Jordan Phillips back with Bills 1 year deal

4 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I'll bite. 

Who are you going to get for 3 million (which is probably incentive heavy) that is better for the scheme? 

For me I think Jordan Phillips is descent and is definitely worth the price when healthy.

But the problem is he hasn’t been healthy the last 3 years.

It’s definitely a gamble, cause I don’t know about you but I don’t want to see Eli Ankou play a lot of meaningful snaps this year if JP can’t stay healthy.

(I think they’ll invest a day 2 pick on DT mind you)

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Like (+1) 2

In terms of just the 2023 season, our defense now seems relatively set at all positions except middle linebacker, particularly if they re-sign Shaq Lawson.

Going forward, though, there will be lots of needs. From no DTs under contract past this year, to AJ Epenesa's contract expiring and Basham not providing much, to Von Miller being 35 years old, to Hyde and Poyer getting quite long in the tooth. There are about to be A LOT of defensive needs starting in 2024.

The question is: Do Beane and Co primarily use this draft to try to get a headstart on filling the pipelines on defense, or do they ride with what they have for one more year so they can bring in some more offensive protection and weaponry, and then worry about the defense next year. Personally, I prefer the latter approach.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

In terms of just the 2023 season, our defense now seems relatively set at all positions except middle linebacker, particularly if they re-sign Shaq Lawson.

Going forward, though, there will be lots of needs. From no DTs under contract past this year, to AJ Epenesa's contract expiring and Basham not providing much, to Von Miller being 35 years old, to Hyde and Poyer getting quite long in the tooth. There are about to be A LOT of defensive needs starting in 2024.

The question is: Do Beane and Co primarily use this draft to try to get a headstart on filling the pipelines on defense, or do they ride with what they have for one more year so they can bring in some more offensive protection and weaponry, and then worry about the defense next year. Personally, I prefer the latter approach.

For the first 3 picks I think it's safe to say they won't be ALL offense or defense.  

So, for me it's this, is it 2 O and 1 D or the opposite.  I want the 2 O.

4th round pick will be the wildcard to make it O orientated or spllt.

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

For the first 3 picks I think it's safe to say they won't be ALL offense or defense.  

So, for me it's this, is it 2 O and 1 D or the opposite.  I want the 2 O.

4th round pick will be the wildcard to make it O orientated or spllt.

In whatever order makes sense, I'd love a receiver, a middle linebacker, and an offensive lineman. That makes good sense to me. I sense they may pick a tight end high, too.

Often, the draft is not that cut and dry. It would seem to be a logical path, though.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

In whatever order makes sense, I'd love a receiver, a middle linebacker, and an offensive lineman. That makes good sense to me. I sense they may pick a tight end high, too.

Often, the draft is not that cut and dry. It would seem to be a logical path, though.

If Beane and McDermott are telling the truth, and they think Dodson vs. Spector vs. Bernard is the MLB, then this team is essentially set and the Bills have the flexibility to draft either side. 

Von's knee is an unknown, but if he can go at the start of the season, they already have 4 DEs on the roster. 

What position do the Bills target on the Offensive Line?

OT - Dawkins, Brown, Quesenberry, Doyle

OG - Bates, McGovern, Boettger, Anderson

C - Morse

WR looks like one spot left

Diggs, Davis, Shakir, Harty, Sherfield

Running Back room looks packed

It looks to me like defense early, maybe a Tight End to compete. Joe Marino is talking about waiting on WR because the WRs in Round 2 are just as good as the ones in Round 1, but I think he's off on that. At #59 you're going to be down to Parker Washington, Tank Dell, maybe Rashee Rice, Marvin Mims or Cedrick Tillman. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Logic said:

I will add in that if Tre doesn't bounce back this year close to his old self, he very likely will be gone after this year because they can save a bunch by cutting him after this season.  And he is too expensive if he isn't the player, or at least close to the player, he once was.  

So this leaves only 3-4 obvious spots they need to add through FA/draft. 

They absolutely need a MLB. 

They also need TE depth. 

Competition at RT (or even another swing tackle) would be a nice add. 

And although not completely necessary, I think we’d all agree we’d like to see a WR added. Personally I’d like it to be someone capable of making an impact, either an early pick or a vet starter. We technically have enough depth already. 

4 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

If Beane and McDermott are telling the truth, and they think Dodson vs. Spector vs. Bernard is the MLB, then this team is essentially set and the Bills have the flexibility to draft either side. 

Von's knee is an unknown, but if he can go at the start of the season, they already have 4 DEs on the roster. 

C - Morse

It looks to me like defense early, maybe a Tight End to compete. Joe Marino is talking about waiting on WR because the WRs in Round 2 are just as good as the ones in Round 1, but I think he's off on that. At #59 you're going to be down to Parker Washington, Tank Dell, maybe Rashee Rice, Marvin Mims or Cedrick Tillman. 

You are missing David Edwards at G.

When it comes to the IOL it seems to me the big question (which I don't think anyone knows for sure) is future at C.

If they got that figured out then I see the OT as the need.

25 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think they'll go BPA outside of a few positions (for instance, obviously QB, PK, maybe CB, etc.).  It's much more important to fill your roster with difference makers as opposed to "need fillers", especially given our cap situation and our aging roster.  All that is to say I have absolutely no clue what positions they'll draft in the first three rounds.  I wouldn't be entirely shocked if we didn't nab any of MLB, OL or WR during days one and two. 

Edit:  Also, I am glad to hear Jordan Phillips has been re-signed.  👍

Edited by TheBrownBear

37 minutes ago, Logic said:

I expect Allen, Knox, Diggs, Dawkins, Morse, Miller, Rousseau, Milano, White, Poyer, Hyde, and Bass to all play for Buffalo well into their 40s, so really no worries anytime soon. 

25 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

C - Morse

Johnston, JSN, and Addison are a tier above the rest. Doubt any of them fall to 27. Downs for me is next. Some folks like Flowers and Hyatt. I think they are second round receivers who might go in the first. Depending on who else is available, I think Downs is a viable choice. 

Here's a positive assessment that argues for Downs as a first round quality pick.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/josh-downs-wr-north-carolina-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

Edited by Dr. Who

A healthy Jordan Phillips would have made a significant difference for us in the playoffs.

When he & Miller were BOTH healthy, they were a real force.  Our physicality and ability to both pressure the QB and make impact plays on defense were night & day for the 1st couple of months to the season vs. the last month or so.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Nitro said:

Good to have him back.  Big run stopper  in the middle. He helps Oliver by taking two blockers on.  

This is not true at all.  Philips may have the body type of a run stuffer but that’s never been his game, he’s a penetrator/passrusher.  Oliver is a far better run stopper despite being smaller.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.