Jordan Phillips back with Bills 1 year deal

30 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Tim Settle seems to be in the most hot-water entering the season. 

Beane just said in his press conference yesterday that the staff likes what they have in Oliver. 

Based on the presser yesterday I still think once they get past the draft they will have conversations about extending Ed. Now whether it happens will come down to can they find a number both sides like, but Brandon often talks about liking to have some room to maneuver in season and the easiest way to create that is an Ed Oliver extension, plus I don't see them going into 2024 with 0 DTs under contract. If I had to lean one way on Ed a week ago I was 60/40 against him being here in 2024. The last 24 hours I might have swung the other way. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Process said:

Hopefully he doesn't put himself on IR diving at air again.

Bring back shaq on the cheap too. Then the only hole on defense is MLB and can otherwise go all offense in the draft. 

Beane won't ' go all offense in draft.  Most of the DTs are on expiring contracts. Secondary depth was challenged last year  and you can't have too many corners in the AFC. I would also like an OLB/Edge to back up Von.

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I like him more at $3m AAV than $5m AAV. Frustratingly he already costs us $1.25m against this year's cap from last year's contract with its void year. Don't be surprised if this deal has a void year and basically kicks that money over into 2024. 

There are 4 players worth over $7M in void year money next spring.

It's part of doing business in today's NFL.  If some board members here had their way, it would be 4 times that amount.

As to the Phillips cost this year, he had a good amount of time to find a team to pay him money.  $3M sounds about right for him

re-signing with the Bills.

Keep Jordan fresh and they need to work Oliver like a dog early in the season.  It's his contract year and he has had the advantage of the

heavy rotation his first 4 years.

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

There are 4 players worth over $7M in void year money next spring.

It's part of doing business in today's NFL.  If some board members here had their way, it would be 4 times that amount.

As to the Phillips cost this year, he had a good amount of time to find a team to pay him money.  $3M sounds about right for him

re-signing with the Bills.

Keep Jordan fresh and they need to work Oliver like a dog early in the season.  It's his contract year and he has had the advantage of the

heavy rotation his first 4 years.

Yea the void years are a result of covid as much as anything. That screwed the cap for a couple of years and teams are still digging their way out of it a bit. I think they will reduce again in time but the last 2/3 offseasons everyone has been using them. Even traditional cash to cap teams.

• Agree 1

With all of this I believe what you’re seeing is Beane coming to terms with their present cap situation. (Not that he didn’t already know.) He doesn’t have a ton of money to throw around and he knows he’s got more than enough holes to fill. Looks to me like they’re going to roll the dice with the guys they know, pray for less injuries next season, and use the draft to replace those that left for ‘greener’ pastures. It’s becoming clear that they are NOT in a rebuilding mode.

20 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I'm actually a little surprised they haven't re signed Lawson. Wasn't he on a vet minimum deal last year? He's pretty good at that price imo

He is probably next.   Honestly he earned a raise IMO, probably holding out for something

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.