller was hurt (I'm pretty sure), 5 DE and 4 DT.    So maybe this season we would carry 4 DE and 5 DT if we draft one?

I expect to see Beane negotiate an extension of DaQuan Jones after the draft, and he's talked about being unable to re-sign Edmunds due to needing money to re-signing Ed Oliver and Gabe Davis.  Don't know what we'll see there.

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Hmm. I think he is pretty suspect in run defense. He is more of a pass rusher and havoc creator.

He can be sound in run defense.  He's perfectly capable of it.

It's a choice with him, like Allen passing up the short chain-mover for the lower percentage deep bomb.  In his first go-around with Buffalo, he tended to sacrifice run gap integrity in favor of getting a jump in pass D.  Last year he was mostly better, though I saw Edmunds chewing his ass a few times.  That would be a good question - with Edmunds gone, who will keep him on task?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

20 minutes ago, HenryJones said:

This signing sucks!  (Money can be better spent, elsewhere)

I'll bite. 

Who are you going to get for 3 million (which is probably incentive heavy) that is better for the scheme? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.